• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

When Did Systemic Racism End?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tell me. What was given to me, a European White Male, that is "denied on a regular basis" to the "oppressed" blacks?
Tell me.

Your every move is not followed when you enter a store. If you are driving an expensive car, you are not stopped by a policeman and told “you don’t look like you should be driving this car.
Racism today is not being called a “n****r”, but rather a “thousand small cuts” that are a part of life every single day. You haven’t a clue.

Clarence Thomas is a Supreme Court justice! Boom! End of racism!!!
You would call Thomas an "Uncle Tom" because he educated himself, learned proper English, and became wildly successful.
You dont like blacks that are like Clarence Thomas. They challenge you, you think they should be looking to you for assistance. But the Clarence Thomas types dont do that.

You have to be like Barack, not like Lil Wayne IMO.
(y)

Liberals are some of the worst racists, they just practice it in more subtle and sleazy ways.

No matter how often you say that (and it’s a lot), it’s still nothing more than a standard right wing TALKING
POINT when the issue is race.

Tell me. What was given to me, a European White Male, that is "denied on a regular basis" to the "oppressed" blacks?
Tell me.
They don't have your good looks and white skin. That's all that was given to you. The rest was probably earned by you due to your hard work and the ease of being a hardworking white man. If you don't believe that black people get shunned for jobs, how about trying to move into an all white neighborhood? They get talked out of that. It's not the level playing field that you're making it out to be.

No matter how often you say that (and it’s a lot), it’s still nothing more than a standard right wing TALKING
POINT when the issue is race.

Maybe you should teach what liberal racism is to your liberal friends on here, and set the example for conservatives to follow.

I think even conservatives will agree that systemic racism was indeed a very real problem in the past. What else could one call the slave economy and Jim Crow laws of the South, the red-lining of cities, etc? But most conservatives say systemic racism is no longer an issue. So when exactly did it end?
While there is no specific event, by the time Bakke was decided in 1978 you can make a realistic argument that it was over. Certainly, by then you could not openly oppose a person because of race.

I’m not sure all conservatives would agree even with this.
Why not? Are you saying Democrats in the 1950s and 60s were conservative?

Oh, no, wait that was when MLK was assassinated
and Bobby Kennedy. The relevance is unclear.

I think even conservatives will agree that systemic racism was indeed a very real problem in the past. What else could one call the slave economy and Jim Crow laws of the South, the red-lining of cities, etc? But most conservatives say systemic racism is no longer an issue. So when exactly did it end?
The simple answer is it hasn't . . .

systemic, systematic and institutionalized racism is alive and well unfortunately

Of course, things are better than they used to be in our society and we are improving but things like this aren;t magically erased . . it lingers because its part of the culture that has to be removed and that takes time

You would call Thomas an "Uncle Tom" because he educated himself, learned proper English, and became wildly successful.
You dont like blacks that are like Clarence Thomas. They challenge you, you think they should be looking to you for assistance. But the Clarence Thomas types dont do that.

You have to be like Barack, not like Lil Wayne IMO.
(y)

Actually I just call Thomas a conservative asshole and that's why I don't like him.

Lil Wayne is wildly successful. More than double Barack's net worth. Not even a fan, but that's the reality.

They don't have your good looks and white skin. That's all that was given to you. The rest was probably earned by you due to your hard work and the ease of being a hardworking white man. If you don't believe that black people get shunned for jobs, how about trying to move into an all white neighborhood? They get talked out of that. It's not the level playing field that you're making it out to be.

Thats very unconvincing.
You've failed to persuade me to your point of view.
Your every move is not followed when you enter a store. If you are driving an expensive car, you are not stopped by a policeman and told “you don’t look like you should be driving this car.
Racism today is not being called a “n****r”, but rather a “thousand small cuts” that are a part of life every single day. You haven’t a clue.

Gosh. That sounds pretty rough. :cry:
You're really flashing me some virtue here.

While there is no specific event, by the time Bakke was decided in 1978 you can make a realistic argument that it was over. Certainly, by then you could not openly oppose a person because of race.

Who couldn't openly oppose a person because of race? Businesses? Individuals? Police departments/governments? Even if they had to stop being open about it you think that would stop oppression?

And yes, Southern Democrats of the 50s and 60s were super conservative, socially. That's why those southerners are Republicans today!

I doubt an exact instant can be defined. Was it when “colored only” signs came down? Or poll taxes/tests were abolished? Or red-lining? Was affirmative action and quotas a reduction of systematic racist or just another form? Some might even argue CRT and “white privilege” are new forms of systematic racism.

I doubt an exact instant can be defined. Was it when “colored only” signs came down? Or poll taxes/tests were abolished? Or red-lining? Was affirmative action and quotas a reduction of systematic racist or just another form? Some might even argue CRT and “white privilege” are new forms of systematic racism.

White privilege is not new, though.

I think a reasonable discussion of this requires a precise definition of "systemic racism".

Well first of all Bobby Kennedy wasn't a black person?

Second of all Bobby Kennedy wasn't The Martin Luther King Jr.

Third, you're retarded.

What is it with you guys? How much popcorn do I have to make in a given week? 🍿

Just spouting trite cliches proves nothing. Those incidents are generally one individual misbehaving. Samples of one are not reliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom