• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

TD Wins It

Nothing wrong with the rule.
The rule is bad because gives one team an extra chance and the opposing team quite possibly gets no chance. It is stupid. It's no less stupid than if the same team were to receive both the opening and halftime kickoff.

The Overtime rule where if you score a TD on your first drive is bullshit. No more so obvious than the Buffalo/KC game right now. The idea that one team going and scoring and the other team not getting a chance to at least have the ball is utter horseshit. There might not be a more stupid rule in all of sports.
The other team did have a chance to control the ball, 4 quarters worth of chances. I'm okay with a TD winning it.

Worth pointing out that they tried to change this rule after 2018 and the Bills voted to keep it the way it is.

Why??/ If a team does not like the rule then they need to play better ball, without a tie at regulation. No excuses.

Much of sports fandom is based on the belief that single play or moment decide fate. A sportsman knows years of commitment decide fate.

Before the rule change, OTs were 15 minutes ( except for playoff games, for obvious reasons ) and if the score was still tied after the 'extra i5 minute quarter', game ended in a tie. The new rule cut the OT to 10 minutes. If the receiving team doesn't score, or only scores a FG, the other team gets a shot with the ball. If the receiving team scores a TD on the first possession, it's game over.

Thanks!

The new rule was put into effect 'primarily' to shorten the OT, because the league decided in OTs, players are exhausted, and more likely to get injured. Most fans prefer the old rule, including myself, but like with so many other things these days, with the crazy amounts of money these guys make, the owners leaned on the Commissioner for the new rule.

i put this in the same B.S. category as when the N.H.L. instated the O.T. shootout! I hate it.

Baseball does it... they give both teams one inning to do what they can. Same with Soccer and Rugby. Same with tennis. Imagine a tie breaker where Serena wins a coin toss and if she wins the first point she wins the whole thing. They only do that AFTER a whole overtime period. Same in hockey. Both hockey and soccer have an overtime and then a shootout. Football is the only sport that does something like this and it is retarded.

I'm not crazy about the hockey shoot-out, either.

Baseball isn't a good analogy. It keeps going until there's a lead, even though it is done 'inning-by-inning'.

My take. The O/T rule is what it is. The NFL can change it.

For those supporting a change to where each team gets one touch of the ball. If the O/T is for 10 minutes. Why not play for the full 10 minutes. Maybe number of touches should not matter. If tied at the end of O/T period 1, then go again for another 10 minutes.

or maybe just leave the rule as it is. The NFL owners and players union will figure out what is best for their bottom line.

lolwhut? Best D? The Bills allowed Mahomes to get into field goal range with just 13 seconds left during regulation. Its like they werent even there.
That is what Chris Collinsworth said during his commentary... twice, I think. The Bills had the best D in the league and specifically on third downs.

Outraged at the NFL this week instead of the police? Okay carry on..... 🤯
I never really noticed how immature and stupid your posts were before this. I am hoping that it is just an isolated case because I don't remember paying much attention to the posts either.

Yeah, and I guarantee if Bills won teh toss, they would have scored. At that point, Defenses couldn't stop anybody
And I would be just as down on the rule if that had happened.

The other team did have a chance to control the ball, 4 quarters worth of chances. I'm okay with a TD winning it.
The argument is about AFTER regulation... so no, they did not have an equal chance.

I'm not crazy about the hockey shoot-out, either.

Baseball isn't a good analogy. It keeps going until there's a lead, even though it is done 'inning-by-inning'.
But football could do that... KC scored a TD and the Bills have to score a TD on their next drive to keep it going. Same as baseball exactly.

Kansas City had 60 minutes to beat the Bills and they couldn't do it either. Why do they deserve an extra drive and not Buffalo?
Neither team deserves it more than the other, that's why you flip a coin. This is why you need to focus on Defense just as much if not more than Offense, you never know if your QB is going to be on the field at the very end of the game.

The Overtime rule where if you score a TD on your first drive is bullshit. No more so obvious than the Buffalo/KC game right now. The idea that one team going and scoring and the other team not getting a chance to at least have the ball is utter horseshit. There might not be a more stupid rule in all of sports.

Doesn't Buffalo have a defense?

Speaking only as a fan, I much prefer the college overtime rules. Winning the coinflip still gives you a significant advantage, but not as lopsided in my opinion. Though, the TD wins rule is most certainly better than previously where a FG would win the game.

Neither team deserves it more than the other, that's why you flip a coin.
Flipping a coin to see who gets the massive advantage of going first in overtime doesn't make it a fair fight.

I did in depth and compared it to other sports that allow both sides to have a chance at the ball.

In extra innings imagine that if a player hits a home run the game is over and the other side does not get an at bat.

Same in soccer... they have an entire extra period and go to a shootout. Rugby. Cricket.
Most sports, all as far as I am aware, allow BOTH teams a chance at offense.
That's nice. But the win needs to happen in regulation----otherwise be prepared for whatever happens in OT. That's my view. I like K.I.S.S.

Buffalo had 4 quarters to win. KC had 4 quarters plus an extra drive.
and with it was the Bill's extra defensive stand------------and the Bill's blew it
Yeah, no one's saying the rules should have been changed on the spot for that game so give it a rest.

Buffalo had 4 quarters to win. KC had 4 quarters plus an extra drive.

Yeah, no one's saying the rules should have been changed on the spot for that game so give it a rest.
And Both teams will knows the rules in games to come as well...........

Back
Top Bottom