• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

texas sucks

That is why you talk to your kids, find out what is being taught, and where needed, tell them that you have an alternate opinion.

The schools can't support the ideology of all the parents so they try to stick to the middle, my experience anyway. If you want your kids to be thinkers, give them your view, and let them decide.

I'm sorry but based on the what the OP talks about, that is not taking the middle. Even if it's true that there's systemic liberal bias in the education system (and I think this is untrue), I don't see how going far right is going to change anything. Children are in school, typically, from 9-4 each day; discounting lunch breaks, that is 6 hours of daily indoctrination if the system is being hyperbolic about it.

The education system is responsible for molding the middle class. I don't think it's possible to entirely sway your children away from being spoonfed corrupting information, especially if passing their courses requires them to know, understand, and successfully regurgitate these flawed facts. I agree that parenting plays a big role but school is just as important in one's upbringing.

I'm sorry but based on the what the OP talks about, that is not taking the middle. Even if it's true that there's systemic liberal bias in the education system (and I think this is untrue), I don't see how going far right is going to change anything. Children are in school, typically, from 9-4 each day; discounting lunch breaks, that is 6 hours of daily indoctrination if the system is being hyperbolic about it.

The education system is responsible for molding the middle class. I don't think it's possible to entirely sway your children away from being spoonfed corrupting information, especially if passing their courses requires them to know, understand, and successfully regurgitate these flawed facts. I agree that parenting plays a big role but school is just as important in one's upbringing.

So you think your kids are being indoctrinated all day? even in math class?
paranoid much? Schools are not part of a diablolical plot to brainwash your kids. They are there to make your kids TRAINABLE. Employers expect a certain amount of basic education, and they will add the training.
I spent my 12 years in public schools, never felt I was being indoctrinated, or spoon fed.
The wife and I raised our kids thru public school, still no spoon fed crap.
Now we have grandkids in school, still no crap.
The only time politics should come into play at school is in Civics, and in some of history, and most of that is so diluted as to be worthless.

Texans are not drinking the dhimmi koolaid. Islam is evil, its as simple as that. We must protect our children from those who are attempting to portray it as a religion of peace.

And SgtRock knows how many Muslims?

Zero.

I haven't met any Zoroastrians. Do I think their religion is evil on the basis of a few people I never met but heard about?

To make you think that they care about the kids .....
Laws are easily circumvented.

If you want to think that more power to you. Texas has some awesome schools and we like all other states care deeply about our kids and their schooling.

If you want to think that more power to you. Texas has some awesome schools and we like all other states care deeply about our kids and their schooling.

I grew up in Texas...went to M.B. Smiley High School in NE Houston...
The school was a good one, rated well academically back then, don't know about now.
I was speaking for ALL schools, everywhere. I have seen school boards and administration do some stupid things.
Our school board for M. B. Smiley banned "the Scarlet Letter", and "To Kill a Mockingbird" in the early 60's.
I have seen a school board try to go against the wishes of the parents when the parents wanted to add kindergarten.
And I have seen administration harass good teachers because they insisted on holding the kids accountable for doing their work, OR did such a good job that other teachers in the same grade level did poorly by comparison.
And the dumbest thing I have ever heard from a very young teacher....."The parents should leave the education of their children to the experts who have attended college to learn to be teachers". She was one of the poorer teachers in the district, and considered herself an expert. I expect an expert to have many years experience and lots of college degrees.
It's definitely not smart to "leave it to the experts", parents should be involved at all stages of their children's education, or else face the chance of having their children too dumb to get jobs.

I grew up in Texas...went to M.B. Smiley High School in NE Houston...
The school was a good one, rated well academically back then, don't know about now.
I was speaking for ALL schools, everywhere. I have seen school boards and administration do some stupid things.
Our school board for M. B. Smiley banned "the Scarlet Letter", and "To Kill a Mockingbird" in the early 60's.
I have seen a school board try to go against the wishes of the parents when the parents wanted to add kindergarten.
And I have seen administration harass good teachers because they insisted on holding the kids accountable for doing their work, OR did such a good job that other teachers in the same grade level did poorly by comparison.
And the dumbest thing I have ever heard from a very young teacher....."The parents should leave the education of their children to the experts who have attended college to learn to be teachers". She was one of the poorer teachers in the district, and considered herself an expert. I expect an expert to have many years experience and lots of college degrees.
It's definitely not smart to "leave it to the experts", parents should be involved at all stages of their children's education, or else face the chance of having their children too dumb to get jobs.

During integration the public high school I went to here in the Dallas area gave up federal funds so as to not integrate. Academically the high school is great. Socially at least when I was there in the early 80's it was still stuck in the 50's. We had one black student and she left after one semester due to the harassment.

During integration the public high school I went to here in the Dallas area gave up federal funds so as to not integrate. Academically the high school is great. Socially at least when I was there in the early 80's it was still stuck in the 50's. We had one black student and she left after one semester due to the harassment.

I think white folk are the minority at Smiley now. They integratred shortly after I left Texas in 1964....

I so agree with you! I don't believe parents should leave education up to the teachers. I feel most of the teachings are biased especially in the universities. I do think most teachers do care about their students but they teach thru their own filters which may not always be the best.

In 4th grade I was living in Virginia and they started 'busing' and I was sent to an all black school. I think 5% was white. Was an huge learning experience. Harasssment was an understatement. Some of the teachers were the worst. Being a minority shed a light on me on how important it is to not judge people. Honestly I am thankful for the experience even though it was hell then.

I am so happy my parents, especially my father, took such an active role in my education. I fear what I would have been like if they weren't after reading this thread and what Texas wants to do with their textbooks.

I am so happy my parents, especially my father, took such an active role in my education. I fear what I would have been like if they weren't after reading this thread and what Texas wants to do with their textbooks.

My mother was a school teacher here in Texas.

“Texas is a state of mind. Texas is an obsession. Above all, Texas is a nation in every sense of the word. And there's an opening convey of generalities. A Texan outside of Texas is a foreigner.”
John Steinbeck said that.
Not sure exactly what he meant, but from my years there, I would say that Texas, in many ways, stands alone. Comes from being the largest state for so long. They are still pissed about us buying Alaska...:2razz:

My mother was a school teacher here in Texas.

We have 3 generations of teachers, my MIL, wife, and son. It is a very rewarding career, just not in a monetary sense. If a teacher is the sole breadwinner in the family, times can be tough. But as the second breadwinner in a family, it is a good career choice.

We have 3 generations of teachers, my MIL, wife, and son. It is a very rewarding career, just not in a monetary sense. If a teacher is the sole breadwinner in the family, times can be tough. But as the second breadwinner in a family, it is a good career choice.

I'm 5th generation Texan. And yeah teaching can be very rewarding. But do you know what it is like when your mom went to the high school you do and she is a teacher in the school system Oy Vey!!

I'm 5th generation Texan. And yeah teaching can be very rewarding. But do you know what it is like when your mom went to the high school you do and she is a teacher in the school system Oy Vey!!

My mom volunteered at my school every day. It sucked because if I ever did anything they always went right to her.

Is it anything like "preachers kids"?

Oh, agree, it's a great career. I loved it also, pre-disability. But not only does it take a modicum of brains, but you gotta be talented and creative, as well. Did you graduate with most of the people you started college with, or were there far fewer?

Lib? If you're unmarried ya gotta work those 3 months to make the rent payments. Plus you gotta maintain your teaching certification by taking classes on your own dime. Financially it's really tuff in some areas...big cities and very rural. Many suburbs can make it livable, but not all.

Regards from Rosie

yeah, or you could spread your paychecks over the course of a year...i know a couple of teachers who do that.

yeah, or you could spread your paychecks over the course of a year...i know a couple of teachers who do that.

I don't get school paychecks in the summer. I just add to my savings throughout the school year so I'll have enough to cover summer bills.

I don't get school paychecks in the summer. I just add to my savings throughout the school year so I'll have enough to cover summer bills.

but many school districts offer that option, so if a person isn't disciplined enough to save, they don't have to.

The problem with bias in schools is that it's heavily dependent upon the region you are in. Texas is heavily right wing, therefore, it's no surprise that the textbooks and schools throughout Texas end up looking like an episode of Bonanza. This is what you get when you have a school system that changes from border to border like every state is an independent country, and when local yokels on school boards get their paws into curriculum and educational policy under lax state standards.

What some parents who are right wing think is "bias" may indeed be entirely inaccurate. They just disapprove. For example, the crazies in Kansas thought teaching evolution was 'bias' and thus tried to undermine it. A lot of hard-core "patriots" similarly think any mention of the United States in less than a stellar light is tantamount to being anti-American or "biased." THey would prefer education be a non-stop brainwashing tool that churns out obedient Christian patriots who hug posters of George Bush.

Last edited:
The problem with bias in schools is that it's heavily dependent upon the region you are in. Texas is heavily right wing, therefore, it's no surprise that the textbooks and schools throughout Texas end up looking like an episode of Bonanza. This is what you get when you have a school system that changes from border to border like every state is an independent country, and when local yokels on school boards get their paws into curriculum and educational policy under lax state standards.

What some parents who are right wing think is "bias" may indeed be entirely inaccurate. They just disapprove. For example, the crazies in Kansas thought teaching evolution was 'bias' and thus tried to undermine it. A lot of hard-core "patriots" similarly think any mention of the United States in less than a stellar light is tantamount to being anti-American or "biased." THey would prefer education be a non-stop brainwashing tool that churns out obedient Christian patriots who hug posters of George Bush.
God forbid we engage in gross stereotypes and ridiculous hyperbole. :roll:

Back
Top Bottom