• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

U.S. Senate approves bill that would make Daylight Savings Time permanent in 2023

Finally!!!!!! Although think it should take place sooner. Oh well...... better late than never

WASHINGTON, March 15 (Reuters) - The U.S. Senate voted unanimously on Tuesday to make Daylight Savings Time permanent, a move supporters say would make winter afternoons brighter and end the twice changing of clocks.

The measure still needs approval from the U.S. House of Representatives and the backing of President Joe Biden. On Sunday, most of the United States resumed Daylight Savings Time, moving ahead one hour. The United States will resume standard time in November 2022.

Senator Marco Rubio said after input from airlines and broadcasters that supporters agreed that the change would not take place until November 2023.

Agreed!!!

I've been hearing rumors for the last couple of years that this was going to be discussed in Congress. Kept wondering about it. It should have been settled over a year ago about doing this so that, right now, we might be discussing how nice it is enjoying the absence with our insane clock jacking.

They don't want everyone to have to change their clocks again. Everyone's already used to the schedule so the next change would be the last under this bill. And let's just hope that this passes because the clock switching is so stupid.

EDIT: To clarify, they want the extra evening hour to be the norm, so there will be two more clock switches, with next March being the last.

EDIT 2: Actually it says the change wouldn't take place until November 2023? No idea why. I was completely wrong. So we'd lose an hour in the evening? That sucks.
I think they are saying that Nov 2023 will be the first time that the clocks will NOT need adjusting, therefore staying on the "spring forward" time.

Nope. The only thing the article states is that the Airlines and Broadcasters asked them to wait. Maybe scheduling issues since they are usually computerized and prepared in advance
I guess that makes a certain amount of sense.

I wonder how Manchin will mess this up?

edit: Nevermind... it was the senate that passed it.

Last edited:
It's about time (no pun intended) they settled in on one permanent, year around time.

I live half the year in Arizona and half the year in Sonora Mexico, and both locations use Mountain Standard time year around and don't use DST.
Largely because both are southern. The closer you are to the equator, the less the of a difference that changing the clocks make to daylight hours. If you were in Calgary, however, you would have a better appreciation for the issue.

I am not a morning person, so having it light earlier in the morning means little to me. I prefer a full evening of sunlight, so I would be up for a permanent DST. Others may see it the other way .... they don't want to go to work in darkness.

I have little problem with the system as it is, though I do deal much with people in Arizona, so I always have to be clear about meaning times this time of the year since they move from MST to PDT and we move from MST to MDT.

I do remember it being really interesting when I dealt with people in the Southern Hemisphere as they moved the other way at the same time. Places that were on the same time zone where suddenly two hours ahead (or behind)

Last edited:
Let's hope this just sails through. The entire concept is pretty daft and change has been long overdue.

Largely because both are southern. The closer you are to the equator, the less the of a difference that changing the clocks make. If you were in Calgary, however, you would have a better appreciation for the issue.
Especially if you work outside. Farmer, logger, construction, lots of people.
On daylight savings time the sunrise will be 9 0something on 21 Dec. at 49° north, the border.

Largely because both are southern. The closer you are to the equator, the less the of a difference that changing the clocks make. If you were in Calgary, however, you would have a better appreciation for the issue.
I can see your point... I'm curious though, forget about the fact you're in Canada and this legislation wouldn't effect you, let's assume you all followed suit... How specifically would it negatively impact you and the people in your area?

EDIT: NM, I see your post above.

Give Canada and Mexico time to align, software to be changed, etc.
Sunrise in Edmonton on 21 Dec. will be about a quarter to 10.

Finally!!!!!! Although think it should take place sooner. Oh well...... better late than never

WASHINGTON, March 15 (Reuters) - The U.S. Senate voted unanimously on Tuesday to make Daylight Savings Time permanent, a move supporters say would make winter afternoons brighter and end the twice changing of clocks.
Gee - and I was just getting used to it.

I was under the impression that there were parents of school children who didn't want them outside, waiting for the school bus in the dark and cold. Is that no longer an issue for anyone?

I like the going back and forth. And if we had to switch, I want the other one, where you have the extra hour of sunlight in the morning (so staying standard time, not DST I think it is). I like having my kids going to school with light outside in the winter, but I also like having the extra hour of light during the summer evenings.

Gee - and I was just getting used to it.

I was under the impression that there were parents of school children who didn't want them outside, waiting for the school bus in the dark and cold. Is that no longer an issue for anyone?
I prefer that. I'm wondering if that could cause this to be an issue going through the House, people not agreeing on which to go to because of that.

I can see your point... I'm curious though, forget about the fact you're in Canada and this legislation wouldn't effect you, let's assume you all followed suit... How specifically would it negatively impact you and the people in your area?

EDIT: NM, I see your post above.
Except this would effect people in Canada who do business with the US, anywhere that has time change in place.

They don't want everyone to have to change their clocks again. Everyone's already used to the schedule so the next change would be the last under this bill. And let's just hope that this passes because the clock switching is so stupid.

EDIT: To clarify, they want the extra evening hour to be the norm, so there will be two more clock switches, with next March being the last.

EDIT 2: Actually it says the change wouldn't take place until November 2023? No idea why. I was completely wrong. So we'd lose an hour in the evening? That sucks.
The time goes back so I believe you gain an hour but it would be dark sooner
I stated this incorrectly. The clock would not change in November 2023 but would remain on the time we change it to in March 2023 so you don't lose or gain anything

I do too.
Like some who say they like four seasons, I like the spring and fall change of time.
I actually am one of those who like all 4 seasons too. Probably one of the reasons I like living in NC so much, we actually do have all 4 seasons most years (sometimes we get them in single weeks but that is not nearly as great as having them in their proper times of year).

Any idea why we would have to wait until 2023?
I'm assuming that's to give everyone time to change the programming of tons of software that switches between the two modes automatically, among other changes.
Even then, there are probably going to be thousands of clocks that have to be replaced or something.

Edit: Wait, if we're going to daylight savings time permanently, that means the east coast time zone will switch from a "standard" of UTC-5 to UTC-4
For that matter, all the time zones across the country will have a new standard time.

Not that anyone will notice after a few years of it not switching twice a year.

That would be wonderful. I might have to unlike the OP so that I can like it twice.

Back
Top Bottom