• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every persons position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What is the core of your beliefs?

Hoplite

Technomancer
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
I was asked an interesting question today; in one sentence, how would you describe the core idea that your political beliefs rest on?

It seems fairly easy on the surface but it really does make you have to sort of stop and think. Digging down and finding the first brick that makes up the building of your political beliefs isnt easy. I'm curious how people on here might answer the question.

After some considerable thought, I responded by saying I felt there was something fundamentally wrong with a world where one person can afford more of anything than he could ever even hope to use and someone else cant afford to feed themselves.

Andalublue

Hello again!
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
I'd sort of concur. I think a degree of inequality is inevitable but when the wealth of one comes at the expense of the poverty of many others, then I believe in collective action to rectify things.

PeteEU

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Equality and truthfulness.

Black, white, woman, man, muslim, jew, Chinese, Native American.. does not matter.. we are humans and deserve equal rights and access to the same things. Hence equality is key.

Truthfulness... one thing I cant stand is politicians and people twisting facts and figure to fit their often narrow-minded world view.

Yossarian

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Liberalism: The individual is the most important unit in society and therefore society ought to be organised in a way that maximises the desires, freedoms and capacities of individuals.

Last edited:

tacomancer

Christian Capitalist Social Democrat
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
peace and prosperity.

Ikari

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
Protection and proliferation of the rights and liberties of the individual.

MaggieD

Supporting Member
Monthly Subscriber
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
I was asked an interesting question today; in one sentence, how would you describe the core idea that your political beliefs rest on?

It seems fairly easy on the surface but it really does make you have to sort of stop and think. Digging down and finding the first brick that makes up the building of your political beliefs isnt easy. I'm curious how people on here might answer the question.

After some considerable thought, I responded by saying I felt there was something fundamentally wrong with a world where one person can afford more of anything than he could ever even hope to use and someone else cant afford to feed themselves.

Government!!!! GTF outa' my way!!!!

Level the playing field; enact reasonable legislation and systems to keep our society safe from it's greedy self and from others who would do us harm; take care of those less fortunate. That's pretty much it.

MKULTRABOY

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I try and be close to the buddha. It's really hard though.

Ockham

Noblesse oblige
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Common sense, an understanding of human nature and a belief in the Constitution and it's limitations on government is and should be the lens to which all government actions should be filtered.

Aunt Spiker

Cheese
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
"Reap what you sow."

I expect those who present a view - to try to adhere to their view, as well. Rather than judging others on a standard they can't or refuse to meet.

Cephus

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
Responsibility. One word. Simple.

Goobieman

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
And from -that- springs:
From each according to his means to each according to his needs.

Aunt Spiker

Cheese
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
And from -that- springs:
From each according to his means to each according to his needs.

But what's funny is that it's just a true sentiment.

In one way it could just be a statement: "Each person has the ablity to satisfy someone else's needs: such as a shopper buys groceries - thus the grocer stocks the goods on the shelf"

Or it could become a device when it's wielded like a fulcrum to get things relocated and redistributed: "These people have what you need - I will take what you need from them and give it to you to achieve balance or equality."

It's *how* it's implimented that makes a difference - not the sentiment itself.

Top Bottom