• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Roma repatriation

This bit sorts of explains from both sides what the problem is - whose definition of "improve yourself" is the most important? We are trying to fit them into a mould that does not match their lifestyle and history. Their "rule book" is different from ours - the communists tried making them live in static homes and made them live a lfestyle that they didn't want.

Yes they did, and that was for security reasons. The Romani "rule book" is very different on most levels.

Of course there are criminals among them - however some of the rules and standards we made for our lifestyle puts them in a position where they are automatically criminals. I do have to disagree about the ease of getting bank accounts, jobs and benefits when you don;t have a house - usually you'd have a guarantor elsewhere whereas gypsies would all live a nomadic lifestyle.

What rules are you talking about that makes them automatically criminals? It is not our job to fit our laws and rules around them. They have to conform to the law of the land in the country they are in. This goes for anyone, citizen or not, that reside or just are travelling through a country.

I also agree there are huge problems with mess and dirt when they move on from the temporary sites they stay at - it can be awful and cause a lot of trouble. Some of them also squat in empty property and cause problems - but so do non-nomadic people - if you'd had ordinary squatters n your property, you'd have had the same problems.

And that is what they are... ordinary squatters, and what do we do with them? Evict them and arrest them.

Well the BBC seems to find it relevent. They were victims of hatred then and that resulted in their mass slaughter and it seems they are the same now.

So what, Communists and Jews were also victims of the holocaust, that does not give a free pass to those who colonize West-Bank or to Kim Jong-Il.

I could not hear what the people were saying but it just sounds like one of those usual things. There is a hated group. A reason is found to justify this hatred.

The people in the documentaries I saw in the UK were not rich.

Is your hatred towards them just because one of them has a Ferrari and you do not?

First, I have absolutely no hatred towards them. Maybe some prejudice, but nothing more.

Did you watch the video? If you don't believe me, watch again and count the cars, then explain me how nomad people who do not have stable jobs could possibly pay for such cars.

be they of Belguim citizenship or not. So the OP was about 750 people illegally squatting on private property was it? When I was in my 20's I squatted a flat in London. Not only did I not get deported, I didn't even get arrested.

It took them one month to figure out that they should ask the owner of the fields first. Imagine that you own a field, and one morning when you wake up you see 250 caravans on it! Is that going to make you love them?

I'm not saying there should be a special treatment towards them, I'm just saying we should apply our laws to them, just like we apply them to everyone. If you don't work and drive a porsche, it's suspect. If you squat a private property, it's illegal.

Last edited:
So what, Communists and Jews were also victims of the holocaust, that does not give a free pass to those who colonize West-Bank or to Kim Jong-Il.

It gave Jews the right to Israel. Communists are in no danger.

Bub, from the little bit of research I have now done, the situation in different countries may be different. For example in the UK as well as Roma we have our own historical travelling people from Ireland and Scotland. How we deal with this may vary from country to country but what seems to be endemic is an unrealistic or possibly uneducated dislike of them.

You remember I said my mother told me there were no gypsies any more. Well apparently that was one of the beliefs here. It appears that in the UK the situation of travellers has been extremely ignored, partly caused by their history being only oral. Because of this we had the concept of the 'romantic gypsy' the one I heard of as a child and wanted to become and then all the stereotypes which came from people not fitting into this romantic stereotype.

Here is a few notes I have taken
Yet, the stereotypes governing how 'true' Gypsies were meant to behave remained fossilised in tightly-bound and largely artificially-constructed norms stemming from the late-nineteenth century. Given the growing lack of personal contact between majority society and Travellers, and the fact that they no longer conformed to 'romanticised' stereotypes of Gypsies (who might have a right to travel), Travellers were seen as having no right to a nomadic lifestyle. Rather, they were (and are) depicted as social failures, who had a duty to settle down and become integrated.

-ship

So, in contrast to Germany in the first four decades of the twentieth century, the British state specifically did not collect information on Travellers as a group - during the wars, for example, they were issued with the same type of ration cards as travelling salesmen, and no records were kept of their enlistment into the armed forces.

-snip

It is also crucial to disentangle the rhetoric and practice of different levels of the state. Crudely we can argue that the further from 'the ground' the level of the state (European Union, central government), the less negative the attitude towards Travellers and the less likely the body is to promote negative policies. Conversely, the closer to the ground - most typically parish and district councils - the more prejudiced and anti-Traveller the body is likely to be. This suggests that, structurally at least, central government was (and remains) well-placed to resist repressive measures towards Travellers. Yet, this position has been consistently undermined by two factors.

-snip

Layered on to this was the near universal personal prejudice of the civil servants themselves, for as one confessed: 'I have the normal Englishman's dislike of the Gypsy'

-snip

that is meaning that no Travellers were able to stop outside of the official sites. Where official sites were given permission, then almost without exception they were located in the most marginalised and stigmatised spaces available - next to motorways, sewage works, land fill sites - far from residential areas. All of these factors were signals of the unwillingness of councils to expend resources on people who they perceived (and often continue to perceive) to be 'non-citizens'.

Stereotypes and the state: Britain's travellers past and present, by Becky Taylor</p>

We have made some progress since then see 'causes of hope' at the end of the article. but we still have a long way to go and the biggest problem appears to be ingrained prejudice.

First, I have absolutely no hatred towards them. Maybe some prejudice, but nothing more.

I believe you but prejudice is not looking at the situation in a balnced way. It is prejudiced. If someone like yourself is prejudiced, then it concerns me what other people will be like in their prejudice. When a society gets together in it's prejudice against a particular group, it tends to end in unpleasant things and while I would not expect you to be involved in that, nonetheless it is reality.

Did you watch the video? If you don't believe me, watch again and count the cars, then explain me how nomad people who do not have stable jobs could possibly pay for such cars.
I watched the video but, sorry Paris, being a brit I do not speak french so could not understand it. I know nothing about cars and they just looked like cars and vans to me.

I cannot speak about one isolated occurrence which I know nothing about. What I would say is that the high life is not the general life of travelling people. I believe that whatever is on that video is an isolated occurrence, or wrongly depicted, to try and promote prejudice.

It took them one month to figure out that they should ask the owner of the fields first. Imagine that you own a field, and one morning when you wake up you see 250 caravans on it! Is that going to make you love them?

Of course not. That is why I believe all countries need to provide adequate decent camping facilities. Look at the end of my quote at how we in the UK, when we were providing camp sites, provided them in the most disgusting environments.

I'm not saying there should be a special treatment towards them, I'm just saying we should apply our laws to them, just like we apply them to everyone. If you don't work and drive a porsche, it's suspect. If you squat a private property, it's illegal.

Well I have no reason to believe that gypsies are not subject to the same laws as everyone else in the UK. Interestingly in England it certainly used to be legal to squat - I don't know if this has changed - though having said that camping on people's fields would probably get into trouble with the no tresspass laws.

What I am saying though Bub is that you are taking one situation and making it into a stereotype. Possibly unlike ourselves you have no gypsies who are citizens. If you do have gypsies who are citizens then it makes sense to start addressing their needs rather than building up more stereotypes and prejudice in the general population.

In this country the ethnic status of Roma and Irish gypsies, but not Scottish ones, has been legally accepted, that is a step in the right direction. Central funding has also been given to local authorities to provide decent sites for them, that also is a step in the right direction. We still have further to go.

Read the article I provided. It illustrates that by not having a history, by any understanding of gypsies just being written by amateurs and usually romantic amateurs we have little understanding of their history. When they have not lived up to the romantic descriptions, equally unrealistic negative stereotypes and prejudice have taken their place.

Last edited:
Yes they did, and that was for security reasons. The Romani "rule book" is very different on most levels.

I'm not sure what you mean there - the Roma wanted (yes they did?) or the communists forced them into housing (yes they did?)

-- What rules are you talking about that makes them automatically criminals? It is not our job to fit our laws and rules around them. They have to conform to the law of the land in the country they are in. This goes for anyone, citizen or not, that reside or just are travelling through a country.

If you have no permanent address, it was difficult to get a job / claim benefits / pay taxes etc. I covered this earlier with Republic of Public.

-- And that is what they are... ordinary squatters, and what do we do with them? Evict them and arrest them.

If illegally "squatting" yes.

EU may take legal action against France over Roma
The EU Justice Commissioner, Viviane Reding, says the European Commission is considering legal action against France over its deportations of Roma (Gypsies).

--snip--

France denies that the expulsions target an ethnic group, saying they are done on a case-by-case basis.

--snip--

This week the French press published a leaked French official memo suggesting the Roma had been specifically targeted by the authorities.

The memo contradicted assurances to EU officials from Mr Besson and Mr Lellouche that immigrants were being treated on a case-by-case basis.

The order, dated 5 August, was sent from the interior ministry to regional police chiefs.

"Three hundred camps or illegal settlements must be cleared within three months, Roma camps are a priority," it said.

Mr Besson told France 2 television on Monday that he was "not aware of this circular".

Last week the European Parliament urged the French government to halt the deportations - a call rejected by Paris. BBC News

This leaked circular may just end the whole shabby affair. I hope the EU take the same strong action they threatened the Czech Republic with and what was actually taken against Bulgaria over Bulgarian crime gangs.

....the biggest problem appears to be ingrained prejudice.

Scratching an itch is being prejudiced against the irritation:

Doctors told to give priority to gypsies - Telegraph

Anger as judge awards 'illegal' travellers' camp its own postcode... despite opposition from local council and residents | Mail Online

Coventry Telegraph - News - Coventry News - Fury over 'travellers' illegal site work' near Kenilworth

Those Public SWINES, riddled with prejudice they are: Leeds: Public meeting looks at problem of illegal traveller camps - Yorkshire Evening Post

Just like with the Jews in Nazi Germany, eh? Bristol City Council will have new powers on travellers' illegal sites | Bristol News

Noooooooooo! Selby MP Nigel Adams backs blitz on illegal travellers

Not the Tories as well.... Tories to crack down on illegal travellers' and squatter sites | News

It is not racist to state that gypsy camps frequently cause an increase in crime and mess - it is a statement of fact | Mail Online

Rome pickpockets and street crime - by Romebuddy.com

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/03/29/2858403.htm

http://www.digitaltoast.co.uk/romanian-gypsy-lying-thieving-child-crimewave

Still, can't ban 'em, else you'll be punished for 'waycism':

http://www.altermedia.info/civil-rights/gypsy-mafia-in-the-uk-the-government-is-blind_1317.html

The same EU which wants to punish France for helping itself allowed the freedom of movement which has caused gipsy crimewaves!!

But here's one for you to agree with: Racist policy was used to bar Gypsies from Britain - Crime, UK - The Independent

There's moaning that the 'waysist' New Labour Government STOPPED immigrants fleeing persecution coming in.

Well, be that so, maybe the new Government can swap ten of our bad Romanians for one of their good ones!

Last edited:
This leaked circular may just end the whole shabby affair. I hope the EU take the same strong action they threatened the Czech Republic with and what was actually taken against Bulgaria over Bulgarian crime gangs.

Yes, I saw this on the news tonight including the EU rep saying she had never thought Europe would see this kind of thig again. I also saw many French were on the streets protesting against this treatment of the Roma.

an old guardian article

The plan Sarkozy announced is of dubious legality, both under French and international law, which protect the right to housing, the right to free movement and the right to be free from discrimination.

Why are Travellers in France living in illegal settlements? One reason is that France's government has failed to respect its own law, the so-called Besson law from 2000, which requires the state to build adequate accommodation for Travellers. In response to a complaint brought by my organisation – the European Roma Rights Centre – in 2009 the Council of Europe's committee of social rights found that France had failed to meet its international obligations by not creating a sufficient number of halting sites for Travellers, by providing sites that were dangerous and unsanitary, and by evicting Travellers from unauthorised sites in a manner that subjected them to "unjustified violence".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/libertycentral/2010/aug/03/scapegoating-roma-problem-europe

Living up to obligations towards them seem to be the problem most countries have found. Our own travelling community will find itself minus £30,000,000 which it had been promised would be allocated for sites this year.

Last edited:
France let them in, now they're upside down over it, trying to sort things out.

Europe threatened legal action against France on Tuesday over its crackdown on Roma minorities, drawing a parallel between their treatment and World War II-era deportations.

The European Union's top justice official, Viviane Reding, angrily rebuked the French government for sending hundreds of Roma migrants back to Romania and Bulgaria since August in a security sweep ordered by President Nicolas Sarkozy.

Reding said she was "appalled by a situation which gave the impression that people are being removed from a member state of the European Union just because they belong to a certain ethnic minority.

"This is a situation I had thought Europe would not have to witness again after the Second World War," she underlined, warning of looming infringement proceedings by the European Commission.

AFP: EU threatens France with legal action over Roma 'disgrace'

Wow, France just got a dressing down.

Europe threatened legal action against France on Tuesday over its crackdown on Roma minorities, drawing a parallel between their treatment and World War II-era deportations.

Romania will starve or gas them in secret camps? Their own citizens?

Looks as if the EU's firing its guns in the wrong direction! Again.

...gave the impression...

If something looks like it's happening for a handpicked reason then that's proof enough that it is for the Eurojackers! I know they live in a cut-off, ivory-tower world, but blimey!

The fact France is deporting serious criminals back home is neither here nor there. They're innocents on their way to the gas ovens and that's good enough for sensitive little Vivvy-wivvy-woo-woo!

Last edited:
Romania will starve or gas them in secret camps? Their own citizens?

Looks as if the EU's firing its guns in the wrong direction! Again.

You clearly know nothing about the murder of the Roma during the Holocaust, something which it appears unlike others affected, has not yet been resolved.

You know doubt should organise for yourself to move to Hungary I am sure you would feel at home there.

Far-right party calls for camps for Hungary's Roma - The Irish Times - Fri, Sep 03, 2010

or Bulvaria

Plight of the Roma Muslims in Bulgaria

If something looks like it's happening for a handpicked reason then that's proof enough that it is for the Eurojackers! I know they live in a cut-off, ivory-tower world, but blimey!

The fact France is deporting serious criminals back home is neither here nor there. They're innocents on their way to the gas ovens and that's good enough for sensitive little Vivvy-wivvy-woo-woo!

Your mocking what happened to the Roma in WW2 is sick. No doubt needed as you see a possibility of your agenda not coming to fruition.

Your mocking what happened to the Roma in WW2 is sick.

Once again an insult and smear. It's just over-emotional babyishness, it really is.

I'm not mocking what happened to the Roma during the war, as well I think you know. I'm mocking the EU's ridiculous comparison to France's decision to deport dangerous criminals.

Once again an insult and smear. It's just over-emotional babyishness, it really is.

I'm not mocking what happened to the Roma during the war, as well I think you know. I'm mocking the EU's ridiculous comparison to France's decision to deport dangerous criminals.

The EU is correct to see the comparisons as you ought to have been able to see from the link I gave you. My comments were appropriate to your stance. While they might have been insults to someone who believes differently, to you they were accurate.

The problem stems from your erroneous and racist view
France's decision to deport dangerous criminals.

France has decided to flatten Roma camps and deport them, having managed to delude you into believing they are 'dangerous criminals'. Completely untrue. If anyone has committed a crime then they would be arrested and brought to court.

The 1930's saw the same with Roma, Sinti and Jews having stereotypes put on them, just like you did above and being deported. That was how it began, then there were camps, medical experiments and extermination.

In most European countries today the vast majority of people remain totally unaware of the National Socialist genocide of the Roma and Sinti minority which claimed some 500,000 victims during the Second World War. As a consequence of the failure to overcome this ignorance the racist clichés and stereotypes about the Roma and Sinti, which were heavily influenced by Nazi propaganda, persist until the present day. These prejudices, passed down the generations, are among the main reasons for the perpetual wave of racially motivated crimes of violence which are still being committed against the Roma and Sinti in Europe today. Roma and Sinti suffer discrimination and prejudice in all social strata: a disadvantaged minority numbering some 10 million.

Against this backdrop, the exhibition seeks to impart a greater appreciation of the past in an attempt to help dissolve current situations of conflict. In focussing on the Holocaust against the Roma and Sinti and its European dimension, the main aim is to expose a crime against humanity which to this day eludes all historical comparison and remains unimaginable in its enormity. Like the Jews, the Roma and Sinti were rounded up, disenfranchised, ghettoised and finally deported to the extermination camps, all in the name of National Socialist racial ideology. With no respect for persons and individuals, National Socialism subjected infants and the elderly alike to the same de-humanising treatment. The National Socialists denied these people the right to exist, collectively and definitively, merely because they had been born Sinti, Roma or Jews.

-snip

The third major area documents the systematic homicide of Sinti and Roma from virtually every European country in the Auschwitz-Birkenau extermination camp.

Finally, the fourth part of the exhibition picks out the main developments since 1945 in Europe, turning the spotlight on the public avoidance to confront and acknowledge the Nazi genocide against the Roma and Sinti and on the emergence of the civil rights movement in the Federal Republic. One particular emphasis is on current forms of discrimination against the national Roma and Sinti minorities in Central and Eastern Europe. Using selected examples, the exhibition demonstrates that Roma and Sinti are increasingly subject to open and violent racism and continued social prejudice.

European Commission - Events

he Elysee Palace explained that the Roma camps were "sources of illegal trafficking, profoundly shocking living standards, the exploitation of children for begging, prostitution and crime."

Another topic on this board also reported Sarkozy's wish to deport foreign cop-killers and the like.

That seems to be in dispute then. A way to settle this would be for Sarkozy to take the EU to court and present the evidence if the organisation wants to go trying to over-rule the elected President. And if Sarky's a liar then the EU will present the counter-skipful it no doubt has, which we don't see any evidence of because the EU's court threat is based purely on an alleged point of legislation.

..racist..

Yawn. And it isn't the first time you've used the word sick. I know it's not usually me who plays up to being offended, but I may as well if I see it in others.

My comments were appropriate to your stance.

Insofar as a group of people are being moved, yes. But if the EU can provide evidence that the people, on the whole, are innocents to be shipped off to Romania's gas chambers then I'd be quite interested to see that. Otherwise the comparison is mostly superfluous

Last edited:
Another topic on this board also reported Sarkozy's wish to deport foreign cop-killers and the like.

They are not the same thing...my goodness what pain killers are you taking that you have been having nightmares that all Roma are 'cop killers'?

It does however go well with your continuous stigmatising and stereotyping of people. In this case, any 'people' you believe you can stigmatise as being somewhat less than human in order to act in a way which would not be an acceptable way to treat others. By dehumanising them, you, in your own mind allow this.

That seems to be in dispute then. A way to settle this would be for Sarkozy to take the EU to court and present the evidence if the organisation wants to go trying to over-rule the elected President. And if Sarky's a liar then the EU will present the counter-skipful it no doubt has, which we don't see any evidence of because the EU's court threat is based purely on an alleged point of legislation.

You have not been reading the thread. France has not lived up to it's own laws, the creation of the problem, and it looks like it is the European Court which will be taking France to court.

Your continual racist posts are indeed boring.

And it isn't the first time you've used the word sick. I know it's not usually me who plays up to being offended, but I may as well if I see it in others.
:shock: You play offended more than anyone this forum! Even months later you try to drag up some perceived insult, interrupting threads and taking them off topic in your desire to get as you see it your 'own back'.

Yes, I have twice described your attitude as 'sick'. When an attitude lacks humanity I believe it is sick.

conversation over.

I am sorrowful that such actions are being taken against the Roma, but it appears that Sarkozy is trying to create an artficial surge of nationalism and patriotism through alienating foreigners within France. First he attacked the Islamic population and their practices, and now wholesale deporting the Roma peoples. This is a slightly scary trend being undertaken, I think.

You have not been reading the thread.

Maybe a clarification is needed then. Is Sarky deporting the whole lot or just the ones badly behaved or at least allowing it (of whom we know there are too many and have had personal experience of).

And even then, complaining about the baddies is 'dehumanising', so we're supposed to just shut up about it. As indeed the liberal police chief told this victim of hoodie thugs:

http://louisesnews.wordpress.com/2007/09/01/dont-call-louts-hoodie-scum-couple-told/

Plus there's still no proof that there would be death camps waiting for them. Rotten communist-era housing at worst, though other Romanians get by with it.

Either way there are still plenty who would condemn the action as inhuman anyway, even in the case of cop killers. So it looks as if we may agree to disagree.

Yes, I have twice described your attitude as 'sick'.
Your continual racist posts are indeed boring.

If I do play the victim more than others, as is claimed, then there's plenty of derogitory fodder. And what's more, unlike others on this board, I don't go round reporting people on that flimsy pretext, especially after said persons have spent months invalidating me and trying to win me round before hitting the 'nuclear' button. (And before you may say it, I don't think you did any of that!)

And as this is a politics board, I react in a political way. Just the way it is I s'pose.

conversation over.

Good. We've said our bits.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom