• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Some Republicans want to oust a Muslim doctor from his GOP leadership role — because he’s Muslim

Yea, I am surprised the Klan survived being excluded as the militant wing of the Democrat party.
For the most part the Republicans do not tolerate that type of BS.

Do not tolerate it? That was the whole basis of Nixon's southern strategy: a dog whistle to the racists to leave the Democratic party.

Just ask the Republican strategists of the time:

"From now on, the Republicans are never going to get more than 10 to 20 percent of the Negro vote and they don't need any more than that... but Republicans would be shortsighted if they weakened enforcement of the Voting Rights Act. The more Negroes who register as Democrats in the South, the sooner the Negrophobe whites will quit the Democrats and become Republicans. That's where the votes are. Without that prodding from the blacks, the whites will backslide into their old comfortable arrangement with the local Democrats."
-Kevin Philips, Republican strategist for Richard Nixon, 1970

Interview with Lee Atwater in 1980:

Atwater: As to the whole Southern strategy that Harry Dent and others put together in 1968, opposition to the Voting Rights Act would have been a central part of keeping the South. Now [Reagan] doesn't have to do that. All you have to do to keep the South is for Reagan to run in place on the issues he's campaigned on since 1964 [...] and that's fiscal conservatism, balancing the budget, cut taxes, you know, the whole cluster...

Questioner: But the fact is, isn't it, that Reagan does get to the Wallace voter and to the racist side of the Wallace voter by doing away with legal services, by cutting down on food stamps?

Atwater: Y'all don't quote me on this. You start out in 1954 by saying, "Nigger, nigger, nigger." By 1968 you can't say "nigger" — that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like forced busing, states' rights and all that stuff. You're getting so abstract now [that] you're talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you're talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is [that] blacks get hurt worse than whites. And subconsciously maybe that is part of it. I'm not saying that. But I'm saying that if it is getting that abstract, and that coded, that we are doing away with the racial problem one way or the other. You follow me — because obviously sitting around saying, "We want to cut this," is much more abstract than even the busing thing, and a hell of a lot more abstract than "Nigger, nigger."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_strategy

The Civil Rights Act and the Voting Rights Act were passed by a Democratic Congress and signed by a Democratic president. At that time, the Democratic Party was essentially split, the liberal northern wing vs the conservative segregationist southern "Dixiecrats". It's true that these two bills passed with a combination of Liberal Democrats and Republicans who together outflanked the Dixiecrats. To deny the Democratic leadership in the integration of the south and the enfranchisement of its' African American population is dishonest.
LOL.

Wow, ya need to do some more reading... not just rely on what your lib teachers "taught" and omitted teaching you in public school. But you have a partial understanding at least.

Aware that it was under Eisenhower [R] that the US passed our first Voting and Civil Rights Acts since 1875 with all Republican Senators voting for both, overwhelming majorities of Republicans in the House? Way way different on the Democrat side of the aisle with LBJ trying to throw a wrench in the works and did make the CR Act of 1957 toothless requiring the Republicans to come back in 1960 with the VR Act.

Aware that it was Eisenhower [R] that sent federal troops into a Southern State uninvited first time since the Civil War... into Little Rock to protect and ensure integration, that Nixon did way more integration in the South than JFK or LBJ together accomplished?

Chew on those for a while.

Do not tolerate it? That was the whole basis of Nixon's southern strategy: a dog whistle to the racists to leave the Democratic party.

Just ask the Republican strategists of the time:

Interview with Lee Atwater in 1980:
Why stop the quote there? Don't like the rest of what Atwater revealed?

Says the Democrat party of the KKK and Jim Crow, and the party who fought to keep slavery. Republicans have been way ahead of you for decades, if not centuries.

The number of conservatives on this site who threw hissy fits over the removal of monuments to white supremacy and the slaver scumbags who murdered hundreds of thousands of American soldiers and sailors says otherwise.

Lincoln would be appalled at what the Republican Party has turned into.

LOL.

Wow, ya need to do some more reading... not just rely on what your lib teachers "taught" and omitted teaching you in public school. But you have a partial understanding at least.

Aware that it was under Eisenhower [R] that the US passed our first Voting and Civil Rights Acts since 1875 with all Republican Senators voting for both, overwhelming majorities of Republicans in the House? Way way different on the Democrat side of the aisle with LBJ trying to throw a wrench in the works and did make the CR Act of 1957 toothless requiring the Republicans to come back in 1960 with the VR Act.

Aware that it was Eisenhower [R] that sent federal troops into a Southern State uninvited first time since the Civil War... into Little Rock to protect and ensure integration, that Nixon did way more integration in the South than JFK or LBJ together accomplished?

Chew on those for a while.
Your history has some gaping holes in it. Chew on that for a while.
https://www.britannica.com/event/Voting-Rights-Act
In the 1950s and early 1960s the U.S. Congress enacted laws to protect the right of African Americans to vote, but such legislation was only partially successful. In 1964 the Civil Rights Act was passed and the Twenty-fourth Amendment, abolishing poll taxes for voting for federal offices, was ratified, and the following year President Lyndon B. Johnson called for the implementation of comprehensive federal legislation to protect voting rights. The resulting act, the Voting Rights Act, suspended literacy tests, provided for federal approval of proposed changes to voting laws or procedures (“preclearance”) in jurisdictions that had previously used tests to determine voter eligibility (these areas were covered under Sections 4 and 5 of the legislation), and directed the attorney general of the United States to challenge the use of poll taxes for state and local elections. An expansion of the law in the 1970s also protected voting rights for non-English-speaking U.S. citizens. Sections 4 and 5 were extended for 5 years in 1970, 7 years in 1975, and 25 years in both 1982 and 2006.

The number of conservatives on this site who threw hissy fits over the removal of monuments to white supremacy and the slaver scumbags who murdered hundreds of thousands of American soldiers and sailors says otherwise.

Lincoln would be appalled at what the Republican Party has turned into.

The Klanbake would have made him weep.

Why stop the quote there? Don't like the rest of what Atwater revealed?

If it supports your position, why don't you post it yourself and blow him out of the water? You can't though because that was the whole quote. Maybe you didn't know that because you didn't bother to actually click on the link.

I look forward to you getting up in arms the next time Democrat Senators claim that someone being devoutly Catholic means they won't make a good judge.
Do you support his removal?
I am looking forwards to where that has happened in my past postings.

Staying classy I see.

I am sure their are racists/bigots in the Democratic Party. They normally keep it hidden. That is not the case here.

Your history has some gaping holes in it. Chew on that for a while.
https://www.britannica.com/event/Voting-Rights-Act
In the 1950s and early 1960s the U.S. Congress enacted laws to protect the right of African Americans to vote, but such legislation was only partially successful. In 1964 the Civil Rights Act was passed and the Twenty-fourth Amendment, abolishing poll taxes for voting for federal offices, was ratified, and the following year President Lyndon B. Johnson called for the implementation of comprehensive federal legislation to protect voting rights. The resulting act, the Voting Rights Act, suspended literacy tests, provided for federal approval of proposed changes to voting laws or procedures (“preclearance”) in jurisdictions that had previously used tests to determine voter eligibility (these areas were covered under Sections 4 and 5 of the legislation), and directed the attorney general of the United States to challenge the use of poll taxes for state and local elections. An expansion of the law in the 1970s also protected voting rights for non-English-speaking U.S. citizens. Sections 4 and 5 were extended for 5 years in 1970, 7 years in 1975, and 25 years in both 1982 and 2006.
Quite familiar, I taught it for years.

That said, my party voted in the upper 80s- 90s percentiles in both houses on both bills making them law. Dems had nowhere near those percentages in both houses on both bills.

More moderate integration continued at a steady pace, and more schools were desegregated during Nixon's first term in office than in all previous administrations combined.

https://www.apstudynotes.org/us-history/topics/nixon-and-domestic-issues/

Used to find confirmation of that on the PBS American Experience site, but they are hiding that fact better and better all the time.

I disagree, Trump is actually a moderate, extreme elements may think his rhetoric favors their disillusion,
but in reality his rhetoric is most just that. ( I think Trump like to hear himself talk!) perhaps a bit too much.

The only moderate thing about Trump is his IQ.

Says the Democrat party of the KKK and Jim Crow, and the party who fought to keep slavery. Republicans have been way ahead of you for decades, if not centuries.

Um, no. Republicans were way ahead when the Democratic Party represented the South. Despite racism existing in the North too, the abolitionists sat within the Republican side. And the Compromise of 1870 did pave the way for the Democratic Party to codify Jim Crow. But this flipped over the course of the twentieth century. By the late nineteenth-century, the Republican Party had gravitated towards big business and during the Great Depression the workers and Unions began to be associated with the left, and thus more within Roosevelt's New Deal Democrat Party.

After WWII, the Republican Party came to represent the South. This new representation began in the 1950s when white conservative Christians began to form the base of the new GOP right before the Civil Right's Marches of the 1960s. Liberals and minorities increasingly gravitated towards the Democrat Party, especially as Johnson's Great Society came to represent the Democratic Party's social goals.

You know what the constant has been? The South's condensed and institutional racism. It simply went from being represented through the Democrats to the Republicans. Long gone is the idea of Lincoln's Party. There's a reason the Nazi-wannabes and the white supremacists are among the Right, where the GOP umbrella provides comfort. And who did they all show up for to offer very loud and enthusiastic support in 2016? They certainly weren't there in 2008 or 2012 for the man they called an African-born monkey Arab with terrorist sympathies. They weren't there for Bush either. No, after eight years of stomaching a black White House, they cheered for the Republican white guy, who spewed hate, was a birther himself, and had embraced Steve Bannon.

The idea that "Republicans have been way ahead...for decades, if not centuries," is delusional. That history is long gone.

Last edited:
Do you support his removal?

Not on those grounds. I'll admit to not knowing his competency, but I oppose religious tests when Democrats demand them, and when Republicans do so.

I am looking forwards to where that has happened in my past postings.

Interesting. So I ought to be able to find you castigating Feinstein, Sanders, etc.?

Not on those grounds. I'll admit to not knowing his competency, but I oppose religious tests when Democrats demand them, and when Republicans do so.

Interesting. So I ought to be able to find you castigating Feinstein, Sanders, etc.?

Regarding? Religious tests?

Regarding? Religious tests?

Indeed. Just as one's Muslim faith does not constitute a barrier to public office, neither does one's Christian faith.

If it supports your position, why don't you post it yourself and blow him out of the water? You can't though because that was the whole quote. Maybe you didn't know that because you didn't bother to actually click on the link.
Wrong...and by your post, lazily enjoying that naivete wrong... you mean you have really never looked this up and you say that kinda crap? Seriously?

"You start out in 1954, by saying n*****, n*****, n*****. By 1968, you can’t say n*****, that hurts you, back-fires. So you say stuff like forced busing, states rights, and all that stuff and you’re getting so abstract. Now you’re talking about cutting taxes. We want to cut this is much more abstract than even the busing thing and a hell of a lot more abstract than n*****, n*****."

That part had already been posted, edited, clever and cunningly leaving out what Atwater was actually getting at, here is just a bit more from the same Atwater interview:

From 1954 through 1966, race was THE issue [in the South]. …

In 1980, I think the crucial thing in 1980 is, the two dominant issues in southern politics, which had been race and party–you had to be a Democrat to win–are pretty well resolved. And the main issues became the economy and national defense.

Atwater explained that the “Southern strategy” of the 1970s included, in his view, coded racism, but that there was no racial element in Reagan’s 1980 campaign:

So what you have is two things happening that totally washed away the Southern strategy, the Harry Dent type Southern strategy, and that is, that whole strategy was based, although it was more sophisticated than a Bilbo or a George Wallace, it was nevertheless based on coded racism. The whole thing, busing, we want a Supreme Court judge that won’t have busing, anything you look at can be traced back to the issue [of race], in the old southern strategy. It was not done in a blatantly discriminatory way.

But Reagan did not have to do a southern strategy for two reasons. Number one, race was was not a dominant issue. And number two, the mainstream issues in this campaign had been, quote, southern issues since way back in the sixties. So Reagan goes out and campaigns on the issues of economics and of national defense. The whole campaign was devoid of any kind of racism, any kind of reference. And I’ll tell you another thing you all need to think about, that even surprised me, is the lack of interest, really, the lack of knowledge right now in the South among white voters about the Voting Rights Act.

So the central point that Atwater made in the interview was the exact opposite of the proposition for which liberals have endlessly quoted him."

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2013/06/what-did-lee-atwater-really-say.php

Read it all if you want to know truth, carry on if you want to stay in the dark.

Sorry to burst your unawareness bubble, hope it didn't hurt too bad... but, oh well :shrug:

Last edited:
Indeed. Just as one's Muslim faith does not constitute a barrier to public office, neither does one's Christian faith.

Unless it interferes with their ability to rule upon the laws and Constitution
Now I have no idea of WTH you are up to, so why not spit it all out for me

Quite familiar, I taught it for years.

That said, my party voted in the upper 80s- 90s percentiles in both houses on both bills making them law. Dems had nowhere near those percentages in both houses on both bills.

https://www.apstudynotes.org/us-history/topics/nixon-and-domestic-issues/

Used to find confirmation of that on the PBS American Experience site, but they are hiding that fact better and better all the time.

I've already noted in a previous post that Democrats were at that time split between the liberal Democrats in the north and the conservative Democrats or "Dixiecrats" in the south who voted against the bills. What I find disingenuous is the attempt by conservative posters to characterize the current Democratic as still what it was in the south of the 1950's and '60's.

Wrong...and by your post, lazily enjoying that naivete wrong... you mean you have really never looked this up and you say that kinda crap? Seriously?

"You start out in 1954, by saying n*****, n*****, n*****. By 1968, you can’t say n*****, that hurts you, back-fires. So you say stuff like forced busing, states rights, and all that stuff and you’re getting so abstract. Now you’re talking about cutting taxes. We want to cut this is much more abstract than even the busing thing and a hell of a lot more abstract than n*****, n*****."

That part had already been posted, edited, clever and cunningly leaving out what Atwater was actually getting at, here is just a bit more from the same Atwater interview:

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2013/06/what-did-lee-atwater-really-say.php

Read it all if you want to know truth, carry on if you want to stay in the dark.

Sorry to burst your unawareness bubble, hope it didn't hurt too bad... but, oh well :shrug:

The point of Ataraxia's post was that Nixon's southern strategy was crafted to appeal to southern racists. He used the Atwater quote to confirm this. Your point about Reagan's campaign is actually interesting but you're using it as a deflection.

Back
Top Bottom