• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What if even opposite-sex couples had to settle with domestic partnership?

Relationships and sexual conduct are not the same thing.

“If people are looking to get gay 'marriage' enacted democratically, I think the most practical way would be to sidestep that opposition by trying to get the government out of the business of "marriage." From there, I think it would be a short walk to winning majority support for gay domestic partnership.” - RightinNYC

When it came to the issue of illegal sodomy and the Lawrence vs. Texas court decision, gay-folks never stood on firmer ground when they said that the government had no business when it came to regulating their relationships.

Now they want the government to do that very thing.

Not addressed to me, but that's my ideal scenario. The state grants domestic partnerships to couples and churches are free to grant marriages to whoever they want.

Same here. That's exactly the way it should be, and that way the churches will be happy, and the same-sex couples will be able to have civil unions, and be afforded all the rights of a marriage. Most of the gay people I know, that's all they really want anyway. Just to be able to have the same rights as hetero couples. Don't really know why so many people have such a hard time with that.

1.) bingo. they don't give a rat's ass that a govt sponsored "civil union" would give them all the rights and responsibilities of a marriage. they want the word and the social acceptance that comes with it.

2.)The govt can force homophobes to accept gay unions, but they can't force them to like it and that is what the gays really want. they want everyone to accept them and tell them that their lifestyle is OK.

1.)this statement is not true because civil unions are not equal to marriage so your statement fails before it even starts.

2.) this is your opinion and not what all gays want or even any gays that I know

1.)this statement is not true because civil unions are not equal to marriage so your statement fails before it even starts.

2.) this is your opinion and not what all gays want or even any gays that I know

holy ****in ****...two ****ing years and this is the best retort you can come up with. :lamo :lamo :lamo :failpail:

holy ****in ****...two ****ing years and this is the best retort you can come up with. :lamo :failpail:

dont know what you are talking about I never read or posted in this thread until now and your statement is in fact a failure and untrue :shrug:

2 years, 5 years, 10 years doesnt matter, you were wrong then and you are still wrong today. Facts are funny like that LMAO

so tell me that cool line about fail again :laughat:

I'm not interested in whether or not LGBT and their straight supporters would accept even heterosexual relationships being legally classified as "domestic partnerships." I'm asking if the heterosexual homophobes - who don't want gays to have equal marriage rights - would be willing to give up the name of their relationship if it would mean that gays and lesbians would be equal.

For the straights, this would be taking an approach of "I'd rather no one have it then for me to have to share."

Churches can call it whatever they want. Individuals can call it whatever they want. But, at a secular level, it is a domestic partnership, regardless of the reproductive systems of the people involved.

"My name is John Smith. My domestic partner is Mary Smith."
"My name is Jane Carson. My domestic partner is Robert Carson."
"My name is David Martinez. My domestic partner is Jose Martinez."
"My name is Emily Johnson. My domestic partner is Linda Johnson."

Homophobes, if you are not willing to give up the fact that your relationship is legally (as opposed to privately and religiously) called marriage, give detailed reasons why you won't be content with it.

Honestly, I couldn't care less whether they are called domestic partnerships, marriage, or any other name in the dictionary. It's a legally binding contract as used for practical purposes, and it's not really the contract that makes the relationship anyway.

Honestly, I couldn't care less whether they are called domestic partnerships, marriage, or any other name in the dictionary. It's a legally binding contract as used for practical purposes, and it's not really the contract that makes the relationship anyway.

this I actually agree with but I think its a separate issue.

But you are 100% right, as far as the relationship itself is concerned a piece of paper, a ring, a tattoo, necklaces, changing your last nae etc etc does not make of break the actual relationship.

Not saying you were implying otherwise cause you were not but the issue at hand is equal rights. currently civil unions and domestic partnerships are not legally equal to marriage and the rights/protections given by being legally married.

dont know what you are talking about I never read or posted in this thread until now and your statement is in fact a failure and untrue :shrug:

2 years, 5 years, 10 years doesnt matter, you were wrong then and you are still wrong today. Facts are funny like that LMAO

so tell me that cool line about fail again :laughat:

Maybe you should change your name to "obsessive j". And please forgive me if i don't take your declaration at face value.

Given that you replied to a two year old post and the best you've got is "you're wrong because i think you're wrong" is beyond pathetic. If you are going to revive a post that old, at least come with something of substance and not just a neener-neener line. That is where your failure lies.

Maybe you should change your name to "obsessive j". And please forgive me if i don't take your declaration at face value.

Given that you replied to a two year old post and the best you've got is "you're wrong because i think you're wrong" is beyond pathetic. If you are going to revive a post that old, at least come with something of substance and not just a neener-neener line. That is where your failure lies.

it has nothing to do with what I "think" you are factually wrong

LEGALLY marriage and domestic partnerships and civil unions are ot equal this is a fact sorry you are not top uneducated on this subject to know this but thats not my fault LMAO so theres no failure accept for you to understand the difference between facts and your false opinion :shrug: Please continue though because this is very entertaining.:lamo

you taking my declaration at face value or not is meaningless to the fact you posted false info :D

it has nothing to do with what I "think" you are factually wrong

LEGALLY marriage and domestic partnerships and civil unions are ot equal this is a fact sorry you are not top uneducated on this subject to know this but thats not my fault LMAO so theres no failure accept for you to understand the difference between facts and your false opinion :shrug: Please continue though because this is very entertaining.:lamo

you taking my declaration at face value or not is meaningless to the fact you posted false info :D

like I said... you reply to a two year old post and give nothing but your OPINION. you think I'm wrong...you've had TWO YEARS to find some evidence. a link, a quote, anything at all. but all you have come up with is your patently unqualified statement... "you are wrong because I say you are wrong"

but hey,,,,keep on failing. and, as usual...thanks for playing :thumbs:

like I said... you reply to a two year old post and give nothing but your OPINION. you think I'm wrong...you've had TWO YEARS to find some evidence. a link, a quote, anything at all. but all you have come up with is your patently unqualified statement... "you are wrong because I say you are wrong"

but hey,,,,keep on failing. and, as usual...thanks for playing :thumbs:

wow so your are just going to lie and make stuff up now? fince by me, but your dishonesty and uneducation about this subject changes nothing.

and what are you talking about I had 2 years? I just read it days ago? another lie LOL
evidence, quote, link to what? what unqualified statements are you talking about? LMAO

2 years ago your statement was false, 2 days ago its false and today its still false. Guess what? what do you think your statment will be tomorrow?

psssssst!

its still going to be false :laughat:

wow so your are just going to lie and make stuff up now? fince by me, but your dishonesty and uneducation about this subject changes nothing.

and what are you talking about I had 2 years? I just read it days ago? another lie LOL
evidence, quote, link to what? what unqualified statements are you talking about? LMAO

2 years ago your statement was false, 2 days ago its false and today its still false. Guess what? what do you think your statment will be tomorrow?

psssssst!

its still going to be false :laughat:

:2bigcry: you're wrong because I say you're wrong :2bigcry:

sorry, bucko, unless you show something PROVING I posted false information...all you've got is your worthless opinion.

:2bigcry: you're wrong because I say you're wrong :2bigcry:

sorry, bucko, unless you show something PROVING I posted false information...all you've got is your worthless opinion.

weird you didnt answer any questions?
which of your wrong statments are you refering to?

you falsely claiming domestic partnerships/civil unions are equal to marriage
or
ALL gays just want acceptance and dont care about equal rights?

LMAO
are these the lies you are asking about, you want proof they are lies?

weird you didnt answer any questions?
which of your wrong statments are you refering to?

you falsely claiming domestic partnerships/civil unions are equal to marriage
or
ALL gays just want acceptance and dont care about equal rights?

LMAO
are these the lies you are asking about, you want proof they are lies?

you keep bleating that I posted false information. either prove it or STFU and stop being a crybaby about it. "you posted false information because I said it is false information" doesn't prove anything.

but hey...If you want to keep squealing that your opinion is proof...knock yourself out...and, as always, thanks for playing :thumbs:

you keep bleating that I posted false information. either prove it or STFU and stop being a crybaby about it. "you posted false information because I said it is false information" doesn't prove anything.

but hey...If you want to keep squealing that your opinion is proof...knock yourself out...and, as always, thanks for playing :thumbs:

Good lord! You are still debating about this?

Here is your original statement.

bingo. they don't give a rat's ass that a govt sponsored "civil union" would give them all the rights and responsibilities of a marriage. they want the word and the social acceptance that comes with it.

Here are articles on the differences...

Difference Between Civil Union and Marriage - Civil Unions vs. Gay Marriage
Comparing marriage and civil unions - CNN
Marriage, Civil Unions and Domestic Partnerships: A Comparison | EqualityMaine

Your statement was FACTUALLY WRONG. Get over it already. Civil unions do not offer all the same rights and responsibilities of marriage. No lawyer is going to defend your position on that one because it is incredibly evident that they are not the same.

Now hopefully you can stop this senseless argument and actually find something meaningful to debate.

Yes I did say you posted lies and you have NOW you are trying to deflect and hide that fact of how uneducated you are by saying it hasnt been proven. But nobody intellegent buys this nonsense because all the smart and objective posters see right through it.

SO NOW im asking you WHICH lie of your would you like me to prove is a lie and you KEEP DODGING it and not answering it because you know you are digging your hole deeper and deeper.

SO again I ask which lie of yours would you like me to prove and I in fact will! :laughat:

tell me that cool line about "thanks for playing again"

your welcome and YOU LOSE! lol

youlose.jpg

Good lord! You are still debating about this?

Here is your original statement.

Here are articles on the differences...

Difference Between Civil Union and Marriage - Civil Unions vs. Gay Marriage
Comparing marriage and civil unions - CNN
Marriage, Civil Unions and Domestic Partnerships: A Comparison | EqualityMaine

Your statement was FACTUALLY WRONG. Get over it already. Civil unions do not offer all the same rights and responsibilities of marriage. No lawyer is going to defend your position on that one because it is incredibly evident that they are not the same.

Now hopefully you can stop this senseless argument and actually find something meaningful to debate.

oh look at that I dont even have to go do it now LOL

thanks

read the context of my comment at the time it was made. I never said "current" civil unions are equal. I said "a" civil union. my point was that even if civil union = marriage, many gays still would not be satisfied because they want the name and the societal acceptance it implies. basically they want to force the church to recognize their lifestyle.

but hey...keep on focusing on the wrong things. and, as always...thanks for playing :thumbs:

read the context of my comment at the time it was made. I never said "current" civil unions are equal. I said "a" civil union. my point was that even if civil union = marriage, many gays still would not be satisfied because they want the name and the societal acceptance it implies. basically they want to force the church to recognize their lifestyle.

but hey...keep on focusing on the wrong things. and, as always...thanks for playing :thumbs:

LMAO :laughat:

this is called a backpedal because you were proved wrong by multiple posters now

now where in your post did you imply that you were talking about the future LMAO nor did you say SOME gays, if you misspoke thats not all fault, now you are trying to FIX your wrong statement which is fine, just dont act like what you originally said is what you are TRYING to say now lmao

WOW! you just made yourself look more silly, please whipe the egg off your face because you were wrong and now you are trying to backpedal instead of manning up and simply admitting you misspoke.

heres your statement:

one poster was talking about "gays" blanketly

and you replied:

"bingo. they don't give a rat's ass that a govt sponsored "civil union" would give them all the rights and responsibilities of a marriage. they want the word and the social acceptance that comes with it."

sorry theres nothing there that says SOME gays, (which doesnt matter what SOME gays want) nor is there anything there that says FUTURE civil unions IF they equaled marriage.

LOL you implied it was all gays and civil unions already do equal marriage, you were wrong then and still are.

the only that has changed is the depth of the hole you are digging LMAO
if you would not like to be exposed in the future simply admit when you misspeak, speak more clearly or educated yourself to the actually topic at hand. You had two years to do so and have failed you still have no clue what you are talking about on this particular subject. :lamo

as last time, your welcome for playing and you lose! lol

You Lose! Good Day Sir! - YouTube

Even if a civil union gives all the same rights as marriage it is still unequal to marriage. Separate is not equal and what not. And no one is trying to force churches to accept homosexuality. If SSM were legalized churches would not be forced to marry homosexual couples.

Although you are partially right. The LGBT community does indeed want social acceptance. Who doesnt. But the LGBT community isnt trying to gain social acceptance through legislation.

this I actually agree with but I think its a separate issue.

But you are 100% right, as far as the relationship itself is concerned a piece of paper, a ring, a tattoo, necklaces, changing your last nae etc etc does not make of break the actual relationship.

Not saying you were implying otherwise cause you were not but the issue at hand is equal rights. currently civil unions and domestic partnerships are not legally equal to marriage and the rights/protections given by being legally married.

Well, to be married implies a legal contract to me. Based on the issues and opinions I've read regarding the gay marriage issue over the past few years, it appears that what gays generally want with marriage is legal rights to property, inheritance, and privilege to private information sharing on the partner. I don't recall them claiming that they want some type of religiously significant recognition.

I would prefer that no one has to beg at the altar of the State to be married.

Ranting. All I hear in this post is an individual who ascribes malicious motives to a group he doesn't like.

Yup. We want to force the church to accept and love us with open arms and give us a kiss on the cheek and tuck us in our beds at night. And don't forget the whole secret plan to lower the age of consent so that we can molest children and recruit them to homosexuality. I mean...come on dude, if you are going to ascribe malicious motives to my group then do it right and go for absolute evil. I don't want to be a part of a pansy class that is fine with simply imposing our views on people, I gotta get the whole going after the children schtick.

:mrgreen:

Well, to be married implies a legal contract to me. Based on the issues and opinions I've read regarding the gay marriage issue over the past few years, it appears that what gays generally want with marriage is legal rights to property, inheritance, and privilege to private information sharing on the partner. I don't recall them claiming that they want some type of religiously significant recognition.

I agree and the majority of them dont at least they dont want it legally made that way they only want equal rights

Back
Top Bottom