• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What does the term cracker mean to you?

What does the term cracker mean to you?

• A Florida native

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • A Georgia native

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pejorative term for a white person

Votes: 37 58.7%
  • Something else

Votes: 25 39.7%

• Total voters

SDET

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
I first heard the term when I lived in Florida. It seems to have other meanings.

I first heard the term when I lived in Florida. It seems to have other meanings.

I always thought it was synonomous with redneck/rascist.

It usually reminds me of Andy Griffith.

:)

This.

saltines.jpg

Hard, white and salty. :mrgreen:

Blacks call white people crackers because it was a white man who cracked the whip. Sad, but true.

Yep - the term loses all insult possibilities because that's what i picture.

I was never raised with the belief it was even a bad word or anything, so I really don't care about it. If someone ever called me a cracker I'd get that exact picture in my head and laugh my ass off.

Prior to living in Florida, I thought it was a derogatory term for white people. However, volunteering at a historical place in Florida I was informed, with pride, that a cracker was a native Floridian, especially those who herded cattle. They did not use barb wire to control the cattle and relied on the crack of the whip. I suppose the same word could be used for native Georgians in the cattle country.

Edit: Perhaps this should serve as a reminder that a word can honestly mean different things to different people and to support diversity and tolerance perhaps the first response is to assume that a word is not derogatory.

Last edited:
It's a racist slur for white people.

Is anyone actually insulted by it, though?

I don't know anyone who'd respond with anything but a laugh if they were called a cracker. White people aren't raised with the belief that it's a horrid offense - we learn that at some random 'oh my god that's the dumbest thing' point in life.

I used to eat those things as a kid. With nothing on them. Guess I loved the salt.

with butter was popular around here

This is what we call cracker:

828128.jpg

21899.jpg

ontbijtcrackers_big_6123.jpg

I don't know anyone who'd respond with anything but a laugh if they were called a cracker. White people aren't raised with the belief that it's a horrid offense - we learn that at some random 'oh my god that's the dumbest thing' point in life.

Even if it doesn't bother you guys, I don't use racial slurs.

Context example: **** you, you ****ing cracker!

Goes well with soup and chili.

Some of the sting is in the intent and/or who is using the term and who is the recipient....

Think "n-word" and who can or can't use the term.

Personally I was called "Okie" when living in Stockton.. That was the standard slur against Whites in that area.

lol

Thanks for the example - sort of funny how **** is censored but cracker isn't.

Nigger, bitch, fag, spic, Camel Jockey, chink, gringo, whitey, nip, oreo, Raghead, and a whole slew of other insults are not censored as well. Cracker is a racial slur even if some people are not offended by it. The intent by most black people who use the word cracker is very racial.

It means a cookie in England...or a salty treat (sorta LIKE a cookie) here in America. I lived in the Deep South for over 30 years, and I never heard any PERSON called a "cracker".

Something that is really good with peanut butter on it. Glass of milk on the side.
Which may still be a person depending on your tastes... ;)

Back
Top Bottom