• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

U.S. Senate approves bill that would make Daylight Savings Time permanent in 2023

I actually am one of those who like all 4 seasons too. Probably one of the reasons I like living in NC so much, we actually do have all 4 seasons most years (sometimes we get them in single weeks but that is not nearly as great as having them in their proper times of year).
You should move to colorado. Then you can have all four seasons in the same day.

You should move to colorado. Then you can have all four seasons in the same day.
Like I said, don't care for them in the same week, don't want them in the same day. I like them gradually happening during each appropriate time of year, when I'm expecting them.

Just a note: The House still has to approve it but I think they will
The House tends to be more agreeable with changing things, compared to the Senate. Which is kinda how it's supposed to work.

Never thought I would see the day!

Of course as old as I am and if the House doesn't get on board with this I still might not!

OK

So with all the electronic equipment that automatically changes their internal clocks for me will I then have to correct that each time DST would have changed but my battery powered clocks will all be the ones who get to do raspberries at the electronic clocks?

Took me 65 years to get trained to this DST thingie now they want to change it all up!

Argh!

Never thought I would see the day!

Of course as old as I am and if the House doesn't get on board with this I still might not!

OK

So with all the electronic equipment that automatically changes their internal clocks for me will I then have to correct that each time DST would have changed but my battery powered clocks will all be the ones who get to do raspberries at the electronic clocks?

Took me 65 years to get trained to this DST thingie now they want to change it all up!

Argh!
Oddly enough, I have two clocks that need changed every switch, my car and my alarm clock.

The rest are computers or mobile devices, and that's just programming, so assuming this passes, I expect I'll have some updates to download.

Actually now that I think about it, I wonder how much power will be saved over millions of devices that no longer will need to spend resources on switching. A tiny amount spent currently, but over millions of devices it probably adds up.
For that matter, I know that there is human intervention required on some of the mainframes where I work to switch back and forth.

Oddly enough, I have two clocks that need changed every switch, my car and my alarm clock.

The rest are computers or mobile devices, and that's just programming, so assuming this passes, I expect I'll have some updates to download.

Actually now that I think about it, I wonder how much power will be saved over millions of devices that no longer will need to spend resources on switching. A tiny amount spent currently, but over millions of devices it probably adds up.
For that matter, I know that there is human intervention required on some of the mainframes where I work to switch back and forth.
It probably wouldn’t save anything. Most modern computers these days keep track of time in UTCand then apply an offset that is calculated on the fly as the system needs to know local time. At least Linux does.

UTC -5 or -4 for Eastern for example uses the same amount of power to calculate.

It looks like windows does too now (it used to not)

Last edited:

I have, manual time change clocks, the car clock my bedside alarm clock, three wall clocks so far, two stereo clocks, the Keurig machine, the microwave, the oven, plus a wristwatch and my Insulin meter and my BP cuff. I have two computers and a smart phone who have always changed by themselves.

:unsure:

I have, manual time change clocks, the car clock my bedside alarm clock, three wall clocks so far, two stereo clocks, the Keurig machine, the microwave, the oven, plus a wristwatch and my Insulin meter and my BP cuff. I have two computers and a smart phone who have always changed by themselves.

:unsure:
The only one that I have to manually change that we care about (the oven and microwave aren't set at all) is the car clock and honestly, I just warn anyone in my car during the winter that it is off.

It probably wouldn’t save anything. Most modern computers these days keep track of time in UTCand then apply an offset that is calculated on the fly as the system needs to know local time. At least Linux does.

UTC -5 or -4 for Eastern for example uses the same amount of power to calculate.

It looks like windows does too now (it used to not)

Interesting, I hadn't looked into it that far.
Good to know.

The only one that I have to manually change that we care about (the oven and microwave aren't set at all) is the car clock and honestly, I just warn anyone in my car during the winter that it is off.
I for some reason care about all of them being on the right time?

As if it really much matters to me at this point in my life.

Interesting, I hadn't looked into it that far.
Good to know.
I just am in a position to need to know this stuff to be competent at my job.

Like I said, don't care for them in the same week, don't want them in the same day. I like them gradually happening during each appropriate time of year, when I'm expecting them.
One thing about not doing the two year switch, the seasons will change never the less. It's almost like time and time zones are an arbitrary human definition

Finally!!!!!! Although think it should take place sooner. Oh well...... better late than never

WASHINGTON, March 15 (Reuters) - The U.S. Senate voted unanimously on Tuesday to make Daylight Savings Time permanent, a move supporters say would make winter afternoons brighter and end the twice changing of clocks.

The measure still needs approval from the U.S. House of Representatives and the backing of President Joe Biden. On Sunday, most of the United States resumed Daylight Savings Time, moving ahead one hour. The United States will resume standard time in November 2022.

Senator Marco Rubio said after input from airlines and broadcasters that supporters agreed that the change would not take place until November 2023.

Honestly, other than my pets wanting to be fed an hour earlier for a few days, I don't see the problem. Having to switch your clocks twice a year ranks right at the top of '1st world problems'.

One thing about not doing the two year switch, the seasons will change never the less. It's almost like time and time zones are an arbitrary human definition
Different reasons for liking those things though. Like I said, I like the fall change so that in winter months my children aren't going to school, waiting for the bus in the dark. But in summer months I do like having the extra hour of daylight in the evening rather than the morning.

Honestly, other than my pets wanting to be fed an hour earlier for a few days, I don't see the problem. Having to switch your clocks twice a year ranks right at the top of '1st world problems'.
I would suggest people go on a cruise across the Pacific that takes a few weeks to get there, stay a few months, then come back in the same amount of time (few weeks, maybe a month). The twice a year changing of clocks is nothing compared to those time changes. Even get a dates changing with that.

Finally!!!!!! Although think it should take place sooner. Oh well...... better late than never

WASHINGTON, March 15 (Reuters) - The U.S. Senate voted unanimously on Tuesday to make Daylight Savings Time permanent, a move supporters say would make winter afternoons brighter and end the twice changing of clocks.

The measure still needs approval from the U.S. House of Representatives and the backing of President Joe Biden. On Sunday, most of the United States resumed Daylight Savings Time, moving ahead one hour. The United States will resume standard time in November 2022.

Senator Marco Rubio said after input from airlines and broadcasters that supporters agreed that the change would not take place until November 2023.

Daylight saving always confused our credit card transaction system, which runs 24 hours a day. A transaction can be made at 1:59 AM. Then, an hour later another transaction is made that is timestamped 1:59 AM.

Yes! I completely agree. Make DST permanent or get rid of it entirely...but either way, stop messing with the clocks every year.

Some states might need to jump into a new time zone if this happens, but that's OK. We can adjust the time zones as needed.

I would suggest people go on a cruise across the Pacific that takes a few weeks to get there, stay a few months, then come back in the same amount of time (few weeks, maybe a month). The twice a year changing of clocks is nothing compared to those time changes. Even get a dates changing with that.
I remember the first time I flew from the west coast to Japan and ended up arriving the day before I left...odd

The U.S. Senate voted unanimously!

Great news! Hope the house passes this quick.

1647379365230.png

Sunrise in Edmonton on 21 Dec. will be about a quarter to 10.
Oh well. More sunlight in the evening is better more mental health and for most people you can actually enjoy rather than getting ready for work or commuting to work.

I remember the first time I flew from the west coast to Japan and ended up arriving the day before I left...odd
Flying west is worse jet lag than flying east, imho. We flew over nine hours from Glasgow to Vancouver and arrived an hour after we left.

Yeah, that's great for everyone who works indoors but there's a couple weeks in December when It's hard to start work outside at 8:00 am at about 49° north. Too dark. And It's worse the further north you go.
Move.

On second thought, don't.

Back
Top Bottom