• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Stupid Law?

Is this a stupid law...

• Total voters
No, it's not a stupid law. I used to breed dogs. This law is meant to try and do away with backyard breeders.

When I was a breeder, I went to pick up a sire and a dam Bichon Frise, and ended up buying every dog this woman had. It was not in my budget, but I had to get the dogs out of where they were.

This is not where they lived, but it's almost an exact replica. They were outside, in shoddy chain-link fences, with water bowls filled with green algae water. I left with every Bichon and every Poodle she had. I came home, I took them all to the vet and got them healthy, then took them to the groomer and got them clean. Once they were healthy, I found them good homes.

275_not_exactly_image.jpg

The puppies that end up in pet stores are puppies from puppy mills, like the lady I bought the dogs from. True, responsible breeders do not sell their puppies to pet stores, because the pet stores don't take very good care of them. Most breeders did as I did - they kept the puppies inside and got them acclimated to home life (sounds, kids, vacuums, etc) so they'd be OK when they went to their new home. Backyard breeders don't care about how the puppies look, whether they are healthy, etc. They just want that check. To be a good breeder, you will never make money doing it. It takes a lot of money to feed puppies, sires and dams the best food, plus they have to have regular vet visits, trips to the groomer, etc.

No, this is a good law. I'm quite sure that animal lovers and responsible breeders alike are cheering this law. If the State of California has strict ag laws regarding animal breeding, it will eventually do away with puppy mills.

puppy-mill-2-720x340.jpg

Exactly. Which is why I agree it's constitutional. I don't understand why you're arguing with me like I haven't said that three times.

I don't either. LOL!

Its California dude. My state makes stupid laws all the time.

1. It's Bodi's OP. Right there, slow down. Take a second look. Consider various baits, maybe one's tasty.

2. It's not a stupid law.

3. You live there, how do you not know that.

4. See 1.

5. ?

6. Profit.

The state spends $250 million per year cleaning up (euthanizing) the puppy mill industry. It has every right to regulate the industry.
They're regulating pet stores, not "puppy mills".

Dogs aren’t the same as bagels and anyone who can’t appreciate the difference is an idiot. There aren’t good dogs and bad dogs, there’s only dogs.

Thank you. I'm going to take this out of context and make it my signature.

Stupid Law... yes or no and why...

California just passed law making buying a non-rescue dog illegal.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/30/us/california-dog-cat-rabbit-sales/index.html

I find this law offensive, stupid and unConstitutional.

This is as stupid as saying that you can only buy two-day old bagels and not new ones because the old bagels are going to waste or that you can only buy new cars instead of old cars because they deserve to be cared for and driven... All it does is punish dog breeders as well as the dogs being bred. There are also rescue dogs that are violent and will not be sold anyway. It is another case of California being a piece of **** state and lawmakers over-extending their authority in the name of sounding virtuous.

LOLOLOL By now I'm sure someone has told you that you completely misunderstand the law.

On so many levels.

LOLOLOL By now I'm sure someone has told you that you completely misunderstand the law.

On so many levels.

But is anyone gonna defend bagels or cars.

Removing their primary market will have a negative economic effect on the puppy mills.

Why not, "there are no bad dogs, only bad bagels?"

I was somewhat unclear when I first stated "the puppy mill industry" and then "the industry". I meant the pet sale industry the second time, and kind of the first.

Anyway, I'll stand corrected and say "the pet sale industry".

Regulating puppy mills directly would be great as well. How much law enforcement time would we like to allocate or pay additional? I'd pay a little extra tax to help animal cops crack down on horror breeders.

Pet stores are easier, though. Everyone knows where they are.

Do whatever you want but I was addressing someone I’m not confident, at all, does appreciate the difference.

Do whatever you want but I was addressing someone I’m not confident, at all, does appreciate the difference.

How does that make my signature any less funny?

Removing their primary market will have a negative economic effect on the puppy mills.
How does it remove their primary market? The market is very much still there.
If people are willing to pay $1500 or whatever for a cockapoo, do you think they're suddenly going to change their mind and pick up a mutt from the pound because this law was passed? I'm guessing they'll simply do a google search and pick the closest supplier.

How does that make my signature any less funny?

I'm disappointed Bodi hasn't argued their similarities.

"That's where you're wrong, X. Bagels and dogs, in this context, are practically the same thing."

How does it remove their primary market? The market is very much still there.
If people are willing to pay $1500 or whatever for a cockapoo, do you think they're suddenly going to change their mind and pick up a mutt from the pound because this law was passed? I'm guessing they'll simply do a google search and pick the closest supplier.

The closest supplier doesn't buy hundreds of animals a month, supporting the mills.

Stupid Law... yes or no and why...

California just passed law making buying a non-rescue dog illegal.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/30/us/california-dog-cat-rabbit-sales/index.html

I find this law offensive, stupid and unConstitutional.

This is as stupid as saying that you can only buy two-day old bagels and not new ones because the old bagels are going to waste or that you can only buy new cars instead of old cars because they deserve to be cared for and driven... All it does is punish dog breeders as well as the dogs being bred. There are also rescue dogs that are violent and will not be sold anyway. It is another case of California being a piece of **** state and lawmakers over-extending their authority in the name of sounding virtuous.

I't's not stupid really; it's trying to save animals lives. You can go to the sales adds in the papers for a purebred or a mix.

Regulating puppy mills directly would be great as well. How much law enforcement time would we like to allocate or pay additional? I'd pay a little extra tax to help animal cops crack down on horror breeders.

Pet stores are easier, though. Everyone knows where they are.
All this law does is shift demand to suppliers other than pet stores, or to pet stores across the border.

I't's not stupid really; it's trying to save animals lives. You can go to the sales adds in the papers for a purebred or a mix.
There are millions of stupid ways one can go about trying to save animals' lives. The fact that your intentions are good doesn't make it a good law.

All this law does is shift demand to suppliers other than pet stores, or to pet stores across the border.

There will be no shortage of $1500 cockapoos. There will be less overproduction, which is clearly represented in state costs to clean up. That cost will decide success or failure.

Back
Top Bottom