• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ted Cruz, John Kasich join forces to stop Donald Trump

the only thing that saves the GOP from this fate is the democratic party running hillary as its standard bearer

You really think that Hillary as the opponent is enough to overcome running the candidate with the worst negative ratings in recorded history or appointing a candidate that did not receive the most votes during the primary?

And how is that a policy on which the GOP can stand for any significant period of time - just oppose her because...Hillary? Well, I guess it has been the policy over the last 8 years. And that is exactly why we are seeing the destruction of the GOP right now.

Problem is the morons on the Left WANT the GOP to be destroyed so they can have unfettered permanent one party rule. Sorry, but we need Conservative opposition to keep the Democrats on a chokingly tight leash.

Please look at this

About Us - Tea Party

15 Non-negotiable Core Beliefs
1. Illegal aliens are here illegally. 2. Pro-domestic employment is indispensable. 3. A strong military is essential. 4. Special interests must be eliminated. 5. Gun ownership is sacred. 6. Government must be downsized. 7. The national budget must be balanced. 8. Deficit spending must end. 9. Bailout and stimulus plans are illegal. 10. Reducing personal income taxes is a must. 11. Reducing business income taxes is mandatory. 12. Political offices must be available to average citizens. 13. Intrusive government must be stopped. 14. English as our core language is required. 15. Traditional family values are encouraged. -

Lots of those are Trump principles as well. And he knows enough to give lip service to them at most of his rallies.
Most of that is typical Republican party speak.

i will disprove your argument with two words:

sarah palin

Except Sarah Palin is not a libertarian and I think her support for Trump is more about her than him.

you illustrate the parties placing the interests of the party above those of the nation
i cannot subscribe to that

How so? Can you develop that a bit so I can get your point as I do not want the parties to put their interests above those that of the nation.

Why are you replying a post I made speaking to Opportunity Cost?

oh wait - its a chance to attack me without putting forth any actual substance to refute the verifiable substance I presented about the tea party and Trump. Never mind.

Except I did refute you. And no, your uniformed, biased opinions are not 'verifiable substance.' They are mostly garbage.

IF Trump was a centralist like you claim he'd be way ahead in the national polls on who does best against Hillary or Bernie but he gets buried. :roll:

He is an opportunist, a panderer to the worst of America's fears and hate. He calls everyone else a liar and yet there is so much tape on him doing just that. He is so unprepared to be President there is a collective horror across our Republic and the rest of the world. He is a thin skinned bully. A thick skulled rabble rouser. A vague hand gesture substitute for any sort of plan for the future- "trust me I'll do such great things"

Empty rhetoric is his forte- "Make America Great Again".... it already is the greatest nation on earth- our problem is all the regressive know nothings who demand we return to the 50's...

But you maybe correct on Trump as the salvation of the GOP. In a perverse way of course-
Trump is brings the TP/ radical right pimple to a head. It will be popped and once all the pus is wiped away a new GOP will emerge... :peace

lost my appetite at reading that imagery

so, we are left with a GOP that is a pustule without all the pus
sounds like something the republicans would vote for

Except I did refute you. And no, your uniformed, biased opinions are not 'verifiable substance.' They are mostly garbage.

You confuse reply with refute simply because they share the same two letters.

I agree with you that the tea party principles I presented from their website are "mostly garbage" - but that is the fault of the tea party and not me for presenting it as evidence their positions merge quite nicely with those of Trump.

Your problem is with them - not me.

i will disprove your argument with two words:

sarah palin

And don't forget Louis Farrakhan and Civil Rights Activist Charles Evers! Were they part of the Teaparty? What about Libertarians? What about Chris Christie?

This is an obvious admission by Kasich and Cruz that they are worried that Trump is going to wrap up the nomination before the convention. It reeks of desperation and makes both of them look incredibly weak.

it is a wise strategic play
they optimize their resources to achieve their objective: to deny tRump 1237 delegates
by doing so, they are able to place their own names in play

Agreed. But this list came from a Tea party official site.
So basically the Teaparty isn't some radical wing but 90% typical Republican spiel? That kinda hurts your argument.

it is a wise strategic play
they optimize their resources to achieve their objective: to deny tRump 1237 delegates
by doing so, they are able to place their own names in play

It's kinda laughable for Kasich to assume he had a campaign to suspend anyway.

The Republican Party, for all its recent stupidity, will not nominate Ted Cruz over Donald Trump. They want to win the White House and deny Bill and Hillary another minute's stay in the people's house. There best chance to do that, regrettably, is by nominating Trump.

You could be right, although I'm not sure. There are plenty of of people, like myself, who would vote for almost any other Republican besides Trump in the general election. Whether there are more of those than Democratic votes Trump could pull I'm not sure, although I imagine that Trump or Cruz would get blown out either way.

Donald Trump, for all his buffoonery, will actually draw support from Democrats who don't like Hillary Clinton. I don't think there's a single Democrat, no matter how much they dislike Clinton, who will vote for a thoroughly abhorrent individual like Cruz.

The Republican Party, for all its recent stupidity, will not nominate Ted Cruz over Donald Trump. They want to win the White House and deny Bill and Hillary another minute's stay in the people's house. There best chance to do that, regrettably, is by nominating Trump.

Well that is sure a frightening thought... to stand a chance against another Clinton, nominate a lunatic in Trump.

In case no one has said it yet, and in no uncertain terms... We are ****ed!

So basically the Teaparty isn't some radical wing but 90% typical Republican spiel? That kinda hurts your argument.

Not at all. While the tea party folk come out of the Republican party - so the over lap is quite understandable and expected - they are also different in that they are the main street/blue collar/ lower end of the traditional conservative movement and that gives them an identify different than the usual country club set that is the usual GOP makeup. In addition, there is a stronger anti-government streak that runs through the tea party folk that is not as virulent as that of the establishment GOP who simply wants to use government for their own ends and those of their friend in Big Business.

This is a last ditch effort that reeks of desperation - not to mention perhaps the worst timing ever. Both of these guys have tickets in their hands to a voyage on the Titanic and they are arguing about who gets the room with the best view. This only makes Trump look stronger.

Kasich has not really been running a campaign for a while now so he has precious little to suspend in those states. And Cruz no longer has any real states to be competitive in so he concentrates on internal ground operation in states where he can steal delegates from Trump and counter the voters wishes. Some principled guy you have there. Cruz is a slimy scumbag who reeks of full blown creepiness on a level that you have to go back to Joe McCarthy to see.

In the end this probably matters little as Trump has boxed the GOP into such a corner that they only outcome is for them to lose big in November and lose the Senate as well.

If this story and strategy had appeared last December - things might have been different. But now its far too little and far too late to change the destiny of the Republicans which is to be the biggest losers since 1972.
Excellent post!

Really excellent!

However, I think you underestimate Cruz' appeal in some of those conservative western states.

Also, California has two critical facets: It is extremely diverse, varying by geographic local, and it awards delegates by individual Congressional districts. So if California were to be successfully worked in collusion, it could deprive Mr. Trump of quite a few delegates. And Trump is already on track to not meet 1237.

But this collusion is about desperation, as you stated, and I, like you, believe it is too late. They'll stop Trump from attainment the majority, but winning the politics is a whole different manner!

If the dynamics of this primary don't moderate, Cleveland's going to be a bloodbath!

I wonder how many books are going to be written about this election.

This is a last ditch effort that reeks of desperation - not to mention perhaps the worst timing ever. Both of these guys have tickets in their hands to a voyage on the Titanic and they are arguing about who gets the room with the best view. This only makes Trump look stronger.

Kasich has not really been running a campaign for a while now so he has precious little to suspend in those states. And Cruz no longer has any real states to be competitive in so he concentrates on internal ground operation in states where he can steal delegates from Trump and counter the voters wishes. Some principled guy you have there. Cruz is a slimy scumbag who reeks of full blown creepiness on a level that you have to go back to Joe McCarthy to see.

In the end this probably matters little as Trump has boxed the GOP into such a corner that they only outcome is for them to lose big in November and lose the Senate as well.

If this story and strategy had appeared last December - things might have been different. But now its far too little and far too late to change the destiny of the Republicans which is to be the biggest losers since 1972.

I think you are engaging in the same kind of wishful thinking here that you have engaged in when discussing the Second Amendment.

Senator Joe McCarthy was a brave patriot and a personal hero of mine. He has been vindicated by documents which have come to light since his time, including the Venona Cables. Apparently you are unaware of all that information, which proves that two Democratic Presidents negligently allowed Soviet agents to penetrate the federal government on a vast scale. It also proves other Democrat politicians then tried to cover up the fiasco by lying, fixing prosecutions, and attacking McCarthy. Fake liberals worked against their own country's interests by again and again shielding Communist agents.

The Marxist liar and federal felon who will probably be the candidate of the other party is the weakest candidate that party will have put up in quite a few decades. The FBI likely has a lot of damning information about criminal conduct by her that compromised our national security, and she has no way to stop Director Comey from bringing it out--even it he has to resign to do it.

Yes - that is pretty much right on the money. The best thing the GOP can do - in terms of avoiding destroying the party which is the worst possible result - is to simply accept that Trump is going to get the nomination, try to unite behind that effort, runtime best campaign you can, take the loss in November and then try to make sure it never ever happens again.

But at least they still have an intact party to make that future effort and if they deny Trump the nomination through chicanery and machiavellian machinations - then they risk destroying the party which is a whole lot worse than simply losing an election badly.

Let us remember that Goldwater tanked big time in 64 but the GOP came back four years later to win with Nixon.
MCgovern tanked badly in 72 but Carter came back for the Dems in 76 and won.
A really bad loss can be overcome. But destroying the party - well thats territory that is historic.
Right on.

In sports jargon, this election cycle would be known as 'a rebuilding' year! :mrgreen:

The "people" are conspiring?

Or, the "Party" is conspiring?

How much does the party care about the people? I am not expecting much, but am hoping for the best. But what is that? Hillary vs Trump? What a mess we are in.

The GOP gave up on stopping Trump a while ago, having had the reality check that the base it reared and educated on a malignant and anti-intellectual ideology will never abandon Trump, and an ensuing epiphany that the demagogue presents a unique opportunity to reconstitute the state's identity and advance the party's ideology. The GOP's strategy shifted thereafter into tilting the scales to its favor before sitting with Trump at the negotiation table. This is why Cruz is dropping his anti-establishment facade and joining forces with Kasich. Both are the vanguard of the GOP and its strategy of intimidating Trump into making a deal that will grant him the party's nomination in exchange for his feigned allegiance.

Back
Top Bottom