• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

When Did Systemic Racism End?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geoist

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
I think even conservatives will agree that systemic racism was indeed a very real problem in the past. What else could one call the slave economy and Jim Crow laws of the South, the red-lining of cities, etc? But most conservatives say systemic racism is no longer an issue. So when exactly did it end?

I think even conservatives will agree that systemic racism was indeed a very real problem in the past. What else could one call the slave economy and Jim Crow laws of the South, the red-lining of cities, etc? But most conservatives say systemic racism is no longer an issue. So when exactly did it end?
It will end when people are really judged by the content of their character and not the color of their skin.
That hasn't happened yet. It will be a great day when it does.

I think even conservatives will agree that systemic racism was indeed a very real problem in the past.
I’m not sure all conservatives would agree even with this.

Well I'm not a "Conservative" but I would say that since we have minority lawyers, doctors, SCOTUS Justices, Congresspeople, and even a minority President, that cries of "Waaaa systemic racism!!" are falling short.
I acknowledge the problems in the past and racial history in the US but I think that until here recently we were moving beyond it pretty well.
Now: *sigh*.
I just dont know. Theres a lot of White Guilt out there IMO and racism against Whites, a lot of finger pointing and scapegoating.
I'm not sure we're moving in the right direction anymore.

Well I'm not a "Conservative" but I would say that since we have minority lawyers, doctors, SCOTUS Justices, Congresspeople, and even a minority President, that cries of "Waaaa systemic racism!!" are falling short.
I acknowledge the problems in the past and racial history in the US but I think that until here recently we were moving beyond it pretty well.
I just dont know. Theres a lot of White Guilt out there IMO and racism against Whites, a lot of finger pointing and scapegoating.
It's not the "minority lawyers, doctors, SCOTUS Justices, Congresspeople, and even a minority President" that you should be looking at for being thumbed down by systemic racism. Look at the lower middle class POC. Everything that you take for granted is denied them on a regular basis.

PW, I've seen your posts before and you seem pretty dang conservative, at least on social issues.

So you think because we have black lawyers and hispanic doctors then there is no more systemic racism? So, in your mind, there was no systemic racism in the South during the Reconstruction because it had black congressmen?

blackcongress.jpg

It's not the "minority lawyers, doctors, SCOTUS Justices, Congresspeople, and even a minority President" that you should be looking at for being thumbed down by systemic racism. Look at the lower middle class POC. Everything that you take for granted is denied them on a regular basis.

*chuckle*

I disagree.

PW, I've seen your posts before and you seem pretty dang conservative, at least on social issues.

Well, I'm not. I'm also not afflicted with White Guilt either though.

So, in your mind, there was no systemic racism in the South during the Reconstruction?

LOL, now you're talking about Reconstruction.

Guys, turns out we didn't need to make any systemic changes at all in this country. After all, Frederick Douglas made it! :rolleyes:

Recognizing reality/history has nothing to do with 'white guilt.'

The point went clear over your head, PW. You point to successful minorities as 'proof' systemic racism doesn't exist. 19th century had black congressmen, so apparently no systemic changes were necessary, right?

Prove your statement that “there’s a lot of white guilt out there”. The ONLY time I ever hear the phrase is when RIGHT WINGERS accuse liberals of making the claim, which if a falsehood. Show us all the “white guilt that’s out there”.
Same with the so-called racism against whites. It continues to amaze me that the right wingers such as yourself can find all sorts of “racism against whites”, but none any more against blacks no matter how hard they try.

No one is “afflicted with white guilt”. The only ones that I ever hear use the term is right wingers like yourself. It’s ridiculous. And a falsehood.

Recognizing reality/history has nothing to do with 'white guilt.'

The point went clear over your head, PW. You point to successful minorities as 'proof' systemic racism doesn't exist. 19th century had black congressmen, so apparently no systemic changes were necessary, right?
I do "recognize history".
But I've moved on. You should too!

I suggest that the statistics of today indicate the issue is not in the past. Household wealth, political representation, medical outcomes...what measurement do you think is important?

LMAO. Uh huh. Sure it is.
You would have no way of knowing that. Or, even guessing at that. I wish that I had the power to make white people black for at least a year or two. What you could learn! They wouldn't know you where you work, so you could start out applying for jobs as a black man in REAL America. You'd like that!

I do "recognize history".
But I've moved on. You should too!

What does that mean, "moved on?" So we're supposed to ignore the impact of history on the present and future? Are you acknowledging the idiocy of the 'successful and famous people of color' argument?

I suggest that the statistics of today indicate the issue is not in the past. Household wealth, political representation, medical outcomes...what measurement do you think is important?

Clarence Thomas is a Supreme Court justice! Boom! End of racism!!!

You would have no way of knowing that. Or, even guessing at that. I wish that I had the power to make white people black for at least a year or two. What you could learn! They wouldn't know you where you work, so you could start out applying for jobs as a black man in REAL America. You'd like that!

Tell me. What was given to me, a European White Male, that is "denied on a regular basis" to the "oppressed" blacks?
Tell me.

BWAHAHAHAHA, oh my.
You're breaking my heart.
Should we have a pity party?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom