• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Conservative Media Echo Chamber Is Making the Right Intellectually Deaf[W:163]

Re: The Conservative Media Echo Chamber Is Making the Right Intellectually Deaf

Sure, but if thats what the people want, thats what they get.

That isn't what I said. What the MSM wants is what the people are getting--the ideological comfort and advantage for those mostly on the left is what the people are getting. Honest objective reporting is a rare commodity these days.

I don't have time to go into it here, but I know of what I speak. In the Bill Clinton impeachment alone, going back to analyze the headlines, the photos used, the placement of the stories, the information left out of the MSM stories, the failure to give attention to the side stories, and the willingness to put up front the effort to discredit the victims and critics all resulted in the distortion of the facts and intentional dismissal of the opposition. And to this day, people like you refer to the whole incident as a 'blow job' or making a mountain out of a molehill. The MSM was more than happy to carefully craft it to create that impression. The Blagojevich story was handled a bit better but even there he was not demonized by the media as a Republican would have been. Even Anthony Weiner got off easier in the media than any Republican or conservative would have been able to pull off.

If the media was really doing honest journalism, they would be doing the research and investigation on those side stories regardless of who the subject of the story is, and they would give equal treatment to their subjects regardless of their ideology or political affiliation. The negative stories on Donald Trump for instance have been like 20 to 1 compared to negative stories about Hillary. And they stay on ANY issue re the Donald while many have never given any significant time or shown any interest in things like Benghazi, the many e-mail flaps, jeopardizing American security, intertwining of the Clinton Foundation with the State Department, i.e. pay to play, etc. Is Donald Trump's provocative remarks so much more serious than all that?

President Clinton's tryst was not a public policy issue.

Donald Trump declaring a desire to force Mexico to build a wall, to halt Muslim immigration for an indeterminate period of time, and asking why we don't use nuclear weapons (to name a few) are serious public policy issues.

I'd say that fear is more a part of the Democratic message: fear of imaginary racists, sexists, bigots, homophobes, etc. Fear of losing welfare payments, government subsidies, and the like. And envy, of course. Fear that someone else might do better in life than you.

LOL- the whole Clinton is :90% fear of Trump. 10% all the great free sh$t we'll give you if you elect us.

lol I know...

Crime is out of control (except its not)..so lets build more private prisons and pass harsher sentencing laws and militarize the police.

"Welfare queens" are lazy and getting a free meal with our money...so lets abolish welfare, food stamps and school lunches.

Al Qaeda attacked us on 9/11...so lets pass the Patriot Act and spy on US citizens and make them take off their shoes at airports.

Saddam has WMDs...so lets not wait for a "mushroom cloud."

'Don't ask, Don't tell' will bring about the collapse of the military.

The AFCA has "death panels" ...so lets ban affordable healthcare.

The elections are rigged...so lets destroy our democratic system.

Blacks are a voting block....so lets pass voter ID laws and make it harder for them to vote.

Blacks are getting educated...so lets abolish Affirmative Action.

Common Core is communist plot...so lets teach Creationism and Lost Cause in public schools.

Science is just a theory and GW is a conspiracy....so lets deny and not believe in science.

Obama is trying to take our guns so we can't defend ourselves...so lets buy more and bigger guns.

Mass murder at Sandy....so lets put more guns in schools.

The government is a tyranny and trying to take our freedums away...so lets not pay our taxes and take over a wildlife station on federal land.

The MSM lies...so lets just get our news from FoxNews, Limbaugh and Brietbart.

Liberals are 'evil' and trying to silence and persecute Christians and destroy Xmas...so lets persecute atheists and make politicians pass a religious test...and put up Christian monuments on government property...and proselytize in the military and hold prayer meetings in congress.

ISIS wants to kill us....so lets start a holy war and persecute all Muslims...aka Islamophobia.

Muslim extremists are pouring through our borders...so lets ban all Muslims from entering the country "until we figure things out."

Illegal immigrants rape, murder, bring diseases and take our jobs...so let's build a wall and deport 11 million people.

LGTB are 'child molesters' and trying to destroy traditional marriage and restrooms...so let's persecute and pass laws against Gays.

The government is corrupt...so let's shut it down.

The end of the world is coming...so let's stock up on ammo, rations and hide out in our bunkers.

If you need more proof that conservatives thrive on fear...just read Sailaway's posts.

Last edited:

I don't have time to go into it here, but I know of what I speak. In the Bill Clinton impeachment alone, going back to analyze the headlines, the photos used, the placement of the stories, the information left out of the MSM stories, the failure to give attention to the side stories, and the willingness to put up front the effort to discredit the victims and critics all resulted in the distortion of the facts and intentional dismissal of the opposition. And to this day, people like you refer to the whole incident as a 'blow job' or making a mountain out of a molehill. The MSM was more than happy to carefully craft it to create that impression. The Blagojevich story was handled a bit better but even there he was not demonized by the media as a Republican would have been. Even Anthony Weiner got off easier in the media than any Republican or conservative would have been able to pull off.

If the media was really doing honest journalism, they would be doing the research and investigation on those side stories regardless of who the subject of the story is, and they would give equal treatment to their subjects regardless of their ideology or political affiliation. The negative stories on Donald Trump for instance have been like 20 to 1 compared to negative stories about Hillary. And they stay on ANY issue re the Donald while many have never given any significant time or shown any interest in things like Benghazi, the many e-mail flaps, jeopardizing American security, intertwining of the Clinton Foundation with the State Department, i.e. pay to play, etc. Is Donald Trump's provocative remarks so much more serious than all that?

That's not what the data show that I've seen:

One Chart Exposes How The Media Bashes Hillary Clinton While Promoting Donald Trump

And here: Study: Trump boosted, Clinton hurt by primary media coverage - POLITICO

Though he regularly bashes the media as dishonest, scum and the “absolute worst,” Donald Trump disproportionately benefited from the Fourth Estate’s coverage over the past year of the presidential campaign. Hillary Clinton, meanwhile, drew the most negative coverage of any other candidate as she engaged in a longer than expected battle against Bernie Sanders for the Democratic nomination for more than a year.

I don't have time to go into it here, but I know of what I speak....
You only illustrate your own bias.

In the Bill Clinton impeachment alone, going back to analyze the headlines, the photos used, the placement of the stories.....
article-clintonadmits2-0818.jpg

And to this day, people like you refer to the whole incident as a 'blow job' or making a mountain out of a molehill.
Sorry not sorry. It was a molehill.

Its most serious allegation was perjury. Compared to his predecessors -- such as Reagan funding the Contras by selling weapons to post-Revolutionary Iran, or Nixon subverting the electoral process or waging an illegal war on Laos -- that's junior varsity league.

The Blagojevich story was handled a bit better but even there he was not demonized by the media as a Republican would have been.
Is that a joke? All of the individuals I listed were ripped to shreds by the press.

The negative stories on Donald Trump for instance have been like 20 to 1 compared to negative stories about Hillary.
That's because Trump cannot shut his damned fool mouth. It is no one's fault but his own if he cannot keep his trap shut.

Again, as Napoleon said: "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake." Instead of letting Clinton harm her campaign with gaffes and email issues, he keeps doing things he knows attracts the attention of the press -- and that's why he does them. He's a narcissist, who cannot stop himself from demanding press attention, even when it demolishes his own campaign.

No one in the media forced him to go after a Gold Star family, or call Mexicans rapists, or mock a disabled reporter, or refuse to release his tax returns, or claim that Megyn Kelly had "blood coming out of her wherever," or the dozens of other amateurishly incompetent things he's done during the campaign. They aren't the ones who have failed to set up campaign offices in battleground states. They don't force him to do 30-minute interviews with MSNBC and CNN and other allegedly hostile news networks 3 times a week.

And they stay on ANY issue re the Donald while many have never given any significant time or shown any interest in things like Benghazi
Already thoroughly investigated by Republicans, dragging her to hearings totally backfired, there were no findings of wrongdoing, no one cares anyway

the many e-mail flaps
Yes, Trump could let the media focus on that, but instead runs his mouth

jeopardizing American security
That's Trump's job. I mean, it's not like Russia invaded Ukraine, right? Or like Japan is a strategic partner? Or we should keep working with NATO?

intertwining of the Clinton Foundation with the State Department
Yes, Trump could let the media focus on that, but instead runs his mouth

Is Donald Trump's provocative remarks so much more serious than all that?
Afraid so.

Americans are quite suspicious of Clinton, but they're not afraid she'll start a nuclear war because of a Tweet.

Her record is nowhere near as bad as her detractors insist. E.g. she was actually pushing Obama to be more aggressive in Syria early on, but was shut down by others in the Obama administration.

Meanwhile, compared to the decades of public service Clinton has performed, Trump never held public office. He didn't even bother to run for Mayor anywhere first. His conduct on the campaign trail is a primary indicator of the content of his character, his reliability, his ability to communicate to and lead the public.

When we look at that conduct we see a stream of lies, misinformation, invective, xenophobia and divisiveness streaming out of his campaign every day. We see biweekly attempts to "reboot" his campaign, which are doomed by his own admission that he won't change, no matter how badly he loses. We see him punching down and whining about the slightest of slights, like a thin-skinned bully. We see, if nothing else, a thoroughly unpredictable individual, who is incapable of staying on message.

What do we see on the policy side? An utter mess. He's never held a position for more than 5 years, he backtracks half of his positions, his tax policy mostly benefits him and his rich buddies, his trade policies will throw us into a recession, he has no coherent military policy, he shows little knowledge of or interest in international affairs, his immigration policy is a nativist train-wreck.

Last but not least: He is solely responsible for his own campaign, and it's a freaking dumpster fire. How can he lead the nation, if he can't keep his campaign under control?

All the article really shows is the lower ratings of conservative media. People by and large in this country don't appreciate right-wing media because it is so biased and follows an agenda. The idea that the networks are "left-leaning" is really funny as corporate media has never been on the vanguard of any liberal agenda: for instance, Donald Trump is doing it too himself, and no networks that I'm aware of have shown any favoritism toward Hillary. CABLE is a different matter as in Fox and MSNBC. Fox however cannot make the climb in network ratings because of their bias and the source article is also a conservative source, so any objectivity goes right our the window from the first sentence.

When you excoriate "the left" for doing things a certain way yet ignore "the right" doing the same damn thing, what does that make you? HINT: It rhymes with "schmypocrite."

That's so weird. The ONLY person who did exactly that in this thread (left/right flip flopped, of course) was Moot.

Fear is a biological instinct and will naturally get and keep people's attention. And Republican ideas are largely based on fear. IE: the sky is falling. Rapists, murders and muslims, oh my.

Did I miss your chastising of her? Maybe you forgot. Did you forget? :)

lol I know...

Crime is out of control (except its not)..so lets build more private prisons and pass harsher sentencing laws and militarize the police.

"Welfare queens" are lazy and getting a free meal with our money...so lets abolish welfare, food stamps and school lunches.

Al Qaeda attacked us on 9/11...so lets pass the Patriot Act and spy on US citizens and make them take off their shoes at airports.

Saddam has WMDs...so lets not wait for a "mushroom cloud."

'Don't ask, Don't tell' will bring about the collapse of the military.

The AFCA has "death panels" ...so lets ban affordable healthcare.

The elections are rigged...so lets destroy our democratic system.

Blacks are a voting block....so lets pass voter ID laws and make it harder for them to vote.

Blacks are getting educated...so lets abolish Affirmative Action.

Common Core is communist plot...so lets teach Creationism and Lost Cause in public schools.

Science is just a theory and GW is a conspiracy....so lets deny and not believe in science.

Obama is trying to take our guns so we can't defend ourselves...so lets buy more and bigger guns.

Mass murder at Sandy....so lets put more guns in schools.

The government is a tyranny and trying to take our freedums away...so lets not pay our taxes and take over a wildlife station on federal land.

The MSM lies...so lets just get our news from FoxNews, Limbaugh and Brietbart.

Liberals are 'evil' and trying to silence and persecute Christians and destroy Xmas...so lets persecute atheists and make politicians pass a religious test...and put up Christian monuments on government property...and proselytize in the military and hold prayer meetings in congress.

ISIS wants to kill us....so lets start a holy war and persecute all Muslims...aka Islamophobia.

Muslim extremists are pouring through our borders...so lets ban all Muslims from entering the country "until we figure things out."

Illegal immigrants rape, murder, bring diseases and take our jobs...so let's build a wall and deport 11 million people.

LGTB are 'child molesters' and trying to destroy traditional marriage and restrooms...so let's persecute and pass laws against Gays.

The government is corrupt...so let's shut it down.

The end of the world is coming...so let's stock up on ammo, rations and hide out in our bunkers.

If you need more proof that conservatives thrive on fear...just read Sailaway's posts.
You might just as well have have said- Klattu- make me look foolish. Ok

The police are out of control and are incarcerating black males in mass numbers. And are killing them!!!!

If you elect Republicans, they will SLASH food stamp funding and people wil starve.

"In the four years since the inspectors left, intelligence reports show that Saddam Hussein has worked to rebuild his chemical and biological weapons stock, his missile delivery capability, and his nuclear program. He has also given aid, comfort, and sanctuary to terrorists, including al Qaeda members. It is clear, however, that if left unchecked, Saddam Hussein will continue to increase his capacity to wage biological and chemical warfare, and will keep trying to develop nuclear weapons." -Hillary Clinton) { LOL you REALLY shot yourself in the foot with that one huh?}

If you elect Republicans ,they's dismantle Obama care and they don't have a plan of their own!!

If we don't act on climate change NOW, we may be past the tipping point and millions will die.

Hopefully by now, you are felling sufficiently embarassed, but I could go on ad infinitum.

You're coming across as a typical pompous self-righteous liberal .

All the article really shows is the lower ratings of conservative media. People by and large in this country don't appreciate right-wing media because it is so biased and follows an agenda. The idea that the networks are "left-leaning" is really funny as corporate media has never been on the vanguard of any liberal agenda: for instance, Donald Trump is doing it too himself, and no networks that I'm aware of have shown any favoritism toward Hillary. CABLE is a different matter as in Fox and MSNBC. Fox however cannot make the climb in network ratings because of their bias and the source article is also a conservative source, so any objectivity goes right our the window from the first sentence.

That's kind of what kills me about the whole "liberal media" stuff. That media is owned by behemoth multinationals, funded by behemoth multinationals, in the pursuit of profits. I guess I've never thought of GE or Comcast or Disney as "liberal" entities. Same with the drug and car etc. companies who spend $billions in ads on those outlets - they're not "liberal" in any way I can identify.

I guess I see a "liberal" bias in the media on social issues, gay rights, religion, etc. but that's because big business and the Chamber of Commerce boys are "liberal" on social issues - that's what is best for business. Those same entities are for immigration for the same reason they're for the free movement of capital across borders and "free trade" - it's good for profits. Etc. I can't think of the media being "liberal" on actual issues important to liberals, like labor issues. How often are labor leaders, for example, on a Sunday News show panel - almost never.

That's so weird. The ONLY person who did exactly that in this thread (left/right flip flopped, of course) was Moot.

Did I miss your chastising of her? Maybe you forgot. Did you forget? :)

The discussion isn't about me. Or did you forget?

Fear is a biological instinct and will naturally get and keep people's attention. And Republican ideas are largely based on fear. IE: the sky is falling. Rapists, murders and muslims, oh my.

The discussion isn't about me. Or did you forget?

The conversation pertains to you when you're contributing your opinions to the conversation, Moot.

That's kind of what kills me about the whole "liberal media" stuff. That media is owned by behemoth multinationals, funded by behemoth multinationals, in the pursuit of profits. I guess I've never thought of GE or Comcast or Disney as "liberal" entities. Same with the drug and car etc. companies who spend $billions in ads on those outlets - they're not "liberal" in any way I can identify.

I guess I see a "liberal" bias in the media on social issues, gay rights, religion, etc. but that's because big business and the Chamber of Commerce boys are "liberal" on social issues - that's what is best for business. Those same entities are for immigration for the same reason they're for the free movement of capital across borders and "free trade" - it's good for profits. Etc. I can't think of the media being "liberal" on actual issues important to liberals, like labor issues. How often are labor leaders, for example, on a Sunday News show panel - almost never.

I think you're right. I would disagree however on the social issues. The networks covered the civil rights issues AND the Vietnam issues, not because of liberalism, but because these issues were news, and national news at that. They covered as well because they are Supreme Court and constitutional issues.

When was the last time we're seen a network news agency be pro union in labor issues? Democracy Now! sure, but the regular networks are beholden to their coffers. The OP is a biased demonstration.

I'd say that fear is more a part of the Democratic message: fear of imaginary racists, sexists, bigots, homophobes, etc. Fear of losing welfare payments, government subsidies, and the like. And envy, of course. Fear that someone else might do better in life than you.

It's fear all the way around: fear is the great motivator, always has been. That's why bot news and politics use it to get people to watch and listen.

There IS no boogeyman, just financial agendas.

You might just as well have have said- Klattu- make me look foolish. Ok

The police are out of control and are incarcerating black males in mass numbers. And are killing them!!!!

If you elect Republicans, they will SLASH food stamp funding and people wil starve.

"In the four years since the inspectors left, intelligence reports show that Saddam Hussein has worked to rebuild his chemical and biological weapons stock, his missile delivery capability, and his nuclear program. He has also given aid, comfort, and sanctuary to terrorists, including al Qaeda members. It is clear, however, that if left unchecked, Saddam Hussein will continue to increase his capacity to wage biological and chemical warfare, and will keep trying to develop nuclear weapons." -Hillary Clinton) { LOL you REALLY shot yourself in the foot with that one huh?}

If you elect Republicans ,they's dismantle Obama care and they don't have a plan of their own!!

If we don't act on climate change NOW, we may be past the tipping point and millions will die.

Hopefully by now, you are felling sufficiently embarassed, but I could go on ad infinitum.

You're coming across as a typical pompous self-righteous liberal .

Looks like I hit a nerve....so lets ignore, dismiss, smear and blame liberals for all our problems.

The conversation pertains to you when you're contributing your opinions to the conversation, Moot.

Then perhaps you should chastise Lowdown....since it was his post that I responded to.

Then perhaps you should chastise Lowdown....since it was his post that I responded to.

What did he say worthy of a chastisement?

What did he say worthy of a chastisement?

He gave his opinion. Isn't that why you usually chastise people, Josie? Or is it just liberals?

He gave his opinion. Isn't that why you usually chastise people, Josie? Or is it just liberals?

Oh. I thought you were going to actually make an insightful remark about LowDown's post. Nevermind.

Oh. I thought you were going to actually make an insightful remark about LowDown's post. Nevermind.

It's always a word game without substance with you. Thank you....I think I will 'nevermind.'

It's always a word game without substance with you. Thank you....I think I will 'nevermind.'

What word game? You've said literally nothing of substance for me to comment on.

The article really didn't have a thing to do with that.

What word game? You've said literally nothing of substance for me to comment on.

Then why are you still commenting and demanding that others chastise me for what I said? What did I say that deserved to be smeared and distorted by you? Look, I know how you hate sources with facts, logic and reason as proof...but there are literally scores of science based research, studies and observable evidence that supports my claim...

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=fear+instinct+and+politics+

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=why+are+conservatives+so+afraid

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=why+are+conservatives+so+paranoid

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=right+wing+fear+

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=right+wing+fear+mongering+

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=right+wing+hate+

The topic was about FoxNews and conservative echo chamber....is it not?

So who tried to change the subject and make it about liberals, first?

Answer: Lowdown and YOU did. See post #10 and #12.

Last edited:

The article really didn't have a thing to do with that.

Please correct my analysis.

Please correct my analysis.

I don't CARE about your analysis, because it wasn't what the article is about.

Then why are you still commenting and demanding that others chastise me for what I said?

Aren't you following the thread? Kobie said people who say the left is fear-mongering and ignore the right's fear-mongering are hypocrites. I pointed to the fact that you did exactly that but with the right/left flipped. You see? I was responding to Kobie, not you.

What did I say that deserved to be smeared and distorted by you?

What did I say that WAS a smear or distortion?

Look, I know how you hate sources with facts, logic and reason as proof

**eyeroll**

...but there are literally scores of science based research, studies and observable evidence that supports my claim...

And, as I already stated, there are literally scores of left-leaning policies and philosophies that fit under the fear-mongering umbrella.

The topic was about FoxNews and conservative echo chamber....is it not?

So who tried to change the subject and make it about liberals, first? Answer: Lowdown and YOU did. See post #10 and #12.

I see. You didn't actually READ the article, did you? :)

Back
Top Bottom