• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every persons position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

This I call BULLCRAP!

ZGM

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Scientists saying cell phones are killing honeybees? What kind of garbage is this??

Believe it or not, I bet scientists are misguided these days. Otherwise, if you're a beekeeper, maybe avoid bringing your cellphone to work or maybe the most likely cause of all is...

*drum roll*

Overcrowded hives!!

Last edited:

Middleground

Dam Epidamic
Bartender
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
You're just hearing about it now??? There's been speculation for years.

Do you have a link to some actual scientific findings?

ZGM

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Do you have a link to some actual scientific findings?
:p

Only if you don't find this actual!!!

Tell me. Which do you believe is to blame for the honeybee loss? I bet we're seeing more right now! Now what causes the opposite of what I just said?

Pesticides?
Overcrowded hives?

Or can you really believe electromagnetic radiation from cell phones is to blame???

Last edited:

spud_meister

Veni, vidi, dormivi!
Dungeon Master
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Communist
i thought it was a type of mite killing bees, which is why my continent is the only safe place for bees left in the world :)

angrybeaver

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Why dont they just stop them buying them? boom boom!

ZGM

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
i thought it was a type of mite killing bees, which is why my continent is the only safe place for bees left in the world :)
What continent? Asia? Australia?

spud_meister

Veni, vidi, dormivi!
Dungeon Master
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Communist
What continent? Asia? Australia?
Australia.

i watched a doco on this quite recently, and if i remember correctly, it said a species of asian mite had mutated in the european honey bees and was getting into all the hives and killing the bees, and Aus was the only place it hasn't reached.

WI Crippler

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
There was a bee flying near me the other day, so I started texting furiously. Today, I don't see him. That's all the evidence I need.

Aunt Spiker

Cheese
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Spud's right - it's a mite that they finally discovered being the cause for the mass death of countless bees both apiary and wild. The mite causes various problems - disease and infection as well as blocked airways.

Mell

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
''Believe it or not, I bet scientists are misguided these days.''

Id say, they are reporting the results of a certain test or survey. I dont think they claim anything to be a conclusion. As I understand, they put out a result, other scientists try their best to disprove it, and if it stands the test of time it is the truth. This is how scientific research in fact is done. Id say those who have no qualifications and/or experience are often misguided when they try to interpret information from various scientific research sources, because they unrealistically expect the results to be the final conclusion, when in fact scientific research is ongoing and always has been, and always will be.

Deuce

Outer space potato man
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
They didn't say cell phones was the only factor. I don't see why this is so hard to understand. What makes you think radio waves couldn't possibly affect them in any way?

Hoplite

Technomancer
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Does the OP have any research or science to back their claims up? Or even any information on the ideas he is decrying?

Jerry

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Scientists saying cell phones are killing honeybees? What kind of garbage is this??

Believe it or not, I bet scientists are misguided these days. Otherwise, if you're a beekeeper, maybe avoid bringing your cellphone to work or maybe the most likely cause of all is...

*drum roll*

Overcrowded hives!!
And here I thought all my Raid and improvised blow-torches were killing the bees. What a relief.

Middleground

Dam Epidamic
Bartender
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Spud's right - it's a mite that they finally discovered being the cause for the mass death of countless bees both apiary and wild. The mite causes various problems - disease and infection as well as blocked airways.
Yes, that is a theory, and it's a strong one. Last I heard, it was not deemed as the bee's knees of reasons, though. ;-)

Middleground

Dam Epidamic
Bartender
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

*drum roll*

Overcrowded hives!!

I don't know. There are a bunch of theories out there, including radiation from cell phones. I'm not tossing any possibility until the research becomes more certain.

RightinNYC

Girthless
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
Does the OP have any research or science to back their claims up? Or even any information on the ideas he is decrying?
There's a link in the OP under the word "this."

We should probably make those more visible.

Harry Guerrilla

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian

*drum roll*

Overcrowded hives!!
If you know anything about cultivated bees, you'll understand that the most likely cause is a parasitic mite or a newly introduced invasive species.

I think it's Varroa destructor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

RyrineaHaruno

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
YES this is bull crap just like the cell phones cause cancer

Hoplite

Technomancer
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
There's a link in the OP under the word "this."

We should probably make those more visible.
Ah, ok :)

The experiment sounds like it can be replicated, so I'd be interested to see if the results can be replicated as well. If it can be, there may be something to this idea.

However it would have to be demonstrated that cell phone use at long range was causing the problem. In the article, the phones were placed DIRECTLY in the hive and any electronic device gives out an EM field which many animals and insects can sense.

Last edited:

MyOwnDrum

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
You guys can joke around, but without honeybees we are doomed. The fate of the human race is dependent on the fate of the honeybee. No honeybees, no food.

WI Crippler

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
However it would have to be demonstrated that cell phone use at long range was causing the problem. In the article, the phones were placed DIRECTLY in the hive and any electronic device gives out an EM field which many animals and insects can sense.
I don't know about you, but that is where I keep my cellphone.

Harry Guerrilla

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
You guys can joke around, but without honeybees we are doomed. The fate of the human race is dependent on the fate of the honeybee. No honeybees, no food.
They aren't all dying, it's just that they mite is very resistant to the miticides that exist, also treating a honey hive with poisons can have adverse effects on the honey and the bees.

They are breeding hardier bees with better cleaning habits.
European type bees have been domesticated for quite a long time, so there are some inherent genetic weaknesses in their systems.

ZGM

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
I hate mites!!

Top Bottom