• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Loft

Status
Not open for further replies.
I already raised this issue, and I got my head bitten off. The Loft is here to stay.

My suggestion is that if a topic is interesting to you, re-create it outside of the Loft so that everyone can participate. Even quote someone from a Loft discussion (since we can read it but can't post there) and then continue the chain outside the Loft. The mods can't merge threads if one of the topics is taking place in the loft. That wouldn't be fair to those who don't/can't donate.

I'm going to say this, clearly. You need to stop.

The Loft is not a subscription-only venue like the basement is. You can make the basement disappear from your forum selection if you want by unsubscribing from the area. No such ability exists with the Loft. The mods want it visible because it provides an incentive for people to donate. In other words, I have no choice but to see it. Since that's the case, the mods are basically consenting for me to have visible access to the area (even though I can't post), and to see posts in it under "new posts". Because of this, there is no reason why I can't quote someone from the Loft and make my own thread on the topic outside of it.

The Loft is a good idea, but the mods can't have their cake and eat it too. They can't force me to see it but not let me post to it, and then say I can't quote from it. :shrug:

The owner of this site can do and make whatever rules he wants and if a rule is not being able to quote from there? We will all have to deal with it.

If they wish for The Loft to attract folks to donate? Someone needs to step it up as all I see are the same topics being tossed around and high brow? Give me a break just "that" will make folks pass on it. I don't do snobby, most folks dont and if I something would make me dig out some money? Using the term high brow is not it. Of course maybe that is not what they want there so whatever. lol.

Anyways: the owner of this site can allow you to read what is going down and have rules about your not talking about it in other places. His site= His Rules. He can pretty much do whatever the hell he wants and that is cool.

The owner of this site can do and make whatever rules he wants and if a rule is not being able to quote from there? We will all have to deal with it.

If they wish for The Loft to attract folks to donate? Someone needs to step it up as all I see are the same topics being tossed around and high brow? Give me a break just "that" will make folks pass on it. I don't do snobby, most folks dont and if I something would make me dig out some money? Using the term high brow is not it. Of course maybe that is not what they want there so whatever. lol.

Anyways: the owner of this site can allow you to read what is going down and have rules about your not talking about it in other places. His site= His Rules. He can pretty much do whatever the hell he wants and that is cool.

It's not really about snobby, Kali. It's more about increased civility and eliminating some of the typical comments that derail threads, bait, and cause topics to become quite uninteresting. Some people enjoy the intensity and aggression of some of the threads that we see upstairs. Some do not.

Last edited:
Capt. May I suggest term highbrow be removed? Just a suggestion

I "get" it but feel making the folks feel exlcuded rather than included is not the way to go and using terms like highbrow is not the way to go. This is just my opinion

BTW, I still want to know how the "Golden" children of the beta-testing and the Loft got hand picked.

Maybe you can explain why you all showed favortism when it came to that.

To me, the loft presents discussions with a MUCH higher signal to noise ratio. Well worth a donation to participate, even though I was a beta tester and so a member for life.. But you know what? I have donated twice so far, Platinum and Gold, and I will continue to do so. Any help I can give vauge to keep the site up is help I am willing to give.

BTW, I still want to know how the "Golden" children of the beta-testing and the Loft got hand picked.

Kali, the only reason for you to have not been chosen would have been that you weren't very active when they were choosing them, whereas you get someone like me with no life, and I'm on too much.

I don't understand. I thought this was resolved on the previous page.. by not only Your Star, but Redress and CC both.

Nobody was "golden" so to speak. Several people were mentioned and then a few selected for their political leanings and frequency to which they post here.

It had not a thing to do with popularity or someone being 'golden', whatever that means.

I think we did explain it. Diverse politically, consistently civil, frequent, if not daily posters. And only a few members.

I don't understand. I thought this was resolved on the previous page.. by not only Your Star, but Redress and CC both.

Nobody was "golden" so to speak. Several people were mentioned and then a few selected for their political leanings and frequency to which they post here.

It had not a thing to do with popularity or someone being 'golden', whatever that means.

Right......... Sure it is resolved and no favoritism was ever involved. I call B.S. but sure it is resolved unless you have a problem with me?

Stop what?

Am I breaking a rule by pointing out a posting method???

There is no rule that you broke. My post was not in a mod box. I am saying that you need to stop what you are doing. That's all.

I already raised this issue, and I got my head bitten off. The Loft is here to stay.

Dood, just stop. TED didn't wage a "do not donate to dp" campaign and then had the hubris to demand vague make changes for people like you who state they "do not donate" because of issues you have with the place you get much use out of.

You can see how he is/will be recieved better than you. Trying to lump your actions with his suggestion/feedback is dishonest at best.

Right......... Sure it is resolved and no favoritism was ever involved. I call B.S. but sure it is resolved unless you have a problem with me?

:confused: I have no problem with you at all. I was trying to clarify for you.

My suggestion is that if a topic is interesting to you, re-create it outside of the Loft so that everyone can participate. Even quote someone from a Loft discussion (since we can read it but can't post there) and then continue the chain outside the Loft. The mods can't merge threads if one of the topics is taking place in the loft. That wouldn't be fair to those who don't/can't donate.

I appreciate the suggestion, but my issue isn't so much that there's a discussion going on up there that isn't going on elsewhere, it's just that it's a little irritating to stumble across such a discussion up there and not realize until I try to reply that I can't reply.

In other words, it's about the interface, not about the content.

That's why I'm asking either for a way to filter it out of my New Posts search or for the reply buttons to be removed for those who don't have posting access.

Listen, guys, while I'm sure that the beta-testing issue is interesting for some of you, it's not the subject of the thread.

There's nothing wrong with talking about it, but could you start your own thread to do so? This one has basically become half a dozen relevant posts and like 4 pages of theorizing about beta-testers.

Kind of ironic, seeing as how some of the off-topic chatter has been about the signal-noise ratio in The Loft. :lol:

There is no rule that you broke. My post was not in a mod box. I am saying that you need to stop what you are doing. That's all.

What exactly do you think he needs to stop doing and if it is not against the rules why does he "need" to stop?

Someone needs to step it up as all I see are the same topics being tossed around and high brow?

Well, I think the idea is that it is not adversarial. In other words it is like when people talk about a presidential forum as opposed to a presidential debate. The idea is not about winning. Were it not for the requirement for an active donation effectively making it a paid subscription service I would be willing to consider posting there. Of course, I wouldn't be able to post there right now either way since I definitely do not have enough to spare for a Gold or Platinum donation, whichever is currently required.

That's why I'm asking either for a way to filter it out of my New Posts search or for the reply buttons to be removed for those who don't have posting access.

Yes I know... but it's not going to happen, which is why I offered alternative suggestions. Like I said, I already asked for a way to filter the loft threads out of "new posts" and the solution I was provided with was a link to log out of DP.

You can view that thread here: http://www.debatepolitics.com/feedback-suggestions/85903-new-post-filter.html

Last edited:
Dood, just stop. TED didn't wage a "do not donate to dp" campaign and then had the hubris to demand vague make changes for people like you who state they "do not donate" because of issues you have with the place you get much use out of.

If you want to keep hijacking every thread I post to with comments like this, then be prepared for me to respond. Mods, learn well... this kind of comment is how it starts.

TED may have a different context for the problem he has but we still have the same issue. The reply button should be removed and/or a new post filter should be implemented so that non-donors don't see loft threads. However, the loft is meant to generate revenue by being visible, which is why I offered my alternative suggestion. If something is being discussed in the loft that you feel you want to give input on, then quote someone there and create a new thread outside of the loft.

If you see that suggestion as me trying to sew dissension or something, then that's your own problem, not mine. I was just offering TED helpful advice.

That was a solution you must admit.

Not a very helpful one. The coding ability exists to preclude the loft from "new posts". We can't see basement posts in the same manner so it should be transferrable.

Yes I know... but it's not going to happen, which is why I offered alternative suggestions. Like I said, I already asked for a way to filter the loft threads out of "new posts" and the solution I was provided with was a link to log out of DP.

You can view that thread here: http://www.debatepolitics.com/feedback-suggestions/85903-new-post-filter.html

Okay.

So, you started a similar thread in which Rule 4 violations were many and varied due to your recent history with the staff. I start a thread of my own (I didn't see yours), and you think it's appropriate to take this opportunity to try to score some more points, rather than sitting back and seeing if I get a better result than you did?

Great. Thank you for your help.

I'm not saying I don't sympathize with you. I've had my share of experience on forums where the community standards amounted to a cult of personality, so I know what it's like to be in the position you think you're in now.

You need to decide whether you're more interested in being right, or getting what you want.

Moderator's Warning:
Let's keep this to the suggestion made, not who is right about what, who thought of it first or any other derail. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom