• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Things democrats have funded that cost more than the border wall

Most of those things in the article were not a one-time expense. They're still costing us as noted.
The Wall would not be in that category.

The wall is a totally unnecessary expense that would not serve the purpose meant for the cost. Spend the money on other things that will do more for the nation than this stupid wall. The amount of damage to our reputation will be much more than the small amount of benefits. Period!

Opinion not based on fact. But you missed the point.

Others have differing opinions.

AGW is a hoax. Flint can solve their own self induced water problem. Obama was given near a trillion to fix the infrastructure. We got signs and a government that couldn't find the shovels. Guns don't kill people. Healthcare is not an enumerated mandate. Education is a local issue. A couple hundred bucks will buy you a new computer. Besides nobody needs photoshop.

There is no reason to believe your "AGW is a hoax" claim...…….until you have studied it for as long as others who completely disagree with you. And we don't make the claim that "guns kill people"...…...we make the claim that "guns make it easier to kill people, in fact that's why it was invented."

Why would the BP tell us that most drug and human trafficking wouldnt be affected by the wall? Because they've published that, it's been posted here and in the media?

Why wouldnt the BP prefer that the $$ be spent on their needs instead of elsewhere, like law enforcement cracking down on employers, and thus removing the #1 reason illegals come here? (Gee, because then they'd see a lot of layoffs)

So the BP is lying ... but you did say "their needs" so which is it?
With your excuse not to appropriate money for what the Border Patrol says they need do you realize you also provided an excuse to turn down asylum requests at the Southern Border?

Its not about spending more...…..its about spending money on a wall that's not going to work, when illegal immigration is going down, and most studies show that immigration is a net positive to this country.

So it seems that republican want to spend money on ineffective ideas made up from their tiny heads while democrats want to spend money on healthcare and necessities that actually help people. Thanks for making my case for me.

Why do you think it won't work when it already does.

Illegal immigration of single males is going down and illegal immigration of families and unaccompanied children is going up. That's a bigger problem.
Illegal immigration is not a net positive given that.

I guess you missed the point of the article.

YOu do know that 5.7 billion would not build the wall. It would at least 25 billion, and that does not include the cost overruns.

I do know that I don't know how much the Wall will cost but you build what you can for $5B where it's most needed

There is no reason to believe your "AGW is a hoax" claim...…….until you have studied it for as long as others who completely disagree with you. And we don't make the claim that "guns kill people"...…...we make the claim that "guns make it easier to kill people, in fact that's why it was invented."

And there are those who completely disagree with you.

The wall is a totally unnecessary expense that would not serve the purpose meant for the cost. Spend the money on other things that will do more for the nation than this stupid wall. The amount of damage to our reputation will be much more than the small amount of benefits. Period!

So if walls don't work, you want to tear down the parts that are built? After all, they became immoral somewhere along the line and must have always damaged our reputation.

So if walls don't work, you want to tear down the parts that are built? After all, they became immoral somewhere along the line and must have always damaged our reputation.

This wall won't work because of all the meaning that is being attached to it. Building it will not accomplish as much as Trump says it will but if built it will open door to worse ransom demands and wreck our Democracy. Not building it, will mean that some common sense has finally won out over fulfilling Trump's whims.

This is no longer about the positives or negatives of a wall but about our Democracy. 66% of the populace does not want the wall and if built, it means that Democracy no longer rules.

If you can't see that, then you are just a blind Trump supporter that has no common sense and one that does not believe in Democracy. This wall is now a symbol more than anything else.

This wall won't work because of all the meaning that is being attached to it. Building it will not accomplish as much as Trump says it will but if built it will open door to worse ransom demands and wreck our Democracy. Not building it, will mean that some common sense has finally won out over fulfilling Trump's whims.

This is no longer about the positives or negatives of a wall but about our Democracy. 66% of the populace does not want the wall and if built, it means that Democracy no longer rules.

If you can't see that, then you are just a blind Trump supporter that has no common sense and one that does not believe in Democracy. This wall is now a symbol more than anything else.

You totally avoided what I asked you.

You paid $150,000 for your home and $20,000 for your car.

Therefore it’s absurd you won’t buy this piece of used scratch paper from me for $5,000. You paid more for other things in the past.

There have been a lot of ridiculous arguments both for and against the wall, but this might be the absolutely most pathetic one I’ve ever read.

You're not getting a wall.

Why what do you benefit from these people? Votes? Do they pay taxes? Now for the immigrants who are productive ok fine but you have to become a citizen and we’re going leave you alone. But whenever you are saying that we cannot have a proper security then we shouldn’t even have a open borders because we are acting like children over something stupid that we should have a right to do but we get a lecture about how it’s immoral. Immortal?

How can one expect to be taken seriously when one posts this as the thread title...

Things democrats have funded that cost more than the border wall​

....and then posts this as the OP....
[
QUOTE=bubbabgone;1069524357]
"After President Trump requested $5.7 billion to fund the border wall he campaigned on in 2016, Democrats have dug in, refusing to appropriate the funds that the administration says are needed to better manage the flow of immigration across the southern border.

Democrats are not traditionally known for their fiscal rectitude but are particularly parsimonious over what ultimately amounts to a very small percentage of the federal budget. (In 2018, the feds spent $4.173 trillion overall, meaning the border wall would amount to just 1/10th of 1 percent of current annual federal spending.)

Indeed, these lawmakers have happily funded various projects over the years that cost far more than the border wall — and many of which had very questionable value. Below are some examples of wasteful federal spending projects that individually cost more than the proposed border wall (data courtesy of Citizens Against Government Waste)​

https://news.grabien.com/story-things-democrats-have-funded-cost-more-border-wall

I guess the money ain't the reason then?

$8.2B, $6B, $15B, ... pretty soon you're talking free healthcare for a couple of weeks.​

...and in the OP is found not one specific physical construction initiative (physical construction because context matters) costing more than $21B.[/QUOTE]

From the link:

Foreign Aid. American taxpayers currently spend more than $50 billion a year helping develop foreign countries. Many of the recipients are not known for being America’s closest allies — such as Egypt, South Sudan, Uganda, South Africa, Russia, the Congo, Sudan, and Zambia — which raises the question of what Americans are receiving in exchange for all of this aid. Cutting these donations back just 10 percent would be enough to fund the wall.

Additionally, most of those things listed are per year. The upkeep on the wall will not be 21 billion a year.

The reason we can't build the wall isn't money or because it won't work, it's because we can't stop people from coming into our country. This country belongs to undocumented Americans every bit as much as document Americans. In fact, the word citizen should be removed from the constitution and replaced with the word inhabitant.

I don't understand the argument. I bought a 1000 dollar tv. But I refuse to purchase an 800 cell phone because I don't need nor want it and don't see the benefit of it. Am I somehow wrong in saying no to something even though I've spent more money on something else?

Any spending decision comes down to cost vs benefit. If it cost 1 dollar to build the border wall but it provided absolutely no benefit then it wouldn't be worth it. Like wise, the democrats aren't being asked for 5 Billion to build a wall. Because trump has yet to release the exact plans for the wall. They have nothing to even review. Where is the wall going? What stretches will be done and for how much money? Where are the reports saying that is where the wall is needed and it will help border patrol? Where are the exact designs of the wall?

If you guys wanted a wall you should have passed it when you held all of congress and the presidency. Now yall are just playing politics. Trump can eat a bag of dicks for all I care. When he presents an actual plan that includes the cost, lengths, locations, designs, effectiveness then I'll start listening. Till then I can't be bothered to give a single **** what that bloated hemorrhoid wants.

In the case of foreign aid, the argument is more along the lines of you spent 1000 dollars on a TV for your neighbor's family, except won't spend 800 on a cell phone for your own family.

In the case of the National Endowment of Arts, the argument is more along the lines of you spent money on a plate of decorated monkey ****, except won't spend money on a home security system no matter your house gets burglarized.

In the case of foreign aid, the argument is more along the lines of you spent 1000 dollars on a TV for your neighbor's family, except won't spend 800 on a cell phone for your own family.

In the case of the National Endowment of Arts, the argument is more along the lines of you spent money on a plate of decorated monkey ****, except won't spend money on a home security system no matter your house gets burglarized.

Nope.

In the case of foreign aid it is an analysis of how much power and influence and safety we get in return for that money. In some cases, propping up a government of a country so that they can prevent disasters from forming on the ground saves us money and allows for more diplomacy and trade etc. If you think that foreign aid is just flat out stupid then you honestly haven't thought about it or heard an intelligent person who knows the matter talk about it. You might fairly decide it's not worth it, but it's not a flat out stupid thing.

Is this what you want the United States to "look like"?

"So if walls don't work, you want to tear down the parts that are built? After all, they became immoral somewhere along the line and must have always damaged our reputation."
It appears not answering questions isn't one of your guiding principles.
If you're not going to answer again, please don't bother replying.

"So if walls don't work, you want to tear down the parts that are built? After all, they became immoral somewhere along the line and must have always damaged our reputation."
It appears not answering questions isn't one of your guiding principles.
If you're not going to answer again, please don't bother replying.

I did answer the question before. I said that this wall is special because it means so much more than any other walls already built. No, there is no reason to tear those walls down because they do not mean what this wall means. It is symbolism, if you know what that is. It is like giving in to ransom. You do it one time, and it means you will do it again and again and again and the ransomers will try it again and again and again. If you don't give in to ransom, the ransomers will stop trying.

This wall is immoral because it does not just separate one or a few areas where illegal immigration is high, it separates the entire United States from Mexico. Do you understand that?

:lamo
I'm sorry, but you simply canNOT follow remarks like these...

Opinion not based on fact. But you missed the point.

Others have differing opinions.

...with remarks like these...

AGW is a hoax. Flint can solve their own self induced water problem. Obama was given near a trillion to fix the infrastructure. We got signs and a government that couldn't find the shovels. Guns don't kill people. Healthcare is not an enumerated mandate. Education is a local issue. A couple hundred bucks will buy you a new computer. Besides nobody needs photoshop.

...and expect to be taken seriously.

The latter remarks were, of course, primarily a skreed of empyt-headed, Know-Nothing personal opinions. For starters, anyone who still believes Anthropogenic Climate Change is a hoax...is just a fool. And almost everything else in that paragraph was just standard ideological right wing claptrap. So I choose to believe you do NOT honestly believe what you just said.

:lamo
I'm sorry, but you simply canNOT follow remarks like these...

...with remarks like these...

...and expect to be taken seriously.

The latter remarks were, of course, primarily a skreed of empyt-headed, Know-Nothing personal opinions. For starters, anyone who still believes Anthropogenic Climate Change is a hoax...is just a fool. And almost everything else in that paragraph was just standard ideological right wing claptrap. So I choose to believe you do NOT honestly believe what you just said.

I so stated. Those were opinions. Nothing more. Exactly the same as the opinions which I addressed.

Which was the point.

These opinions:

Literally everything else has priority over a wall: global warming, Flint's water crisis, our infrastructure, cyber security, gun-related deaths, health care, education, my aging computer not being able to run photoshop as well, season 2 of True Detective sucking compared to season 1....everything is more important.

Leftists took border security seriously in 2006. They took it seriously in 2012. Idiot leftist muppet supporters nodded and cheered blindly when leftists voted FOR walls and fences in the past and cited the dangers and ills of illegal immigration.

Today, its unimportant.

because leftists are liars and hypocrites.

Sorry, but seeing wingnuts call "lefites" liars and hypocrites...is a lot like being called "ugly" by a bullfrog. :lamo

The simple fact-one that you obviously need to avoid- is that you and people like you are intellectually dishonest and/or just plain dishonest. And you all know it.

Anyone who still clings to the notion that a border wall is warranted, or that it will even work....is either being willfully played for a fool, or not too bright.

Border Security does not....should not....and will not include any more physical barriers, because they do not work. Period. To argue otherwise is to render oneself irrelevant to the discussion. For most people like you, this issue is really just about cultural and racial fears and resentments. The "Wall" is just the cover.

I so stated. Those were opinions. Nothing more. Exactly the same as the opinions which I addressed.

Which was the point.

Hardly the same....unless you are one of those conservatives who has difficulty distinguishing fact from opinion. The simple FACT is that there is no southern border immigration crisis...but there is a clean water crisis in Flint (for example). That not something that requires an advanced degree to understand. Same thing with respect to the issue of Climate Change.

Etc. etc.

Sorry, but seeing wingnuts call "lefites" liars and hypocrites...is a lot like being called "ugly" by a bullfrog. :lamo

The simple fact-one that you obviously need to avoid- is that you and people like you are intellectually dishonest and/or just plain dishonest. And you all know it.

Anyone who still clings to the notion that a border wall is warranted, or that it will even work....is either being willfully played for a fool, or not too bright.

Border Security does not....should not....and will not include any more physical barriers, because they do not work. Period. To argue otherwise is to render oneself irrelevant to the discussion. For most people like you, this issue is really just about cultural and racial fears and resentments. The "Wall" is just the cover.
Oh no. I'm nothing but honest. Of course if you would like to try to point to something I said that wasnt honest...fell free. Otherwise...

well...you know....

liars and hypocrites..........

if barriers don't work i think that we should remove them from the united states capitol buildings and, let's see how long that last. It's pathetic that we are talking about immigration like it's our only hope to what?

Back
Top Bottom