• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every persons position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

United States Soverignty For Sale

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 27, 2005
Messages
43,603
Reaction score
26,254
Location
Houston, TX
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
The White House is defending the sale of 6 American ports to the Middle East nation of Dubai by saying that ownership of the ports by an Arab nation is not a threat to US security. How about a threat to US soverignty? The security issue is a red herring compared to the real issue. I have been saying for years that the Bush administration is the antithesis of Conservatism. For those who would argue otherwise, since when do Conservatives favor selling American soverignty to other nations?

This is going to end up in court. Not only are lawmakers seeing red over this sellout, but an American company is now suing to block the foreign takeover of our ports.
 

Kandahar

Enemy Combatant
DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 20, 2005
Messages
20,688
Reaction score
7,320
Location
Washington, DC
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Liberal
How is this selling our sovereignty? The American government still can make laws regarding the operation of ports...how would a Dubai company operating our ports threaten American sovereignty more than a New York company would?
 

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 27, 2005
Messages
43,603
Reaction score
26,254
Location
Houston, TX
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
Kandahar said:
How is this selling our sovereignty? The American government still can make laws regarding the operation of ports...how would a Dubai company operating our ports threaten American sovereignty more than a New York company would?
The ports, which are on American soil, will be owned by a foreign nation.
 

cnredd

Major General Big Lug
DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 5, 2005
Messages
8,682
Reaction score
262
Location
Philadelphia,PA
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
danarhea said:
The ports, which are on American soil, will be owned by a foreign nation.
ummmm...

They already ARE...:roll:

an article obviously unread by the person who started this thread said:
The unusual defense of the secretive committee, which reviews hundreds of such deals each year, came in response to criticism about the purchase of London-based Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Co.

The world's fourth-largest ports company runs commercial operations at shipping terminals in New York, New Jersey, Baltimore, New Orleans, Miami and Philadelphia.
It's a British Company that controls the posts NOW that is being merged into Dubai World...They were already foreign owned...

Do you just google "stuff that means nothing" and click "go"?...:roll:
 

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 27, 2005
Messages
43,603
Reaction score
26,254
Location
Houston, TX
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
cnredd said:
ummmm...

They already ARE...:roll:

It's a British Company that controls the posts NOW that is being merged into Dubai World...They were already foreign owned...

Do you just google "stuff that means nothing" and click "go"?...:roll:
Who didnt read the article?

The Bush administration on Thursday rebuffed criticism about potential security risks of a $6.8 billion sale that gives a company in the United Arab Emirates control over significant operations at six major American ports.

Lawmakers asked the White House to reconsider its earlier approval of the deal.

The sale to state-owned Dubai Ports World was "rigorously reviewed" by a U.S. committee that considers security threats when foreign companies seek to buy or invest in American industry, National Security Council spokesman Frederick Jones said.
Let me see. You are telling us that a state-owned company in Dubai is owned by the British?
 

cnredd

Major General Big Lug
DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 5, 2005
Messages
8,682
Reaction score
262
Location
Philadelphia,PA
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
danarhea said:
Who didnt read the article?
You're posting under the influence, aren't ya?...:doh

The Bush administration on Thursday rebuffed criticism about potential security risks of a $6.8 billion sale that gives a company in the United Arab Emirates control over significant operations at six major American ports.
OK...Let's stop here since some need to be held by the hand...They are six American ports, but at this very moment in time, they are NOT American CONTROLLED ports...

The British own them right now...not the US...As per your own article...

The unusual defense of the secretive committee, which reviews hundreds of such deals each year, came in response to criticism about the purchase of London-based Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Co.
Now this is the second time I've had to mention this, because you DIDN'T KNOW that these ports are ALREADY foreign owned...

"London-based"...This should set off a bell that the ports aren't American to begin with...

Lawmakers asked the White House to reconsider its earlier approval of the deal.

The sale to state-owned Dubai Ports World was "rigorously reviewed" by a U.S. committee that considers security threats when foreign companies seek to buy or invest in American industry, National Security Council spokesman Frederick Jones said.
I see the words "rigorously reviewed"...If something gets rigorously reviewed, and then gets cleared, then what the heck's the problem????

danarhea said:
Let me see. You are telling us that a state-owned company in Dubai is owned by the British?
Oh...my....God....

Forum rules prevent me from saying my true feelings, but the phrase "as a stump" comes to mind...

THE OPPOSITE!!!!!!!...Dubai World is BUYING Britain's P & O Co.!!!!!...The same people that own our ports NOW!!!!...Not the other way around!

I've already stated this in a thread dealing with this...you should've seen it to...IF you had the time...:roll:

This is from a thread entitled "White House selling six major American ports to Arabs? Bush says yes to deal!"...

Yes, the forum DOES have other people creating topics...you just don't look...

cnredd said:
13 Febuary 2006

DP World to acquire P&O
We are delighted to announce that the shareholders of P&O have approved the sale of shares to DP World. At an EGM held in London this afternoon, the shareholders voted over 99% in favour of the DP World acquisition. This means that the process of transferring ownership can now begin, and we expect for this to be confirmed by the court on 2nd March 2006.
Keep in mind that Dubai World isn't just taking over ports...

They are taking over a company that happened to control those ports...

This is nothing more than a result from the takeover...

If HomeDepot buys Ace Hardware, they get their stores...But if Ace Hardware also owned a hammer making factory, Home Depot ends up getting that too...

BFD...:shrug:

Personally?...I think there should've been something in Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Co.'s contract that states that the ownership of these ports automatically goes back to the Government if that company loses control of them...
See the part that says "DP World to acquire P&O"?...That's not a typo...

Instead of posting an article and making false claims, start posting articles and saying, "Will someone please explain it to me?"...:cool:
 

Kandahar

Enemy Combatant
DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 20, 2005
Messages
20,688
Reaction score
7,320
Location
Washington, DC
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Liberal
danarhea said:
The ports, which are on American soil, will be owned by a foreign nation.
And just as the US government doesn't allow American companies to do whatever the hell they want, they won't allow a Dubai company to do whatever it wants. Security regulations will still be in place, and I doubt that Dubai wants to be responsible for a terrorist attack on America. It's bad for business.
 

teacher

Banned
DP Veteran
Joined
May 20, 2005
Messages
5,980
Reaction score
30
Location
Nomad.Got a couch,beer,meat,cute daughters,Batman
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
danarhea said:
The White House is defending the sale of 6 American ports to the Middle East nation of Dubai by saying that ownership of the ports by an Arab nation is not a threat to US security. How about a threat to US soverignty? The security issue is a red herring compared to the real issue. I have been saying for years that the Bush administration is the antithesis of Conservatism. For those who would argue otherwise, since when do Conservatives favor selling American soverignty to other nations?

This is going to end up in court. Not only are lawmakers seeing red over this sellout, but an American company is now suing to block the foreign takeover of our ports.
And I make 9 posts. You are allready over your average of responces to yet another bullshit thread.

So now you don't want us to sell a port. Are you against this in the guise of national security?

Are you saying we should not spread democracy in the ME because it is not your particular brand of "national sovereignty", yet for us to sell a port goes against your sudden surge of nationalistic patriotism?

You make no consistant sense dude. Your agenda is well known. You ain't fooling Jack Shi*t.

If I where you, I'd start another thread.

I beat you like a wet dog the first go around. Sure, you just put it off because it was "teacher". That insane basement guy that comes upstairs now and again. You had no reply. I'm used to that. The fact of the matter is you are antagonistic. You start bullshit and don't reply. Now while your maw is agape and you are thinking, "I start bullshit"? please to think when I start bullshit I follow through. You post then run. Like a seven year old girl.

Now go start another bullshit thread. We are all used to it. And they don't get much play. Or haven't you noticed that? You might want to check out how little your bullshit is replied to. And don't even go there, I get replies.

Now let's see how long it takes aps to come to your defense.

Robodoon won't play, how about you?
 

Cassapolis

Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2006
Messages
85
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
Pacridge said:
Which ports are these and where exactly are they?

Even for Team Bush this sounds strange.
the ports are in Miami, New York, New Jersey, Boston, New Orleans and sorry i forgot the last 1 but they are all very nice targets for terrorists
 

jamesrage

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 31, 2005
Messages
34,534
Reaction score
16,306
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
I do not think any foriegn company should be allowed to own or operate a US port.Letting a foriegn company operate or own a US port would be like letting Mexico take care of our border sercurity.Would you let Mexico take care of our border security?
 

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 27, 2005
Messages
43,603
Reaction score
26,254
Location
Houston, TX
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
cnredd said:
You're posting under the influence, aren't ya?...:doh

OK...Let's stop here since some need to be held by the hand...They are six American ports, but at this very moment in time, they are NOT American CONTROLLED ports...

The British own them right now...not the US...As per your own article...

Now this is the second time I've had to mention this, because you DIDN'T KNOW that these ports are ALREADY foreign owned...

"London-based"...This should set off a bell that the ports aren't American to begin with...

I see the words "rigorously reviewed"...If something gets rigorously reviewed, and then gets cleared, then what the heck's the problem????

Oh...my....God....

Forum rules prevent me from saying my true feelings, but the phrase "as a stump" comes to mind...

THE OPPOSITE!!!!!!!...Dubai World is BUYING Britain's P & O Co.!!!!!...The same people that own our ports NOW!!!!...Not the other way around!

I've already stated this in a thread dealing with this...you should've seen it to...IF you had the time...:roll:

This is from a thread entitled "White House selling six major American ports to Arabs? Bush says yes to deal!"...

Yes, the forum DOES have other people creating topics...you just don't look...



See the part that says "DP World to acquire P&O"?...That's not a typo...

Instead of posting an article and making false claims, start posting articles and saying, "Will someone please explain it to me?"...:cool:
In your desire to trash me with insults, you missed my point completely. P&O was not a STATE OWNED company. P&O was sold to Dubai, becoming a STATE OWNED company. P&O, now a STATE OWNED company will own the ports. Dubai, the foreign nation which now owns P&O, will own our ports.
 
Last edited:

Captain America

Jedi Master
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Joined
Feb 12, 2006
Messages
22,520
Reaction score
12,790
Location
Wisconsin
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Centrist
I know plenty of diehard republicans plenty pissed off over this move too. This transcends politics. This is beyond democrat/republican banter. This is yet another middle finger flipped in the face of Americans from the current administration. Only this time, he's flipped in the face of the people who have been supporting him as well. Bad move.

Certainly there will be a few Bush cultists that support this move. or any other move he makes, but for the most part I have yet to talk to one person on either side of the aisle that is happy about this move.
 

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 27, 2005
Messages
43,603
Reaction score
26,254
Location
Houston, TX
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
jamesrage said:
I do not think any foriegn company should be allowed to own or operate a US port.Letting a foriegn company operate or own a US port would be like letting Mexico take care of our border sercurity.Would you let Mexico take care of our border security?
There ya' go. I knew someone would get the point. And its not about a foreign company owning and operating our ports. It is about a foreign NATION owning and operating our ports. That is what makes this situation undesirable. As I said in the title of this thread, American soverignty is for sale.
 

Pacridge

DP Veteran
Joined
Nov 14, 2004
Messages
3,918
Reaction score
9
Location
Pacific Northwest US
danarhea said:
There ya' go. I knew someone would get the point. And its not about a foreign company owning and operating our ports. It is about a foreign NATION owning and operating our ports. That is what makes this situation undesirable. As I said in the title of this thread, American soverignty is for sale.
Will this company/country be responsible for the security of these ports? Or merely the day to day operations of loading and off loading cargo?
 

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 27, 2005
Messages
43,603
Reaction score
26,254
Location
Houston, TX
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
Pacridge said:
Will this company/country be responsible for the security of these ports? Or merely the day to day operations of loading and off loading cargo?
Both, although DHS has ultimate responsibility for the security. Problem is, port security through DHS is being grossly underfunded.
 

Pacridge

DP Veteran
Joined
Nov 14, 2004
Messages
3,918
Reaction score
9
Location
Pacific Northwest US
danarhea said:
Both, although DHS has ultimate responsibility for the security. Problem is, port security through DHS is being grossly underfunded.
So part of our port security is going to be turned over to an Arab nation? That just can not be right. Sounds like a joke on Lettermen.
 

Kandahar

Enemy Combatant
DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 20, 2005
Messages
20,688
Reaction score
7,320
Location
Washington, DC
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Liberal
jamesrage said:
I do not think any foriegn company should be allowed to own or operate a US port.Letting a foriegn company operate or own a US port would be like letting Mexico take care of our border sercurity.Would you let Mexico take care of our border security?
It's not the same thing. The Mexican government would benefit from lax border policies much more than the extra income from doing a good job with border security. In contrast, a Dubai company has little to nothing to gain by allowing a terrorist attack under their watch, but plenty to lose in the form of lost contracts.

Dubai is more capitalist than any other Arab country; the invisible hand of the free market will keep our ports as safe as possible.
 

jamesrage

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 31, 2005
Messages
34,534
Reaction score
16,306
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
Kandahar said:
It's not the same thing. The Mexican government would benefit from lax border policies much more than the extra income from doing a good job with border security. In contrast, a Dubai company has little to nothing to gain by allowing a terrorist attack under their watch, but plenty to lose in the form of lost contracts.

Dubai is more capitalist than any other Arab country; the invisible hand of the free market will keep our ports as safe as possible.

A foriegn entity would still benifit if they allowed their spies,terrorist who knows what else to sneak through.Ports should be treated like borders,borders should not be run by foriegn entities and niether should ports.
 

Kandahar

Enemy Combatant
DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 20, 2005
Messages
20,688
Reaction score
7,320
Location
Washington, DC
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Liberal
jamesrage said:
A foriegn entity would still benifit if they allowed their spies,terrorist who knows what else to sneak through.
And if they get caught, then they lose their contracts. Pretty strong incentive to play by the rules, I'd say.

jamesrage said:
Ports should be treated like borders,borders should not be run by foriegn entities and niether should ports.
You'll have to forgive me if I'm not swayed by your simple assertion when you offer no reason for such a belief.
 

jamesrage

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 31, 2005
Messages
34,534
Reaction score
16,306
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
Kandahar said:
And if they get caught, then they lose their contracts. Pretty strong incentive to play by the rules, I'd say.
By the time anyone finds out it could be too late.They could have let in hundreds of terrorist in and smugglesd who knows what into our country by the time IF they got caught.


You'll have to forgive me if I'm not swayed by your simple assertion when you offer no reason for such a belief
Ports are entry points into this country for massive cargo ships.I do not see massive cargo ships ships going to beach front homes,tourist beaches,beach front condos and other similar places.It is insanity letting a foriegn entity control our ports.
 

Calm2Chaos

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 20, 2005
Messages
3,967
Reaction score
7
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Being in a city were thiis is supposed to happen.. I HATE this idea. The security issues alone seems to just scream at you. How about we just sell them to Hammas or Al Queada and get it over with. WTF are we going to allow a pipeline from a terrorist manufacturing country straight to our ports. Sorry if I don't get this. But it seems uber stupid to me!!!!
 

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 27, 2005
Messages
43,603
Reaction score
26,254
Location
Houston, TX
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
Calm2Chaos said:
Being in a city were thiis is supposed to happen.. I HATE this idea. The security issues alone seems to just scream at you. How about we just sell them to Hammas or Al Queada and get it over with. WTF are we going to allow a pipeline from a terrorist manufacturing country straight to our ports. Sorry if I don't get this. But it seems uber stupid to me!!!!
At the moment, it would not be like turning them over to al Qaeda, as Dubai is fairly stable. However, 3 points need to be made.

1) At one time, Iran was considered stable. Now they want to kill us. Turning over our ports to a nation which not only exists in one of the hotspots of the world, but has the possibility of becoming unstable, is insane.

2) It doesnt really matter which nation it is. If that nation owns our ports, even if it is an ally, then our soverignty really IS at risk. For instance, what if our ally, Canada, owned the ports, and a huge trade war broke out between us? At that time, we have 2 choices, either allow Canada to leverage ports on our own soil against us, or take the ports away. If we choose the second option, then we will make enemies not only against those who own our ports, but among our Capitalist allies too. On the other hand, if we allow the ports to remain in the hands of a foreign nation, the our own resources, whether by friend or foe, can be leveraged against us. This example was just a for instance.

3) Our forefathers spoke strongly about how we must not allow our nation to come under foreign influences. This still is a very strong Conservative principle. Kind of ironic that many of those those who call themselves Conservative, and who are rightly against the UN usurping our soverignty, would allow ANY foreign nation to own our ports.
 

Calm2Chaos

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 20, 2005
Messages
3,967
Reaction score
7
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
danarhea said:
At the moment, it would not be like turning them over to al Qaeda, as Dubai is fairly stable. However, 3 points need to be made.

1) At one time, Iran was considered stable. Now they want to kill us. Turning over our ports to a nation which not only exists in one of the hotspots of the world, but has the possibility of becoming unstable, is insane.

2) It doesnt really matter which nation it is. If that nation owns our ports, even if it is an ally, then our soverignty really IS at risk. For instance, what if our ally, Canada, owned the ports, and a huge trade war broke out between us? At that time, we have 2 choices, either allow Canada to leverage ports on our own soil against us, or take the ports away. If we choose the second option, then we will make enemies not only against those who own our ports, but among our Capitalist allies too. On the other hand, if we allow the ports to remain in the hands of a foreign nation, the our own resources, whether by friend or foe, can be leveraged against us. This example was just a for instance.

3) Our forefathers spoke strongly about how we must not allow our nation to come under foreign influences. This still is a very strong Conservative principle. Kind of ironic that many of those those who call themselves Conservative, and who are rightly against the UN usurping our soverignty, would allow ANY foreign nation to own our ports.

This is a stupid azz idea on pretyt much every level. Stable or not this area churns out terrorist like marshmallows. Lets just give them the c4 and planes they need and get it over with it
 
Top Bottom