• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W: #105] [#181] Ten killed in shooting near LA after Lunar New Year event

Two of the victims...

photo

394259.jpg

Why are you letting Pelosi and Schumer control you?
Actually, Schumer and Pelosi are controlling YOU, if you are wanting to address magazine size. The fact is, gun people will NOT sit down to negotiate this matter as long as Schumer and Pelosi are at the table.

He're another enjoying the benefits of gun ownership! Shame about the people who had to die for his fun.

More evidence they’ve solved the gun problem in California by banning assault weapons, high-capacity magazines, and ghost guns, and by requiring background checks to purchase ammunition. Perversely, even if you’re a law-abiding citizen in California and pass a background check, you can’t buy ammunition unless you own a gun that’s been registered with the state. Even then you might not be able to if the state’s Bureau of Firearms doesn’t accept you into its database for whatever reason, say because the address in its database doesn’t match what’s on your driver’s license. You can’t just borrow Uncle Fred’s Colt Python, stop by Dick’s, and head to the range. Welcome to Utopia.

More evidence they’ve solved the gun problem in California by banning assault weapons, high-capacity magazines, and ghost guns, and by requiring background checks to purchase ammunition. Perversely, even if you’re a law-abiding citizen in California and pass a background check, you can’t buy ammunition unless you own a gun that’s been registered with the state. Even then you might not be able to if the state’s Bureau of Firearms doesn’t accept you into its database for whatever reason, say because the address in its database doesn’t match what’s on your driver’s license. You can’t just borrow Uncle Fred’s Colt Python, stop by Dick’s, and head to the range. Welcome to Utopia.

The argument goes that no regulations are perfect, but an incident like this shows the need for even heavier restriction.

But don't worry about that built-in slippery slope.

If we're waiting for a change in societal attitudes in order to have a better society, I am not at all optimistic. We moved to a small city away from all of the crime, drugs, protests, and homelessness we see in other cities on the West Coast. We love our police, our neighbors, and our city managers. People are nice and life is pleasant.
There's a good reason there was tremendous white flight out of Detroit.

Unfortunately, I tend to share your sentiments. I was born and raised in suburban Los Angeles, where I was witness to crime and violence, but have lived for decades in coastal Mississippi. One of our biggest news events last year was when “Carl the Rooster,” the local downtown mascot, was murdered.

Actually, Schumer and Pelosi are controlling YOU, if you are wanting to address magazine size. The fact is, gun people will NOT sit down to negotiate this matter as long as Schumer and Pelosi are at the table.

I don't care about magazine size.

I think we need to limit the manufacture of new firearms in the US.

Pelosi and Schumer aren't willing to go remotely far enough for me.

I think we need to limit the manufacture of new firearms in the US.

You mean like we limit the manufacture of fentanyl and meth? You need to slap yourself out of your stupor in your alternate universe and reenter reality. There are 400 million firearms in this country. Limiting the manufacture of new ones won’t keep guns out of the hands of criminals. The only way to do that is to put violent criminals in prison or execute them, something liberals are loath to do. They’d rather disarm law-abiding citizens so criminals have something to snack on.

How about when people shoot and kill other people instead of concentrating on stopping the gun, we concentrate on stopping the real problem - the people who kill and what drives them to do so. The gun is an object, it's not an object problem it's a people problem. JMO

How about when people shoot and kill other people instead of concentrating on stopping the gun, we concentrate on stopping the real problem - the people who kill and what drives them to do so. The gun is an object, it's not an object problem it's a people problem. JMO

No political benefit perceived in doing that.

No political benefit perceived in doing that.

Unless you were, in hindsight, the biggest friend criminals in San Francisco had:

Voters in San Francisco have chosen to recall embattled District Attorney Chesa Boudin following a recall effort centered on his handling of rising crime across the city.

Unfortunately, I tend to share your sentiments. I was born and raised in suburban Los Angeles, where I was witness to crime and violence, but have lived for decades in coastal Mississippi. One of our biggest news events last year was when “Carl the Rooster,” the local downtown mascot, was murdered.

Arlevah
I share your concern about non-human creatures suddenly disappearing from public view. We have wild turkeys roaming our streets and some of them have become familiar to the residents up and down our streets.
But I think mass shootings of real people take precedence over worrying about an abducted rooster. Maybe some poor family in Mississippi is thankful a rooster suddenly appeared in their kitchen.

You mean like we limit the manufacture of fentanyl and meth? You need to slap yourself out of your stupor in your alternate universe and reenter reality. There are 400 million firearms in this country. Limiting the manufacture of new ones won’t keep guns out of the hands of criminals. The only way to do that is to put violent criminals in prison or execute them, something liberals are loath to do. They’d rather disarm law-abiding citizens so criminals have something to snack on.

My cousin who dropped out of high school can make meth with stuff from Wal-mart.

It's pathetic to compare that to the manufacture of firearms.

My cousin who dropped out of high school can make meth with stuff from Wal-mart.

It's pathetic to compare that to the manufacture of firearms.

Lots of people can do lots of things. One must consider what motivates them to choose to do so.

Lots of people can do lots of things. One must consider what motivates them to choose to do so.

Every firearm that is used in a crime was manufactured legally, and sold legally at least once.

There is no such thing as an illegal gun, they were all sold legally at least once.

If politics were simple I wouldn't have to wade through countless posts trying to understand if someone is really serious, simply speculative, or even telling what is assumed to be the truth. How does one really know if you are right by urging someone to look at a Youtube video to get the truth?

Maybe if you had worded your original comment to me in a way more conducive to discussion, I'd have given you a different response.

When I came to read this thread I went four pages and outside of the OP there was nothing related to the actual shooting.

I tried. I really tried.

You can see from post 3 onwards and several times later by the poster who seemed hell bent on successfully derailing the thread and trying to block discussion that some people would rather block discussion (on a discussion board!) than go seek a topic they feel they can participate in.
For all the hero gun worshippers and all the pro gun posts I read - it wasn't an armed civilian who disarmed or stopped the shooter, it was an ordinary, scared out of his mind young man who thought he was going to die.

Have to say though, @Josie is trying to discuss and I am enjoying that. I don't have time to go into a full response to you Josie - I'm off to another fire station soon to delver more training but I'll be back sometime with responses.

Stay well SkyFox76, stay well Josie.

Shooting continues to be the leading cause of death among American children, higher than car accidents or medical causes. No other industrial nation has firearms in the top five, let alone first. This is not a place America wants to be first. You have a serious gun problem.

I tried. I really tried.

You can see from post 3 onwards and several times later by the poster who seemed hell bent on successfully derailing the thread and trying to block discussion that some people would rather block discussion (on a discussion board!) than go seek a topic they feel they can participate in.
For all the hero gun worshippers and all the pro gun posts I read - it wasn't an armed civilian who disarmed or stopped the shooter, it was an ordinary, scared out of his mind young man who thought he was going to die.

Have to say though, @Josie is trying to discuss and I am enjoying that. I don't have time to go into a full response to you Josie - I'm off to another fire station soon to delver more training but I'll be back sometime with responses.

Stay well SkyFox76, stay well Josie.
"I don't know what to say anymore about mass shootings in the USA."

YOU kinda set the tone for the thread, didnt you? Your intent wasnt about the tragedy of the incident

Not exactly knocking it out of the park in your 'concern' for the victims, here...are you?

STILL not a single comment on the victims...or the shooter.

Thats YOU still...talking about Gun violence in the US...right? NOT the victims OR the shooter?

So...YOUR thread...and 546 posts in you didnt address the victims even once. The shooter, even once. The circumstances of the shooting...even once. Literally NOTHING. Others did...you didnt...not once. But hey...you 'tried'.

Every firearm that is used in a crime was manufactured legally, and sold legally at least once.

There is no such thing as an illegal gun, they were all sold legally at least once.

There's a such thing as an illegally possessed gun, surely.

But this seems irrelevant to my comment.

Arlevah
I share your concern about non-human creatures suddenly disappearing from public view. We have wild turkeys roaming our streets and some of them have become familiar to the residents up and down our streets.
But I think mass shootings of real people take precedence over worrying about an abducted rooster.

Oh, no doubt, and I didn’t mean to imply they didn’t. My point was, while we’re, of course concerned about the decay in the larger American society, one benefit of not living in a crime-ridden city is we have time to worry and reflect about the small stuff and just have fun living.

Maybe some poor family in Mississippi is thankful a rooster suddenly appeared in their kitchen.

Actually, they held a New Orleans-style second line funeral and celebration of life event for him. It turned into a big, downtown parade and block party. He even made news in Britain and around the world, probably because we did give a shit about a dead rooster even though we still love our Popeye’s Louisiana Fried Chicken.

Back
Top Bottom