• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Stewart discusses Obama reaction to BP oil spill

I thought it was overly harsh (I'm a huge fan of The Daily and not a democrat). Just like Katrina, I blame the State and Local governments. In that case and in this, they failed to have proper preparation and failed to respond well. The government of Louisiana and the MMS office in New Orleans (a)greed to this rig knowing full well that:

1. There was a $75m liability limit in place via Clinton.
2. The rig was deep (5000 ft).
3. They had no real expertise or means of regulation or response.

The trade-off in the liability limit was that the government could choose where companies can drill, via approval. The government entered into this contract as aware as anyone who signed an adjustable rate mortgage for 3x their income at the height of the market. Now, who will it blame for being an uninformed consumer?

I'm not putting much of this on the Feds. The same people as last disaster are responsible.

Last edited:
I thought it was overly harsh (I'm a huge fan of The Daily and not a democrat). Just like Katrina, I blame the State and Local governments. In that case and in this, they failed to have proper preparation and failed to respond well. The government of Louisiana and the MMS office in New Orleans (a)greed to this rig knowing full well that:

1. There was a $75m liability limit in place via Clinton.
2. The rig was deep (5000 ft).
3. They had no real expertise or means of regulation or response.

The trade-off in the liability limit was that the government could choose where companies can drill, via approval. The government entered into this contract as aware as anyone who signed an adjustable rate mortgage for 3x their income at the height of the market. Now, who will it blame for being an uninformed consumer?

I'm not putting much of this on the Feds. The same people as last disaster are responsible.

So you don't think maybe BP holds some responsibility?

They thought they could pull it off and the governement gave them the (explicit and specific) go-ahead. One is in charge of trying and the other in charge of regulating (and protecting the public safety). BP might have been unethical (and if so, the extent is debatable). The State and Local governments certainly were inept.

I guess Nagin got his "chocolate city".

Last edited:
Anybody hear about Boudreaux and Thibodeaux being hired to clean pelicans on the gulf?

They thought they could pull it off and the governement gave them the (explicit and specific) go-ahead. One is in charge of trying and the other in charge of regulating (and protecting the public safety). BP might have been unethical (and if so, the extent is debatable). The State and Local governments certainly were inept.

I guess Nagin got his "chocolate city".

With the rate of expression from the drill site and the ever increasing amount of Oil drifting ashore, i have no doubt that it will soon be the color of chocolate, unfortunately not the Aroma.

Just so you are in no doubt as to my feelings

BP is responsible as are it's partners in this drill site.

What should happen as soon as the drill hole is permanently plugged, is that BP should as a company be expelled from operating any oil relate company within US Territory, they (BP) have clearly shown over many years their complete disdain of regulations and safety standards.

Last edited:
I thought it was pretty good.

Stewart is a left wing shill who never attacks Obama! :ssst:

Back
Top Bottom