• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The sensation of overwhelming sensation.

As a first step, I would like to see hallucinogens legal for guided trips with a trained expert. They have shown a lot of promise for treating several mental conditions.

Not at all
1) Creates profits for organized crime
So - without drugs, they'll just stop wanting to make easy profit without paying taxes? They'll just improve their behavior, treat others better, and go to work? No. They'll just seek out another means of doing what they want to do.

2) Doesn't reduce substance abuse
Evidence proves the contrary. It's funny that you think legalizing it will reduce substance abuse. Seems highly illogical, and the evidence doesn't point to that.

3) Destroys lives that could be turned around
Drug abuse does that, legal or not.

4) Encourages the militarization of police forces
One of those pure opinion things. People have a low view of law enforcement in general, and seek out one 'cause' to blame. You've chosen this drug issue, someone else would argue it's unfair traffic laws and third would argue it's big brother.

5) Reduces civil liberties in the name of law and order
So here you're arguing it's a civil liberty to use drugs. I see - illogical, and another opinion.

See where we stand - you claim that opinion and myth X, Y, Z are all irrefutable facts, but they're not facts, nor are they irrefutable. See what's happened? Facts have to be supported by evidence, and your evidence isn't there.

So - without drugs, they'll just stop wanting to make easy profit without paying taxes? They'll just improve their behavior, treat others better, and go to work? No. They'll just seek out another means of doing what they want to do.

They will have fewer opportunities

Evidence proves the contrary. It's funny that you think legalizing it will reduce substance abuse. Seems highly illogical, and the evidence doesn't point to that.

No, the evidence supports my contention

And I didn't say that simply legalizing it will reduce use. I'm pretty sure I mentioned what I think would be effective

True, but criminalizing it just adds to the ruins

One of those pure opinion things. People have a low view of law enforcement in general, and seek out one 'cause' to blame. You've chosen this drug issue, someone else would argue it's unfair traffic laws and third would argue it's big brother.

It's certainly not a scientific fact. The laws of nature and physics don't require that the criminalization of drugs lead to the militarization of police forces, but the history of the practice suggests that it does.

So here you're arguing it's a civil liberty to use drugs. I see - illogical, and another opinion.

No, I'm arguing that the "War on Drugs", like many wars, is used to justify laws which restrict the freedoms of people who don't use drugs.

Yes - that's the funny part. You're honestly expecting me to believe that someone under the influence has full control over their faculties, senses, and reasoning? Whereas, elsewhere, you state that the purpose of being under the influence is to let go of these things.

It sounds to me like you're thinking of alcohol. Psilocybin doesn't affect motor control, reflexes, or reasoning. Also, I don't know where I stated letting go of those things was the purpose. Ironically, on mushrooms you do quite the opposite of "let go of your senses". Your senses are increased and enhanced. I would say if our society can deal with the massive amounts of damage alcohol does it wouldn't be too hard for it to handle people buying more munchies. LOL. I hope you've looked into the research behind psilocybin. It has a lot of medical potential if it wasn't for so many brainwashed people out there.

Not at all

You're referring to the dealers. The fact is people can function perfectly fine in society even if they light up every now and then. As for the dealers, many people sell pot because it's remarkably easy. I'm doubtful that every pot dealer would move on to hard drugs like coke, heroine, or meth.

Substance abuse? What's the actual issue with people smoking weed, or taking mushrooms? What negative effect would that have on society if those things were legal? We both know alcohol is more addictive and does more damage than both pot, and especially mushrooms.

Marijuana "destroying lives"? This is silly.

There's a big difference between getting a ticket and being thrown in jail for ten years because you had some weed.

It is when the "criminals" the government is hunting down aren't actually hurting anyone or causing any problems.

Back
Top Bottom