• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Statue Of A Homeless Jesus Startles A Wealthy Community

TacticalEvilDan

Shankmasta Killa
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
A new religious statue in the town of Davidson, N.C., is unlike anything you might see in church.

The statue depicts Jesus as a vagrant sleeping on a park bench. St. Alban's Episcopal Church installed the homeless Jesus statue on its property in the middle of an upscale neighborhood filled with well-kept townhomes.

Jesus is huddled under a blanket with his face and hands obscured; only the crucifixion wounds on his uncovered feet give him away.

The reaction was immediate. Some loved it; some didn't.

"One woman from the neighborhood actually called police the first time she drove by," says David Boraks, editor of DavidsonNews.net. "She thought it was an actual homeless person."

http://www.npr.org/2014/04/13/302019921/statue-of-a-homeless-jesus-startles-a-wealthy-community

I snickered when I read the underlined portion. I wonder if she's a member of that or any other Church, and why it occurs to her that it is appropriate to summon the gendarmes in response to someone sleeping on a bench.

At any rate, I don't think there's anything in particular to debate here, I just found it interesting and wanted to share.

Seems to me that this depiction of Jesus is far more accurate than any of the gilt-edged, polished, painted things that grace many houses of worship.

Well, Jesus was a homeless preacher.

Do we know why she called the police? Could it have been out of concern? Probably not, but may be.
Next question.
How many people can you feed for $ 22, 000?

Jesus being homeless isn't big news though, but its good to be reminded that what we so treasure on earth is only temporary, and whether we live in a castle or out on the street, we are born, we live and we die, and while here on earth we do have to make one very important decision, and yes, Christ is the answer.

20 Jesus replied, “Foxes have dens, and birds have nests. But the Son of Man doesn’t have a place to call his own.”
Matthew 8:20 (CEV)

Ahahaha... Dumb bitch called the cops on jesus. What a snob.

Statue Of A Homeless Jesus Startles A Wealthy Community : NPR

I snickered when I read the underlined portion. I wonder if she's a member of that or any other Church, and why it occurs to her that it is appropriate to summon the gendarmes in response to someone sleeping on a bench.

At any rate, I don't think there's anything in particular to debate here, I just found it interesting and wanted to share.

Seems to me that this depiction of Jesus is far more accurate than any of the gilt-edged, polished, painted things that grace many houses of worship.

You may appreciate this Chris Rice song:

"When we touch the sick and needy, we touch the suffering body of Christ." Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Last edited:
Mixed feelings. On the one hand, I get the point and it is well taken... the church wants people to remember Jesus' concern for the poor and downtrodden.

On the other hand, the only thing marking this as a statue of Christ is the stigmata on the exposed feet... perhaps a bit overly subtle? Many wouldn't "get" what they were looking at unless they examined the statue carefully up close.

Personally I've always felt a bit uneasy about statuary depicting Jesus anyway... the prohibition on 'graven images' as idols makes me wonder if that sort of thing is really proper.

I understand your uneasiness, Goshin. But I have a Crucifix that I inherited from my mother, who inherited it from her grandmother, and when I look at it, I am reminded of the greatest gift (and surely most undeserved!!) ever given to humankind.

Do we know why she called the police? Could it have been out of concern? Probably not, but may be.

Could've been, I don't rightly care -- there are plenty of other reactions from the community that make my point, including a DavidsonNews.net editorial:

‘Homeless Jesus’ has no place in our neighborhood*|*DavidsonNews.net

How many people can you feed for $ 22, 000?

Probably quite a few, but that's a better argument against erecting a church to begin with. Besides, we have no idea how much this particular church does in terms of charity, nor is it our business. We're not talking about a gold-plated Lexus, we're talking about a reminder that is materially relevant to the religion in question.

On the other hand, the only thing marking this as a statue of Christ is the stigmata on the exposed feet... perhaps a bit overly subtle? Many wouldn't "get" what they were looking at unless they examined the statue carefully up close.

I think it's safe to say that word got around quickly enough as to what that statue is all about. :)

Statue Of A Homeless Jesus Startles A Wealthy Community : NPR

Forbid the thought of those self titled "Christians" being reminded of what that doctrine actually directs them to do. (New Testament)

Forbid the thought of those self titled "Christians" being reminded of what that doctrine actually directs them to do. (New Testament)

*checks watch*

Time for faith baiting already? Some of the most judgmental people on this forum are not "Christian". In fact, often it's "liberals" who, you know, are very "tolerant".

*checks watch*

Time for faith baiting already? Some of the most judgmental people on this forum are not "Christian". In fact, often it's "liberals" who, you know, are very "tolerant".

You never seem to get the FACT that there are members of every group that behave in a way that is detrimental to that group. Referencing those people does not mean that someone is holding the whole group accountable for the actions of some extremists within that group. In other words, you can not deny that three are many people who claim to be christians but behave in a very non-christian manner. That doesn't mean that every christian is a hypocrite it means that some are. Get it?

You never seem to get the FACT that there are members of every group that behave in a way that is detrimental to that group. Referencing those people does not mean that someone is holding the whole group accountable for the actions of some extremists within that group. In other words, you can not deny that three are many people who claim to be christians but behave in a very non-christian manner. That doesn't mean that every christian is a hypocrite it means that some are. Get it?

It's true, some are.

However, many are not. Most soup kitchens, food pantries for the poor, and homeless shelters are sponsored and/or run by a local church... this list shows at least 11 of 16 being church-run...

http://www.dhcd.maryland.gov/Website/About/PublicInfo/Publications/Documents/Pantries_and_Soup_Kitchens_2005_mod_6April2009.pdf

It's true, some are.

However, many are not. Most soup kitchens, food pantries for the poor, and homeless shelters are sponsored and/or run by a local church... this list shows at least 11 of 16 being church-run...

http://www.dhcd.maryland.gov/Website/About/PublicInfo/Publications/Documents/Pantries_and_Soup_Kitchens_2005_mod_6April2009.pdf

Thanks for that G.

As for the list of churches that do charitable work. I have not doubt but I'm really talking about individual members not the churches.

Just as you cannot deny that there are those who claim to be "tolerant" but aren't. I am curious which "Christians" you were referring to and how you know they're actually really bad people?

I don't have a big problem with the worshiping of Jesus sacrifice for our lives, especially in the manner of the cross, crucifixion or church relics. But the purposeful use of a political message to make a point is a little disingenuous.

If someone wants to make a speech about how Jesus preached help the poor, then I'm on board. But not using a statue for shock value, which is in poor taste.

The woman who called the police is a jerk.

I hate it when some churches attempt to inject politics into the Jesus narrative.

What types of statues should we expect next?

Jesus the illegal alien
Jesus who works at a fast food restaurant
Jesus the underpaid female office worker
Jesus the cop with an unfunded pension plan
Jesus the unemployed Detroit auto worker
Jesus the struggling school teacher
Jesus the student who can't pay his student loans
Jesus being bullied on a school bus
Jesus the Al Sharpton

Just as you cannot deny that there are those who claim to be "tolerant" but aren't.
So you're agreeing with me?

I am curious which "Christians" you were referring to and how you know they're actually really bad people?
I never said they were bad people. I said some of them display hypocrisy when they display behaviors that are such an obvious contraction to the scripture they claim to follow.

You know a person isn't necessarily a bad person because they have bad a bad choice.

I don't have a big problem with the worshiping of Jesus sacrifice for our lives, especially in the manner of the cross, crucifixion or church relics. But the purposeful use of a political message to make a point is a little disingenuous.

If someone wants to make a speech about how Jesus preached help the poor, then I'm on board. But not using a statue for shock value, which is in poor taste.

The woman who called the police is a jerk.

I think every downtrodden type you can think of should be made into a jesus statue. UAV dropping a bomb on Jesus. Baby jesus beign aborted in the womb. Starving african baby jesus. Sex slave jesus that will end in a 2,000 dollar snuff transaction. Wrong prescription Jesus. Gangster jesus shot in the back. Whatever.

Back
Top Bottom