• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What if a Republican said this?

Wow...I'm so tired of the Conservative persecution complex! Everything that happens at all turns in to a snivel fest of "if this was us waaaah".

Yes, are no doubt you think that MSLSD and the NYT are unbiased!

YAY! you finally might have gotten one on Obama. I am so happy for you guys, after all these years it looks like he might have screwed up on geography. Of course, he always thought there was 57 states, but you guys won one. Well, have fun, after all you deserve it for all that waiting and all the effort you spent making up crap. I hope for your sake this doesn't end up being some insane misquote yet again, but it looks like this did actually happen so I would say it is pretty safe from republican boobery. Celebrate away, you are not always wrong, but when you are you drink budweiser. Which is probably why they sell the most beer.

Do you speak Austrian?

i think the controversy is over Obama calling the cities Charleston, Savannah, and Jacksonville "gulf ports" even though the cities of Charleston and Savannah are located nowhere near the gulf of Mexico.

Neither is Jax.

The difference is Republicans are stupid. You're confusing slips of the tongue with the kind of profound ignorance and intellectual laziness of Palin or Issa or Cruz.

And thus you've proved again how stupid Republicans are.

hahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaa.................

Holy cow ... the lefties sure gave up on their gaffe machine quick.
"It's no big deal" is always the final resort.
At least they can still buck themselves up by repeating the "phony scandal" meme.

And, after all, WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE???

Slips of the tongue are just slips of the tongue that anybody will make if they talk enough (though Bush's pattern of malapropism demonstrates a kind of intellectual laziness that goes beyond a mispronunciation or two -- there's even a book about it that's quite illuminating "The Bush Dyslexicon" by Mark Miller -- and of course his bragging that he didn't read newspapers only reinforced this knownothingism).

Minor mistakes of fact are OK too, unless of course like Bachmann you wear the superpatriot mantle and claim librals are untutored in American history, and then you confuse the Concords that involved the shot heard round the world.

Other mistakes are, however, significant and involve a depressing worldview of knownothingism that should be rejected. Todd Akin's "legitimate rape" comment wasn't just biologically false; it involved a bizarre worldview where women really want to get raped down deep.

All in all, Republicans fall squarely in this last category.

Sex scandals only count if the perp is a Republican, too!

He won't get called on it because his base doesn't know where Charleston and Savannah are either. These places are in the south, for liberals they might as well be on the moon.

Hey, it's all the Confederacy, right?

I think the point was those ports are not in/on the gulf. Not that someone mentioned deepening ports

It's even more to the point that THE A.P. ALTERED THE QUOTE TO COVER FOR HIM.

I don't believe a Republican would have said it - in my experience, Republicans tend to be more knowledgeable about their country and have more pride in their country.

Besides, Obama has a habit of his mouth getting out in front of his brain. That's not to say that if he thought about things before he spoke, he'd be any better, just that he seems to say an awful lot of stupid things off the cuff.

There is a reason for TOTUS!

She was mocked because it is stupid to think that merely seeing a part of Russia gives on "insight" into Russia

This was the same interview in which she responded to the question "Do you agree with the Bush Doctrine?" with "In what sense?"

I saw the interview, the comment about the proximity of Russia to Alaska was clearly tongue in cheek. That's not how it was portrayed, but whatever. I found Palin interesting but not VP material, and McCain was a terrible choice anyway. But yeah, the Bush Doctrine answer needed further explanation for sure. Fact is not everything is all or nothing black and white bumper sticker answers. So "in what sense" suggested nuance, which was not what the interviewer was looking for. Any time Palin got in front of a camera the press was looking for a gotcha moment. Pretty common in politics, but that campaign took it to new heights (or lows, depending on how you look at it).

Hey, it's all the Confederacy, right?

Well no, it's not. But that's what those not from the south and with closed minds think. Hell, there is a "diversity club" at our local high school for the gay kids. The region is not as backward as people think. It has taken some time to change some of the old laws but they are coming around. For instance, up until last year we were in a dry county with the exception of the town of Helen (kind of hard to have a Bavarian themes tourist village without alcohol sales). But now we have beer and wine sales at grocery stores and gas stations. Still no walking sales on Sunday, you can still order in bars and restaurants on Sundays, surrounding counties have walking sales on Sundays now. We have quite few gay kids in our church youth group, no problem there, and the young pastor is black. No problem there either. We also have open and concealed carry.

But to my way of thinking I don't mind the liberals having this impression of the south. I don't want to be over run with them because of the beauty of the area only to have them turn the place in to Massachusetts. If the stigma of the "old south" is enough to keep them away I'm down with it.

I saw the interview, the comment about the proximity of Russia to Alaska was clearly tongue in cheek. That's not how it was portrayed, but whatever. I found Palin interesting but not VP material, and McCain was a terrible choice anyway. But yeah, the Bush Doctrine answer needed further explanation for sure. Fact is not everything is all or nothing black and white bumper sticker answers. So "in what sense" suggested nuance, which was not what the interviewer was looking for. Any time Palin got in front of a camera the press was looking for a gotcha moment. Pretty common in politics, but that campaign took it to new heights (or lows, depending on how you look at it).

That was nonsense. She wasn't being tongue in cheek. It was the only answer she gave to the question

And no, the media didn't go to any new heights. They just did what they always did, and a politician needs to have the skills to deal with that. Palin obviously didn't and still doesn't. They did the same thing to McCain and Obama when they said something that could be mocked. The difference is, neither of them did so on such a regular basis.

That was nonsense. She wasn't being tongue in cheek. It was the only answer she gave to the question

And no, the media didn't go to any new heights. They just did what they always did, and a politician needs to have the skills to deal with that. Palin obviously didn't and still doesn't. They did the same thing to McCain and Obama when they said something that could be mocked. The difference is, neither of them did so on such a regular basis.

Well, I didn't vote for them anyway. If I had my choice the White house would be occupied by Mike Huckabee with Dave Ramsey as his VP. Could you imagine Dave Ramsey dealing with Congress on spending issues? Now THAT would be entertaining...

I don't believe a Republican would have said it - in my experience, Republicans tend to be more knowledgeable about their country and have more pride in their country.

The stupid ones don't visit Canada. :mrgreen:

That's a stretch. You could just say he sucks at geography and move on...better yet, his speech writers suck at geography and he trusts them too much.

It's just all so ridiculous. People make mistakes. Presidents are people. Presidents make mistakes It is much more likely that he wasn't clear than that he didn't know. I would make the same defense, and have, for a republican president.. That's really the point, which granted I did nothing to explain here.

ATLANTA Newt Gingrich, campaigning at the state Capitol today, said he would deepen Savannah’s port if he’s elected president.

Nobody made the jokes you claimed would most certainly occur.

Where are the 'endless' threads mocking Mr Gingrich? I wonder?

And those campaign commercials using Mr gingrich's position - also non-existent

That means YOU FAIL. Epically.

Got a source?

"we need to deepen “our ports all along the Gulf — in places like Charleston, South Carolina, or Savannah, Georgia, or Jacksonville, Florida.”

we would have endless threads saying how stupid republicans are. It would be on the evening news every night for a week. it would be the blunt of jokes by comedians and left wing opinion shows for months. It would be used by democrats in their campaign commercials. But because Obama said it it gets swept under the rug hoping no one noticed

Oh you poor victim!

... and this guy is the President.
Okay ... if it makes you happier ... Palin's gaffes were funny and Obama's series of gaffes before a national audience is inexcusable.

No, Palin's gaffes showed extreme ignorance of even the most basic policy questions.

What is sad that is lots of dumb people think she's intelligent.

I find it hilarious that people with private insurance are scared of Obama'care's public death panels when they live under a death panel that rations healthcare is the backroom never telling you what they're doing.

Healthcare is a finite resource. It will be rationed regardless of provider. Now, do you want a system that rations it in a way you can affect out in public where you can plan around it or you do you want a system that rations it in secret and then only tells you what's covered at the last second?

Yawn...

almost a hundred posts of Obama-haters crying over something stupid that Obama said...as if THAT never happened before, LOL!!...and Obama-apologists bending over backwards and spinning their minds into a tizzy trying to cover for him.

Me? I just can't believe I wasted 5 minutes reading all this crap.

No, Palin's gaffes showed extreme ignorance of even the most basic policy questions.

What is sad that is lots of dumb people think she's intelligent.

I find it hilarious that people with private insurance are scared of Obama'care's public death panels when they live under a death panel that rations healthcare is the backroom never telling you what they're doing.

Healthcare is a finite resource. It will be rationed regardless of provider. Now, do you want a system that rations it in a way you can affect out in public where you can plan around it or you do you want a system that rations it in secret and then only tells you what's covered at the last second?

And what do Obama's gaffes show you? Anything at all?

And yes ... I'd rather not have the Federal Government in charge of the death panels.

And on that topic ... Obamacare as gaffe ... was it a gaffe when Obama said he can't get single-payer right away? ... so he settled for Obamacare ... for the time being. Or was he lurching into the truth?
If you say single-payer was never the intent then you haven't heard Harry Reid say differently.
Maybe the mess that Obamacare is going to visit upon us was built into it's design so the Federal Government can ride to the rescue with a single-payer solution.
So sometimes gaffes are not mistakes.
But on Leno ... he screwed up an Ap covered for him, as you may have heard.

Back
Top Bottom