• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Things democrats have funded that cost more than the border wall

bubbabgone

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
"After President Trump requested $5.7 billion to fund the border wall he campaigned on in 2016, Democrats have dug in, refusing to appropriate the funds that the administration says are needed to better manage the flow of immigration across the southern border.

Democrats are not traditionally known for their fiscal rectitude but are particularly parsimonious over what ultimately amounts to a very small percentage of the federal budget. (In 2018, the feds spent $4.173 trillion overall, meaning the border wall would amount to just 1/10th of 1 percent of current annual federal spending.)

Indeed, these lawmakers have happily funded various projects over the years that cost far more than the border wall — and many of which had very questionable value. Below are some examples of wasteful federal spending projects that individually cost more than the proposed border wall (data courtesy of Citizens Against Government Waste)​

https://news.grabien.com/story-things-democrats-have-funded-cost-more-border-wall

I guess the money ain't the reason then?

$8.2B, $6B, $15B, ... pretty soon you're talking free healthcare for a couple of weeks.

If you don't support a wall along the entire Canadian border, your argument is invalid.

Also, do you agree that feeding starving children who will literally die without help is "wasteful?" Go ahead. Tell me that's wasteful.

If you don't support a wall along the entire Canadian border, your argument is invalid.

Also, do you agree that feeding starving children who will literally die without help is "wasteful?" Go ahead. Tell me that's wasteful.

Canadians are not the problem

"After President Trump requested $5.7 billion to fund the border wall he campaigned on in 2016, Democrats have dug in, refusing to appropriate the funds that the administration says are needed to better manage the flow of immigration across the southern border.

Democrats are not traditionally known for their fiscal rectitude but are particularly parsimonious over what ultimately amounts to a very small percentage of the federal budget. (In 2018, the feds spent $4.173 trillion overall, meaning the border wall would amount to just 1/10th of 1 percent of current annual federal spending.)

Indeed, these lawmakers have happily funded various projects over the years that cost far more than the border wall — and many of which had very questionable value. Below are some examples of wasteful federal spending projects that individually cost more than the proposed border wall (data courtesy of Citizens Against Government Waste)​

https://news.grabien.com/story-things-democrats-have-funded-cost-more-border-wall

$8.2B, $6B, $15B, ... pretty soon you're talking free healthcare for a couple of weeks.

You're not getting a wall.

No need to go back to the '70's for examples. The Democrat budget proposal includes 20 billion more in foreign aid than the President's budget. And the government is sending 10 billion in supplementary aid to Mexico and Central America to improve their countries in the hope that the invaders will not be so anxious to make the trip.

Money isn't the problem. It's the excuse.

No need to go back to the '70's for examples. The Democrat budget proposal includes 20 billion more in foreign aid than the President's budget. And the government is sending 10 billion in supplementary aid to Mexico and Central America to improve their countries in the hope that the invaders will not be so anxious to make the trip.

Literally everything else has priority over a wall: global warming, Flint's water crisis, our infrastructure, cyber security, gun-related deaths, health care, education, my aging computer not being able to run photoshop as well, season 2 of True Detective sucking compared to season 1....everything is more important.

When literally every single problem in the United States has been addressed, we will take the wall issue seriously.

i don't care if it costs $150 for binder twine. the wall isn't our priority. tell me again when Republicans like spending money on Democratic priorities?

That's got to be one of the weakest threads on this I've seen.

Democrats have appropriated money to other things that were more expensive, therefore ....? :lamo

How can one expect to be taken seriously when one posts this as the thread title...

Things democrats have funded that cost more than the border wall​

....and then posts this as the OP....
[
QUOTE=bubbabgone;1069524357]

$8.2B, $6B, $15B, ... pretty soon you're talking free healthcare for a couple of weeks.[/QUOTE]​

...and in the OP is found not one specific physical construction initiative (physical construction because context matters) costing more than $21B.

The problem isn't the high cost of a border wall, you are correct. The problem is that Donald Trump (not 'republicans,' by the way) is lying about the purpose and efficacy of the wall. He says the wall is needed to secure the border, when in fact it is not and even if it were constructed with a budget of $60 billion dollars would do no such thing.

TBH: If Donald Trump told the truth and said, "I need a decorative monument to be constructed in my honor for my legacy as president of the United States because I got nothing else," I might be (marginally) more sympathetic. I still wouldn't want to waste taxpayer money on it, but at least he'd be telling the truth for once. And I might be slightly more open to negotiating some small stipend in exchange for something that really helps the American people. When he lies and uses fear tactics to stir up the emotions of the naive, I lean toward wanting democrats to totally deny him even the smallest of concessions. I'm with Nancy Pelosi in giving him exactly $1.00 of tax payer money towards his wall.

I don't understand the argument. I bought a 1000 dollar tv. But I refuse to purchase an 800 cell phone because I don't need nor want it and don't see the benefit of it. Am I somehow wrong in saying no to something even though I've spent more money on something else?

Any spending decision comes down to cost vs benefit. If it cost 1 dollar to build the border wall but it provided absolutely no benefit then it wouldn't be worth it. Like wise, the democrats aren't being asked for 5 Billion to build a wall. Because trump has yet to release the exact plans for the wall. They have nothing to even review. Where is the wall going? What stretches will be done and for how much money? Where are the reports saying that is where the wall is needed and it will help border patrol? Where are the exact designs of the wall?

If you guys wanted a wall you should have passed it when you held all of congress and the presidency. Now yall are just playing politics. Trump can eat a bag of dicks for all I care. When he presents an actual plan that includes the cost, lengths, locations, designs, effectiveness then I'll start listening. Till then I can't be bothered to give a single **** what that bloated hemorrhoid wants.

Literally everything else has priority over a wall: global warming, Flint's water crisis, our infrastructure, cyber security, gun-related deaths, health care, education, my aging computer not being able to run photoshop as well, season 2 of True Detective sucking compared to season 1....everything is more important.

When literally every single problem in the United States has been addressed, we will take the wall issue seriously.

Opinion not based on fact. But you missed the point.

Others have differing opinions.

AGW is a hoax. Flint can solve their own self induced water problem. Obama was given near a trillion to fix the infrastructure. We got signs and a government that couldn't find the shovels. Guns don't kill people. Healthcare is not an enumerated mandate. Education is a local issue. A couple hundred bucks will buy you a new computer. Besides nobody needs photoshop.

That's got to be one of the weakest threads on this I've seen.

Democrats have appropriated money to other things that were more expensive, therefore ....? :lamo

Yep. I can't refuse to purchase a 3K bottle of scotch because I've already purchased a 30K truck. It would be illogical of me.

The lengths that Trump supporters will go has no end. The funny thing is that he really really thought this was a very valid point that the article was making, lol.

Opinion not based on fact. But you missed the point.

Others have differing opinions.

AGW is a hoax. Flint can solve their own self induced water problem. Obama was given near a trillion to fix the infrastructure. We got signs and a government that couldn't find the shovels. Guns don't kill people. Healthcare is not an enumerated mandate. Education is a local issue. A couple hundred bucks will buy you a new computer. Besides nobody needs photoshop.

When all those things are fixed, I will seriously consider a wall. And yes, I need Photoshop.

The problem isn't the high cost of a border wall, you are correct. The problem is that Donald Trump (not 'republicans,' by the way) is lying about the purpose and efficacy of the wall. He says the wall is needed to secure the border, when in fact it is not and even if it were constructed with a budget of $60 billion dollars would do no such thing.

TBH: If Donald Trump told the truth and said, "I need a decorative monument to be constructed in my honor for my legacy as president of the United States because I got nothing else," I might be (marginally) more sympathetic. I still wouldn't want to waste taxpayer money on it, but at least he'd be telling the truth for once. And I might be slightly more open to negotiating some small stipend in exchange for something that really helps the American people. When he lies and uses fear tactics to stir up the emotions of the naive, I lean toward wanting democrats to totally deny him even the smallest of concessions. I'm with Nancy Pelosi in giving him exactly $1.00 of tax payer money towards his wall.

For the record, I'm not a wall proponent. A band aid on a broken leg. I favor drying up the reasons they come here. No more jobs, no more kiddie education. No more bennies. No more sanctuary anything.

I don't think President Trump sees the wall as a monument. I'm not sure he sees it as a broken campaign promise. He may see it as an ego buster.

My problem is the lie that it's about money.

Canadians are not the problem

Awesome, another right winger willing to admit that not all walls are cost-effective. I assume this means you will never again talk about "Democrats voted for border walls before!" as an excuse.

I don't understand the argument. I bought a 1000 dollar tv. But I refuse to purchase an 800 cell phone because I don't need nor want it and don't see the benefit of it. Am I somehow wrong in saying no to something even though I've spent more money on something else?

Any spending decision comes down to cost vs benefit. If it cost 1 dollar to build the border wall but it provided absolutely no benefit then it wouldn't be worth it. Like wise, the democrats aren't being asked for 5 Billion to build a wall. Because trump has yet to release the exact plans for the wall. They have nothing to even review. Where is the wall going? What stretches will be done and for how much money? Where are the reports saying that is where the wall is needed and it will help border patrol? Where are the exact designs of the wall?

If you guys wanted a wall you should have passed it when you held all of congress and the presidency. Now yall are just playing politics. Trump can eat a bag of dicks for all I care. When he presents an actual plan that includes the cost, lengths, locations, designs, effectiveness then I'll start listening. Till then I can't be bothered to give a single **** what that bloated hemorrhoid wants.

Yup

Two years no plan, no comprehensive study on the value for money. Fiscally Conservative my ass.

Except they and their supporters do not agree with building a wall, so there is no reason for them to agree to the money for the wall.

Only 9% of the polled people of democratic persuasion want to have a wall built on the border. Also only 34% of independents want to build a wall. And those are their voter pool and I am sure they do not want to anger their voters.

Is the fact that Democrats have funded other things a good reason for continuing to do stupid things?

Here is an example of the steel slat wall and how easy it is to break through with a saw purchased at the local store.

https://www.msnbc.com/stephanie-ruhle/watch/dhs-testing-of-steel-slat-border-wall-prototype-proved-it-could-be-cut-through-1423316547991

Isn't it about time to start doing things intelligently and for the betterment of the nation, instead of doing things on a person's whim?

How can one expect to be taken seriously when one posts this as the thread title...

Things democrats have funded that cost more than the border wall​

Because that was the title of the article and what was quoted was part of the content of the article indented rather than in a quote box.
That confused you?

When all those things are fixed, I will seriously consider a wall. And yes, I need Photoshop.

Try GIMP. Interfaces with Photoshop. Has more features than Photoshop. User maintained, and it's free. With the several hundred bucks saved you can buy a fairly nice new computer. Problem solved.

The reality is.............

This is not just about a wall getting built but about all the problems that are presently involved with illegal aliens and asylum seekers.

https://www.boston.com/news/politics/2019/01/07/a-look-at-the-border-reality-amid-the-wall-debate

None of these things are being addressed, other than the damn wall. You should be aware of all the problems and all the costs involved and perhaps you could find your way to realize that there are better places to spend the money on.

Try GIMP. Interfaces with Photoshop. Has more features than Photoshop. User maintained, and it's free. With the several hundred bucks saved you can buy a fairly nice new computer. Problem solved.

Perhaps, I'll look into it. Remember, literally every single existing problem in the United States must be fixed in totum before I'll consider putting a single dollar into a wall. All of them.

Perhaps, I'll look into it. Remember, literally every single existing problem in the United States must be fixed in totum before I'll consider putting a single dollar into a wall. All of them.

I get it. You don't like President Trump or the wall.

As I said, I don't want a wall. Lots of things I don't want. Lots of things other people want that I don't want to pay for.

I get it. You don't like President Trump or the wall.

As I said, I don't want a wall. Lots of things I don't want. Lots of things other people want that I don't want to pay for.

If you don't want a wall, welcome to the majority. And if you don't want to pay for it, you'll get your wish.

Back
Top Bottom