• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

South Dakota governor signs law to allow concealed handguns without a permit

Yeah, Maine began respecting the Constitution in 2015. It still pisses me off, though, that I had to pay for a Maine CCW permit during the many years I was still a resident there. Kids nowadays have it easy....

Now, if only Constitutional carry were national......

I'm of the opinion that such decisions should be left up to the individual states.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-...gns-law-allowing-concealed-handguns-without-a

South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem (R) on Thursday signed a law allowing residents to carry concealed handguns without a permit.

Noem, who just entered office earlier this month, signed the bill repealing the permit requirement that was passed by the state legislature, The Argus Leader reported.
=======================================
SD returning to its Wild West roots? No permit requirement for carrying a concealed handgun is intended to be controversial.

He doesnt have the power to 'allow' people to do something they already have the right to do. He should be signing a law which removes any state restrictions on bearing arms.

I'm of the opinion that such decisions should be left up to the individual states.

Your opinion noted. Personally, I am of the opinion that such decisions should be taken out of the hands of any government entities, and returned to the hands of law-abiding adult individuals.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-...gns-law-allowing-concealed-handguns-without-a

South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem (R) on Thursday signed a law allowing residents to carry concealed handguns without a permit.

Noem, who just entered office earlier this month, signed the bill repealing the permit requirement that was passed by the state legislature, The Argus Leader reported.
SD returning to its Wild West roots? No permit requirement for carrying a concealed handgun is intended to be controversial.

The American Taliban grows by the day.

All states have criminals carrying guns without permits. Why be afraid of honest people?

Your opinion noted. Personally, I am of the opinion that such decisions should be taken out of the hands of any government entities, and returned to the hands of law-abiding adult individuals.

I understand your point. Still my greatest fear is having the power to regulate firearms at the federal level. That represents the greatest threat to 2nd amendment rights extant.

I believe this country has reached a tipping point. The oligarchy that controls most of the wealth in this country have packed this country with enough foreign nationals to control the presidency and soon enough congress for boot. That’s when we’ll lose pretty much all the rights the founders had intended for us.

I understand your point. Still my greatest fear is having the power to regulate firearms at the federal level. That represents the greatest threat to 2nd amendment rights extant.

That ship has sailed. The Federal government has already usurped many powers not granted under the constitution, and I see no end in sight. The people (and not just immigrants) seem happy to have the government be the solution to all problems, with the Fed leading the list.

I believe this country has reached a tipping point. The oligarchy that controls most of the wealth in this country have packed this country with enough foreign nationals to control the presidency and soon enough congress for boot. That’s when we’ll lose pretty much all the rights the founders had intended for us.

Sorry, but this country was built on immigrants, most of whom support the rule of law, and love the extraordinary opportunity for social and financial mobility we still have here. The oligarchy of which you speak will continue to slowly chip away at limits imposed by the Constitution, as you have inferred. They don't need foreign nationals to continue their quest.

That ship has sailed. The Federal government has already usurped many powers not granted under the constitution, and I see no end in sight. The people (and not just immigrants) seem happy to have the government be the solution to all problems, with the Fed leading the list.

Yup.

Sorry, but this country was built on immigrants, most of whom support the rule of law, and love the extraordinary opportunity for social and financial mobility we still have here. The oligarchy of which you speak will continue to slowly chip away at limits imposed by the Constitution, as you have inferred. They don't need foreign nationals to continue their quest.

Immigrants from Western Europe infused with the concept of classical liberalism. Today’s immigrants largely come from countries that range from highly restrictive and intrusive to outright dictatorships that prey on this populations.

These immigrants like the idea of a powerful central government that “helps” people. Their votes are being “bought” with programs that promotes the hiring of, public assistance for, special laws for, demographics that vote for the Democratic Party.

All this for the purpose of supporting the economy interests of transnational corporations and the interests here that need/demand rock bottom wages for profit.

As for just how “lawful” these immigrants that’s an entirely different issue. However a time you want to start a thread on the subject....I’m your daisy.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/depa...-release-quarterly-alien-incarceration-report

Immigration Status of All Convicted Aliens Incarcerated in State Prisons and Local Detention Centers Throughout the United States

Some state and local jurisdictions already take proactive measures to make this data available to the public. For example, the Texas Department of Public Safety publishes data online regarding criminal alien arrests and convictions. These data do not account for all aliens in the Texas criminal justice system, as they are limited to criminal alien arrestees who have had prior interaction with DHS resulting in the collection of their fingerprints.

As reported by the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS), 251,000 criminal aliens have been booked into local Texas jails between June 1, 2011 and April 30, 2018, according to DHS status indicators. These criminal aliens were charged with:

More than 663,000 criminal offenses;
1,351 homicides;
7,156 sexual assaults;
9,938 weapons charges;
79,049 assaults;
18,685 burglaries;
79,900 drug charges;
815 kidnappings;
44,882 thefts;
4,292 robberies.

Gangbangers love this movement throughout the states. One less thing to get arrested for.

Yup.

Immigrants from Western Europe infused with the concept of classical liberalism.

Well, some of them, anyway.

Today’s immigrants largely come from countries that range from highly restrictive and intrusive to outright dictatorships that prey on this populations.

That description includes most of the rest of the world.

These immigrants like the idea of a powerful central government that “helps” people. Their votes are being “bought” with programs that promotes the hiring of, public assistance for, special laws for, demographics that vote for the Democratic Party.

Now, as in the past, there are a wide variety of philosophies amongst immigrants. Personally, I believe the native born Americans are much more willing to rely on Uncle Sam to solve all of their problems.

All this for the purpose of supporting the economy interests of transnational corporations and the interests here that need/demand rock bottom wages for profit.

Your opinion noted.

I think we can agree that one big problem is that the principles embodied in the US Constitution (limited powers, specifically enumerated) are being ignored. From your writings, I guess I am probably more leery than you are of allowing the State governments to assume these powers. For me, I would prefer the un-enumerated powers remain with the people, and not with the States.

I don't know how you can make those types of second amendment assertions with a straight face; I really don't. Nowhere has the second amendment, as it stands, been threatened by any legislation or department of the federal or any state government. Gun laws are as old as this country and you're just going to have to include Republicans, the 10th Amendment and the conservative darling Justice Antonin Scalia. This ":sky is falling" paranoia is political BS made up by the NRA and the gun industry to keep right-wingers in a constant state of upset while pandering to a phony sense of patriotism all designed to push product. It all has zero to do with either patriotism or saving the second amendment.

Gangbangers love this movement throughout the states. One less thing to get arrested for.
Actually it's illegal for known gang members or gang associates to carry a firearm, permit or no permit. Try again.

Actually it's illegal for known gang members or gang associates to carry a firearm, permit or no permit. Try again.

wrong-being a KNOWN gang member is not one of the prohibited classes under 18 USC 922. If you are not under indictment, not a fugitive, not a felon or you haven't a domestic violence misdemeanor, etc you aren't banned.

wrong-being a KNOWN gang member is not one of the prohibited classes under 18 USC 922. If you are not under indictment, not a fugitive, not a felon or you haven't a domestic violence misdemeanor, etc you aren't banned.
Not that there's a big gang problem in SD in the first place, but having lived there some time back I can tell you that most gang members become known to law enforcement via arrest of disqualifying offenses. That's how SDPD came to know a person as a gang member in the first place, but you seem to think I made a claim about legal clasifications, which is not a corect assessment of my post. LEOs literally have a large book of gang mugshots and if your's is in it, you can't possess a firearm under any circumstances. I'm not splitting hairs with you on this especially given your history of never, not ever, backing up a single thing you say. Good evening :)

Last edited:
The 'wild west' never left SD. As the final resting place of virtually every 'wild west' gunslinger such as Billy the Kid, home of Deadwood, the international Sturgis Bike Rally, and the Lacota and Suix tribes, South Dakotans take pride in their 'wild west' heritage.

Billy The Kid is buried in New Mexico.

Freedom returns to more of the country. As a democrat I think we should restrict the rights of the law abiding to stop the criminals from breaking our laws. It is the right thing to do. It is easier to pass laws restricting the rights of the law abiding than go after the criminals who actually violate our laws. Especially if we create sanctuary cities and states for them.

How is a permit going to stop a criminal from carrying a gun?

It won't. It will however turn a right into a government granted privilege. You will no longer have a right but must ask permission from mommy and daddy I mean the Government. You know like when you were child. The people passing these laws treat us as children.

Not that there's a big gang problem in SD in the first place, but having lived there some time back I can tell you that most gang members become known to law enforcement via arrest of disqualifying offenses. That's how SDPD came to know a person as a gang member in the first place, but you seem to think I made a claim about legal clasifications, which is not a corect assessment of my post. LEOs literally have a large book of gang mugshots and if your's is in it, you can't possess a firearm under any circumstances. I'm not splitting hairs with you on this especially given your history of never, not ever, backing up a single thing you say. Good evening :)

I don't back things

here read this 18 USC 922 or get a copy of a 4473. both list the disqualifying features

being a "gang member" without any of those is not disqualifying.

See I proved my claim-your turn

How is a permit going to stop a criminal from carrying a gun?

same way requiring a prescription will stop addicts from buying Oxy or Heroin

I actually think open carry without a permit is much more controversial, especially in towns and cities.

Back
Top Bottom