• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

When Did Systemic Racism End?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think a reasonable discussion of this requires a precise definition of "systemic racism".
I don't think the definition needs to be precise.

There currently exists sharp racial divides in homeownership, education, criminal justice, wealth and healthcare, to name a few. Why is that so?

Well I'm not a "Conservative" but I would say that since we have minority lawyers, doctors, SCOTUS Justices, Congresspeople, and even a minority President, that cries of "Waaaa systemic racism!!" are falling short.
I acknowledge the problems in the past and racial history in the US but I think that until here recently we were moving beyond it pretty well.
Now: *sigh*.
I just dont know. Theres a lot of White Guilt out there IMO and racism against Whites, a lot of finger pointing and scapegoating.
I'm not sure we're moving in the right direction anymore.
I’m not questioning that some people still behave disgracefully, but “systematic” implies that behavior is codified or expected. I’m pretty sure that cops aren’t told “kill a black guy tonight”.

It's not the "minority lawyers, doctors, SCOTUS Justices, Congresspeople, and even a minority President" that you should be looking at for being thumbed down by systemic racism. Look at the lower middle class POC. Everything that you take for granted is denied them on a regular basis.
Very generic - do you have specific examples?

I suggest that the statistics of today indicate the issue is not in the past. Household wealth, political representation, medical outcomes...what measurement do you think is important?
And you claim race is tha SOLE reason for those discrepancies?

I think even conservatives will agree that systemic racism was indeed a very real problem in the past. What else could one call the slave economy and Jim Crow laws of the South, the red-lining of cities, etc? But most conservatives say systemic racism is no longer an issue. So when exactly did it end?
It didn't. No honest person can say that racism today isn't FAR worse than it was antebellum. Back then we merely kept blacks as slaves. Today we hire state sponsored militias to hunt them down and kill them. No black person alive today, already burdened with the chains of their forefathers, can possibly have hope for their future and white people steal from them, bind them to poverty and destroy the hopes and dreams that come with education.

Did I get that right?

Just spouting trite cliches proves nothing. Those incidents are generally one individual misbehaving. Samples of one are not reliable.

Just posting the same old racism-denier talking points like right wingers ALWAYS do proves nothing. Samples of one when repeated often enough are reliable. What's not reliable is simply dismissing systemic racism out-of-hand.

Thats very unconvincing.
You've failed to persuade me to your point of view.

Gosh. That sounds pretty rough. :cry:
You're really flashing me some virtue here.

I am simply responding to the standard right wing talking points/Strawmen that you posted in your first repsonse in the thread. You really don't have anything better???????

I don't think the definition needs to be precise.

There currently exists sharp racial divides in homeownership, education, criminal justice, wealth and healthcare, to name a few. Why is that so?

That is indeed the question. And one of the answers offered is that it is due to "systemic racism". And the thread began with the question, "when did systemic racism end" (really meaning "has sytemic racism ended").

If we are going to discuss whether "something" really is the root cause of problems we observe, and if we are going to discuss whether that "thing" has ended or not, it would be very useful if everyone was talking about the same "thing". So yes, a precise definition of "systemic racism" really is necessary for a fruitful discussion.

That is indeed the question. And one of the answers offered is that it is due to "systemic racism". And the thread began with the question, "when did systemic racism end" (really meaning "has sytemic racism ended").

If we are going to discuss whether "something" really is the root cause of problems we observe, and if we are going to discuss whether that "thing" has ended or not, it would be very useful if everyone was talking about the same "thing". So yes, a precise definition of "systemic racism" really is necessary for a fruitful discussion.

Ummmmm......then quit beating around the bush and offer a “precise definition”.

Who couldn't openly oppose a person because of race? Businesses? Individuals? Police departments/governments? Even if they had to stop being open about it you think that would stop oppression?
All of those.

You move the goal post. First you are talking about systemic racism. Now you are talking about generic bigotry. It's a different conversation

And yes, Southern Democrats of the 50s and 60s were super conservative, socially.
Fiscally as well.

That's why those southerners are Republicans today!
This does not follow. They jumped to the Republican party in 1980. Reagan was running on economics, jobs and optimism.

Well first of all Bobby Kennedy wasn't a black person?
Congratulations. You figured that out.

It's odd that you did not mention Malcolm X. Is it because he was killed by another black?

Second of all Bobby Kennedy wasn't The Martin Luther King Jr.
He was arguably bigger in the scheme of things.

Third, you're retarded.
Ad homs already?

There is no cure for bigotry. It is part of being human. Currently there is a movement to make systemic racism against whites and Christians acceptable, which is a cure worse than the disease.

Last edited:
Just posting the same old racism-denier talking points like right wingers ALWAYS do proves nothing. Samples of one when repeated often enough are reliable. What's not reliable is simply dismissing systemic racism out-of-hand.
So, you got nothing, other than hurling grenades at righties?

So, you got nothing, other than hurling grenades at righties?

Ummmm....you’re the one who started with the “proves nothing” bit. How was that “discussion”. It wasn’t.
Sorry if you don’t care for your own medicine.

Ummmm....you’re the one who started with the “proves nothing” bit. How was that “discussion”. It wasn’t.
Sorry if you don’t care for your own medicine.
You don;t understand how someone can discount what you’ve offered? Comeback with reasons why it IS relevant. That IS discussion.

The bottom line is that some people don't want to understand that explicit racism and structural racism are different. The best case could be made and some will likely continue to say that there's no structural racism.

The racism term was omitted with 'white privilege' but some people still find that to be unreasonable.

Social scientists study this issue and come to significant conclusions, but some people aren't going to buy it.

I don't think that everyone causes structural racism, therefore I think that we don't need everyone to acknowledge it. Maybe policies can take care of the issue.

@Schism - you should start a new thread. Those issues deserve their own discussion.

You don;t understand how someone can discount what you’ve offered? Comeback with reasons why it IS relevant. That IS discussion.

Actually, the phrase “proves nothing”—PROVES NOTHING unless you also include reasons as to why.
Once again, so sorry that you do not care for your own medicine.

The bottom line is that some people don't want to understand that explicit racism and structural racism are different. The best case could be made and some will likely continue to say that there's no structural racism.

The racism term was omitted with 'white privilege' but some people still find that to be unreasonable.

Social scientists study this issue and come to significant conclusions, but some people aren't going to buy it.

I don't think that everyone causes structural racism, therefore I think that we don't need everyone to acknowledge it. Maybe policies can take care of the issue.
From the way you use the term, I don't think you understand what structural racism is. Specifically, structural racism is that which is explicit in the laws, rules and regulations and it's fair to say that it still exists. Generally, it's designed to favor minorities, eg affirmative action.

Some people find the term white privilege racist and offensive.

From the way you use the term, I don't think you understand what structural racism is. Specifically, structural racism is that which is explicit in the laws, rules and regulations and it's fair to say that it still exists. Generally, it's designed to favor minorities, eg affirmative action.

Some people find the term white privilege racist and offensive.
Chuckle.

You're posting links to cases of explicit/blatant racism in a structural racism thread.

In other words, you want to vilify Caucasians instead of discussing racism as it exists in our country.

The truth is? Nothing is holding Blacks down or back from achieving anything they set their minds to.

You want evidence? Just look at the accomplishments of Black Americans. They overcame the same hurdles we all face.

And yet for some reason, people like you want to tell them they've been left behind. I'll even bet that you're white.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom