• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Somali pirates receive record ransom for ships' release

What a waste of money. It would only motivate further kidnapping such as this.

Amazing how there are grown adults who do not understand the fact that rewarding undesirable behavior results in more undesirable behavior. I hope those who paid the ransoms get more of their ships hijacked and taken hostage. When people do stupid ass **** like this they deserve to have more of this kind of crap happen to them because they put everyone else in danger.

No gives their dog a treat for leaving a deuce on their carpet and the reason for that is because you would send a message to the dog to **** on the carpet if you gave it a treat every time it took a deuce on your carpet.

Last edited:
Gulf of Aden isn't the only piracy hot spot in the world.

And the reasons businessmen pay is simple. It is easier and cheaper. Doesn't risk damage to the cargo
It would cost hundreds of millions to police GOA and the Somali coastline (The longest in the Africa btw :D). When faced with those prices, a 10 million ransom is nothing. Barely a drop in the water and intelligent people pay it.
I wouldn't be shocked if owners have bribed Pirates to leave certain companies/countries alone. Pirates have a tendency to leave some countries alone and go after others.

Gulf of Aden isn't the only piracy hot spot in the world.

And the reasons businessmen pay is simple. It is easier and cheaper. Doesn't risk damage to the cargo
It would cost hundreds of millions to police GOA and the Somali coastline (The longest in the Africa btw :D). When faced with those prices, a 10 million ransom is nothing. Barely a drop in the water and intelligent people pay it.
I wouldn't be shocked if owners have bribed Pirates to leave certain companies/countries alone. Pirates have a tendency to leave some countries alone and go after others.
These companies deserve to have every horrible thing in the world happen to them.I hope these pirates start asking for more and more money. Hopefully judges will eventually start prosecuting these companies. While you think its just companies taking the easy route out these companies are arming the pirates even more and putting others in harms way. This is no different than what Chiquita and other companies did in south American by paying the guerrillas protection money.

Before It's News

In Terrorism-Law Case, Chiquita Points to U.S. - washingtonpost.com

These companies deserve to have every horrible thing in the world happen to them.I hope these pirates start asking for more and more money. Hopefully judges will eventually start prosecuting these companies.

Somali Pirates will not do that.
The reason they are still in business is because the ransom is always reasonable. The pirates business stems from effective negotiations for amounts of money. The Pirates are also clever at business, they understand world economy to the extent where they know as long as they keep the asking prices high enough to make a profit but significantly low enough that it can be argued that it is cheaper to pay the ransom than to fund and mobilize navies or hire private security to patrol or risk the increase of insurance. They will stay in business and continue to be paid :shrug:

Somali Pirates will not do that.
The reason they are still in business is because the ransom is always reasonable. The pirates business stems from effective negotiations for amounts of money. The Pirates are also clever at business, they understand world economy to the extent where they know as long as they keep the asking prices high enough to make a profit but significantly low enough that it can be argued that it is cheaper to pay the ransom than to fund and mobilize navies or hire private security to patrol or risk the increase of insurance. They will stay in business and continue to be paid :shrug:

If you act like a bitch then expect to be treated like a bitch.
They know these companies are cowards who do not mind being punked. So the pirates can afford to be greedy. These companies are only encouraging these pirates to rob them for more money. You should try an experiment at home like rewarding your dog every it leaves a deuce on the floor or if you have kids then reward them every time they do something bad and see if the dog stops leaving a deuce on the floor or if your kids behave more.

If you act like a bitch then expect to be treated like a bitch.
They know these companies are cowards who do not mind being punked. So the pirates can afford to be greedy. These companies are only encouraging these pirates to rob them for more money. You should try an experiment at home like rewarding your dog every it leaves a deuce on the floor or if you have kids then reward them every time they do something bad and see if the dog stops leaving a deuce on the floor or if your kids behave more.

I hate dogs so no way would I allow them near me so I'll pass on the test sorry but I see what you mean lol

Meh, as long as the prices are reasonable. Companies will pay and who can blame them, it's the logical thing to do

Hm, It seems you deliberately did not read it and just missed it :/

One of the posts

OK, you were responding LT there; how could I have possibly known you wanted me to respond to it?

I don't actually disagree with much of it, but I've already said a number of things which respond to it.

OK, you were responding LT there; how could I have possibly known you wanted me to respond to it?

I don't actually disagree with much of it, but I've already said a number of things which respond to it.

No, you are right. My bad, the first line was for LT.
The rest was in general to explain Somali non existent system of Governance.

I hate dogs so no way would I allow them near me so I'll pass on the test sorry but I see what you mean lol

Meh, as long as the prices are reasonable. Companies will pay and who can blame them, it's the logical thing to do

While they are paying these pirates they are arming them with more weapons with the money they give them and risk more harm to those who use the ocean.

While they are paying these pirates they are arming them with more weapons with the money they give them and risk more harm to those who use the ocean.

Business owners just care about their cargo, not everyone else.
Pirates are going to get the money and they are funded by more than the ransoms.

A typical pirate when they get a ransom. A percentage goes to the Bosses (the "big guys" who funded the original operation expecting a return), The Pirates get their share, their clan gets some and finally a percentage is used to bribe officials and the "Government of Somalia". Oh and a bit is put aside for future operations

Don't ask me how I know so much about Somali Pirates
shifty.gif

Back
Top Bottom