• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Conservative Media Echo Chamber Is Making the Right Intellectually Deaf[W:163]

Re: The Conservative Media Echo Chamber Is Making the Right Intellectually Deaf

That doesn't surprise me.

The left is demonized by the right.

Oh, like the opposite isn't true.

So name one.

Oh, like the opposite isn't true.

So name one.

They do both demonize one another.

Trans bathroom usage.

Gay marriage.

Pro-choice.

Welfare.

NOT invading Iraq.

Speaking as a former member of the media, I can easily state that the modern American media is an utter disgrace. The free press was intended to be the watchdogs of the truth. But except for a very few who are trying to get the truth out there as objectively as possible--and ALL of these a regularly trashed by the others, on message boards, etc.--the rest are total lapdogs for the Democratic party.

If the person is conservative or Republican, any hint of scandal or anything they can pretend is a scandal or any statement they can twist to make into something attackable leads their newscasts or is prominent on their front pages, as often as not for days and days. But if it is Obama or Hillary or anybody on their side, oh they didn't mean it that way or they were misunderstood--it gets a bare mention if any mention at all and then it is buried never to see the light of day again. It is shameful, and hateful, and serves us poorly.

Greetings, AlbqOwl. :2wave:

:agree: I've found that I get more honest information from foreign newspapers, and that is not only shocking, but eye-opening! That's why it's been so interesting to read the "leaks" put out by unknown persons, since we probably would have never known the truth otherwise.

As you know, in the business world it is essential for success to know what is going on - why has it been decided that it's not important in politics? The typical comeback these days, when things that a person sees going on and begins to question them, is "you fell for another 'conspiracy' theory", which belittles the people who ask, while implying they're just too stupid or naïve to know better. Oddly, that line doesn't ring true to many people lately, since the "leaked" emails have shown otherwise! And both parties are guilty of lying to the people who pay their salaries! :!:

They do both demonize one another.

Trans bathroom usage.

Not really a core issue. You think that's even top 10?

Gay marriage.

ZOMG! HATE HATE HATE! Gays being dragged behind cars!

Pro-choice.

Back-alley abortions, coathangers, women bleeding to death, women shackled up in kitchens, etc.

Everyone starving to death.

NOT invading Iraq.

Is it 2002 where you are? That would explain much.

Greetings, AlbqOwl. :2wave:

:agree: I've found that I get more honest information from foreign newspapers, and that is not only shocking, but eye-opening! That's why it's been so interesting to read the "leaks" put out by unknown persons, since we probably would have never known the truth otherwise.

As you know, in the business world it is essential for success to know what is going on - why has it been decided that it's not important in politics? The typical comeback these days, when things that a person sees going on and begins to question them, is "you fell for another 'conspiracy' theory", which belittles the people who ask, while implying they're just too stupid or naïve to know better. Oddly, that line doesn't ring true to many people lately, since the "leaked" emails have shown otherwise! And both parties are guilty of lying to the people who pay their salaries! :!:

That's the pure truth, Polgara. I couldn't think of any way to say it better. And yes, if you depend on the MSM for your primary source of news, you aren't going to get news about political or ideological issues. You're going to get mostly spin, obsfusication, slant, bias, and intentional misrepresentation all to benefit the Democrats or the progressive point of view or discredit any who oppose that.

The ONLY defense we have against that are the very few more objective news sources out there, the foreign press, and the internet. And I'm sure the MSM would shut all those down at least for news dispensation if they could.

Quoted for truth. Authoritative as AlbqOwl was "a former member of the media". Well done.

I too am concerned about the 4th estate's role, holding government accountable to the people, and their failing in that important role for our system of government to work properly.

I was educated and orientated into the 4th Estate when there were strict standards. You checked, double checked, verified, and verified again before printing ANYTHING that could call a person's honesty, reputation, or ethics into question. Most news stories were without byline and if we wrote one with the least bit of bias or intentional slant, we would get a severe knuckle rapping from the editor. And even those with a byline offered precious little wiggle room for any kind of opinion. Evenso, the media could get it wrong and often did. But such was ethically followed with a retraction and explanation when it was exposed. When is the last time you saw the MSM apologize for any heavily slanted or provocative headline or for deliberate and obvious bias re what they offer and what they don't? It is disgusting, reprehensible, and shameful.

Not really a core issue. You think that's even top 10?

ZOMG! HATE HATE HATE! Gays being dragged behind cars!

Back-alley abortions, coathangers, women bleeding to death, women shackled up in kitchens, etc.

Everyone starving to death.

Is it 2002 where you are? That would explain much.

Uhhh...

You can make any argument hysterical, therefore all arguments are hysterical.

And you don't see the problem there ?

Uhhh...

You can make any argument hysterical, therefore all arguments are hysterical.

And you don't see the problem there ?

I didn't make them hysterical.

I didn't make them hysterical.

You lumped all liberals together and then tried to project your liberal strawmen on them.

I gave you valid examples.

Surely Roger Ailes your conservative journalistic hero - great choice.

Roger Ailes doesn't pretend to be a journalist. He's a businessman. Your journalistic hero, Dan Rather, is in the process of being restored by the leftist media. That should make you happy.

You lumped all liberals together and then tried to project your liberal strawmen on them.

I gave you valid examples.

I did no such thing. I mentioned "core issues of the Left." You listed some; of those which actually fit the criteria, I gave you things said frequently by mainstream people on the left.

The Conservative Media Echo Chamber Is Making the Right Intellectually Deaf

I did no such thing. I mentioned "core issues of the Left." You listed some; of those which actually fit the criteria, I gave you things said frequently by mainstream people on the left.

No, mainstream people on the left do not fight for gay marriage by screaming about hate and gay people being dragged by cars.

I'm sorry Harshaw, but you are genuinely mistaken if you think that either side always uses fear while the other doesn't. We call these political topics "issues"- they are issues because they are "problems", problems are potentially harmful and potential harm can give rise to fear.

The fact of the matter is that any political topic can be abused to evoke fear. It is not ubiquitous among the issues presented by the right or the left.

I'd say that fear is more a part of the Democratic message: fear of imaginary racists, sexists, bigots, homophobes, etc. Fear of losing welfare payments, government subsidies, and the like. And envy, of course. Fear that someone else might do better in life than you.

If you can watch the RNC and DNC conventions from this year and tell me that democrats are the ones that more use fear as part of their message then you win a prize.

Speaking as a former member of the media, I can easily state that the modern American media is an utter disgrace. The free press was intended to be the watchdogs of the truth. But except for a very few who are trying to get the truth out there as objectively as possible--and ALL of these a regularly trashed by the others, on message boards, etc.--the rest are total lapdogs for the Democratic party.
So because they don't share your bias, nothing they say is the truth? Fascinating.

If the person is conservative or Republican, any hint of scandal or anything they can pretend is a scandal or any statement they can twist to make into something attackable leads their newscasts or is prominent on their front pages, as often as not for days and days. But if it is Obama or Hillary or anybody on their side, oh they didn't mean it that way or they were misunderstood--it gets a bare mention if any mention at all and then it is buried never to see the light of day again.
*cough*

Bill Clinton
Blagojevich
Jon Edwards
Elliot Spitzer
Anthony Weiner, aka "Carlos Danger"
Charles Rangel
Solyndra
Jon Corzine blowing up MF Global
Jesse Jackson Jr
Jim McGreevy

Lots of the above got national attention.

Roger Ailes doesn't pretend to be a journalist. He's a businessman. Your journalistic hero, Dan Rather, is in the process of being restored by the leftist media. That should make you happy.

No, he is a pathetic bully who assaults women because he is really a *****.

If the person is conservative or Republican, any hint of scandal or anything they can pretend is a scandal or any statement they can twist to make into something attackable leads their newscasts or is prominent on their front pages, as often as not for days and days. But if it is Obama or Hillary or anybody on their side, oh they didn't mean it that way or they were misunderstood--it gets a bare mention if any mention at all and then it is buried never to see the light of day again. It is shameful, and hateful, and serves us poorly.

Well, thats freedom. No one is forced to look at it.

No, mainstream people on the left do not fight for gay marriage by screaming about hate and gay people being dragged by cars.

There were indeed such arguments.

I'm sorry Harshaw, but you are genuinely mistaken if you think that either side always uses fear while the other doesn't.

Can you be in ANY conversation without claiming the other said something s/he didn't?

I've seen you in many threads, now, and I haven't seen that you can. Why is that?

This fellow is a typical NRO patrician who is unhappy that Fox News and other conservative media don't have the right kinds of conservatives. He goes through a laundry list of problems Fox News has but fails to place those observations in context. Yes, Fox News has a viewer-ship that is largely confined to ideological soul mates. Now, which of the other media outlets appeal to the public broadly? None of them, I suspect. The entire news media establishment has problems with credibility and low prestige, not to mention a shrinking viewer-ship.

To read this one would think that Republicans were a minority of the American political establishment and can't get their message out to the people. But it's not true. Republicans have both houses of congress and the majority of state legislatures and governorships. Republican ideas do appeal to the people, and the people know about them.

Fox New is no longer conservative media, they traded conservatism for Trumpism.

So because they don't share your bias, nothing they say is the truth? Fascinating.

*cough*

Bill Clinton
Blagojevich
Jon Edwards
Elliot Spitzer
Anthony Weiner, aka "Carlos Danger"
Charles Rangel
Solyndra
Jon Corzine blowing up MF Global
Jesse Jackson Jr
Jim McGreevy

Lots of the above got national attention.

I would have as much problem with the MSM being strongly biased to the right as I do with it being strongly biased to the left. As for you list, they ALL were treated with kid gloves compared to how they treat a Republican or conservative in the same circumstances.

Well, thats freedom. No one is forced to look at it.

The problem is, a free press that is not beholden to any political group is our best insurance to retain our freedom. When we do not have that, it is really easy for those who want to sucker you to be able to do so with impunity.

There were indeed such arguments.

They were not made by mainstream people on the left.

You are actually criticizing your own strawman, not left wing politics. That's why this is so ironic--

Can you be in ANY conversation without claiming the other said something s/he didn't?

I've seen you in many threads, now, and I haven't seen that you can. Why is that?

Look at your quote:

Actually, I'm hard-pressed to come up with a single core issue on the Left which ISN'T based in fear.

By specifying "on the Left" you are, indeed, implying that this phenomenon is unique to the left. And you'll note that i prefaced my comment with "if you think that..."- i was very clearly leaving room for doubt.

Either you did believe that, and if so i reduced it to the absurd, or you didn't believe that, and you agree with me.

Actually, I'm hard-pressed to come up with a single core issue on the Left which ISN'T based in fear.

Equal rights don't seem to scare the center and left, but the concept terrifies the right.
Universal healthcare doesn't scare the center and left, but it scares the hell out of the right.

That's just two off the top of my head, but I'll admit that both are consistent with the American right's utter disdain for the value of actually existing human life.

Quoted for truth. Authoritative as AlbqOwl was "a former member of the media". Well done.

I too am concerned about the 4th estate's role, holding government accountable to the people, and their failing in that important role for our system of government to work properly.

I dunno, I was a "member of the media" for I guarantee as long or longer than AlbqOwl, and I think his assessment is a pile of horse manure.

I was educated and orientated into the 4th Estate when there were strict standards. You checked, double checked, verified, and verified again before printing ANYTHING that could call a person's honesty, reputation, or ethics into question. Most news stories were without byline and if we wrote one with the least bit of bias or intentional slant, we would get a severe knuckle rapping from the editor. And even those with a byline offered precious little wiggle room for any kind of opinion. Evenso, the media could get it wrong and often did. But such was ethically followed with a retraction and explanation when it was exposed. When is the last time you saw the MSM apologize for any heavily slanted or provocative headline or for deliberate and obvious bias re what they offer and what they don't? It is disgusting, reprehensible, and shameful.

You'll get no argument from me. I'm with you 100% that the present activity which is laughing called 'journalism' is anything but far from that, and I agree that it's disgusting, reprehensible, and shameful and downright dangerous to our nation, our Republic, and our fundamental national values that we used to have, and our way of life.

I dunno, I was a "member of the media" for I guarantee as long or longer than AlbqOwl, and I think his assessment is a pile of horse manure.

Hmm. New York vs. New Mexico. May have something to do with it. I'd say differing perspectives on the matter.

When are the people on the coasts going to realize that they've gone off beyond the left edge of the page?

Back
Top Bottom