• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

When Did Systemic Racism End?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ummmmm......then quit beating around the bush and offer a “precise definition”.

The OP asked the question. Perhaps they should offer the definition.

In other words, you want to vilify Caucasians instead of discussing racism as it exists in our country.

The truth is? Nothing is holding Blacks down or back from achieving anything they set their minds to.

You want evidence? Just look at the accomplishments of Black Americans. They overcame the same hurdles we all face.

And yet for some reason, people like you want to tell them they've been left behind. I'll even bet that you're white.
There currently exists sharp racial divides in homeownership, education, criminal justice, wealth and healthcare, to name a few. Why is that so?

Actually, the phrase “proves nothing”—PROVES NOTHING unless you also include reasons as to why.
Once again, so sorry that you do not care for your own medicine.
You making rules up as you go along?

I think even conservatives will agree that systemic racism was indeed a very real problem in the past. What else could one call the slave economy and Jim Crow laws of the South, the red-lining of cities, etc? But most conservatives say systemic racism is no longer an issue. So when exactly did it end?
No later than when an electorate that was 75% white voted a black man for President of the United States, twice.

From the way you use the term, I don't think you understand what structural racism is. Specifically, structural racism is that which is explicit in the laws, rules and regulations and it's fair to say that it still exists. Generally, it's designed to favor minorities, eg affirmative action.

Some people find the term white privilege racist and offensive.

Some people find white privilege offensive.

The OP asked the question. Perhaps they should offer the definition.

You’re the one who’s complaining. So I take it that all you have is complaints and not solutions.

No later than when an electorate that was 75% white voted a black man for President of the United States, twice.
There currently exists sharp racial divides in homeownership, education, criminal justice, wealth and healthcare, to name a few. Why is that so?

Long form here.

Post in thread 'Where "Woke" Social Justice Foolishness is Taking Us'
https://debatepolitics.com/threads/...olishness-is-taking-us.429459/post-1072983727

Just to be clear, am I reading that you feel that black people's behavior is the root cause of racial disparities in wealth, healthcare, education, criminal justice, etc?

So, when a white person and a black person do exactly the same thing, like get caught with weed, or apply for an apartment or goes to the Dr, it's always the black person's behavior during the encounter that causes them to get treated differently than a white person?

How about when 70+ million of them then voted for the guy who peddled conspiracy theories about the first black President secretly being born in Africa and therefore ineligible?

Just to be clear, am I reading that you feel that black people's behavior is the root cause of racial disparities in wealth, healthcare, education, criminal justice, etc?

So, when a white person and a black person do exactly the same thing, like get caught with weed, or apply for an apartment, it's always the black person's behavior during the interview or during the arrest that causes them to get treated differently than a white person?
I am saying that the data says that by avoiding certain voluntary behaviors one can nearly eliminate their chances of winding up poor. That this holds regardless of race strongly suggests that racism is not the factor your and others claim it to be.

I am saying that the data says that by avoiding certain voluntary behaviors one can nearly eliminate their chances of winding up poor. That this holds regardless of race strongly suggests that racism is not the factor your and others claim it to be.

I haven't claimed anything in this thread.

So, again, when a white person and a black person do exactly the same thing, like get caught with weed, or apply for an apartment or go to the Dr, it's always the black person's behavior during the encounter that causes them to get treated differently than a white person?

I haven't claimed anything in this thread.

So, again, when a white person and a black person do exactly the same thing, like get caught with weed, or apply for an apartment or go to the Dr, it's always the black person's behavior during the encounter that causes them to get treated differently than a white person?
You’re welcome to explore whatever premise you like. I was asked a question and I answered it. Systemic racism is not what is driving black poverty in the 21st century. It’s culture. The data there is clear.

I’m simply responding to your posts of nothingness.
Nothingness in that I’m asking you to actual defend the slogans and mantras you spew so easily. Should be easy. IF systematic racism is a real thing.

Nothingness in that I’m asking you to actual defend the slogans and mantras you spew so easily. Should be easy. IF systematic racism is a real thing.

I’m asking you to defend your standard right wing talking points. So far you have continued to say nothing of any merit whatsoever.

You’re welcome to explore whatever premise you like. I was asked a question and I answered it. Systemic racism is not what is driving black poverty in the 21st century. It’s culture. The data there is clear.
Does your data also show that "cultural values" are responsible for racial disparities in housing, healthcare, criminal justice, etc?

Cherry-picking "poverty" while ignoring the other racial disparities is disingenuous.

Blacks have achieved greatness at every level, in every area of gov't, public and private corporations, institutions and universities, finance and education, science and technology.

And yet Democrats have run out of ideas on how to break the cycle of generational poverty and gov't assistance, that Democrats set up, Democrats administered, with leadership made up of people of color and minorities. And now after 50 years, they claim it's racism keeping them there. No it is not. It is the failed social policies of Democrats that have been unable to educate 3 generations of inner city blacks, teach a vocation, or lure away from the easy money of gangs, rap, and drugs.

Democrats have failed Black America and are now claiming it's everyone else's fault.

Does your data also show that "cultural values" are responsible for racial disparities in housing, healthcare, criminal justice, etc?

Cherry-picking "poverty" while ignoring the other racial disparities is disingenuous.
No, it’s not my data, but it does show that culture drives poverty regardless of race. Fact, not opinion.

Blacks have achieved greatness at every level, in every area of gov't, public and private corporations, institutions and universities, finance and education, science and technology.

And yet Democrats have run out of ideas on how to break the cycle of generational poverty and gov't assistance, that Democrats set up, Democrats administered, with leadership made up of people of color and minorities. And now after 50 years, they claim it's racism keeping them there. No it is not. It is the failed social policies of Democrats that have been unable to educate 3 generations of inner city blacks, teach a vocation, or lure away from the easy money of gangs, rap, and drugs.

Democrats have failed Black America and are now claiming it's everyone else's fault.
Centuries of chattel slavery followed by centuries of all of the other abuses doesn't negatively affect a group of people, in general?

Has welfare and whatever else you're talking about damaged only Blacks? Because Blacks aren't the only people that received these things, right?

Can you give specifics and mechanisms that support your viewpoint?

And can you give the same for what will work? Is it Republican policies?

Centuries of chattel slavery followed by centuries of all of the other abuses doesn't negatively affect a group of people, in general?

Has welfare and whatever else you're talking about damaged only Blacks? Because Blacks aren't the only people that received these things, right?

Can you give specifics and mechanisms that support your viewpoint?

And can you give the same for what will work? Is it Republican policies?

Choose to achieve and make something of yourself or not. It's your choice. How long to support people who don't? or won't?

Colleges, universities, gov't agencies, public and private corporations are filled with African American success stories. The only obstacles are the ones we all face.

Quit pretending that democrats have not been in charge of the inner cities since the 60's and 70's. They've tried everything and failed. Now they want to blame Trump. LOL

Choose to achieve and make something of yourself or not. It's your choice. How long to support people who don't? or won't?

Colleges, universities, gov't agencies, public and private corporations are filled with African American success stories. The only obstacles are the ones we all face.

Quit pretending that democrats have not been in charge of the inner cities since the 60's and 70's. They've tried everything and failed. Now they want to blame Trump. LOL
At least try to address the first question?:

Well I'm not a "Conservative" but I would say that since we have minority lawyers, doctors, SCOTUS Justices, Congresspeople, and even a minority President, that cries of "Waaaa systemic racism!!" are falling short.
I acknowledge the problems in the past and racial history in the US but I think that until here recently we were moving beyond it pretty well.
Now: *sigh*.
I just dont know. Theres a lot of White Guilt out there IMO and racism against Whites, a lot of finger pointing and scapegoating.
I'm not sure we're moving in the right direction anymore.

You need a little help how to look at the issue. You're right, that 'ceilings' where the discrimination was so high that those positions were unavailable to black people being removed is a lot of good progress. But it's not the main issue.

The issue is also not the wrongs done in the past themselves. Slavery was terrible, but nothing can be done for the slaves. Rather, for the issue, look at the effects the history has had that affect people today - how centuries of generations of people prevented from equality have resulted in a lot of effects today leading to inequality.

Look at how black people generally are having equality in the economy, and how their being on the bottom is affected by the history, not at a half-black president, to ask how we're doing on the effects of historic racism. When you can look and see blacks generally with equal opportunity, then we've addressed it, and there's no need for more correction.

'White guilt' isn't what's needed, and I don't like the term 'white privilege'. The point isn't, 'people 200 years ago who had your skin color had slaves and that was bad, so pay black people now for that'. Rather, recognizing 'my family did better and better generation after generation while you have less opportunity because yours was prevented, so let's have more equality' is the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom