Man this sucks. All the legends are dying off fast. RIP Muhammad Ali.
given all the punishment he took plus the parkinson's he made it pretty far. I read someplace that he was the most recognized man in history-more people could ID his face around the world than Jesus,Mao, etc.
howard cosell made a career out of this man1. "Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee. His hands can't hit what his eyes can't see. Now you see me, now you don't. George thinks he will, but I know he won't.
2. "Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth."
3. "I'm young; I'm handsome; I'm fast. I can't possibly be beat."
4. "Don’t count the days; make the days count."
5. “If my mind can conceive it, and my heart can believe it—then I can achieve it."
6. “It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am."
7. “It isn’t the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out; it’s the pebble in your shoe.”
8. “If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.”
9. “Braggin' is when a person says something and can’t do it. I do what I say.”
10. "I am the greatest, I said that even before I knew I was."
11. "Only a man who knows what it is like to be defeated can reach down to the bottom of his soul and come up with the extra ounce of power it takes to win when the match is even."
12. "I'm so mean, I make medicine sick."
13. "I should be a postage stamp. That's the only way I'll ever get licked."
14. “Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they’ve been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It’s an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It’s a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.”
15. “He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life.”
16. "A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
17. “If they can make penicillin out of moldy bread, they can sure make something out of you.”
18. "I shook up the world. Me! Whee!"
19. “I hated every minute of training, but I said, ‘Don’t quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.'”
20. “At home I am a nice guy: but I don’t want the world to know. Humble people, I’ve found, don’t get very far.”
21. "A man who has no imagination has no wings."
22. "He’s (Sonny Liston) too ugly to be the world champ. The world champ should be pretty like me!"
23. "I am the astronaut of boxing. Joe Louis and Dempsey were just jet pilots. I'm in a world of my own."
24. “I’ve wrestled with alligators. I’ve tussled with a whale. I done handcuffed lightning. And throw thunder in jail.”
25. "Hating people because of their color is wrong. And it doesn't matter which color does the hating. It's just plain wrong."
26. “It’s not bragging if you can back it up.”
27. "I'm the most recognized and loved man that ever lived cuz there weren't no satellites when Jesus and Moses were around, so people far away in the villages didn't know about them."
28. "It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up."
29. “I’m not the greatest, I’m the double greatest.”
30. “Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right.”
He did a lot of good works here in the Phoenix area, and he was a good man, and role model.
I've already seen the hate over on FR, I can only imagine what the Breitbart trolls are saying.
Screw them, Ali was a true HERO and a damned fine person, the world is less without him.
Well, thus far, the only one whose made this about politics is you.
A night in Baltimore. Room 428 of a hotel. A man in the hallway bangs his fist against the room door. The man is Cosell and he is shouting. From inside the room comes a raspy voice.
Cosell beats on the door again. "Ali, it's me, Howard."
"Ain't Cosell. Tryin' to sleep."
Then comes a sentence of percussive consonants and melodramatic phrasing. "I'm warning you, nigger, you open this door, and open it now, or I will destroy it and tear you to ribbons."
The door flies open, Ali out of bed, laughing. "Cosell, get your white ass in here."
Only the inimitable, irascible Cosell could have roused Ali from bed that way. Only the inimitable, sweet-hearted Ali would answer those slurs smiling. Across a generation of tumult, they were friends, partners, and co-conspirators in an improbable dialectic that charmed and bedeviled us. One was Beauty, one was the Beast, and we never quite knew which was which.
Ali was the best heavyweight of all time. No doubt. What made him even more special was that he fought in an era where at any given time there were 10-15 boxers that could win the title. There were very few 1 and done's in that era.