• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Was interning the Japanese during WW2 the right response? [W:377]

Did FDR get it right?

• Yes

Votes: 8 8.4%
  • No

Votes: 84 88.4%
  • I don't know

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Re: Was interning the Japanese during WW2 the right response?

I'm not a fan of internment by any means.

But I'm not going to be so bold as to just say no. At best I'll say I don't know. It's morally wrong if there's no threat, but with the threat that really changes the circumstances. I'd still lean toward no, because many innocent people were interred, but probably some real threats were interred as well.

what kind of dumbass reason is that?
by that reasoning, you can justify interning anyone for anything you want without due process.
i thought the right wing slept without a copy of the constitution under their pillows ffs.

Last edited:

hard to say, it's easy to say 'no' when you're not living next door to a stranger whose nation you're at war with, citizen or not. the real crime there was not interning them, it was not restoring all of their property and finances after the internment ended. that was not right. you do what you have to do in war, but there's no need to punish after the threat has been neutralized.

I have seen some of your comments and it shows a great disdain for America.

The constitution is applied differently during times of war. Look at any war in the history of this country. We rounded up the enemy combatants during WW2. Several lives were saved because of Roosevelt and his implementation of the internment camps. It sent a message that the dissenters and traitors would be dealt with.

Oh, honesty is disdain? :lol:

Won't bother wasting another serious second on such blind stupidity...

At the time of the decision those were the right decisions and if reversed, would have caused great upheaval to this country.

Sure... just like all the upheaval that the German Americans caused by being let free... right? :lol:

Who would dare question the conclusion of someone who knows that "Dred Scoot" was "un-Constitution?" Drawing on your undoubted knowledge of constitutional law, you have shown us benighted souls that Korematsu "almost universally" is "held as a moral travesty." So if you expect the Court to overrule it, it must be a done deal. After all, that decision has only been around for seventy-one years.

Great lawyer skills... picking apart an entire argument based off of a typo! :lol:

I presented the information and the great mind that you are... ignored it. That is not my problem.

If you took opinion polls at the time, most people overwhelmingly would have voted in support of slavery, including the slaves themselves. Slaves were viewed as inferior beings and prevalent thought which was accepted as a fact, at the time.

Which is why we are a nation with Constitutional Rights that are not based off the "emotions" at the time... but nice try.

You have such a failed argument that I am no started to understand why many view you the way that they do...

Which is why we are a nation with Constitutional Rights that are not based off the "emotions" at the time... but nice try.

You have such a failed argument that I am no started to understand why many view you the way that they do...

I do not understand why you hate America so much. Such hatred can blur your perspective.

I do not understand why you hate America so much. Such hatred can blur your perspective.

I am willing to bet he loves America more than, say, you. Have you given up on trying to formulate a substantive argument and just going to try and get a reaction out of people now?

by that reasoning, you can justify interning anyone for anything you want without due process.
i thought the right wing slept without a copy of the constitution under their pillows ffs.

Leave him alone.

Anyone of intelligence understands to never take certain options off the table completely.

I hate talking about internment or bombing countries but we can never take these options off the table. The terrorists are getting smarter, quicker, faster, and more creative. We need to fight fire with fire.

I am willing to bet he loves America more than, say, you. Have you given up on trying to formulate a substantive argument and just going to try and get a reaction out of people now?

I live here, I didn't dessert my home.

So everyone that criticises the US on their past mistakes, they therefore hate the nation as a whole.

The word is desert, not dessert.

I live here too, and I am also aware that living in another country does not mean you hate your home country.

I live here too, and I am also aware that living in another country does not mean you hate your home country.

I do not believe the United States is built on racism and prejudice. The poster I quoted has made some extremely disrespectful and slanderous comments. The world is more peaceful and diverse because of America, not less safe.

Of course you didn't "dessert" your home. The United States isn't a ice cream sundae. [emoji12] [emoji39]

617aa2c10190c75831921ba0b3b390bc.jpg

Last edited:

Leave him alone.

Anyone of intelligence understands to never take certain options off the table completely.

I hate talking about internment or bombing countries but we can never take these options off the table. The terrorists are getting smarter, quicker, faster, and more creative. We need to fight fire with fire.

A civilized society should NEVER consider suspending habeus corpus. Habeus corpus is the keystone that holds up all Western Law.

I do not believe the United States is built on racism and prejudice. The poster I quoted has made some extremely disrespectful and slanderous comments. The world is more peaceful and diverse because of America, not less safe.

Racism and prejudice are a rather large part of our nation's history. That is not hating on America, that is simply the facts. America is not perfect, no country is. Denying our faults is not patriotism. I would in fact argue the opposite, that patriotism is loving your country despite its faults, and working to make it better.

Of course you didn't "dessert" your home. The United States isn't a ice cream sundae. [emoji12] [emoji39]

ff6d9dd48df79f9fb7f23268b25ca03f.jpg

Man I could live without the cinnamon sticks, but that looks really good right now.

My preference though:

Man I could live without the cinnamon sticks, but that looks really good right now.

My preference though:

If they're gonna have tiny little cars deliver their food for them, they should probably just have one that takes the orders, too. [emoji12]

Is this post worth answering in a serious manner... why no, it isn't. :lol:

I am willing to bet he loves America more than, say, you.

I bet so as well...

Have you given up on trying to formulate a substantive argument and just going to try and get a reaction out of people now?

Was he ever really trying? Not with me at least...

Neither did I... just living somewhere else for a while. I bet you have vacationed outside America. That is desserting as well.

So everyone that criticises the US on their past mistakes, they therefore hate the nation as a whole.

Pretty weak argument, huh?

It must. Also, anybody that does agree with him hates America.

Where did I say that the US was built on those qualities? I would venture to say that anybody that reached those conclusions is a liar or just not that bright.

617aa2c10190c75831921ba0b3b390bc.jpg

Why does that image give me some dirty thoughts? The USA must be built on sex... damn my kinky mind... sorry Bucky, I hate America and am a sex addict.

Again I'd still lean against it, but you have to realize that there's going to be distrust with a large foreign population. It was probably not the right move, and a more targeted selection would have been far more just, but it would be foolish to think that it had no effect on espionage.

I am referring to slavery. At the time, the decision was fully justified.

88% of those in this poll disagree with you. 88%. Yes, you should be embarrassed.

Not working out well for you is it?

Why does that image give me some dirty thoughts? The USA must be built on sex... damn my kinky mind... sorry Bucky, I hate America and am a sex addict.

Great, as long as you admit, that's fine.

I am unsure why all the fuse. Most liberals hate America. That's why they endorse policies that drastically change America and are counter to what this country stands for. Look at the left's position on guns. The left wants to kill the pursuit of happiness.

Admit it. Most liberals want this country to be more like France or Sweden. I'm not saying that in a disrespectful manner. You are analogous to the bleeding' heart girlfriend that wants to change her boyfriend into something he's not.

If you want America to be more like France or Sweden, than move to France or Sweden. You can't change America to something its not.

Great, as long as you admit, that's fine.

I am unsure why all the fuse. Most liberals hate America. That's why they endorse policies that drastically change America and are counter to what this country stands for. Look at the left's position on guns. The left wants to kill the pursuit of happiness.

Admit it. Most liberals want this country to be more like France or Sweden. I'm not saying that in a disrespectful manner. You are analogous to the bleeding' heart girlfriend that wants to change her boyfriend into something he's not.

If you want America to be more like France or Sweden, than move to France or Sweden. You can't change America to something its not.

Am I a liberal? :lol:

I mean, I disagree with you so I must be a vile liberal, right?

Am I a liberal? :lol:

I mean, I disagree with you so I must be a vile liberal, right?

Liberals often see things for that they should be, not what they actually are.

I think our respond and treatment towards Muslims is fine. Just look at Great Britain where they have all-Muslism prisons. Or look at other countries like Iraq where Christians are being killed left and right.

America is alright. America is probably the safest place to live if you are a Muslim: fact.

Liberals often see things for that they should be, not what they actually are.

I think our respond and treatment towards Muslims is fine. Just look at Great Britain where they have all-Muslism prisons. Or look at other countries like Iraq where Christians are being killed left and right.

America is alright. America is probably the safest place to live if you are a Muslim: fact.

Does all that mean that I am a Liberal?

Back
Top Bottom