• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Second American Civil War?

What has that got to do with my post.
If you hate government so much why are you living in a country run by one?
Somalia had no government for a while and things turned out great so why don't you move there?
The point would be that you don't know anything about this subject either ;)

"Lenient" is an interesting description of Shermans March to the Sea

Under the laws of war of the time Sherman could have hung every Southerner who took a pop at his troops with a squirrel gun and been perfectly within his rights.

So yes, lenient.

Under the laws of war of the time Sherman could have hung every Southerner who took a pop at his troops with a squirrel gun and been perfectly within his rights.

So yes, lenient.
Im sorry this is the first Im hearing about Shermans troops getting fired on and just letting it slide

Im sorry this is the first Im hearing about Shermans troops getting fired on and just letting it slide

Oh, they didn’t “let it slide”.....but they wouldn’t have been obligated to take said civilians prisoner either, and could have executed every last one of them.....and been perfectly within their rights.

White Southerners desperate to portray themselves as the “real victims” of their war to protect slavery pretend Sherman was some sort of apocalyptic force due to how humiliated they were by their inability to stop him marching through the CSA’s heartland at will and ripping its guts out.

For the last decade ONLY ONE of the two major political parties has been threatening civil war.
If and when it heats up into a national shooting war, that will be the group held accountable for starting it.

Oh, they didn’t “let it slide”.....but they wouldn’t have been obligated to take said civilians prisoner either, and could have executed every last one of them.....and been perfectly within their rights.

White Southerners desperate to portray themselves as the “real victims” of their war to protect slavery pretend Sherman was some sort of apocalyptic force due to how humiliated they were by their inability to stop him marching through the CSA’s heartland at will and ripping its guts out.
I have no interest in portraying the Confederacy, a movement based around kneecapping American industrialization and handing the entire continent to European Financial Power as some kind of noble lost cause. What Im trying to explain is that at the time it happened the American Civil War was one of the bloodiest and longest dragging conflicts in human history. Definitely in living memory at the time. The idea that anyone on any side was "taking it easy" on anyone is completely insane. The idea that Southern resentment over losing would be less today if the war was even MORE of a giant meatgrinder is also legitimately one of the most deranged things Ive read.

I have no interest in portraying the Confederacy, a movement based around kneecapping American industrialization and handing the entire continent to European Financial Power as some kind of noble lost cause. What Im trying to explain is that at the time it happened the American Civil War was one of the bloodiest and longest dragging conflicts in human history. Definitely in living memory at the time. The idea that anyone on any side was "taking it easy" on anyone is completely insane. The idea that Southern resentment over losing would be less today if the war was even MORE of a giant meatgrinder is also legitimately one of the most deranged things Ive read.

And I’m pointing out the fact that within fifteen years after the war the south had already been allowed to begin recreating the “antebellum” system with complete impunity while the north sat back and allowed them to do what they wanted.

And I’m portioning out the fact that within fifteen years after the war the south had already been allowed to begin recreating the “antebellum” system with complete impunity while the north sat back and allowed them to do what they wanted.
"sat back and allowed them to do what they wanted" is once again. The most absolutely deranged description of Reconstruction I have read in my entire life. Whatever secondary source you picked this narrative up for is so flagrantly dishonest about the basic facts of our history you should treat them as hostile to you.

"sat back and allowed them to do what they wanted" is once again. The most absolutely deranged description of Reconstruction I have read in my entire life. Whatever secondary source you picked this narrative up for is so flagrantly dishonest about the basic facts of our history you should treat them as hostile to you.

Once again, within fifteen years of the war ending the south had been allowed to restore a significant portion of the antebellum system while the north sat idly by. Grant did what he could, but it doesn’t change the fact that the south got off effectively scot free.

My God you people are lost... only an ign***nt fool would want to live in a democracy.

America was founded as a republic, and only 1/2 of 1/3 (our House of Representatives) was designated to be elected democratically.

It was a brilliant design that allowed America to develop into the envy of the world.

Have any of you even read any of America's founding documents??

:LOL:

We are a democratic republic. Would you like us to turn into an undemocratic republic like China?

My God you people are lost... only an ign***nt fool would want to live in a democracy.

America was founded as a republic, and only 1/2 of 1/3 (our House of Representatives) was designated to be elected democratically.

It was a brilliant design that allowed America to develop into the envy of the world.

Have any of you even read any of America's founding documents??
BS. Being the only industrialized nation left standing after WWII made America a superpower. The "envy of the world" is debatable.

Yes

Its time the electoral college was left behind. But without it, Republicans know there chances at the WH are severely hampered. They cling to the electoral college like'a political lifeboat.

Then they should get their act-together.

The voting in America is generally fair and equitable. The Right knows how to bring out the vote to support its beliefs.

The only real problem is that most Americans are not sufficiently well-taught in high-school how politics works. And the fact that advertising was never ever an acceptable means for deciding who or what to vote for. Politics needs to be based upon factual information that informs the public regarding what is going on - and on both the local, state and federal level.

BS. Being the only industrialized nation left standing after WWII made America a superpower. The "envy of the world" is debatable.

Yes, that is factual history. Of course, history has moved on.

The European Union today is a more fair nation in which to live, which - in fact - is why people there live longer. Because the get an adequate National Healthcare System that is nearly free, gratis and for nothing. Mean people use it because it is very, very inexpensive.

It costs me the equivalent of $10 see a doctor and any resulting procedure costs me nothing. Which is a key reason why we here in Europe typically live 2/3 years longer than Americans ...

Yes, it's ironic.

A lot of work, and I was out of touch. I'm resting now.
When you are in your deathbed you won’t say “ I wish I spent more time in that politics forum “.

That is indeed an insightful analysis.

If only we had progressive policies in place back then, huh?? Imagine how great America would be today?!!

If only we had progressive policies in place back then, huh?? Imagine how great America would be today?!!
I don't see the point in discussion the road not traveled

What exists right now is what you'd call a cold civil war, mostly cold of course, there has obviously been some violence. If there is a civil war, people immediately think back to 1860, but the conflict isn't conducive to running home to grab your musket to come to grief at Bull Rull/Manassas, ok? It'd be more akin to Argentina's Dirty War, la guerra sucia or the Troubles in Northern Ireland. Not that those events weren't awful, they were, but a total war on the scale and scope of the 1860-1865 Civil War isn't in the cards. The triggering event would an economic catastrophe along the lines of a Great Depression because that would break essentially the last bond, a general shared prosperity. At that point though it'd be more likely to unravel in a secession than erupt into outright warfare.

JUST A FEW FACTS

The manipulation of the EC is pathetic for any country that THINKS it is a fair-democracy!

From here: Flaws in the Electoral College

Yes, well even the Replicants can learn that the foundation of any country is the decency of its electoral system.

Ours needs a general rework. The problem? We let BigMoney sell candidates for election. Which should be forbidden and would be were our children given the proper education of "democracy" in high-school.

Teaching students about democracy and their civic-duty is a key part of any high-school education. When students understand their government, they are able to better participate in society and help to create a stronger, more informed general population. Economic fairness is a key-factor in any democracy.

From Pew Research:
6 facts about economic inequality in the U.S

Excerpt:

One such "economic fact" (from here):

FT_20.02.04_EconomicInequality_1.png
Some is rich
some is poor,
that's the way the world is,
but I don't believe in laying back
saying how bad your luck is

Joe Strummer

JUST A FEW FACTS

The manipulation of the EC is pathetic for any country that THINKS it is a fair-democracy!

From here: Flaws in the Electoral College

Yes, well even the Replicants can learn that the foundation of any country is the decency of its electoral system.

Ours needs a general rework. The problem? We let BigMoney sell candidates for election. Which should be forbidden and would be were our children given the proper education of "democracy" in high-school.

Teaching students about democracy and their civic-duty is a key part of any high-school education. When students understand their government, they are able to better participate in society and help to create a stronger, more informed general population. Economic fairness is a key-factor in any democracy.

From Pew Research:
6 facts about economic inequality in the U.S

Excerpt:

One such "economic fact" (from here):

FT_20.02.04_EconomicInequality_1.png
We've been thru this before - democracy is a terrible form of government.

The EC is just one of many remedies to quell the concentration of power, and to prevent government from being wielded by anyone - including the majority.

The world is awash in ignorance though, and there is a cost to that. I believe the 21st century will prove to be the bloodiest century in the history of mankind.

Certainly hundreds of millions dead, probably billions.

BOYZ WILL BE BOYZ

The EC is just one of many remedies to quell the concentration of power, and to prevent government from being wielded by anyone - including the majority.

The world is awash in ignorance though, and there is a cost to that. I believe the 21st century will prove to be the bloodiest century in the history of mankind.

Certainly hundreds of millions dead, probably billions.

Ignorance has its boundaries the most prominent of which is higher-education. And lack of boundaries is where ignorance prevails - like Russia nowadays.

Given the history of mankind, "democracy" (the rule by popular-vote) is most certainly a great advance for mankind. Where employed properly, and for the moment that does NOT mean everywhere.

But neither is democracy generally absent on this planet. From Pew Research here: Globally, Broad Support for Representative and Direct Democracy

Excerpt:

A deepening anxiety about the future of democracy around the world has spread over the past few years. Emboldened autocrats and rising populists have shaken assumptions about the future trajectory of liberal democracy, both in nations where it has yet to flourish and countries where it seemed strongly entrenched. Scholars have documented a global “democratic recession,” and some now warn that even long-established “consolidated” democracies could lose their commitment to freedom and slip toward more authoritarian politics.

A 38-nation Pew Research Center survey finds there are reasons for calm as well as concern when it comes to democracy’s future. More than half in each of the nations polled consider representative democracy a very or somewhat good way to govern their country. Yet, in all countries, pro-democracy attitudes coexist, to varying degrees, with openness to nondemocratic forms of governance, including rule by experts, a strong leader or the military.

Boyz-will-be-boyz around the world and many such "boys" think that democracy is a fallacy and only Their Will will suffice. That is, "they" make THEMSELVES personally very rich whilst they pillage government revenues. Is the US amongst this group? Yes, given that after JFK's lowering of upper-income taxation (to please "daddy") the Replicants in power reduced even further upper-income taxation up to and including its present rates.

Russia is only the latest and most wanton example on this planet ...

PS: If interested, from here:
List of countries by tax rates

LIFE-SPAN DEPENDENCY UPON LOW-COST MEDICAL ATTENTION

That requires significant understanding of "progressive-policies".

In Europe, healthcare costs very little (compared to the US) which may be the main reason why European lifespans are 3 to 4 years more than that of Americans.

Everyone in France is obliged to pay a flat-rate contribution of €1 ($1.04) for all doctor's appointments. However, there is a 4-euros maximum-payment for medical acts.

Of course, if Americans want to protect the world with the latest military-gadgets then they must face the consequences in terms of very-high-cost medical-services which remains very largely a "private-practice".

Which means what? This: those who do not obtain personally inexpensive lifelong medical-attention live shorter lifespans than those who do ...

It's fascinating watching so many US fanatics seem to be almost salivating at the thought of a civil war as if it won't result in millions dead and the country in shambles.

The sheer amount of firepower available in the US to both civilians and the government make mass casualties a certainty and it's not going to be the march to victory those calling for civil war imagine it will be. It'll be bloody, it'll go on for ages and I hope for all your sakes it never happens.

Civil war will also have the side effect of destroying the economy so there are no winners.
It's pure insanity.

The "civil war" everyone's talking about probably won't happen. What's more likely to happen is a right wing takeover of the government and a regime that goes after its enemies. There will be abuses of human rights. A full-on civil war would probably only happen if conservatives feared that Democrats/progressives were likely to have a solid grip on power over the next 2-3 election cycles. The riots on January 6th happened because the extreme right feared losing power. They're probably less fearful of that now, and the real war is being waged in legislatures and other local and state elected offices, as right wing governments tinker with elections systems to ensure that they win elections from now on.

The richest, most livable countries on the world are democracies, save China, which does business with democracies, or rather, we do business with it, which is perhaps something we should reconsider in the future.

Back
Top Bottom