• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Weird typing issues, spelling issues

Superfly

Salty, defiant, and completely non-compliant.
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I have always, always, always prided myself on my spelling, typing, etc. I never have really had much of an issue, until recently. Sometimes I think my brain is working faster than my fingers because I will be thinking of what I want to say, and it doesn't always make it to my posts. I'll completely leave out entire words. I even proofread and still miss it - maybe because I still "see" it in my brain?

Also I've noticed a decrease in my spelling ability. I have, as of late, noticed that I am leaving off letters. Never have done this before. Ever.

Your brain is working at a different pace than your fingers. I never misspell, etc. except when typing a post, and what's weird is that the misspellings are phonetic. Not a mistake I'd make using a pen or even word-processing work, so it has to have something to do with speed and the keyboard.

BTW, one of the most common typos in a manuscript is "you" for "your"--e.g. "Congratuations on you new position." I see this constantly, and my theory is that is has something to do with the QWERTY keyboard and speed. BTW, you see more errors in the last paragraph of a document than anywhere else, and that is explained, IMO, by the subconscious awareness that you're nearly finished writing and are hurrying.

You, my friend, need a (teleprompter?) service with a large staff to help you to fine tune your words. Explain that any mistakes/misstatements made are really the fault of others, or just invent a title which explains that even you are fallable, e.g. "sometimes wrong". When all else fails simply change the subject or edit the post to completely change its meaning. ;)

I have always, always, always prided myself on my spelling, typing, etc. I never have really had much of an issue, until recently. Sometimes I think my brain is working faster than my fingers because I will be thinking of what I want to say, and it doesn't always make it to my posts. I'll completely leave out entire words. I even proofread and still miss it - maybe because I still "see" it in my brain?

Also I've noticed a decrease in my spelling ability. I have, as of late, noticed that I am leaving off letters. Never have done this before. Ever.

There's a brain phenomenon at work . . .

only smart people.jpg

Superfly, you certainly aren't alone. The leaving out of words I'm convinced has to do with the mind working faster than the fingers. I'm constantly having to edit over such errors.
And like Nota Bene mentioned about spelling phonetically, heck I do that on purpose in hopes Spell-check will provide the proper spelling. Now that can get dangerous too because many words are close in spelling with very different meanings and then you end up with a real mess. I'm from the mid-west. We are known for our use of prepositions and prepositional phrases. We often end our sentences in prepositions. We can darn near write an entire paragraph in one sentence.

Billy went to the store that was located around the corner, down two blocks, past the firehouse, opposite the police station, inside the court, within ten feet, of the bench, under the maple tree.

Last edited:
It is the curse of DP!!!! This is the only place where I confuse their and there for some reason and I do it constantly. I think it might have something to do with me usually doing other things when I am here.

IMO, one of the causes for this could be having to read people's post off their 'smart' phones where they refuse to use proper punctuation and capitalization.

And no I'm not trying to be funny.

I've noticed the same thing for me. I'm constantly having to go back and edit my posts for missing words or spelling mistakes. I get really annoyed at myself too.

Don't mean to scare you but you have all the symptoms of Alzheimer's in this post and some other symptoms I have noticed in other threads that I won't go into here. If I were you I'd get some test, they have ways of slowing the progression of this horrific disease now.

Don't mean to scare you but you have all the symptoms of Alzheimer's in this post and some other symptoms I have noticed in other threads that I won't go into here. If I were you I'd get some test, they have ways of slowing the progression of this horrific disease now.

Oh, stop it. That's not even funny.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I got the impression that superfly was concerned, because this was a new and recent problefm for her.

I still do "teh" instead of "the" but lately the 2nd and 3rd letter is gone from the start of a sentence from standstill.
I started thinking it was a brain fart, then clumsy typing, then the keyboard, then this website and their correction software ... now I just don't know but it's still happening.

I still do "teh" instead of "the" but lately the 2nd and 3rd letter is gone from the start of a sentence from standstill.
I started thinking it was a brain fart, then clumsy typing, then the keyboard, then this website and their correction software ... now I just don't know but it's still happening.

You have all the symptoms of Alzheimer's Disease. *eye roll*

You have all the symptoms of Alzheimer's Disease. *eye roll*

He has one tiny symptom which means nothing, Super on the other hand has a long list of symptoms that coincide perfectly with an Alzheimer's diagnosis and she really should see a doctor immediately. This is no laughing matter young lady!

He has one tiny symptom which means nothing, Super on the other hand has a long list of symptoms that coincide perfectly with an Alzheimer's diagnosis and she really should see a doctor immediately. This is no laughing matter young lady!

Ten Early Signs of Alzheimer's Disease:

• Memory loss that disrupts daily life.One of the most common signs of Alzheimer's is memory loss, especially forgetting recently learned information. Others include forgetting important dates or events; asking for the same information over and over; increasingly needing to rely on memory aids (e.g., reminder notes or electronic devices) or family members for things they used to handle on their own.
  • Challenges in planning or solving daily problems. Some people may experience changes in their ability to develop and follow a plan or work with numbers. They may have trouble following a familiar recipe or keeping track of monthly bills. They may have difficulty concentrating and take much longer to do things than they did before.
  • Difficulty in performing simple tasks. People with Alzheimer's often find it hard to complete daily tasks. Sometimes, people may have trouble driving to a familiar location, managing a budget at work or remembering the rules of a favorite game.
  • Confusion with time or place. People with Alzheimer's can lose track of dates, seasons and the passage of time. They may have trouble understanding something if it is not happening immediately. Sometimes they may forget where they are or how they got there.
  • Trouble understanding visual images or spatial relationships. For some people, having vision problems is a sign of Alzheimer's. They may have difficulty reading, judging distance and determining color or contrast, which may cause problems with driving.
  • New problems with words in speaking or writing. People with Alzheimer's may have trouble following or joining a conversation. They may stop in the middle of a conversation and have no idea how to continue or they may repeat themselves. They may struggle with vocabulary, have problems finding the right word or call things by the wrong name (e.g., calling a "watch" a "hand-clock").
  • Misplacing things and losing the ability to retrace steps. A person with Alzheimer's disease may put things in unusual places. They may lose things and be unable to go back over their steps to find them again. Sometimes, they may accuse others of stealing. This may occur more frequently over time.
  • Decreased or poor judgment. People with Alzheimer's may experience changes in judgment or decision-making. For example, they may use poor judgment when dealing with money, giving large amounts to telemarketers. They may pay less attention to grooming or keeping themselves clean.
  • Withdrawal from work or social activities. A person with Alzheimer's may start to remove themselves from hobbies, social activities, work projects or sports. They may have trouble keeping up with a favorite sports team or remembering how to complete a favorite hobby. They may also avoid being social because of the changes they have experienced.
  • Changes in mood or personality. The mood and personalities of people with Alzheimer's can change. They can become confused, suspicious, depressed, fearful or anxious. They may be easily upset at home, at work, with friends or in places where they are out of their comfort zone.

I know you mean well; you've proven that. But really. "All the symptoms"??

Ten Early Signs of Alzheimer's Disease:

• Memory loss that disrupts daily life.One of the most common signs of Alzheimer's is memory loss, especially forgetting recently learned information. Others include forgetting important dates or events; asking for the same information over and over; increasingly needing to rely on memory aids (e.g., reminder notes or electronic devices) or family members for things they used to handle on their own.
  • Challenges in planning or solving daily problems. Some people may experience changes in their ability to develop and follow a plan or work with numbers. They may have trouble following a familiar recipe or keeping track of monthly bills. They may have difficulty concentrating and take much longer to do things than they did before.
  • Difficulty in performing simple tasks. People with Alzheimer's often find it hard to complete daily tasks. Sometimes, people may have trouble driving to a familiar location, managing a budget at work or remembering the rules of a favorite game.
  • Confusion with time or place. People with Alzheimer's can lose track of dates, seasons and the passage of time. They may have trouble understanding something if it is not happening immediately. Sometimes they may forget where they are or how they got there.
  • Trouble understanding visual images or spatial relationships. For some people, having vision problems is a sign of Alzheimer's. They may have difficulty reading, judging distance and determining color or contrast, which may cause problems with driving.
  • New problems with words in speaking or writing. People with Alzheimer's may have trouble following or joining a conversation. They may stop in the middle of a conversation and have no idea how to continue or they may repeat themselves. They may struggle with vocabulary, have problems finding the right word or call things by the wrong name (e.g., calling a "watch" a "hand-clock").
  • Misplacing things and losing the ability to retrace steps. A person with Alzheimer's disease may put things in unusual places. They may lose things and be unable to go back over their steps to find them again. Sometimes, they may accuse others of stealing. This may occur more frequently over time.
  • Decreased or poor judgment. People with Alzheimer's may experience changes in judgment or decision-making. For example, they may use poor judgment when dealing with money, giving large amounts to telemarketers. They may pay less attention to grooming or keeping themselves clean.
  • Withdrawal from work or social activities. A person with Alzheimer's may start to remove themselves from hobbies, social activities, work projects or sports. They may have trouble keeping up with a favorite sports team or remembering how to complete a favorite hobby. They may also avoid being social because of the changes they have experienced.
  • Changes in mood or personality. The mood and personalities of people with Alzheimer's can change. They can become confused, suspicious, depressed, fearful or anxious. They may be easily upset at home, at work, with friends or in places where they are out of their comfort zone.

I know you mean well; you've proven that. But really. "All the symptoms"??

I don't know her IRL but she has displayed many of these symptoms here, about as many as you can in this venue.

STFU, Sawyer.

Everybody else - thanks! Good to know that I'm not alone. For what it's worth, I never do it anywhere else - only when typing. If I'm writing a paper for school, if I'm posting here, if I'm posting on Facebook. The last time I was tested, I typed 90wpm so you'd think that I'd be able to keep up, but I guess not LOL.

STFU, Sawyer.

Everybody else - thanks! Good to know that I'm not alone. For what it's worth, I never do it anywhere else - only when typing. If I'm writing a paper for school, if I'm posting here, if I'm posting on Facebook. The last time I was tested, I typed 90wpm so you'd think that I'd be able to keep up, but I guess not LOL.

Angry outburst are a classic sign of Alzheimer's, go to the doctor, really.

How have you been sleeping and is there any particular stress you're going through? I have the exact same thing happen when I get tired and/or when I have too many damned things going on.

How have you been sleeping and is there any particular stress you're going through? I have the exact same thing happen when I get tired and/or when I have too many damned things going on.

I never sleep. Maybe a couple of hours a night, and a couple in the morning once the kids go to school. My sleep is so jacked up now that I'm lucky if I get 4 hours a day.

I never sleep. Maybe a couple of hours a night, and a couple in the morning once the kids go to school. My sleep is so jacked up now that I'm lucky if I get 4 hours a day.
I think that's typically considered a huge health issue. I would feel compelled to fix that to ensure I didn't suffer any long-term effects from it...typing issues being the least of those! I thought I was doing terrible with only 6 hours, and I eventually reduced stress enough so that I got tired again and could actually sleep 8 hours, and be tired when I woke up (which I hadn't felt in quite a while...scary!). For me it was entirely stress. I was just wound up and ready to go. Some of it too is Netflix, chain-watching series that have cliff-hangers is a modern digital age disease :p :p

Back
Top Bottom