• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

South Dakota governor signs law to allow concealed handguns without a permit

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-...gns-law-allowing-concealed-handguns-without-a

South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem (R) on Thursday signed a law allowing residents to carry concealed handguns without a permit.

Noem, who just entered office earlier this month, signed the bill repealing the permit requirement that was passed by the state legislature, The Argus Leader reported.
=======================================
SD returning to its Wild West roots? No permit requirement for carrying a concealed handgun is intended to be controversial.
In AZ this passed a long time ago. We were promised blood in the streets, huge gun crime increases and general anarchy by the Democrats. None of that happened, even less will happen in the middle of nowhere SD.

They should make a law against repetitive billboards Wall drug assaults everyone driving into the state.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

In AZ this passed a long time ago. We were promised blood in the streets, huge gun crime increases and general anarchy by the Democrats. None of that happened, even less will happen in the middle of nowhere SD.

They should make a law against repetitive billboards Wall drug assaults everyone driving into the state.

When Minnesota passed shall issue CCW in 2003 we heard the same doom and gloom prophecies.

True that, it IS South Dakota, so like you I don't expect the sky to fall.

I don't back things

here read this 18 USC 922 or get a copy of a 4473. both list the disqualifying features

being a "gang member" without any of those is not disqualifying.

See I proved my claim-your turn
I said the LEOs in SD come to know you as a gang member by arresting you. I said they, SD LEOs, literaly have books filled with mug shots of known gang members.

You can keep quoting federal law all day long and it won't refute anything I've said. The 4473 doesn't alter the books of mug shots.

Last edited:
I actually think open carry without a permit is much more controversial, especially in towns and cities.
We've had it here in Ohio for years and it's not a problem.

Funny thing, the law. Here in Ohio you can open carry all you like. You can buy a gun from a private seller and strap it to your belt and go about the town. No background checks, no fingerprints, no training.

But as soon as you sit down in your car, or put on a jacket, all of a sudden you need to have classes and fingerprints and all sorts of nonsense.

So 'Constitutional Carry' not so much about rights as it is about getting rid of needles state money-grabs.

If the Left were actually concerned about training and not merely harassing gun owners, then they would push mandatory 40hr live-fire with shoot/no-shoot training under stress, with annual requalification. Anything less than that is just a money-grab.

Last edited:
I said the LEOs in SD come to know you as a gang member by arresting you. I said they, SD LEOs, literaly have books filled with mug shots of known gang members.

You can keep quoting federal law all day long and it won't refute anything I've said. The 4473 doesn't alter the books of mug shots.

so in your mind-an arrest without a conviction would prevent someone from legally owning a gun. Here in Ohio I should look for such cases-it would be a lucrative practice to represent people with clean records-the cops would be liable under 42 USC 1983-deprivation of constitutional rights under the color of state law. punitive damages for such things are rather lucrative.

Incorrect.

so tell me-how is being a gang member without any 18 USC 922 disqualifying characteristics, deprive one of owning a gun

so tell me-how is being a gang member without any 18 USC 922 disqualifying characteristics, deprive one of owning a gun
Covered that already. If you're a gang member and take a ride in the back seat, they'll take your guns and make you sue to get them back. You could be released 2 hours later with no charges filed and your guns will remain in the evidence vault. You can argue the technical aspects of the law all you like but the net result on the street is that if you're in a gang, you can't possess a gun.

Last edited:
Actually it's illegal for known gang members or gang associates to carry a firearm, permit or no permit. Try again.

that is 100% false. unless you think all KKK and mafia guys can't get licenses. even the brand new ones that have never done anything wrong yet.

Covered that already. If you're a gang member and take a ride in the back seat, they'll take your guns and make you sue to get them back. You could be released 2 hours later with no charges filed and your guns will remain in the evidence vault. You can argue the technical aspects of the law all you like but the net result on the street is that if you're in a gang, you can't possess a gun.

Is this legal behavior on the part of the authorities?

that is 100% false. unless you think all KKK and mafia guys can't get licenses. even the brand new ones that have never done anything wrong yet.
There was no KKK presence in SD when I was there 15-20 years ago. Times may have changed.

Is this legal behavior on the part of the authorities?
I don't know if it's legal but they get away with it. My point is that this is how it is on the street, technical points of law being irrelevant regarding police behavior. See, police can overtly perform an illegal activity so long as they can provide some kind of flimsy evidence in favor of "acting in good faith" SD is one of the most corupt states in the union and people don't even know. It's quite the reacket.

I don't know if it's legal but they get away with it. My point is that this is how it is on the street, technical points of law being irrelevant regarding police behavior. See, police can overtly perform an illegal activity so long as they can provide some kind of flimsy evidence in favor of "acting in good faith" SD is one of the most corupt states in the union and people don't even know. It's quite the reacket.

Is this universal across the US, ie , does this happen every single time?

Is this universal across the US, ie , does this happen every single time?
I don't have experience in every state to say. I lived in SD for a couple years, that doesn't give me the authority to speak on other states which I haven't lived in. This thread is about SD spicificaly, so I provided my experiences.

There was no KKK presence in SD when I was there 15-20 years ago. Times may have changed.

i was speaking of gangbangers, KKK and mafia throughout the the country (since this law isn't just in SD).

btw...

population of South Dakota = 869k
population of metro Miami = 5 million

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-...gns-law-allowing-concealed-handguns-without-a

South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem (R) on Thursday signed a law allowing residents to carry concealed handguns without a permit.

Noem, who just entered office earlier this month, signed the bill repealing the permit requirement that was passed by the state legislature, The Argus Leader reported.
=======================================
SD returning to its Wild West roots? No permit requirement for carrying a concealed handgun is intended to be controversial.

Good.You shouldn't need a permit to exercise a Constitutional right.

Actually it's illegal for known gang members or gang associates to carry a firearm, permit or no permit. Try again.

It's not for gang member who are clean and used as security. Gangs do it all the time.

It's not for gang member who are clean and used as security. Gangs do it all the time.

yep but people are innocent until proven guilty

It's not for gang member who is clean and used as security. Gangs do it all the time.
If they're clean then they can get permits anyway, so what was your argument?

Back
Top Bottom