• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Should we bring back public executions?

Should we have public executions for our most violent criminals?

• Yes, they deserve to be publically humiliated for their crimes.

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • No, watching evil people being executed is too scary for me to handle.

Votes: 19 65.5%

• Total voters
26 X World Champs said:
So now you're advocating the death penalty for rape, and not only the death penalty, but public execution no less!

So despite the Supreme Court ruling that it would be "Cruel and Unusual Punishment" you would still be OK with acting like you're living in the Middle Ages? We, as Americans should regress back to a time that allowed for public executions because of what, exactly? Revenge? An Eye for an Eye? Are you a sadist that would enjoy being a voyeur at someone's execution?

So anyone who disagrees with you regarding public execution is a "sissy"? Pathetic, again. I think it takes a helluva lot more masculinity to stand up for what is right even if you're defending the worst amongst us!

It's ridiculous to write that people feel sorry for murders, rapists, et al. Talk about an absurd argument! Rage is perfect for you, you know? It means:

He should change his name to "unevolved_Neanderthal". That would be even more fitting.:roll:

2 Points

Executing people because killing people is wrong makes little sense. It is rather like having sex to promote virginity.

Execution does not work as a deterrent to crime in anyone not actually executed. People who commit crimes are not worried about the consequences. People who commit crimes think they are smarter than the criminal justice system and will get away with it. Nobody commits a crime knowing or thinking it is likely they will be caught.

I oppose the death penalty, not because I do not think some scum deserve to die, but simply because I do not trust the government with this power. It is nearly always misused. I eremember in the early 70's when the Supreme Court put a hold on all executions. One of the things the had pointed too was that in the Deep South more Black men had been executed for burglary, than white men had been for murder.

When you add to that the finality of execution and how often it is now found that death row inmates were innocent through DNA testing, it is not worth the risk.

Those for this, will you volunteer to be the first innocent sacrificed to this policy in the name of the greater good? How about one of your kids? If you say no then your continued support of this would be blatant hypocrisy.

jamesrage said:
The thread title did not say anything about executing for minor offenses.Unless you think murder and rapeare minor offenses.

I don't see how public executions will lower the crime rate. If we only perform them for major crimes (i.e. rape, murder), petty offenses will abundantly flourish, as the criminals know they will not be executed for them. You should do yourself a favor, and look into: http://secure.hop.com/index.cfm?AFID=158

Becasue it is hard to drag a electric chair to the middle of town.

Please, so that's why no technologiclly developed nation has utilized this "fantastic idea". Dude, you're ******* in the wind.

At least I am not some sissy who feals sorry for these vermin.

Where did this preposterous, bumptious, imprudent averment originate from?

Actually, we should put all of the death row inmates in a gladitorial battle to the death. The last man/woman standing gets off of death row and placed in prison for life w/out the possibility of parole.

Aye, how the blood bath would be a glorious thing to watch. And it would ease up on taxes that would normally go to feeding these people. And it wouldn't matter if they were innocent or not (if you're innocent than that's just a greater incentive for you to try to win the battle). Also, it's not a state ordered death if Big Mac is the one who cleaves Bubba in half with a battle axe.

Armed guards (armed with shotguns and assault rifles) would watch the exits so that if the inmates tried to work together and fight their way out through the guards, they'd be stopped immediately.

We could even throw wild animals in there and let them attack those evironmentalists who are on death row for blowing up ski resorts.

Donkey1499 said:
Actually, we should put all of the death row inmates in a gladitorial battle to the death. The last man/woman standing gets off of death row and placed in prison for life w/out the possibility of parole.

Aye, how the blood bath would be a glorious thing to watch. And it would ease up on taxes that would normally go to feeding these people. And it wouldn't matter if they were innocent or not (if you're innocent than that's just a greater incentive for you to try to win the battle). Also, it's not a state ordered death if Big Mac is the one who cleaves Bubba in half with a battle axe.

Armed guards (armed with shotguns and assault rifles) would watch the exits so that if the inmates tried to work together and fight their way out through the guards, they'd be stopped immediately.

We could even throw wild animals in there and let them attack those evironmentalists who are on death row for blowing up ski resorts.

LOL Donkey, thanks for your input! Dude, I've missed seeing you around here. Where have you been?

George_Washington said:
I don't know. Maybe the same place where your comment that we shouldn't have executed the Nazis came from"?

If we kill 1, then since we killed 1, we can bear to kill another, and since we already killed 2, why not 3? Why not 5? Why not thousands?

Absolutely not, we have become civilized, why would we ever go backwards?:confused:

No !
Absolutely not !
These must be NO executions.
This from a man who espoused the death penalty for most of his life.
Civilized , advanced nations do not do this.
Maybe the islamics do and those men living in the past do, but they must not prevail..

Public Executions? I can see it now "Come on dear, get the kids ready, or we'll be late for the execution" I'm a death penalty supporter, and I think this idea is ludicrous. It wouldn't deter these guys from committing murder. Nothing seems to be deterring it. Hell, even the messages of Stanley Williams :roll: haven't stopped gang violence. When someone espouses to commit murder, they are going to. Right? When someone espouses to have sex with a child, and then kill him/her to destroy the supposed evidence, they'll do it right? Off the streets is best... PERIOD. I believe the death penalty should be reserved for the most heinous of offenders. However, to say it's a deterrent is only defeating the pro-death penalty belief, because anyone who can see our murder rates sees it's not.

debate_junkie said:
Public Executions? I can see it now "Come on dear, get the kids ready, or we'll be late for the execution" I'm a death penalty supporter, and I think this idea is ludicrous. It wouldn't deter these guys from committing murder. Nothing seems to be deterring it. Hell, even the messages of Stanley Williams :roll: haven't stopped gang violence. When someone espouses to commit murder, they are going to. Right? When someone espouses to have sex with a child, and then kill him/her to destroy the supposed evidence, they'll do it right? Off the streets is best... PERIOD. I believe the death penalty should be reserved for the most heinous of offenders. However, to say it's a deterrent is only defeating the pro-death penalty belief, because anyone who can see our murder rates sees it's not.

The problem with the current justices system is that when someone is sentenced to death,they are locked away for ten or twenty years and forgotten about before finally being executed.If is not an effective deterant when everyone forgets about the offense committed by the person being executed.

I voted yes..........It might serve as a deterrent to someone else committing a capital crime.........

jamesrage said:
The problem with the current justices system is that when someone is sentenced to death,they are locked away for ten or twenty years and forgotten about before finally being executed.If is not an effective deterant when everyone forgets about the offense committed by the person being executed.

Right, so why execute them then? If they are locked away for numerous years before being executed, why bring back all the memories from the crimes they commited by executing them? Wouldn't it pay, and help the victim if we just keep them in prison and forget about them?

kal-el said:
Right, so why execute them then? If they are locked away for numerous years before being executed, why bring back all the memories from the crimes they commited by executing them? Wouldn't it pay, and help the victim if we just keep them in prison and forget about them?

Why let them hang around for 30 years waiting on appeals? Why not run their appeals through in and expeditious manner, say 2 years and then exexute them?

jamesrage said:
That damn Constitution is the real problem! Why shoudl these convicted animals be allowed to have their fate decided Constitutionally! Afterall, wouldn't it be better if we just junked this part of the Constitution, who would notice anyway?

C'mon, the Constitution's not worth fighting for is it? A little Totalitarianism never hurt anyone, right?

Navy Pride said:
I voted yes..........It might serve as a deterrent to someone else committing a capital crime.........
Can you prove this statement, or are you just making it up because you're into watching people die, which is what your post is saying, isn't it?

The death penalty is a complete failure, it needs to be ended now!

I didn't always think this, but because the system is being severely slowed by appeal after appeal, and motion after motion, the death penalty actually costs a lot more then it should. I have no sympathy for the animals that face this sentence, but it no longer works in our liberal society. It is actually cheaper to keep them locked up for the rest of their lives, as unfortunate that is to admit. The courts are overwhelmed, and bad people are slipping through the cracks, it's time for a change, but for these reasons, and these reasons only!

26 X World Champs said:
That damn Constitution is the real problem! Why shoudl these convicted animals be allowed to have their fate decided Constitutionally! Afterall, wouldn't it be better if we just junked this part of the Constitution, who would notice anyway?

C'mon, the Constitution's not worth fighting for is it? A little Totalitarianism never hurt anyone, right?

Huh :confused: can you elaborate what constitutional rights are being violated?

26 X World Champs said:
Can you prove this statement, or are you just making it up because you're into watching people die, which is what your post is saying, isn't it?

I am into watching people that murder and rape die...I wonder if you would be so high and mighty if a relative of yours was murdered or raped........

Deegan said:
The death penalty is a complete failure, it needs to be ended now!

I didn't always think this, but because the system is being severely slowed by appeal after appeal, and motion after motion, the death penalty actually costs a lot more then it should. I have no sympathy for the animals that face this sentence, but it no longer works in our liberal society. It is actually cheaper to keep them locked up for the rest of their lives, as unfortunate that is to admit. The courts are overwhelmed, and bad people are slipping through the cracks, it's time for a change, but for these reasons, and these reasons only!

That is exactly why appeal time should be cut to about two years and with one very thorough appeal..........

Navy Pride said:
Why let them hang around for 30 years waiting on appeals? Why not run their appeals through in and expeditious manner, say 2 years and then exexute them?

Isn't it their right to fight the outcome? What if they are innocent? The justice system is not unerring, so it's inevitable innocents will get killed. I guess you are for killing innocents?

No.

Criminals already know the possible consequences of their actions.

Public executions will do nothing more to dissuade them and will likely only aid opposition to the death penalty.

Navy Pride said:
I am into watching people that murder and rape die.
That says it all Navy Pride, that says it all. Welcome to The Middle Ages!

I must admit that I do not have one friend or colleague that I'm aware of who would admit they're "into watching people that murder and rape die."

You never fail to come through in the clutch Navy Pride! Your post is perfect, I would not have expected anything else from you.

Barbarian is defined as:

bar·bar·i·an Pronunciation Key (bär-bâr-n)
n.

1. A member of a people considered by those of another nation or group to have a primitive civilization.
2. A fierce, brutal, or cruel person.
3. An insensitive, uncultured person; a boor

Public execution is as barbaric as it gets, period. Barbarians probably have foolish pride too, you know?

kal-el said:
Isn't it their right to fight the outcome? What if they are innocent? The justice system is not unerring, so it's inevitable innocents will get killed. I guess you are for killing innocents?

Yeah but 30 years for and appeal is about 28 years to long and the only people that would be executed would be the ones that were guilty beyond a shadow of a doubt..........

Navy Pride said:
Huh :confused: can you elaborate what constitutional rights are being violated?
Before one is executed one has the CONSTITUTIONAL right to appeal on many different grounds, and if you remove those rights you're scrapping the Constitution...but you've written tons of posts that favor the destruction of our most sacred document, the one that makes America the greatest nation in the world, our Constitution!

The hypocrisy that some of you profess that you're so pro-American yet you always support measures that crap all over the Constitution.

Here's what Uncle Sam would like should the Constitution haters in this community (all of which are Republicans, no exceptions, but not all Republicans hate the Constitution).

Samskull03.JPG

Back
Top Bottom