• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Should the looters be shot site if caught in the act of looting?

SHould looters be shot for looting non-essential items?

• Yes

Votes: 17 44.7%
  • no

Votes: 21 55.3%

• Total voters
DeeJayH said:
you have no clue
i would have no problem killing a looter
all it means is i would take a split second to decide if they were surviving or taking advantage of the situtation
bang, your dead
I have no problem taking a life, when necessary, and i would sleep like a baby afterwards
you go ahead and give everybody the benefit of the doubt, but dont **** and moan about insurance costs, or product costs due to insurance costs

okay, maybe I was wrong. maybe you are just a crackpot. Either way, its a very big blessing that you nor one such as you is in charge of making these decisions...thats why they have intense psychological tests for police officers before they give them a gun. Unfortunate that they dont do the same for private citizens buying a gun too....

DeeJayH said:
a simple radio
my first instinct was to say shoot him
but than i thought, he/she could be taking it just so they could get information
so i think that would be ok
however the person really should have already had a radio, batteries for it etc.....
I live in a Hurricane zone, and i have those stored already
but i will give the benefit of the doubt to them
unless it is a huge boom box

big screen tv - kill em
dozens of sneakers - kill em
diapers, food water, etc - help them carry it back safely

neccessities - help them
frivolous items - kill them

Yes, but then you are leaving a life and death choice up to the decision of whether something is frivolous or not. Who's to say that taking sneakers isn't frivolous? Why not just a simple pair of shoes? What if they're taking air Jordan's? Do they get shot and not the guy taking the normal gray shoes?

TJS0110 said:
Yes, but then you are leaving a life and death choice up to the decision of whether something is frivolous or not. Who's to say that taking sneakers isn't frivolous? Why not just a simple pair of shoes? What if they're taking air Jordan's? Do they get shot and not the guy taking the normal gray shoes?

if they took a couple pair of shoes for the family because their stuff is trashed, i am ok with that
if they have a shopping cart full of Air Jordans, shoot on site :shock:

Yes, but again that is your personal opinion. What if some thought that air jordans were a neccesity, and how do you know that the guy doesn't have a really big family? Couldn't you be killing a family man?

TJS0110 said:
that is your personal opinion
of course it is my opinion, kind of hard to debate facts, dont ya think?

TJS0110 said:
What if some thought that air jordans were a neccesity
than they should be eliminated from the gene pool immediately
TJS0110 said:
how do you know that the guy doesn't have a really big family? Couldn't you be killing a family man?

highly unlikely.
family man would have gotten his family out
family man would be more concerned with food and water
family man would be too afraid to be running the streets in the aftermath
family man would have prepared for the hurricane prior to its arrival, if he could not leave
or else he is no family man, rather a reproducer

and your reasoning is why there are so many poor
they are always making excuses for things
for their lot in life
for the situation they find themselves in
why the can not get ahead in life
etc....

There are some poor people who are poor by their own doing, addicts and such. However there are a lot of poor people who simply couldn't get back to a normal life, vets who had a tough time getting back into the normal world. Some people are just poor, the point I'm trying to make is that you can't base a life and death decision on something as frivolous as material goods. I know that it is legal to kill a theif on your own proporty, but seriously, is it worth killing a person who had no way out of the city? Yes, they might be steeling, but there was no evac. plan for the poor, imprisoned, or hospitalized. New Orleans' mayor should be down there in the filth and destruction, the mayor should have to answer for the lack of preporation. The theives must be stopped, but for the love of god, why do you have to shoot them? Why can't you just arrest them, they don't have a gun(if they do then it might be neccasarie) but why just shoot them? Do we shoot shoplifters in non-destroyed areas? Would you shoot a shop lifter in Iraq? I just think there is a better way of accomplishing the same goal.

The theives must be stopped, but for the love of god, why do you have to shoot them?

Logic tells most people that if there is a very strong 100% chance that they will get shot for looting then more than likely they will not loot and during any future disasters people most liekly will not loot.
The likelihood of Looters being scared of being arrested and fear going to jail is the same likelihood as me being rich as Bill Gates. Being arrested and going to jail does not make a effective example.

TJS0110 said:
There are some poor people who are poor by their own doing, addicts and such. However there are a lot of poor people who simply couldn't get back to a normal life, vets who had a tough time getting back into the normal world. Some people are just poor, the point I'm trying to make is that you can't base a life and death decision on something as frivolous as material goods. I know that it is legal to kill a theif on your own proporty, but seriously, is it worth killing a person who had no way out of the city? Yes, they might be steeling, but there was no evac. plan for the poor, imprisoned, or hospitalized. New Orleans' mayor should be down there in the filth and destruction, the mayor should have to answer for the lack of preporation. The theives must be stopped, but for the love of god, why do you have to shoot them? Why can't you just arrest them, they don't have a gun(if they do then it might be neccasarie) but why just shoot them? Do we shoot shoplifters in non-destroyed areas? Would you shoot a shop lifter in Iraq? I just think there is a better way of accomplishing the same goal.

the reason they should be shot on site, is because the area is in a state of emergency
the local resources are stretched to the limits.
they should be protecting the stranded
by arresting looters, they are wasting resources in transporting, processing and guarding such ilk

Originally Posted by DeeJayH
the reason they should be shot on site, is because the area is in a state of emergency
by arresting looters, they are wasting resources in transporting, processing and guarding such ilk

And that is the other half of the reason why looters should be shot.

There is NO reason that looters should be shot on site. First and foremost, I would not give that type of authority to any single person, be they a respectable cop or not. Secondly, looting, while being deplorable behavior during a crisis, is not a violent threat to order. Theft is not something we would normally apply a death penalty to, let alone a death penalty without some kind of representation and defense. The idea that anyone should be shot on site (barring a violent threat to order) is unconstitutional, insane, and moronic.

It amuses me so much how its mostly the people who are screaming support our troops abroad...support their liberation of iraq...support the promotion of democracy...yet when speaking about fellow citizens here at home, they cry for policies that would bring us right into sync with places like Iran. Ignorance and hypocrisy absolute.

It amuses me so much how its mostly the people who are screaming support our troops abroad...support their liberation of iraq...support the promotion of democracy...yet when speaking about fellow citizens here at home, they cry for policies that would bring us right into sync with places like Iran. Ignorance and hypocrisy absolute.

The thing is, looters are degenerate scum,they should be shown the same lack of respect the shown law abiding citizens.

You can still have a democracy and stiff punishments for violating laws during a time of crisis.

jamesrage said:
The thing is, looters are degenerate scum,they should be shown the same lack of respect the shown law abiding citizens.

You can still have a democracy and stiff punishments for violating laws during a time of crisis.

I am all for stiff punishments, however, I am also for fair representation and judgement by a council of your peers. It is very hard to have that with a bullet in the head. And I'm sorry, but I dont think any man alive has the impartiality to make such decisions on his own.

I am all for stiff punishments, however, I am also for fair representation and judgement by a council of your peers. It is very hard to have that with a bullet in the head. And I'm sorry, but I dont think any man alive has the impartiality to make such decisions on his own.

What is so hard about making a decision of guilt about a individual leaving a Wal-Mart or Sears with a big screen television and the whole nieghborhood looks like a crappy swimming pool?

jamesrage said:
What is so hard about making a decision of guilt about a individual leaving a Wal-Mart or Sears with a big screen television and the whole nieghborhood looks like a crappy swimming pool?

Its not so much about the decision of guilt as it is about making the punishment fit the crime. Further, the police do not have authority to make judgements concerning guilt or penalty, only to enforce peace. Shooting someone in the head on site is in no way an enforcement of peace. There is no discussion about this; shooting a looter on site is barbarism and is not how our legal system works.

Its not so much about the decision of guilt as it is about making the punishment fit the crime. Further, the police do not have authority to make judgements concerning guilt or penalty, only to enforce peace. Shooting someone in the head on site is in no way an enforcement of peace. There is no discussion about this; shooting a looter on site is barbarism and is not how our legal system works.

I would call it a deterant after a few examples are made,instead of barbarism.
If you shoot a few looters in the head as they are caught in the act of looting it will deter anyone else from looting when word spreads and therefore the peace will be kept.

jallman said:

and yet the police are empowered to do it every day in other situations
so i think your too much power in ones hands to be bunk

jamesrage said:
Logic tells most people that if there is a very strong 100% chance that they will get shot for looting then more than likely they will not loot and during any future disasters people most liekly will not loot.
The likelihood of Looters being scared of being arrested and fear going to jail is the same likelihood as me being rich as Bill Gates. Being arrested and going to jail does not make a effective example.
People still kill people, even though they can be given the death penalty.

DeeJayH said:
Ahhhhh, so in times of trouble we must abandon the rights that make up America?

DeeJayH said:
and yet the police are empowered to do it every day in other situations
so i think your too much power in ones hands to be bunk

No, the problem is that you dont think. The police are empowered to defend themselves and citizens from immediate danger. Someone carrying a television seems to have his hands a little too full to pose an immediate danger. Now someone waving a gun around, different story. The police have, not a power, but a duty to defend the general populace from harm. So, I know your empowerment to shoot to kill argument is bunk.

jamesrage said:

Why shouldn't we shoot people like Martha Stewert? Why don't we kill blue collar criminals, they are stealing millions from companies, even billions. They are stealing much more than air jordans, why don't we just kill them all? Hell useing that logic, lets kill all people who download music of the internet? Kill all the people who shoot of fireworks, kill everyone who breaks any law, and we won't have any lawbreakers.

Why shouldn't we shoot people like Martha Stewert? Why don't we kill blue collar criminals, they are stealing millions from companies, even billions. They are stealing much more than air jordans, why don't we just kill them all? Hell useing that logic, lets kill all people who download music of the internet? Kill all the people who shoot of fireworks, kill everyone who breaks any law, and we won't have any lawbreakers.

I am not talking about shooting people when the weather is peaceful and there is no state of emergancy.Although that does sound like a good idea to shoot those blue collar criminals who steal millions,after the lives they ruined should be accounted for.

The poll, however unscientific it may be, is almost split, which might be surprising, but then again I'm a noob..
So, you see some guy running out of Wally World carrying a couple of bags full of bread, cookies, diapers, soda, etc. You decide to play God and shoot him...only to find out his family, including the 4 year old and new baby, were sitting on top of his 1987 Olds station wagon, trying to stay out of the rising water and just wishing to get help.
Feel better now?
You made a decision to kill some father because he was desperate, not hurting anyone and took a few things from a multi-million dollar conglomerate that will most likely recover all its costs and then some. Nice going....

You made a decision to kill some father because he was desperate, not hurting anyone and took a few things from a multi-million dollar conglomerate that will most likely recover all its costs and then some. Nice going...

Liberal logic?"Oh that company is rich they deserved to be looted"

jamesrage said:
Liberal logic?"Oh that company is rich they deserved to be looted"
no, moreso it's not big enough of a deal to justify killing the culprits.

So people value material possesions more than life? Hmmmmmm, This must be Clinton's fault somehow. Certainly pro-life christians wouldn't vote yes.:rofl

Back
Top Bottom