• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

United States Soverignty For Sale

Calm2Chaos said:
This is a stupid azz idea on pretyt much every level. Stable or not this area churns out terrorist like marshmallows. Lets just give them the c4 and planes they need and get it over with it

are you paranoid?

danarhea said:
The White House is defending the sale of 6 American ports to the Middle East nation of Dubai by saying that ownership of the ports by an Arab nation is not a threat to US security. How about a threat to US soverignty? The security issue is a red herring compared to the real issue. I have been saying for years that the Bush administration is the antithesis of Conservatism. For those who would argue otherwise, since when do Conservatives favor selling American soverignty to other nations?

This is going to end up in court. Not only are lawmakers seeing red over this sellout, but an American company is now suing to block the foreign takeover of our ports.

Bill Clintong Sells us out the The Chineese, Bush Sells us out to the Arabs.

Looks like both the Republicans and the Democrat leadership doesn't work for "WE THE PEOPLE" AND THEY DON't they are GLOBALISTS, Not Americans.

UAE Port Operations

The UAE port contravosy is really starting to take off:

http://www.forbes.com/work/feeds/ap/2006/02/20/ap2539606.html

Politically, this is one of the worst moves I think they have made yet, regardless of the actual security implications. Was Karl Rove asleep at the wheel?

Just as Katrina showed the world that the US homeland security was incompetent, now they are showing the world that they are more concerned with encouraging unrestricted trade then they are with actually protecting the US homeland.

Chertoff is really going to get it this time, without Brownie to shield him.

[Moderator Mode]

Merged the thread "UAE Port Operations" into this one...same topic...

[/Moderator Mode]

Here is something interesting.

http://www.theconservativevoice.com/articles/article.html?id=12477
Left and Right Finding Common Ground
February 18, 2006 11:49 PM EST

In the wake of the revelations that the Bush Administration is supporting the sale of port facilities in 6 of our US Port Cities to interests in Dubai, there is an unusual phenomenon taking place. As intriguing and infrequent as a solar eclipse… an unlikely meeting of the minds is taking place across the political spectrum as ideologues as divergent as Chuck Schumer (D-NY) and rightwing radio radical Michael Savage find common ground in their opposition to the "PortGate" sale.

http://www.theconservativevoice.com/forum/read.html?id=1658

Dr. Michael Savage announced a "surprise guest" to his listening audience. He proceeded to introduce and interview New York Senator Charles Schumer.

Savage saluted Schumer and other liberal democrats for opposing the astonishingly reckless sale of US port security to the UAE at a time when America is at war with Islam extremists.

Calm2Chaos said:
This is a stupid azz idea on pretyt much every level. Stable or not this area churns out terrorist like marshmallows. Lets just give them the c4 and planes they need and get it over with it

This whole thing makes no sense to me. Why? Why would we even think about doing this? What is the payoff for us? I keep waiting for someone at the White House to walk out and say "April Fools! gotcha!" It is still February, right?

It seems that Bush want's to leave the fox in charge of the chicken coop. At a time when one of our weak security areas is cargo coming into this country from foreign countries, this doesn't seem to be a good time for the US to be making this sale. Perhaps down the road when things have calmed down a bit the sale will be feasible, but not now.

The Democrats seem to be making this a rally cry against Bush policy on terror. There even seem to be a few Republicans against the deal.

I think Bush just shot himself in the foot.:mrgreen:

Pacridge said:
This whole thing makes no sense to me. Why? Why would we even think about doing this? What is the payoff for us? I keep waiting for someone at the White House to walk out and say "April Fools! gotcha!" It is still February, right?
Why is it such a concern?...

When the British owned the ports, there were no problems, but when Arabs take over, everyone yells about the sky falling...racial profiling anyone?

Do you know of anything about Dubai?...They have the largest purse in the world for horseracing...They have the largest purse for an annual golf tournament.(Tiger gets even more to show up than the winner gets)...They are attempting to create the tallest building in the world...Have you ever heard of the "Plams of Jumeirah"?...Do you know they anticipate 60 millions travellers through their airpost terminals by 2010?...Do you know they built an indoor ski resort in the heart of the Middle East?...

Everyone is freaking out over people who's only concern is CAPITALISM...Look at everything mentioned above...It all flies in the face of radical Islam and it's servants...The very same people some here accuse them of being...

America has already declared our ports up for sale when Britian's P&O took them over years ago...No one complained then...

But the new owners will be darker...so I guess that's not allowed...:roll:

tumbleweed said:
It seems that Bush want's to leave the fox in charge of the chicken coop. At a time when one of our weak security areas is cargo coming into this country from foreign countries, this doesn't seem to be a good time for the US to be making this sale. Perhaps down the road when things have calmed down a bit the sale will be feasible, but not now.

The Democrats seem to be making this a rally cry against Bush policy on terror. There even seem to be a few Republicans against the deal.

I think Bush just shot himself in the foot.:mrgreen:

Maybe he's pulling a Harriet Myers? Maybe he's making this proposal in a fake out move, so he can propose something else?

I can't get the image of some guy in a turban saying "I can't believe it, they're selling my brother's firm a port. Seriously a port...on US soil. And, and this is the best part... you're never going to believe this... he's...he's going to be in charge of security, in charge I tell you! Praise Allah, our prayers have been answered."

cnredd said:

When the British owned the ports, there were no problems, but when Arabs take over, everyone yells about the sky falling...racial profiling anyone?

:

I am sure everyone would have been in uproar if they knew at the time when the brtish bought the ports.Politicians have sneakys way of selling us down the river to line their pockets.

jamesrage said:
I am sure everyone would have been in uproar if they knew at the time when the brtish bought the ports.Politicians have sneakys way of selling us down the river to line their pockets.
Bullshit...

The Japanese brought Rockefeller center over a decade ago and the people of America knew of this...They didn't like the idea of it, but they knew that capitalism was the instigator...the very same thing this country is ruled by...

And the very same thing that we've pushed on almost every other country in the world...How many McDonald's are there in the world?...Disney in France and Tokyo?...Chevys made in Mexico and Canada and Asia?...

The one place that needs this capitalistic ideology to escape from the tribal and ancient mindset is the Middle East...And when some there finally decide to jump in the ring, you say, "Sorry...you're not allowed to play."...:roll:

cnredd said:
Bullshit...

The Japanese brought Rockefeller center over a decade ago and the people of America knew of this...They didn't like the idea of it, but they knew that capitalism was the instigator...the very same thing this country is ruled by...

And the very same thing that we've pushed on almost every other country in the world...How many McDonald's are there in the world?...Disney in France and Tokyo?...Chevys made in Mexico and Canada and Asia?...

The one place that needs this capitalistic ideology to escape from the tribal and ancient mindset is the Middle East...And when some there finally decide to jump in the ring, you say, "Sorry...you're not allowed to play."...:roll:

Rockefeller center is not a entry point into our country for massive cargo ships.Would you let Mexico to run our ports?How about letting Mexico run our borders?
If Arab companies wanted to own and operate fast food places, resturants, Gaming facilities,buy a empty piece of land here to build a factory,and other things not involving a foreign entitys running our ports and or borders I would have no problem.

Letting foreign companies own and run our ports makes as much sense as letting Mexico run our border and sercurity checkpoints.

Last edited:
jamesrage said:
Rockefeller center is not a entry point into our country for massive cargo ships.Would you like Mexico to run our ports?How about Mexico running our borders?
I would like people who know what the heck they're doing to run our ports...And I don't care what country they're from from...

Will you call your bank and complain when you find out their computer programs were scripted by some guys from the Philipines?...They have terrorists there too, ya know...So I guess they're there to destroy the US economy...:roll:

Have you ever read up on Dubai World...The company that acquired the ports through a takeover of a British Company?...

DPI said:
DPI then went on to develop successful operations at the ports of Djibouti (2000), Vizag, India (2002) and Constanta, Romania (2003).

In January 2005 DPI transformed its network with the strategic acquisition of CSX World Terminals (CSX WT), the international terminal business of CSX Corporation, renaming itself DP World to reflect the change. This acquisition gave DPI a strong presence in Asia with major operations in Hong Kong and China as well as operations in Australia, Germany, Dominican Republic and Venezuela.

One cornerstone project, which underlines DPI’s position as a major player in Asia, is the development of Busan Newport, South Korea

In February 2005 DPI signed an agreement with the Cochin Port Trust (CoPT) to construct, develop and operate an international container transshipment terminal at Vallarpadam, Kochi, India.

Getting the point yet?....These guys are capitalistic professionals...Port authority and management is WHAT THEY DO...

To say they can adhere to capitalism except when it comes to us is pathetic and against all we stand for...

cnredd said:
I would like people who know what the heck they're doing to run our ports...

Have you ever read up on Dubai World...The company that acquired the ports through a takeover of a British Company?...

Getting the point yet?....These guys are capitalistic professionals...Port authority and management is WHAT THEY DO...

To say they can adhere to capitalism except when it comes to us is pathetic and against all we stand for...

So your not alarmed that a arab comapany is aquiring strategic ports all over the world?

Last edited:
I do have a problem with the approval of this turnover. Knowing that the UAE has a history of being an operational and financial base for the hijackers who were responsible for the attacks of Sept. 11 does not sit well with me and I am disappointed in the Bush administration for allowing this turnover to happen.

These are ports of entry to our country, we can not and really should not let another country operate our ports.

jamesrage said:
So your not alarmed that a arab comapany is aquiring strategic ports all over the world?
Do I raise an eyebrow?...Yes!...

But if our whole position in the global economy is to change the Middle East and to include them, I find it very hypocritical to turn our backs on those who jump on our ship...

Dubai World is actually an exception to the Middle Easterm rule...They are ALL ABOUT including themselves in the global community...To put them in the same sentence with terrorists is more insulting to them then them taking over any ports...

Read the article in the first post again...This transaction has been "rigorously reviewed"...as it should be...

Many here have already come to a different conclusion based on their geography and race...

Bullshit...

Well it has been awhile, but I can't be quiet any more. I have hear several times, through this tread that this transaction has been "rigorously reviewed".

Please define "rigorously reviewed".

What I have read ( http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,185401,00.html ) is; "review of the international shipping deal, saying the panel had done due diligence, even thought it had been done in secret with no congressional oversight".

or

"won approval from a secretive U.S. government panel"

Is this the same secretive panel that found it legal to wire tape, US citizens? Gives me alot of confidences that our(United States of America) best interests were kept in mind.

As for a comment about the fact that the ports are currently run by, Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation (P&O), a UK company and the fact that they are foreign as well. That is true, in a country will a similar government with checks and balances, that is traded on the London Stock Exchange.

As for DP World (an abbreviation of Dubai Ports World) is a company owned by the government of Dubai, which is a Federation that has no political parties. The United Arab Emirates does not allow political parties. Instead has a 40 member panel, representing the Emirates, appointed by the rulers of the constituent states to serve two-year terms, with only advisory tasks.

Reflecting.....
P&O in a country will a similar government with checks and balances, that is traded on the London Stock Exchange. DP World owned by the government which has no political parties and does not allow political parties.

Yep, doesn't sound anything alike.

Can you honestly sit there and say you are fine with a transaction that has take place to a country that I just described and that the FBI found that the UAE's banking system filtered much of the money used for the operational planning before the Sept. 11 attacks, and many of the hijackers traveled to the United States through the UAE?

And lastly, think of this. P&O has just renewed a contract with the United States Surface Deployment and Distribution Command to provide loading and unloading of military equipment at the Texan ports of Beaumont and Corpus Christi through 2010.

According to the journal Army Logistician “Almost 40 percent of the Army cargo deployed in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom flows through these two ports.”

Thus, the sale would give a country that has been “a key transfer point for illegal shipments of nuclear components to Iran, North Korea and Lybia” direct control over substantial quantities U.S. military equipment.

Is this the type of "rigorous review", that has taken place????

What happen to not having a "pre Sept 11, view of the world"!!!!

Not the kind of security I expect in this post 9/11 world, where seas are no boundaries. :rofl

Kandahar said:
How is this selling our sovereignty? The American government still can make laws regarding the operation of ports...how would a Dubai company operating our ports threaten American sovereignty more than a New York company would?

A note from a friend in the Gullf.

Hey cousin, me and some my friends in the Emerates would like to come to the USA, for a vacation we don't want the American Government to know of it. Please arrange it so we can come ashore in New York Harbor without being inspected.. Please arrange it or we will kill your family.

dragonslayer said:
A note from a friend in the Gullf.

Hey cousin, me and some my friends in the Emerates would like to come to the USA, for a vacation we don't want the American Government to know of it. Please arrange it so we can come ashore in New York Harbor without being inspected.. Please arrange it or we will kill your family.

Like I said, if Dubai compromises port security, it loses its contract. Simple as that.

Kandahar said:
Like I said, if Dubai compromises port security, it loses its contract. Simple as that.

And if they lose the contract, it will be after they have compromised security, and the resulting damage is already done.

No, it's not acceptable to sell our ports to any foreign entity, be it a company or a country. Is there no common sense left anywhere in the Bush administration? It is not the same as foreign companies buying a building, it absolutely is an issue of sovereignty. We should control our own ports, it's the job of the federal government to provide homeland security, right? Don't we have a whole Department for that very purpose? Our ports are already known to be a major point of weakness in our security. It doesn't matter which country you are selling the ports to, and nope, it isn't racist at all. Just good national security policy.

Bill Frist just came out with a statement that the Bush administration should put the deal on hold and do a more extensive review, with the threat that he will introduce legislation to stop it if that is not done.

:doh The stupidity of this deal is breathtaking.

128shot said:
are you paranoid?

Not in the least. Not exactly sure why worrying about handing over our ports to a country or countries that churn terrorist out a paranoid feeling. Are you so apathetic that you don't see the inherent dangers in this?

danarhea said:
And if they lose the contract, it will be after they have compromised security, and the resulting damage is already done.

We aren't talking about putting al-Qaeda in charge of our ports. You guys make it sound as though Dubai is chomping at the bits waiting to find some way to attack us, when in reality it's one of our best allies in the region. We're talking about a modern entrepreneurial country here.

cnredd said:

Do you know of anything about Dubai?...They have the largest purse in the world for horseracing...They have the largest purse for an annual golf tournament.(Tiger gets even more to show up than the winner gets)...They are attempting to create the tallest building in the world...Have you ever heard of the "Plams of Jumeirah"?...Do you know they anticipate 60 millions travellers through their airpost terminals by 2010?...Do you know they built an indoor ski resort in the heart of the Middle East?...

Everyone is freaking out over people who's only concern is CAPITALISM...Look at everything mentioned above...It all flies in the face of radical Islam and it's servants...The very same people some here accuse them of being...

America has already declared our ports up for sale when Britian's P&O took them over years ago...No one complained then...

But the new owners will be darker...so I guess that's not allowed...:roll:

Do the british churn out terrorist that are killing civilians and US soldiers?

-The UAE was one of three countries in the world to recognize the Taliban as the legitimate government of Afghanistan.

– The UAE has been a key transfer point for illegal shipments of nuclear components to Iran, North Korea and Lybia.

– According to the FBI, money was transferred to the 9/11 hijackers through the UAE banking system.

– After 9/11, the Treasury Department reported that the UAE was not cooperating in efforts to track down Osama Bin Laden’s bank accounts.

Profiling.. If it works, I see no problem with it. Has nothing to do with the color. Lets find another "darker" country that doesn't have terrorist ties and sell it to them.

Kandahar said:
We aren't talking about putting al-Qaeda in charge of our ports. You guys make it sound as though Dubai is chomping at the bits waiting to find some way to attack us, when in reality it's one of our best allies in the region. We're talking about a modern entrepreneurial country here.

That has ties to terrorism and terrorist.... EEEeeeee....NO

Back
Top Bottom