• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Loft

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, you started a similar thread in which Rule 4 violations were many and varied due to your recent history with the staff. I start a thread of my own (I didn't see yours), and you think it's appropriate to take this opportunity to try to score some more points, rather than sitting back and seeing if I get a better result than you did?

It's not about scoring points. I didn't start the other thread to create a stink. I had a genuine issue like you did, but because the mods have an attachment to the history, yes, they reacted harshly. However, I am not using your thread as personal ammo. I just showed up to give you a suggestion. If your feedback works even though mine didn't, I think that would be great and I am supportive of you, but not because I want to stick it to the man or something.

I'm not saying I don't sympathize with you. I've had my share of experience on forums where the community standards amounted to a cult of personality, so I know what it's like to be in the position you think you're in now.

I just continue posting as I usually do. How people choose to receive what I say is their responsibility. :shrug:

You need to decide whether you're more interested in being right, or getting what you want.

Neither of those things is my motivation for posting at DP. I primarily come here to learn from what others have to say. Secondarily to that, I am interested in this community being healthy and prospering, but in a fair way; however, I have no specific attachment to that happening. There is no agenda. I post on a case-by-case basis, and, unlike some others, I do not bring past issues into new threads.

I recommend you PM me if you wish to continue this discussion. I don't want to derail this thread further.

Moderator's Warning:
Never mind now

Last edited:
That was a solution you must admit.

Actually, it really wasn't. Logging out would leave Orion unable to respond to any threads at all or even see the "New Posts" section. The specific issue raised by Orion and TED would not in any way be addressed by that.

Alright, let me see what I can clarify. Jeesh, gone for a day and all hell breaks loose.

In regards to Beta Testers. We realized we needed to get a grasp for how the forum would run before we could make any real decision on if it was going to be viable or not. To do that we needed posters. However, if we just let everyone in then that would in no way be an easily controlled situation to monitor nor would it go over well if, 2 weeks later, we decided it wasn't going to work and just pulled it. As such, we decided to get a group of beta testers. We did this by having the Mods throw out a few names and from them picking the ones we felt would be best up to the number of individuals we wanted to keep it manageable.

What we were looking for was multi-fold. In part, we wanted a decent range of political identities. Conservatives, Libertarians, Liberals, Moderates leaning both ways, etc. We also wanted people who were not frequent rules violators upstairs. We also looked at individuals who had expressed issues with some of the conversation levels on the forum recently. Finally, those we thought could give positive, helpful criticism if needed while keeping the information undisclosed during the time. We were only looking for between 12 to 15 people, as anything more than that would've been too difficult.

There were a great many people who very much could've been picked and weren't simply because of the limit. This was not a "best of" list, it was not an "elitist" list, it was not a "favorites" list. The nature of a maximum number means some people are going to be left out. While we don't want any poster to feel like they are viewed as a "lesser" poster, ultimately the fact people may mistakenly think that was not worth passing up the opportunity to launch this new feature.

In regards to their ability to post despite donating. As a thanks to their help, of which they did not have to give, we decided to give them permanent access to The Loft. Even if we had not there was still consideration to give them access at least until the end of the tiered roll out to allow for their conversations to continue and to maintain the slow increase of numbers for testing purposes. However, I would note that more than half the Beta Testers have at least a silver donation with many that don't currently being past donors.

In regards to the issues about new posts, etc. As was stated in the other thread, this is at the moment not something that we plan on enacting. The only section on the site at this moment that has that ability is the basement. This is in part due to the fact that thread titles in the basement can contain content that, when upstairs, would be violation of the rules or be items that we try to keep from appearing on peoples screens without them aware it has a chance to (such as curse words).

This concern is not present within the Loft. Additionally, while some people may feel that not posting in the Loft makes it useless, ultimately that does not change the fact there is still a possible use to people in the ability to read it. So ultimately what you're asking for is the ability to flick off a section of the forums you don't have any intention of reading. The same could be said of the Middle East section, the Abortion section, the Off Topic Section, or even The Tavern. Ultimately, at this point, the team does not feel there is a great need or benefit to the forum to begin to embark down the road of allowing people the option to fully customize what they look at aside from doing it through their own efforts of avoiding areas.

In regards to the "cool enough" or "elite" issue. Its truly neither. Right now The Loft, while open for viewing, is not "fully" launched. We are slowly rolling this out to throttle the amount of people entering and to keep an eye out for any needed tweaks. By the end of this all that will be required is a $5 6 month silver donation. Donating $5 does not indicate you're "cool" enough or an elite. Nor do we feel its too daunting that if someone TRULY wants to post there that they couldn't save up roughly $0.90 a month to do said donation. We do not believe it is unfair or uncalled for in allowing one extra forum to those whose financial contributions help allow us to keep the other 45+ free and open forums active for all of our posters.

Ultimately, the ability to read The Loft is another free feature to the site...just like community groups, blogs, and the forums at large. The ability to post will be a donation perk, much like the larger mailbox or the quick access to other areas. It is not about how "cool" or "golden" enough to post there.

In regards to the rules, as already stated, all normal Debate Politics rules apply. However, there are ADDITIONAL guidelines that are in place for The Loft, but those guidelines will not cause points to be accessed. There is no rule currently, nor has one been discussed, to disallow the copying of Loft comments to the main forum.

I hope this clarifies a bit.

Additionally, while some people may feel that not posting in the Loft makes it useless, ultimately that does not change the fact there is still a possible use to people in the ability to read it. So ultimately what you're asking for is the ability to flick off a section of the forums you don't have any intention of reading. The same could be said of the Middle East section, the Abortion section, the Off Topic Section, or even The Tavern. Ultimately, at this point, the team does not feel there is a great need or benefit to the forum to begin to embark down the road of allowing people the option to fully customize what they look at aside from doing it through their own efforts of avoiding areas.

First off, thanks for taking the time read my question. :)

Secondly, I asked for two things, the second thing being the removal of the reply buttons for individuals who are reading threads in The Loft without posting privileges. Is that possible?

As for self-editing your viewing experience, that's actually something I'd been generally wondering about for quite some time. There are a bunch of user groups on this forum that people can opt into and out of which give you access to related posting areas, and I know from experience on other forum engines that you should be able to create opt-in/-out user groups which would show/hide individual sub-forums. Even better, it shouldn't take much in the way of effort.

Why not take a poll and see if there'd be a general interest in this kind of thing? Aside from the initial set-up, it's a self-regulating mechanism that lets the user decide what they feel like seeing.

Thinking of what TED is saying with the Loft would it be possible to have just viewing the forum be something every user is automatically opted into and something they can opt out of individually?

First off, thanks for taking the time read my question. :)

Secondly, I asked for two things, the second thing being the removal of the reply buttons for individuals who are reading threads in The Loft without posting privileges. Is that possible?

As for self-editing your viewing experience, that's actually something I'd been generally wondering about for quite some time. There are a bunch of user groups on this forum that people can opt into and out of which give you access to related posting areas, and I know from experience on other forum engines that you should be able to create opt-in/-out user groups which would show/hide individual sub-forums. Even better, it shouldn't take much in the way of effort.

Why not take a poll and see if there'd be a general interest in this kind of thing? Aside from the initial set-up, it's a self-regulating mechanism that lets the user decide what they feel like seeing.

Firstly, as far as the Reply button. I'd imagine the coding would be there, but it would be very difficult to impliment, as it would be implimented on a selective basis, not a global one. If you look at the Archives sub-forum, there is no Reply button available... for anyone, including mods and adminstrators.

As far as creating opt in/out for sub-forums, as far as I know, with vBulliten, the coding is very different between the sub-forums and the social groups. I am unsure whether this would be possible, but I think Zyph explained the reasoning behind why things are being done in the way that they are.

Nost of the coding issues are vauge's department and we will direct him to view this thread.

Thinking of what TED is saying with the Loft would it be possible to have just viewing the forum be something every user is automatically opted into and something they can opt out of individually?

Don't think so. As far as I know, there is no opt in/out option for the sub-forums in vBulletin. I might be wrong about this, as vauge manages most, if not all of the coding.

Okay. I only ask because I've done exactly that on a forum that ran MyBB, but I've never run a forum with vBulletin.

No, that'd fine and a good question if you are not familiar with vBulliten. Almost sounds like you are looking for an "ignore" feature that would apply to sub-forums rather than posters. I don't know if this is possible with the coding of vBulliten.

I am sure that there is a new rule where you cannot direct quote someone from Loft threads in other forums or threads. Kinda like what stays downstairs stays..

But you could start topics that are brought up in the Loft. I mean most of the stuff seems to be things we are all already talking about anyways:)
Would you point me to this new rule?

That's why I'm asking either for a way to filter it out of my New Posts search or for the reply buttons to be removed for those who don't have posting access.
I'll see what I can do.

Firstly, as far as the Reply button. I'd imagine the coding would be there, but it would be very difficult to impliment, as it would be implimented on a selective basis, not a global one. If you look at the Archives sub-forum, there is no Reply button available... for anyone, including mods and adminstrators.

As far as creating opt in/out for sub-forums, as far as I know, with vBulliten, the coding is very different between the sub-forums and the social groups. I am unsure whether this would be possible, but I think Zyph explained the reasoning behind why things are being done in the way that they are.

Nost of the coding issues are vauge's department and we will direct him to view this thread.
The reply button display when one can't post is frustrating - I agree. I'll check to see if they have any progress on it.

Ignoring a forum is one of the crazy issues with vb4 template system, when we used vb3.8.7 this was a very simple "IF" statement. I've tried multiple times to re-create the old basement ignore without much luck. We've also had a few requests to ignore the dungeon preview.

It is a reasonable request for the Loft. I'm working on it. :)

If you don't know how the beta-testers were picked, then how can you know any favoritism was shown?

I cannot just that I suspect favoritism was used. heh:)

I think the other thing is...I don't believe Vauge WANTS that. I don't believe the desire for Debate Politics is to have a board that offers up a ton of various topics and conversations but people are able to filter it in such a way that there's entire portions of it they just never see.

When I say determining what you see on your own I am not talking about a hard coded method. I'm talking about the method that anyone whose had sections of the forum that they didn't want to read in the past 5 years have done. That method is...don't read it. Don't click on that forum, don't click on those threads, just avoid it.

The creation of the Loft hasn't made the need or use of allowing people to just make large portions of the forum vanish for themselves anymore so than it the need was prior to The Loft being present.

I won't speak for Vauge, but I would see no use for this and think it would be something that would harm rather than help DP. There are numerous people who sometimes, due to randomly seeing something that perks their interest despite normally avoiding a location, will pop into a thread somewhere you'd almost never see them. There are numerous times when people may read a thread that they may've normally skipped but for some reason it looked interesting and it gave them new insight. The community atmosphere of the forum as a whole is something that is useful. I see no reason to begin a move to start allowing people to just take a segmented look at Debate Politics from a software level, and I would be disappointed to see it go down that road.

Vauge, I have no clue if that was a rule but just figured it would be. Sorry:)

And Dan, sorry for taking your thread offtopic. I should not have done that

I think the other thing is...I don't believe Vauge WANTS that. I don't believe the desire for Debate Politics is to have a board that offers up a ton of various topics and conversations but people are able to filter it in such a way that there's entire portions of it they just never see.

When I say determining what you see on your own I am not talking about a hard coded method. I'm talking about the method that anyone whose had sections of the forum that they didn't want to read in the past 5 years have done. That method is...don't read it. Don't click on that forum, don't click on those threads, just avoid it.

Personally, I think it would be a lot like the ignore list -- it's a tool some people would use, and others would make fun of people for using.

Personally, I'd use it -- Loft or no Loft.

TED - For now, not possible. But a reasonable request.

As Zyphlin said, we all would *much* rather you check out all of the forum. We think it is amazing. Even if one can't post. :)

I'm sure you understand, and we all know how much it sucks not to be able to help.

Moderator's Warning:
Info: Thread ban earlier has been lifted. My apology to the user.

I primarily come here to learn from what others have to say.

Honest question here, Orion. If that really is what your primary reason for being here is, why would not being able to post somewhere be such an issue?

It seems to me that if someone's primary purpose for being here is to learn from what others have to say, it would require the ability to view their posts far, far more than it would require the ability to respond to their posts.

I guess I'm a little confused because there seems to be a contradictory message in your posts on this topic. On one hand, you say you want to learn from other people's statements, on the other you wish to remove your own ability to see these statements because you cannot respond to them. If it was because the information shared in the loft was not something that could be learned from, I could see it, but the information being shared there is certainly stuff where a person can learn quite a bit. I've personally learned more from the threads there I haven't posted in than I have from the one's I did post in.

Please help me understand how your desire to remove your own ability to view the loft is not detrimental towards fulfilling your stated goal regarding learning from what others have to say. Because from where I'm sitting, I can't make the two positions fit with each other.

Last edited:
Honest question here, Orion. If that really is what your primary reason for being here is, why would not being able to post somewhere be such an issue?

It seems to me that if someone's primary purpose for being here is to learn from what others have to say, it would require the ability to view their posts far, far more than it would require the ability to respond to their posts.

I guess I'm a little confused because there seems to be a contradictory message in your posts on this topic. On one hand, you say you want to learn from other people's statements, on the other you wish to remove your own ability to see these statements because you cannot respond to them. If it was because the information shared in the loft was not something that could be learned from, I could see it, but the information being shared there is certainly stuff where a person can learn quite a bit. I've personally learned more from the threads there I haven't posted in than I have from the one's I did post in.

Please help me understand how your desire to remove your own ability to view the loft is not detrimental towards fulfilling your stated goal regarding learning from what others have to say. Because from where I'm sitting, I can't make the two positions fit with each other.

More specifically, I learn from interacting with what others have to say. I don't have an agenda.

I also agree with TED in his general comment that it would be nice to be able to customize a filter in general, loft or no loft. Some sections I have never posted to or read, like the sports section.

More specifically, I learn from interacting with what others have to say. I don't have an agenda.

I also agree with TED in his general comment that it would be nice to be able to customize a filter in general, loft or no loft. Some sections I have never posted to or read, like the sports section.

I've never understood why posters have a problem viewing things they have no interest in. Don't have an interest? Don't open the link. It's unfair, in my opinion, to expect a free board to jump through hoops so that posters don't have to see what they're not interested in. I don't know firsthand, but I assume that making format changes is no small amount of work.

When I log on, I'm clicking on New Posts to see what's out there. What advantage is there to not seeing Sports posts, as an example? It's one of dozens. Or maybe I should say, "How inconvenient is it for you to simply ignore those posts that don't interest you?" Or, as is the subject of the OP, to ignore those forums (1) you aren't able to post in?

Interesting. Does that mean that if you read something without interacting with the person delivering the message, you don't learn from it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom