• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Third night of unrest in Sweden over far-right anti-Islam rally

Christians have slaughtered literally hundreds of millions over the years, yet you’d be outraged if a bunch of Muslim nutjobs got together and started burning Bibles all over the place. So spare us the posturing.
Stick to the subject. Some Swedish protestors decided to go and buy some copies of the Koran (making them THEIR property), and then burn their PROPERTY and/or pour pig blood on it. So, how is that not their right, and how does the Muslim reaction of burning cars and businesses (not their property) compare to that?

The right’s desperation to excuse religious bigotry is utterly pathetic.
I see no religious bigitory in this. Burning a Koran is not bigotry. Burning a Muslim, yes, that would be different. But burning a book harms no one.

Ah so the young leftist do it in Sweden and the old white righties do it in America. It happens. No biggie. lol

Stick to the subject. Some Swedish protestors decided to go and buy some copies of the Koran (making them THEIR property), and then burn their PROPERTY and/or pour pig blood on it. So, how is that not their right, and how does the Muslim reaction of burning cars and businesses (not their property) compare to that?

I see no religious bigitory in this. Burning a Koran is not bigotry. Burning a Muslim, yes, that would be different. But burning a book harms no one.

A bunch of bigots decided to do something deeply bigoted and, surprise surprise, people don’t like that. If it was a bunch of Muslims burning Bibles on yesterday you’d be shrieking your rage to the sky, so, again, spare us the bullshit.

I’ll give you a hint— nowhere is there a “right to a positive reaction”. Nobody is obligated to be okay with bigoted actions towards their religion(and if you really don’t see how desecrating a Koran, or burning it, is bigoted, then you’ve got MUCH bigger problems).

Have you ever read the Koran and seen all of the commandments in it on how to kill and oppress non Muslims?

So, do you really want to stick to the claim that anti- Muslim protests, including burning a book, or pouring pig blood on it, is actually worse than what Islam teaches to do to non believers?

If these Muslim immigrants did not want to live in a country where people have a right to free speech and free expression of ideas, then why did they immigrate to Sweden?
Let us see a left wing politician going into a ultra conservative area of Alabama, having a political rally where he is going to pee over the constitution, wrap it in an American flag, tie it to the bible and an Roll tide shirt and then that politician is going to set the whole thing on fire, filming it while singing the I hate America and Alabamans are the most stupid people on the world.

Do you think that politician is going to be allowed to do that? But instead of stone throwing idiots there will be a bunch of armed Alabamans to stop that politician from doing what he wants to do.

Well, this politician is going to area's in Sweden with a big muslim group of people there. preferably on the day Friday, the muslim day of prayer. And then state that he is going to hold a rally to insult, malign and attack muslims and light a islamic holy book on fire. He is creating these counter demonstrations on purpose to try and win votes.

FYI, there is no justification for the violence of these youths.

Burning a religious book with the knowledge that this will infuriate believers is unnecessary and idiotic.
The point is that the believers should not be infuriated in the first place... much less they freak out and act violently.
The Neo-Nazi book burning is therefore not free speech really, but incitement of hatred.
It is 100% free speech just as burning the US flag is in front of veterans... but you lost this point the moment you said "Nazi"

Islam was founded in the year 600.

so is 600 years newer than Christianity.

Where was Christianity 600 years ago?

I wonder how many of you met Muslim intellectuals to have a discussion about geopolitics instead of watching Fox News. That requires to be open minded.
LOL. Isn't there an expectation that people catch up in this modern world of instant global interaction?

Not to all.

You have to meet several requirements, such as having no prior criminal conviction.
*sigh*

You said that they can not.
I showed that THEY CAN.

You are now agreeing with me in that they can but attempting to move the goalposts in a feeble effort to cling to your erroneous statement that they can not and all that is doing is showing that you are posting intellectually dishonest posts... A shame really...

Unrest broke out in southern Sweden late on Saturday despite police moving a rally by an anti-Islam far-right group, which was planning to burn a Qur’an among other things, to a new location as a preventive measure.

6173.jpg

Scuffles and unrest were reported in the southern town of Landskrona after a demonstration scheduled there by the Danish right-wing party Stram Kurs party was moved to the nearby city of Malmo, 27 miles south.

Opponents of Stram Kurs numbering up to 100 mostly young people threw stones, set cars, tires and dustbins on fire, and put up a barrier fence that obstructed traffic, Swedish police said. The situation had calmed down in Landskrona by late Saturday but remains tense, police said, adding no injuries were reported.

Kim Hild, spokesperson for police in southern Sweden, had said earlier on Saturday that police would not revoke permission for the Landskrona demonstration, organised by the Stram Kurs party, because the free-speech threshold for doing that is very high in Sweden.

1316428_bigpicture_471176_schweden_krawalle_03_afp.jpg

The right of the protesters “to demonstrate and speak out weighs enormously, heavily and it takes an incredible amount for this to be ignored”, Hild told Swedish news agency TT.

Since Thursday, clashes have been reported also in Stockholm and in the cities of Linkoping and Norrkoping – all locations where Stram Kurs either planned or had demonstrations.

On Friday evening, violent clashes between demonstrators and counter-protesters erupted in the central city of Orebro ahead of Stram Kurs’ plan to burn a Qur’an there, leaving 12 police officers injured and four police vehicles set on fire.

1316426_bigpicture_471174_schweden_krawalle_01_ap.jpg

Video footage and photos from chaotic scenes in Orebro showed burning police cars and protesters throwing stones and other objects at police officers in riot gear.

At Saturday’s demonstration in a park in Malmö, Stram Kurs’ leader Rasmus Paludan addressed a few dozen people. A small number of counter-protesters threw stones at demonstrators and police were forced to use pepper spray to disperse them.

Paludan himself was reported to have been hit on his leg by a stone, Swedish media said. No serious injuries were reported, according to police.

Paludan, a Danish lawyer who also holds Swedish citizenship, set up Stram Kurs, or Hard Line, in 2017. It runs on an anti-immigration and anti-Islam agenda.

Completely unnecessary provocation by these Neo-Nazis. You don't burn regular books, like the Nazis did, or religious books that many hold dear.
How does burning books and saying unpopular things justify having stones thrown at them? The counter-protesters are the ones in the wrong and they are the ones who should be arrested.

LOL. Isn't there an expectation that people catch up in this modern world of instant global interaction?
As my Algerian friend says that will require you (us) westerns to leave them alone to fight it out internally and externally amongst themselves instead of picking sides like Saudi Arabia, etc. Sure that is a risk an interventionist would say. We know better what's best for them.

Europe went through 2 World Wars, when people are tired of fighting then in my view progress is possible.

As my Algerian friend says that will require you (us) westerns to leave them alone to fight it out instead of picking sides like Saudi Arabia, etc.

Europe went through 2 World Wars, when people are tired of fighting then in my view progress is possible.
That is interesting... Your friend is saying that we have to wait patiently until they work it out? Honest question. Does that mean that we have to excuse violence, etc. as they work it out... or am I reading that incorrectly?

:)

Burning a religious book with the knowledge that this will infuriate believers is unnecessary and idiotic.

The Neo-Nazi book burning is therefore not free speech really, but incitement of hatred.
That's sound like a slippery slope that you're putting yourself on.

So when a group starts to burn books/flags elsewhere. Are you going to hold them to the same standards?

Does that mean that we have to excuse violence, etc. as they work it out... or am I reading that incorrectly?

:)
He was talking about their regions. You mean like Sadam Hussein was doing "chemical attacks" so we needed to show them pacifism?

As for the violence in the West commited by a few thousand radicals there should be laws on the books to be applied.

Also the far right is rising in Europe so an opposite force had to come into the picture. Same coin, opposite side.

and is good business for the media.

Some on the left can say white supremacists are attacking Muslims.

Some on the right can say Muslims are taking over Europe.

To each herd its own.

Last edited:
He was talking about their regions. You mean like Sadam Hussein was doing "chemical attacks" so we needed to show them pacifism?

As for the violence in the West commited by a few thousand radicals there should be laws on the books to be applied.

Also the far right is rising in Europe so an opposite force had to come into the picture. Same coin, opposite side.

and is good business for the media.

Some on the left can say white supremacists are attacking Muslims.

Some on the right can say Muslims are taking over Europe.

To each herd its own.
I asked a simple question and it seems like you went off on a political statement.

Good God.
There are a lot of totalitarians out there... oppressive wannabes that would deny rights to anybody that disagrees with them... he is one of them.

Have you ever read the Koran and seen all of the commandments in it on how to kill and oppress non Muslims?

So, do you really want to stick to the claim that anti- Muslim protests, including burning a book, or pouring pig blood on it, is actually worse than what Islam teaches to do to non believers?

If these Muslim immigrants did not want to live in a country where people have a right to free speech and free expression of ideas, then why did they immigrate to Sweden?
They did not. Most of them are second generation and born in Sweden. Also: It was not counterdemonstrations. In two of the locations the Danish right-wing extremist didn't even show up.

It is a culmination of the "war" between criminals and the police and the event with the Danish guy is just used as a cover and excuse to target policemen. Many of the ones involved in the rallies travelled to al places. They were really set on trying to kill police.

I asked a simple question and it seems like you went off on a political statement.
The answer is in the political statement. :D

I have no doubt, as a lawyer (am I right?) you will be able to find it. You are also talented at dissecting every sentence.

Your profession is great, it helps small business owners like me with words.

They vote exclusively for left wing parties. True this is self interest in most cases and not ideological, but you’re happy to take their votes
My god, were on earth did you get that from?

The answer is in the political statement. :D

I have no doubt, as a lawyer (am I right?) you will be able to find it. You are also talented at dissecting every sentence.

Your profession is great, it helps small business owners like me with words.
I hope that you have a good nights rest and we can talk in the morning. :)

Back
Top Bottom