• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What is the most adventurous thing you have ever done?

It's definitely been an experience. :mrgreen:

I've been trying to talk my brother into signing up for a while now. I think it'd do him a lot of good.

Military service would do a lot of people a lot of good. At the very least they'd learn self-discipline and leadership. As for your bro? Try harder! LOL ;)

I rode a 15 speed bicycle up the coast of California to the Washington and Oregon border then across to NYC. We zigg-zagged up and and down most of the northern states and into Canada a bit. It took about 3 1/2 months and we camped the whole way. I carried about 50lbs on my bike. It was an amazing adventure. How about you?

You win.

Mine are either based around the military or my family, but, I would have to say that making the lifelong commitment to be a father to two boys is mine.

You win.

Mine are either based around the military or my family, but, I would have to say that making the lifelong commitment to be a father to two boys is mine.

Military sounds pretty adventurous. Although, parenting really does remain my most rewarding adventure. How old are they?

Thanks for sharing your personal album. I enjoyed looking through it.

No problem. This website allows us to make such an album, those pics are hosted here (at my profile). Thanks to the website (well, the owner and staff, it wouldn't make much sense to thank an object).

That's very cool man. :thumbs: Peace corps??

PhD research, but mainly looking for a place to settle down. I plan to live there after teaching (Intro. to Env Sci) highschool (to give back) for a few years. My research revealed the problems with organic conversion of the cash crop (tea), from production to collection, processing and marketing. I'll spend the rest of my life trying to address those difficulties and achieve conversion, to secure the top of the Mt. Kenya watershed.

Military sounds pretty adventurous. Although, parenting really does remain my most rewarding adventure. How old are they?

20 and 23. Youngest in college, oldest working for my company (insert proud dad smile here) and getting his Masters. I've been their Cub Master, Scoutmaster, PTO president, athletics coach, emergency medical technician, enforcer (when others made the mistake of messing with mine), guidance counselor, best friend, worst enemy (in their eyes when I wouldn't let them do something stupid), engineering instructor, cooking instructor, sex ed instructor (reluctantly and embarrassingly for both me and them, but I made them listen, and still do), and so on.

I cannot for the life of me get them to wash their damned clothes or iron them though. I'm fighting an uphill battle on that one since their mom is the main obstacle (great woman, perfect wife, and the worlds best mom).

PhD research, but mainly looking for a place to settle down. I plan to live there after teaching (Intro. to Env Sci) highschool (to give back) for a few years. My research revealed the problems with organic conversion of the cash crop (tea), from production to collection, processing and marketing. I'll spend the rest of my life trying to address those difficulties and achieve conversion, to secure the top of the Mt. Kenya watershed.

Eco-Activism in the mix. I like it!

Hm. I guess it depends on what you mean by adventure. Louis Lamour, who knew a thing or two about it, said "Adventure is some OTHER poor guy, halfway around the world, having one HELL of a hard time... while you read about it from the comfort of your living room." :mrgreen:

I've done wilderness hiking, primitive camping, survival training, rock climbing, rappelling, snow skiing, water skiing, boating/canoeing, hunting, fishing, archery/bowhunting, motorcycling/dirt bikes/motocross, knife/axe throwing, fought in the ring and out of the ring, trained in martial arts during the wild era of dojo-wars and unsanctioned knockout-fights of the late 70s and early 80s, studied renaissance longsword from a Canadian Arma/Haca practictioner, flown over the Bermuda Triangle, went whitewater rafting down the Snake River in the Grand Canyon the day after the high-water flags were lifted, photographed wild Buffalo and Moose in the Yellowstone from 10' away, spent most of two months driving across the country never staying 3 nights in the same state, rode horseback up a steep narrow trail in the Rocky Mountains, saddle-broke wild horses, fought a vicious pitt-bull to the death hand-to-hand, cut timber, raised a circus tent, visited Nashville and saw the sights, been a cop a bank courier and a bodyguard, raised a child, ran a business.... and went to Disneyworld. :)

If by "adventure" you mean something kind of out of the ordinary with an element of risk or "gosh wow sense of wonder".... well all of those had some adventure in them. :mrgreen:

That was you? :lamo

Man, you could always tell when wildlife was coming your way in Yellowstone. The traffic would come to a stop and EVERYBODY would be standing there with a camera. Somewhere I have a pic taken from my drivers seat with a bison looking in my window from 6" away. That place is a definite "must see".

That was you? :lamo

Man, you could always tell when wildlife was coming your way in Yellowstone. The traffic would come to a stop and EVERYBODY would be standing there with a camera. Somewhere I have a pic taken from my drivers seat with a bison looking in my window from 6" away. That place is a definite "must see".

Yeah, but my dumb ass got OUT of the truck to get the picture... :doh

I gave up a lucrative but unsatisfying job in public finance in an attempt to write novels for a living. Fifteen years and 35 published novels later, my great adventure ended when I was physically unable to stand the grueling pace of travel, speaking engagements, and everything else it takes to maintain a career as a novelist.

I thought about writing about our gold prospecting adventures, and the time a wildfire almost enveloped our RV as we dodged burning branches on a dirt road out of the forest... but I wasn't nearly as scared or excited then as I was when I sent off my first manuscript, so... ;)

A novelist..how wonderful...:thumbs:

Yeah, but my dumb ass got OUT of the truck to get the picture... :doh

The thought had occurred to me but those suckers are BIG and I'd have hated to accidentally run across the one that forgot he was an herbivore.

20 and 23. Youngest in college, oldest working for my company (insert proud dad smile here) and getting his Masters. I've been their Cub Master, Scoutmaster, PTO president, athletics coach, emergency medical technician, enforcer (when others made the mistake of messing with mine), guidance counselor, best friend, worst enemy (in their eyes when I wouldn't let them do something stupid), engineering instructor, cooking instructor, sex ed instructor (reluctantly and embarrassingly for both me and them, but I made them listen, and still do), and so on.

I cannot for the life of me get them to wash their damned clothes or iron them though. I'm fighting an uphill battle on that one since their mom is the main obstacle (great woman, perfect wife, and the worlds best mom).

20 and 23 wow. Isn't it great to see them become adults?! To be able to look back over all that work and see them having benefited from it ... it's like you can finally exhale, just a little. Wouldn't worry about the clothes thing too much, that will come in time. :lol:

Nothing as big as the OP's trip in duration but tons of adventures...

Tones of hiking and mountain biking (downhill), surfing kind of stuff. Did lots of rock climbing (no ropes).

Big wave bodysurfing at the Wedge in Newport Beach CA. Would get up to 25 feet. That is big for shorebreak. Did that for years...

Been up to the Yukon and lots of hikes and encounters with bears. That is always exciting. Was photographing a moose from 20 feet away and it decided to charge me while I was trying to focus the camera. Got behind a tree. Turns out they can't see ****.

Had a rattlesnake strike my leg but it didn't get me. Caught part of my body armor (downhill mountain biking).

Slept a night on the streets of San Francisco after we got in a bar fight and lost our hook-ups (hot babes we were gonna stay with), they told us to get lost. Slept on the steps of some bank until the night patrol guy told us to leave and some bums got upset at us as we tried to sleep in an ally with them. Ended up that we slept in some bushes down by pier 39.

Used to take surfing safari's up and down the CA coast for weeks at a time. Climbed some glaciers in Alaska.

Was involved fighting some pretty good fires as a fire fighter. Helped save quite a few lives directly or indirectly, including my daughter and mother.

Worked in an inner city high school as a teacher for a year... that was enough adventure for a lifetime. Gangs. Drug sales at classroom doors. Weapons. Fights. Throwing dice and gambling in class. Threatening staff. SWAT on campus twice. Two kids died. Three committed suicide. One in a coma. over ten sent to prison. Was attacked by a crazy mom who had to be held back by the principal. Good times. I had it pretty good being young and athletic. Played Basket ball with kids at lunch most days.

Dennis Rodman moved in down the boardwalk from us in Newport so we went to two parties at his house. Open door. Tommie Lee was there. Flea from the Chili Peppers. Surfed with him the next day.

I am a fast white boy... used to be the only white person at many track invitationals over the years, most of which I won. That was always an adventure.

Can't think of anything... WAIT, my ex wife has Borderline Personaility Disorder... that was and is my biggest adventure.

Tones of hiking and mountain biking (downhill), surfing kind of stuff. Did lots of rock climbing (no ropes).

Big wave bodysurfing at the Wedge in Newport Beach CA. Would get up to 25 feet. That is big for shorebreak. Did that for years...

Been up to the Yukon and lots of hikes and encounters with bears. That is always exciting. Was photographing a moose from 20 feet away and it decided to charge me while I was trying to focus the camera. Got behind a tree. Turns out they can't see ****.

Had a rattlesnake strike my leg but it didn't get me. Caught part of my body armor (downhill mountain biking).

Slept a night on the streets of San Francisco after we got in a bar fight and lost our hook-ups (hot babes we were gonna stay with), they told us to get lost. Slept on the steps of some bank until the night patrol guy told us to leave and some bums got upset at us as we tried to sleep in an ally with them. Ended up that we slept in some bushes down by pier 39.

Used to take surfing safari's up and down the CA coast for weeks at a time. Climbed some glaciers in Alaska.

Was involved fighting some pretty good fires as a fire fighter. Helped save quite a few lives directly or indirectly, including my daughter and mother.

Worked in an inner city high school as a teacher for a year... that was enough adventure for a lifetime. Gangs. Drug sales at classroom doors. Weapons. Fights. Throwing dice and gambling in class. Threatening staff. SWAT on campus twice. Two kids died. Three committed suicide. One in a coma. over ten sent to prison. Was attacked by a crazy mom who had to be held back by the principal. Good times. I had it pretty good being young and athletic. Played Basket ball with kids at lunch most days.

Dennis Rodman moved in down the boardwalk from us in Newport so we went to two parties at his house. Open door. Tommie Lee was there. Flea from the Chili Peppers. Surfed with him the next day.

I am a fast white boy... used to be the only white person at many track invitationals over the years, most of which I won. That was always an adventure.

Can't think of anything... WAIT, my ex wife has Borderline Personaility Disorder... that was and is my biggest adventure.

Doesn't everyone's ex have an undiagnosed personality disorder? I know mine did.

Great stories though. My son surfs, says he doesn't know if there is a G*d but if there was one that is where you would meet him. Ain't life grand.

Doesn't everyone's ex have an undiagnosed personality disorder? I know mine did.

Great stories though. My son surfs, says he doesn't know if there is a G*d but if there was one that's is where you would meet him. Ain't life grand.

I know a bunch that got divorced and they are both really normal and nice. I know a few that certainly have crazy ex's though.

P.S.: Are you still adventuring?

Also, the time at the school sounds really interesting. Are you still teaching? Had you come from a background that made the conditions at this school easy for you to manage or was that a challenging transition?

Last edited:
P.S.: Are you still adventuring?

Some... but not as much. Older and have kids now. I still hike, mountain bike and bodysurf, though not much over ten feet any longer. I don't hit the jumps that much anymore... too many broken bones from the past and don't want them now. Elbow, ribs, ankles, fingers, toes, disolcated shoulders, concussions, etc. My adventures now are helping my daughters have them. At 8 and 9 years old that means hiking the local forests, getting in the ocean, etc. We live in a tiny town in a remote part of New Zealand where it takes us 35 seconds to walk to the beach. Everything here is an adventure. :)

Thanks for asking... do you get in adventures still or did you?

Lets see...

Living through two tornado's and a 7.0 earthquake. The one in Frisco. I was in Santa Rosa at the time.

Sneaking in and out of a guarded LRM site at night and taking pictures while they were still experimental. No we did not keep the pictures due to the implications if we got caught.
Drag racing an M1 at Fort Knox against a Honda. Yes they were brand spanking new and had no governor yet. Of course I was driving the Honda, as I was only certified on an M60 A3.

Some downhill Mountain biking. Did not last too long though. I was in my 30's and it was really hard on my knees.
Lots of indoor and outdoor paintball. Was even the Captain of a couple of paintball teams. Back in the late 90's I was invited to join a sponsored team I was so good.

My first dive in thirty eight degree water in a 7mm wetsuit. Got a dry one after that, lol.
My first dive to 110' on a wreck. Also my first time entering a wreck for my certification.
My first and last dive to 140' which was way too deep. It was beyond the safety limit, but hell I can say I did it!
Becoming a Divemaster.

I mean I have been in too many really dangerous situations, but that was not really adventure to me. It was really bad so I don't talk about it too much. I did get hurt among other things. So that's all I have to say on that.

Some... but not as much. Older and have kids now. I still hike, mountain bike and bodysurf, though not much over ten feet any longer. I don't hit the jumps that much anymore... too many broken bones from the past and don't want them now. Elbow, ribs, ankles, fingers, toes, disolcated shoulders, concussions, etc. My adventures now are helping my daughters have them. At 8 and 9 years old that means hiking the local forests, getting in the ocean, etc. We live in a tiny town in a remote part of New Zealand where it takes us 35 seconds to walk to the beach. Everything here is an adventure. :)

Thanks for asking... do you get in adventures still or did you?

Great age for your kids, enjoy them and New Zealand is in the top three on my list of places to visit (I'm a little jealous)

I am in the same boat at you physically so I have scaled way back. My daughter left for college and my son moved out with friends so I packed up and moved to a new state to reunite with the man I dated when I was 17. We dated long distance for a couple of years and when my kids moved out we went for it. Different adventure I guess. So far so good.

Also, the time at the school sounds really interesting. Are you still teaching? Had you come from a background that made the conditions at this school easy for you to manage or was that a challenging transition?

Jumped out of a plane.

The list could be extensive, but the shareable ones:

Co-piloted (unofficially) a DC-3 stripped out for jumpers.
Sang as an emergency fill in for a local band at rather well known bar in South Jersey. I don't sing well, but it was a song I knew well and had practiced with them before. I sang the entire time looking at the floor, lol.
Lost in Newark New Jersey by myself, at night.
Climbed and then fell from the second tier of a high tension tower. Was carried home unconscious.
Unceremoniously threw up on a cops shoes. Yes, alcohol was involved. :wink:

I once voted for a tory councillor. My hand rotted and fell off.

Got up in front of 200 people to sing and play acoustic guitar for my first paid gig on New Year's eve about.....12 years ago? Something like that. Back then we were a trio and had a Blues Harp player....very good....but was undependable. He played with us for 7 years. Got tired of him "forgetting gigs" and getting too.messed up to.play. So now we are a Duo.

But that first gig....being the Primary singer playing out for the first time at 36 years old(well after the "no fear" stage of your life)? It was terrifying.

yep; i know that feeling. i have fronted a rock band for fifteen years, and just did my first solo acoustic show this past winter. had to have a couple drinks to pull it off.

as for adventurous, mine would probably be something onstage, also. a couple of them :

learned to blow fire for a show. then the venue decided at the last minute we couldn't do it.

once we were playing this sports bar for a crowd that just wanted to eat buffalo wings and didn't give much of a **** about us. i ran out into the crowd, grabbed someone's bottle of ketchup, sprayed it all over myself, and ran around the bar screaming and rolling on the floor in mock agony. they actually liked that one.

I rode a 15 speed bicycle up the coast of California to the Washington and Oregon border then across to NYC. We zigg-zagged up and and down most of the northern states and into Canada a bit. It took about 3 1/2 months and we camped the whole way. I carried about 50lbs on my bike. It was an amazing adventure. How about you?

edited for TMI. LOL

So list them all.

I would be sitting here an hour and nobody would really care so I think not. I have one eye and am missing part of a foot from my Nam "adventure" but I don't think that's what you're looking for. My entire life seems like one adventure after another but if you insist on one story here it is. I was 18 and there was a hurricane developing in the Pacific off Mexico so me and some buds decided to go to Baja to a place called 49K that was known to hold up in really big surf. We got there and the waves were huge and breaking nicely so we started paddling out and paddling and paddling. The swells must of been getting there the same time as us and the farther we paddled out the bigger the waves got and the farther out they broke. Finally there was a huge swell that looked like a mountain coming and we paddled for all we were worth but it soon became obvious this thing was going to break before we got over it. It sounded like thunder as the lip crashed into the blue water about a hundred feet in front of us so we hyperventilated a few breaths and dove for the bottom. Round and round I went like I was in a washing machine and it went on and on and on until I was sure I was going to drown. Finally I popped up and so did my two buds though we were widely scattered in foam we couldn't see over but we could shout and take a head count. It took us over an hour to get into shore as we got beat up by wave after wave as the sea tried to suck us out into oblivian. When we finally made it we found our boards had been crashing into the rocks over and over and were completely destroyed. We got in our VW van and went home tails between legs. THE END :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom