• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:98]San Francisco police chief says making suspects sit on ground is 'demeaning'

Re: San Francisco police chief says making suspects sit on ground is 'demeaning'

Irregardless, it is a bad policy and makes the officers jobs more difficult and dangerous.

I suspect the police chief knows better than you on this subject

Re: San Francisco police chief says making suspects sit on ground is 'demeaning'

I suspect the police chief knows better than you on this subject

You would be wrong in that case. I come from a family of police officers.

Funny that this is your take and have absolutely nothing to say about what the thread is about. Why even post at all?

Here’s my take on the thread: I don’t care.

As one who lives in SF I shrug my shoulders when reading this. We have so many other issues this doesn't really register.

As one who lives in SF I shrug my shoulders when reading this. We have so many other issues this doesn't really register.

So how is that straw ban working out?

Well, where are they supposed to sit? Golden pillows?

Well, where are they supposed to sit? Golden pillows?

I suppose the police shouldn't be stopping them at all cuz that's like discriminating or something?

I suppose the police shouldn't be stopping them at all cuz that's like discriminating or something?

I'm all for responsible policing and tend to have a hyper-libertarian view of law enforcement as generally criminal agents of the state, but nowhere does it say anyone is entitled to standing over sitting and vice versa.

One of the richest cities in the country, and they can't clean their **** up. SMH

Yeah, it definitely is something.

Police officers in San Francisco may no longer demand that suspects – whether handcuffed or not – sit on the ground or sidewalk at a crime scene, the city’s police chief writes in a department memo.

The practice is viewed as “demeaning” to suspects, city police Chief William Scott has determined.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/making-suspects-sit-on-ground-is-demeaning-san-francisco-police-chief-says-report

DuMr7kcUcAADjjd.jpg

Making handcuffed suspects sit on the ground is for their own safety. Even wearing handcuffs, a person can still run, and if that happens police will have to use more force, like tackling him to the ground or possibly tasing him. If he's sitting on the ground it'll take him a moment to get up, and the police can restrain him right there. But this genius police chief thinks that respecting suspects is more important than protecting them, and protecting the public.

Its a dominance thing, not a safety thing.

Another shake your head moment

At least they are giving free needles to drug addicts. I am sure that those NEVER end up lying in the street

Whether it is or isn't demeaning isn't really a concern of mine. Let's say it is demeaning - I still don't care if they are demeaned.

I've been forced to do it on a motorcycle traffic stop while they ran the plates. At least the guy was polite and apologetic about the policy.

Its really just more bully-boy nonsense designed to intimidate.

I've been forced to do it on a motorcycle traffic stop while they ran the plates. At least the guy was polite and apologetic about the policy.

He didn't let you sit on his bike? That's mean! LOL

At least they are giving free needles to drug addicts. I am sure that those NEVER end up lying in the street

that was just a proposal, it didn't pass. But one doesn't have to look to hard in certain areas of the City to find used needles. What's most sad is when they show up on playgrounds. Kids shouldn't have to deal with that.

that was just a proposal, it didn't pass. But one doesn't have to look to hard in certain areas of the City to find used needles. What's most sad is when they show up on playgrounds. Kids shouldn't have to deal with that.

And yet straws have been deemed the real threat to public health.

Is spreading HIV among conservative goals or something.

And yet straws have been deemed the real threat to public health.

...no they haven't

Police officers in San Francisco may no longer demand that suspects – whether handcuffed or not – sit on the ground or sidewalk at a crime scene, the city’s police chief writes in a department memo.

The practice is viewed as “demeaning” to suspects, city police Chief William Scott has determined.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/making-suspects-sit-on-ground-is-demeaning-san-francisco-police-chief-says-report

DuMr7kcUcAADjjd.jpg

Making handcuffed suspects sit on the ground is for their own safety. Even wearing handcuffs, a person can still run, and if that happens police will have to use more force, like tackling him to the ground or possibly tasing him. If he's sitting on the ground it'll take him a moment to get up, and the police can restrain him right there. But this genius police chief thinks that respecting suspects is more important than protecting them, and protecting the public.

Sigh. Only in places like San Francisco. . .

Does anybody else feel sometimes that we are living inside a Looney Tunes cartoon?

...no they haven't

Yes, they have.

San Francisco supervisors voted unanimously to ban restaurants, bars and retailers from selling or using on Tuesday, becoming the largest city to block establishments from giving out plastic straws among a group that includes several smaller ones in California, and at least one other major city — Seattle — in the U.S.

The board cited environmental impacts as well as litter on streets and waterways as reasons for the ban.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/opinion/the-conversation/sd-cities-in-california-with-plastic-straw-bans-20180725-htmlstory.html

Sigh. Only in places like San Francisco. . .

Does anybody else feel sometimes that we are living inside a Looney Tunes cartoon?

Or a reality show gone really wrong.

Even if it is I don't see how it matters. I understand that people have certain rights - I don't support police officers using unnecessary or excessive force. Not at all. But that doesn't mean we need to coddle every person during an arrest or questioning or anything else.

Back
Top Bottom