• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What does the term cracker mean to you?

What does the term cracker mean to you?

• A Florida native

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • A Georgia native

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pejorative term for a white person

Votes: 37 58.7%
  • Something else

Votes: 25 39.7%

• Total voters
I think of Cracker the band and Cracker Jacks and of course the pejorative term.

Cracker-Low

The word 'Cracker' comes from the term of the sound a whip makes from "cracking" at herding cows. Jacksonville, Florida the town I'm from was originally called 'Cow Town', because of all the cattle they ran across the St. Johns River before it was dredged out. The Southern Herders were known as "Crackers", because of the sound the whips made. Then afterwards for the whipping of slaves.

Last edited:
9c0cfd55b6e0fd4855bf3441c03bbb55_rectangle_fullsize_zps56561b9d.jpg

I first heard the term when I lived in Florida. It seems to have other meanings.
Saltine.

Seriously.

I know what it's supposed to mean, and I know the history behind it, but it means nothing to me. It's the second-most silly pejorative there is. When I hear it I roll my eyes and think, "That's the best you can do?"

And before anyone asks, the silliest pejorative is "honky". I literally crack up laughing when I hear that one. It just sounds ridiculous.

Fair point, though I've only seen it be used in a racist fashion.

I think you are right- it usually is used as a racial, not classed based slur. Then again, there are people who view nearly all blacks, in one way or another, as being "ghetto". Thus that term can become racial as well.

I think you are right- it usually is used as a racial, not classed based slur. Then again, there are people who view nearly all blacks, in one way or another, as being "ghetto". Thus that term can become racial as well.
there are people that think all sorts of stupid crap... we need to keep the conversationin the general sense.

It's a racist slur for white people.

Correct. First time I heard it was when some Black guy called me that around 1968, during the riots......there was no mistaking it was a derogatory term...and I had a feeling that my uniform had no specific bearing on it.

there are people that think all sorts of stupid crap... we need to keep the conversationin the general sense.
The general sense is not clear.

For example, I have heard "ghetto" used in conversations on rare occassions. Usually it is meant only to apply to low class blacks. But I suspect that one person whom I have heard using the term believes that nearly every black person is somehow "ghetto". Thus, I suspect for him that it is a racial term for him.

My guess is that users of the term "ghetto" are evenly spread between rascists, semi rascists, and those just vocally don't like urban black street culture. I dont know why users of the term "cracker" would be different.

Why would anyone bother posting a poll about a word which has not been used since the 1930's?

Back
Top Bottom