• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:98]San Francisco police chief says making suspects sit on ground is 'demeaning'

Re: San Francisco police chief says making suspects sit on ground is 'demeaning'

Police officers in San Francisco may no longer demand that suspects – whether handcuffed or not – sit on the ground or sidewalk at a crime scene, the city’s police chief writes in a department memo.

The practice is viewed as “demeaning” to suspects, city police Chief William Scott has determined.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/making-suspects-sit-on-ground-is-demeaning-san-francisco-police-chief-says-report

DuMr7kcUcAADjjd.jpg

Making handcuffed suspects sit on the ground is for their own safety. Even wearing handcuffs, a person can still run, and if that happens police will have to use more force, like tackling him to the ground or possibly tasing him. If he's sitting on the ground it'll take him a moment to get up, and the police can restrain him right there. But this genius police chief thinks that respecting suspects is more important than protecting them, and protecting the public.

Its a dominance thing, not a safety thing.

So you're saying that someone running from cops with hands cuffed behind their back is safe? I suppose you think the cops will just run next to them and demand they stop. :rofl

Re: San Francisco police chief says making suspects sit on ground is 'demeaning'

So you're saying that someone running from cops with hands cuffed behind their back is safe? I suppose you think the cops will just run next to them and demand they stop. :rofl

I was referring to the casual use of the practice. And I'm not sure why y'all object to them just being put in a car if there is an issue in the first place.

I'll bet the cops in San Fran just do what they have to, to get by and go home. It's CYA all day, every day.

I was referring to the casual use of the practice. And I'm not sure why y'all object to them just being put in a car if there is an issue in the first place.

Oh but that was only for resisting suspects and when backup is available (per your cited letter.). Most of the time suspects are told to sit while the officer verifies information and possible warrants. Secondly many police cars have a shotgun in front and no partition between the front and rear. So the cop would have to handcuff the suspect for personal safety prior to placing them in the car. See things are not always black and white during police stops.

Back
Top Bottom