• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What message did Chief Justice Roberts send the country in his majority opinion?

Maybe his message was:

"Unlike these partisan peckerheads I work with, I have an opinion of my own and that opinion is that this can be constitutional."

Apparently Roberts had two opinions on this case. He appears to have written most of the conservative dissent before he pulled a switcheroo. Then he wrote the majority opinon which no other member of the Court was willing to join.

I do come here to learn. So thank you.

Of course, now it makes less sense. So the question returns to WHY.

Apparently Roberts had two opinions on this case. He appears to have written most of the conservative dissent before he pulled a switcheroo. Then he wrote the majority opinon which no other member of the Court was willing to join.

that's what the dems want-a majority of the voters sucking on the public tit

I think you are scared of people like us

I'm in a federal state government program for vocational rehabilitation for the disabled. For every dollar they spend four dollars are generated in tax revenue

Because we will come along and kick your lazy butt. Mainly because we appreciate opportunities and do a better job.

He is stating the obvious. His job is to judge whether it fits within our legal framework, not whether it is a good idea. Whether it is a good idea is left to the other branches, and the voters who put them in place, to decide.

He is stating "judge job description 101," for all the people who seem to have forgotten.

I do come here to learn. So thank you.

Of course, now it makes less sense. So the question returns to WHY.

I don't know as a matter of personal knowledge. But I think Justice Kennedy's law clerks are disclosing these facts because of the extraordinary behavior of Chief Justice Roberts. Kennedy and the conservative justices are apparently so irrate they have gone so far as to call Roberts a sophist in their dissent. I have never heard of such behavior by a jurist. Conservative law school professors are destroying Robert's reputation. The entire conservative movement is on fire.

I don't know as a matter of personal knowledge. But I think Justice Kennedy's law clerks are disclosing these facts because of the extraordinary behavior of Chief Justice Roberts. Kennedy and the conservative justices are apparently so irrate they have gone so far as to call Roberts a sophist in their dissent. I have never heard of such behavior by a jurist. Conservative law school professors are destroying Robert's reputation. The entire conservative movement is on fire.

Both conservatives and liberals should be concerned about this. It seems we have a chief justice of the supreme court who buckled under political attacks from the president and the lead democratic senator on the judiciary committee.

America holds (or held) so much hope to minorities etc, in my view because we were a country of laws, not men. The supreme court was there to protect minorities from the tyranny of the majority. If that is deemed lost, it will have a greater impact than any single opinion.

Both conservatives and liberals should be concerned about this. It seems we have a chief justice of the supreme court who buckled under political attacks from the president and the lead democratic senator on the judiciary committee.

America holds (or held) so much hope to minorities etc, in my view because we were a country of laws, not men. The supreme court was there to protect minorities from the tyranny of the majority. If that is deemed lost, it will have a greater impact than any single opinion.

Oh, please. Why would he do that? What on earth does Roberts have to lose by defying the president and a senator?

Nothing, that's what. He's got a life-long gig, and it's almost impossible to remove him from it. He has no reason why he should give any kind of a crap what anyone thinks. They can't touch him.

A judges job is not to "protect minorities from tyranny." It is to determine whether something is within the legal framework of the country. Believe it or not, our framework is not bulletproof. There is plenty of legally feasible tyranny that is possible (although I wouldn't agree with you that this is any such case).

Now, if you're unhappy about the state of the law, if you believe said law allows tyranny, that is what the legislative branch is for.

Oh, please. Why would he do that? What on earth does Roberts have to lose by defying the president and a senator?

Nothing, that's what. He's got a life-long gig, and it's almost impossible to remove him from it. He has no reason why he should give any kind of a crap what anyone thinks. They can't touch him.

A judges job is not to "protect minorities from tyranny." It is to determine whether something is within the legal framework of the country. Believe it or not, our framework is not bulletproof. There is plenty of legally feasible tyranny that is possible (although I wouldn't agree with you that this is any such case).

Now, if you're unhappy about the state of the law, if you believe said law allows tyranny, that is what the legislative branch is for.

OK let's discuss constitutionality then. The SCOTUS does not make law, they simply evaluate law as to whether it conforms to the constitution, or not. It is NOT "judicial activism" to declare a law, or lower court ruling based on a law, as unconstitional, no matter how popular it may be. Justice Roberts wrote a "majority" opinion that NO other justice, even those voting for making the PPACA law stand (based on the commerce clause, that he asserted was WRONG), would sign on to. That makes the majority opinion, in effect, only his; is that NOT judicial activism of the highest order? For a federal law to be constitutional it MUST be based on a power ACTUALLY granted to the federal gov't by the constitution.

Justice Roberts claimed that since IRS was involved, IN A MINOR WAY with the individual mandate (a penalty for NOT engaging in commerce, by spending income on medical care insurance), that it was not unconstitutional. A very bad legal decision, IMHO, as it ignores the REAL issue, which is the federal gov't requiring a citizen to either purchase a PRIVATE good or service, that has NO basis on any federal power granted by the constitution AT ALL, or to be assessed a penalty (or added tax).

The federal power to tax INCOME (IRS) comes only from the 16th amendment, that simply allows INCOME from all sources to be taxed. IMHO, Roberts has, in fact, become an "activist" judge in allowing HOW INCOME WAS SPENT, rather that simply the income itself, to be subjected to enequal consideration for purposes of taxation. Two citizens both making EXACTLY $50K in income (from any source) should not be taxed any more, or less, than the other, based on the 14th amendment requiring EQUAL protection under the law.

The bulk of our 80,000+ pages of FIT law is addressing how income was spent with its MANY credits, deductions and exclusions, so is NOT based on the income from all sources, but rather on how that income was LATER spent, and is therefore unconstitutional. The SCOTUS is far too lenient in giving even a slight INDIRECT relationship to a federally authorized power (e.g. taxation), to serve as a reason to say that a law is constitutional. Simply using the IRS as a collection agency does NOT make the PPACA fine/penalty LEGAL, as NOTHING in the constitution gives the federal gov't power to order a citizen to buy a private product or service, to reward them for doing so or to punish them for not doing so.

Last edited:
what message did he send?

"I am not a slave to the Republican Party"

More like "I will be a judicial activist, to prove that the SCOTUS is not full of judicial activists".

How can a majority opinion be agreed upon, by a minority of only ONE?

Justice Roberts may have been saying to President Obama," Here's the tax increase you promised the middle class they would never see."

SCOTUS gets its power only from perceived legitimacy. Reason its approval rating has gone down is after crap like the 2000 election and Citizens United, it's been seen as being hopelessly partial, above the legislative process, and not concerned with interpreting and upholding the Constitution. This ruling makes their opponents come across as nuts when they say things like they won't confirm ANY nominee in the future, when look what a W appointee just did. The court depends on unpredictability and impartiality. Another split along party lines in such a huge case would have been very bad for the court.

So your solution to a Supreme Court that's (allegedly) viewed as issuing its opinions based on political considerations is for the Court to issue an opinion based on political considerations?

And if you're correct, why did it fall to Roberts to change sides and not one of the liberals? If the court's "perceived legitimacy" is the source of its power (which it isn't) then all the justices had something to lose by a 5-4 decision on party lines.

So your solution to a Supreme Court that's (allegedly) viewed as issuing its opinions based on political considerations is for the Court to issue an opinion based on political considerations?

And if you're correct, why did it fall to Roberts to change sides and not one of the liberals? If the court's "perceived legitimacy" is the source of its power (which it isn't) then all the justices had something to lose by a 5-4 decision on party lines.

Because it is the president and the democratic senator who attacked the court, a 5-4 decision against Obamacare would have reinforced the view they are pushing. Not really hard to understand.

A very bad legal decision, IMHO, as it ignores the REAL issue, which is the federal gov't requiring a citizen to either purchase a PRIVATE good or service, that has NO basis on any federal power granted by the constitution AT ALL, or to be assessed a penalty (or added tax).

There are a lot of "behaviors" or purchases that are routinely rewarded in the tax code. For example, buying a house, adopting a child, or charitable contributions. Contributions to your 401k are not taxed even though they are income. If the government can reward in the tax code, can they not also punish?

If you don't have health insurance, aren't you basically on the "government paid plan" anyway?

Last edited:
There are a lot of "behaviors" or purchases that are routinely rewarded in the tax code. For example, buying a house, adopting a child, or charitable contributions. Contributions to your 401k are not taxed even though they are income. If the government can reward in the tax code, can they not also punish?

If you don't have health insurance, aren't you basically on the "government paid plan" anyway?

That is EXACTLY my point. These other expenses and behaviors have NOTHING to do with "taxation of income FROM all sources", they are rewards/penalties for how that income was LATER spent, tacked on one by one over many decades. That is based on NO federal power granted by the constitution at all, it was simply invented, out of thin air by congress, and deemed by a majority to be "good" or "fair" based on NOTHING other than a desire to do so. Your INCOME is not reduced, simply based on how you choose to spend it; that is PURE fiction added to the FIT code to "adjust" the taxable income based on "social engineering" principles. Simply because something is placed on an FIT form, does not make it magically constitutional, if it has NOTHING to do with taxation of income, the ONLY constitutional REASON for this federal power. PPACA was NEVER designed to be or called a tax, that was an invention of justice Roberts alone, and supported by NO other justice, even those that WRONGLY thought that the commerce clause made PPACA law constitutional.

What message did Chief Justice Roberts send the country in his majority opinion?

"Supreme Court is full of Globalists," by concentrating power into the hands of higher levels of centralized state power, and big business.

Because it is the president and the democratic senator who attacked the court, a 5-4 decision against Obamacare would have reinforced the view they are pushing. Not really hard to understand.
Not if Ginsburg switched.

Agree with Roberts decision or not...and im not going to debate that...You have to admire his courage. He knew what he was in for before declared his decision. He knew he would be vilified and maligned by the right and even his fellow far right justices. He was right .
I give him the respect he deserves for standing up for his convictions in the face of that and not just take the easy full partisan route.

Agree with Roberts decision or not...and im not going to debate that...You have to admire his courage. He knew what he was in for before declared his decision. He knew he would be vilified and maligned by the right and even his fellow far right justices. He was right .
I give him the respect he deserves for standing up for his convictions in the face of that and not just take the easy full partisan route.

The most effective judge is one which looks at the overall good of the Court. He or she is willing to cross party lines in order of preservation of the court rather than focusing on their own ideological purity. That seems to be the common theme in what are considered to be the greatest chief ustices throughout the history of the Supreme Court.

"Congress has the power to tax".

that's the message.

3. CHIEF JUSTICE ROBERTS concluded in Part III–B that the individual mandate must be construed as imposing a tax on those who do
not have health insurance, if such a construction is reasonable.

That's the message.

I personally do not find such construction reasonable.

Yet the court previously had in Hooper v. California. “every reasonable construction must be resorted to, in order to
save a statute from unconstitutionality,” Imagine that. They granted themselves the power to construct. :roll:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom