• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

This I call BULLCRAP!

ZGM

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Scientists saying cell phones are killing honeybees? What kind of garbage is this??

Believe it or not, I bet scientists are misguided these days. Otherwise, if you're a beekeeper, maybe avoid bringing your cellphone to work or maybe the most likely cause of all is...

*drum roll*

Overcrowded hives!!

Last edited:
You're just hearing about it now??? There's been speculation for years.

Do you have a link to some actual scientific findings?

Do you have a link to some actual scientific findings?

:p

Only if you don't find this actual!!!

Tell me. Which do you believe is to blame for the honeybee loss? I bet we're seeing more right now! Now what causes the opposite of what I just said?

Pesticides?
Overcrowded hives?

Or can you really believe electromagnetic radiation from cell phones is to blame???

Last edited:
i thought it was a type of mite killing bees, which is why my continent is the only safe place for bees left in the world :)

Why dont they just stop them buying them? boom boom!

i thought it was a type of mite killing bees, which is why my continent is the only safe place for bees left in the world :)

What continent? Asia? Australia?

What continent? Asia? Australia?

Australia.

i watched a doco on this quite recently, and if i remember correctly, it said a species of asian mite had mutated in the european honey bees and was getting into all the hives and killing the bees, and Aus was the only place it hasn't reached.

There was a bee flying near me the other day, so I started texting furiously. Today, I don't see him. That's all the evidence I need.

Spud's right - it's a mite that they finally discovered being the cause for the mass death of countless bees both apiary and wild. The mite causes various problems - disease and infection as well as blocked airways.

''Believe it or not, I bet scientists are misguided these days.''

Id say, they are reporting the results of a certain test or survey. I dont think they claim anything to be a conclusion. As I understand, they put out a result, other scientists try their best to disprove it, and if it stands the test of time it is the truth. This is how scientific research in fact is done. Id say those who have no qualifications and/or experience are often misguided when they try to interpret information from various scientific research sources, because they unrealistically expect the results to be the final conclusion, when in fact scientific research is ongoing and always has been, and always will be.

They didn't say cell phones was the only factor. I don't see why this is so hard to understand. What makes you think radio waves couldn't possibly affect them in any way?

Does the OP have any research or science to back their claims up? Or even any information on the ideas he is decrying?

Scientists saying cell phones are killing honeybees? What kind of garbage is this??

Believe it or not, I bet scientists are misguided these days. Otherwise, if you're a beekeeper, maybe avoid bringing your cellphone to work or maybe the most likely cause of all is...

*drum roll*

Overcrowded hives!!

And here I thought all my Raid and improvised blow-torches were killing the bees. What a relief.

Spud's right - it's a mite that they finally discovered being the cause for the mass death of countless bees both apiary and wild. The mite causes various problems - disease and infection as well as blocked airways.

Yes, that is a theory, and it's a strong one. Last I heard, it was not deemed as the bee's knees of reasons, though. ;-)

*drum roll*

Overcrowded hives!!

I don't know. There are a bunch of theories out there, including radiation from cell phones. I'm not tossing any possibility until the research becomes more certain.

Does the OP have any research or science to back their claims up? Or even any information on the ideas he is decrying?

There's a link in the OP under the word "this."

We should probably make those more visible.

*drum roll*

Overcrowded hives!!

If you know anything about cultivated bees, you'll understand that the most likely cause is a parasitic mite or a newly introduced invasive species.

I think it's Varroa destructor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

YES this is bull crap just like the cell phones cause cancer

There's a link in the OP under the word "this."

We should probably make those more visible.
Ah, ok :)

The experiment sounds like it can be replicated, so I'd be interested to see if the results can be replicated as well. If it can be, there may be something to this idea.

However it would have to be demonstrated that cell phone use at long range was causing the problem. In the article, the phones were placed DIRECTLY in the hive and any electronic device gives out an EM field which many animals and insects can sense.

Last edited:
You guys can joke around, but without honeybees we are doomed. The fate of the human race is dependent on the fate of the honeybee. No honeybees, no food.

However it would have to be demonstrated that cell phone use at long range was causing the problem. In the article, the phones were placed DIRECTLY in the hive and any electronic device gives out an EM field which many animals and insects can sense.

I don't know about you, but that is where I keep my cellphone.

You guys can joke around, but without honeybees we are doomed. The fate of the human race is dependent on the fate of the honeybee. No honeybees, no food.

They aren't all dying, it's just that they mite is very resistant to the miticides that exist, also treating a honey hive with poisons can have adverse effects on the honey and the bees.

They are breeding hardier bees with better cleaning habits.
European type bees have been domesticated for quite a long time, so there are some inherent genetic weaknesses in their systems.

I hate mites!!

Back
Top Bottom