• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump torpedoes funding bill over border wall

Trump disagrees, he's going to build a massive, physical, inflexible barrier.

Trump disagrees, immigrants are bad and should be prevented from entering the US, legally or not, seeking work.

What's the difference between a government threatening someone's safety and a government refusing to do something about groups that threaten someone's safety, in terms of need for refuge?

Well, yeah.

Trump doesn't disagree with the "virtual wall". Here's a 2016 WaPo article criticizing Trump for "waffling" on the idea of a physical wall. - https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/08/29/could-donald-trumps-border-wall-really-just-be-a-virtual-wall-not-according-to-trump/noredirect=on&utm_term=.cff266c43288

Trump isn't opposed to foreigners who come here legally. Heck, he's married to one.

The difference between a government that threatens its people and a government that only assists people who are actually being threatened is the "threatened" part.

Trump doesn't disagree with the "virtual wall". Here's a 2016 WaPo article criticizing Trump for "waffling" on the idea of a physical wall. - https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/08/29/could-donald-trumps-border-wall-really-just-be-a-virtual-wall-not-according-to-trump/noredirect=on&utm_term=.cff266c43288

There's no quote in that article from Trump that suggests anything less than a physical wall.

Trump isn't opposed to foreigners who come here legally. Heck, he's married to one.

Sure he is:
Banned nationals of eight countries, most majority-Muslim, from entering the United States.
Reduced refugee admissions to the lowest level since the resettlement program was created in 1980.

Reversed the decline in arrests of unauthorized immigrants in the U.S. interior that had occurred during the last two years of the Obama administration.
Cancelled the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program, which is currently providing work authorization and temporary relief from deportation to approximately 690,000 unauthorized immigrants brought to the United States as children.
Ended the designation of Temporary Protected Status for nationals of Haiti, Nicaragua and Sudan, and signaled that Hondurans and possibly Salvadorans may also lose their work authorization and protection from removal in 2018.

3 out of 5 of his major policy changes have reduced legal immigration.

The difference between a government that threatens its people and a government that only assists people who are actually being threatened is the "threatened" part.

I think you misunderstood. If someone's threatened, what's the difference if the threat comes from government or criminals?

Great. 57% of Americans do not support funding Trumps Wall.

Trump said he would own this shutdown, and he certainly will.

the stock market took another hit over this.

Democrats can keep gov open by giving him the funding he is requesting

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

At this time, Republicans own all 3 branches of government. If the government shuts down, it will all be on them.

At this time, Republicans own all 3 branches of government. If the government shuts down, it will all be on them.
Your willfull ignorance is noted

"Keep our borders open to all or we're going to blame you for shutting down the government!"

"No National Security!"

"Hey! This is voter suppression because those illegals are tomorrow's Democrats!"

Why is the wall the same thing, the ONLY thing that can bring border security?

Your willfull ignorance is noted

What's ignorant about posting the fact that Republicans own all 3 branches of government? The ignorance is yours, for not even knowing that.

What's ignorant about posting the fact that Republicans own all 3 branches of government? The ignorance is yours, for not even knowing that.
Ok so a bill to fund the wall has left the house tonight without Democrat support. Now it's not possible to get through the Senate without some Democrat support. You know this already. Tell us again how it's the GOP blocking the bill

Ok so a bill to fund the wall has left the house tonight without Democrat support. Now it's not possible to get through the Senate without some Democrat support. You know this already. Tell us again how it's the GOP blocking the bill

because Trump owns the shutdown

Why do people post that stupid stuff?

The "illegals" can't vote. That's a fact.

And by the way, Trump said this was his shutdown, so the blame is his and his alone. Anyone with a brain heard him say it and doesn't need anyone to tell them to blame him. He took the blame already.

And by the way, nobody is saying "No national security".

But hyperbole is fun, isn't it?

People are trying to get them the right to vote, as with what we've seen in San Francisco. Which would just open the door for more possibilities.

Weakening our national security is no better.

Hyperbole is funny, especially when it's on the right track as with what California has going on. Then gain, hyperbole isn't new from either side of the isle. Seeing as people started to scream that the boarder wall was racist not long after Trump started running for president.

Please tell me you don't honestly believe that?

Individual-1 clearly said that he would be delighted to shutdown the government over the wall. The Senate voted yesterday for a stopgap measure that didn’t include the Wall. That means Republicans voted for it.

"‘We do not have Obama judges or Trump judges, Bush judges or Clinton judges. What we have is an extraordinary group of dedicated judges doing their level best to do equal right to those appearing before them.’"

The Chief Justice disagrees.

Government shut down is a joke. It is an extra paid vacation for government workers, albeit, with a delay of payment. Only the tax payer loses services even though they still have to pay taxes during a shut down. Maybe a better way is instead of vacation pay for government workers, whatever money is saved by shutting down the Government should go to the wall. It may take a day of loss vacation pay to fund the wall and then all is back to normal via a half ass spending bill.

If we get rid of the paid vacation clause, the rank and file will protest the lost of pay, and the House and Senate will feel the heat when their staff does not show up for work. If shut downs do not hurt the government, more that the tax payer who pays the tab, what is the purpose? How about the government workers need to continue providing service, without pay, for a change? Or the money saved, during shut downs, becomes a tax cut for everyone via tax amnesty. Government has to slapped for incompetence to make them change their ways.

Please tell me you don't honestly believe that?

Translation: I want you to believe Republicans don't own all 3 branches of government. Don't let your eyes deceive you. What you see isn't real.

The Democrats own refusing to fund border security as being requested.

Democrats offered funding for border security. Trump didn't want border security. He wants a vanity project.

As you can see from the posts on this site and, if I guess correctly elsewhere, reality does not matter. They are blaming the Democrats. They were told to.

Seems increasingly likely that historians will peg this era as the time when we really should have known American republican democracy was finished, if (since) we failed to work it out earlier.

As you can see from the posts on this site and, if I guess correctly elsewhere, reality does not matter. They are blaming the Democrats. They were told to.

Seems increasingly likely that historians will peg this era as the time when we really should have known American republican democracy was finished, if (since) we failed to work it out earlier.

It's as if we now live in the Twilight Zone. Up is down, in is out...

Democrats offered funding for border security. Trump didn't want border security. He wants a vanity project.

He wants the Space Force to admire the Trump Wall from miles up in space.

Back
Top Bottom