• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should public restrooms still be segregated by gender?

• Total voters
As far as i'm concerned, the way things have always been is perfectly fine. It's not something i ever cared or thought about until north carolina began this witch hunt of lgbt. But now that they have done so, sitting back and doing nothing is for sure not the answer

I'm aware there will be some backlash to the backlash, but those people who scream for birth certificates already hated or at least put the transgender as 2nd class, and they're inevitably going to lose, so whatever. Let them reveal themselves now in their dying "cause." Let pat mcrory be remembered as another george wallace and lose to the federal courts (again) and DoJ within a few months, all good to me. Let them realize their worst nightmares of mixed gender restrooms, or lose billions in funding. They're the ones who can end this at any time and just go back to the way things were

Keep advocating for sticking it to non LGBT folks and the backlash will come also from folks who might well have been on your side initially.

The girls screaming would mean they're homophobes. You did forget option (5) go outside an pee on the side of the building because those kids in the schoolyard have no right to feel "comfortable" and if they do, they're homophobes too.

i'll admit i got a sick laugh out of this scenario combined with yours of the guy pissing in the sink, because it's so friggin absurd

you know very well gender identity isn't switched on or off at a whim like that poster suggests. He's probably 3x their size, shoved his dick in their faces, oh and yeah they're 8 years old. I'm sure homophobia has nothing to do with their reaction and he should be arrested and any lies of being transgender ignored

i guess i should've clarified that revenge should not be taken against 8 year olds, as they're not responsible for the latest republican scheme

Keep advocating for sticking it to non LGBT folks and the backlash will come also from folks who might well have been on your side initially.

really, and what is your desired backlash to the backlash?

they struck first and they have the power to end this. When mcrory is re-elected after costing his state billions in a failed attempt to oppress a small minority, i'll know i'm right in saying they deserved it

if up to me, no state laws could go into effect *until* they pass a federal court review, or politicians who violate the constitution are automatically removed from office. Then we wouldn't have to resort to boycotts and funding cuts and demonstrations

they struck first and they have the power to end this. When mcrory is re-elected after costing his state billions in a failed attempt to oppress a small minority, i'll know i'm right in saying they deserved it

if up to me, no state laws could go into effect *until* they pass a federal court review, or politicians who violate the constitution are automatically removed from office. Then we wouldn't have to resort to boycotts and funding cuts and demonstrations

How did we miss that with that arrogant pen-and-phone mulatto, the guy whose two middle fingers are so familiar to the U.S. Congress and the constitutional scholars?

Your view on this is extreme. Most people think it's fine and not this unreasonable invasion of privacy to designate men's and women's restroom *gasp*. You're going to hurt your cause advocating for this bathroom/locker room free for all and telling non trans people they have no right to privacy from the opposite sex. You're like a PETA advocate. You're not reasonable. Most folks don't live every day thinking their gender should be this huge secret as you apparently do. In fact, most people do things everyday to make it clear what their gender is and that includes trans people.

You don't have to live every day with your gender being a huge secret to also feel that your gender should not be important to almost anything you do in public, including using the restroom.

I would even go so far as to say that "bottom surgery" would not be required. As I understand it, trans people live for awhile as their chosen gender and I still think those people should be able to use the bathroom of the gender they're living as.

To say that women should just have to put up with big hairy dudes pissing in the sink (because there's no urinal) is unreasonable IMO and if advocates insist on in, it'll hurt their cause.

Why should anyone be allowed to piss in any sink? In fact, I'm against the movement to potty train children from birth which actually does involve them pissing (and more) in the sink. There is no reason anyone has to provide a man with a urinal in the men's restroom or allow him to go in the sink, let alone the women's restroom.

Let's take your excellent example a step further. A hairy dude is visiting his 8-year-old daughter's school. All of a sudden, he needs to go pee pee because he just had one six pack of Bud too many. But today he feels he is a girl so he goes straight to the restroom where the little girls do what comes naturally.

Here are possible responses from liberals: (1) that's hypothetical, (2) until he commits a crime, no harm, (3) you are a homophobe, (4) girls can scream very loudly...

Did I miss anything?

Drunk people can be booted from elementary school property for being drunk.

I've been in the little boys room with my son while he went potty at school why should a (sober) father not be allowed in the little girls room with his daughter?

Eh, ultimately I agree the whole thing was stupid and unnecessary and probably entailed a good deal over butthurt over SSM. I just oppose "resolutions" that are also stupid and unnecessary even if motivated by revenge.

Eh, ultimately I agree the whole thing was stupid and unnecessary and probably entailed a good deal over butthurt over SSM. I just oppose "resolutions" that are also stupid and unnecessary even if motivated by revenge.
North Carolina did not 'strike first'. The state legislature responded to a city ordinance presented and promoted by a pedophile and ultimately passed by the city council. The state did not randomly decide to pass legislation. they responded to upset over a newly passed ordinance.

fair enough, but keep in mind it's easy to say this when you haven't been the political, legal, and cultural whipping boy for decades. People were hoping this would all be over after SSM ruling. It's disappointing to see malicious actions like employment protections removed in an entire state and even more hysteria over problems that don't exist, like transgender assaulting people in restrooms

North Carolina did not 'strike first'. The state legislature responded to a city ordinance presented and promoted by a pedophile and ultimately passed by the city council. The state did not randomly decide to pass legislation. they responded to upset over a newly passed ordinance.

no, striking first would be like i said - only mixed gender bathrooms allowed for the whole state, and only employment protections for lgbt. That would be the equivalent of what north carolina has done to lgbt.

What you so conveniently ignore is that progress for lgbt harms no one, except those who attempt to harm them (ex: kim davis using her position to defy federal court orders and deny gay couples their civil rights)

fair enough, but keep in mind it's easy to say this when you haven't been the political, legal, and cultural whipping boy for decades. People were hoping this would all be over after SSM ruling. It's disappointing to see malicious actions like employment protections removed in an entire state and even more hysteria over problems that don't exist, like transgender assaulting people in restrooms

I know, you have a great desire for revenge against all sorts of folks. You'll have to understand why I won't wish you luck on any of it.

It's not the transgendered that I worry about in restrooms......... at all. It is the perv bastards that will abuse to law.

This will not end well.

no, striking first would be like i said - only mixed gender bathrooms allowed for the whole state, and only employment protections for lgbt. That would be the equivalent of what north carolina has done to lgbt.

What you so conveniently ignore is that progress for lgbt harms no one, except those who attempt to harm them (ex: kim davis using her position to defy federal court orders and deny gay couples their civil rights)

Actually you can't say that if "progress for LGBT" means that you have to support a bathroom/locker room free for all.

I know, you have a great desire for revenge against all sorts of folks. You'll have to understand why I won't wish you luck on any of it.

what do you call the justice system, if not motivated by revenge and deterrence? Do you wish to free all prisoners now? Because i kind of think my approach would deter other states while the courts meander thru things

Not according to the DOJ, at least, there's no way to test if people are using the correct bathroom. The official document that determines the state's (and ultimately the USFG) knowledge of a person's gender, a birth certificate, apparently is not allowed to be used. Thus, "separate but equal" bathrooms are legally forbidden or, at the very least, no meaningful enforcement can be allowed.

what do you call the justice system, if not motivated by revenge and deterrence? Do you wish to free all prisoners now? Because i kind of think my approach would deter other states while the courts meander thru things

The justice system aims at a single person guilty of some crime. You've got entire groups of people - like everyone in North Carolina you want to punish. You're not ever going to convince me to be ok with sticking it to all the people you'd like to make suffer.

Actually you can't say that if "progress for LGBT" means that you have to support a bathroom/locker room free for all.

you're right, we *could* take the high/victimized road

sometimes i feel that way, sometimes not. Mostly i just find it sad. We have real problems like crumbling infrastructure and a state government instead calls an emergency session to trample over a minority

The justice system aims at a single person guilty of some crime. You've got entire groups of people - like everyone in North Carolina you want to punish. You're not ever going to convince me to be ok with sticking it to all the people you'd like to make suffer.

well what if 10 million 'single people' are guilty of oppressing their fellow man. You know this wouldn't be the first time. What's your solution to that, nothing? Deterrence can be achieved thru various means, and several states have been deterred from similar laws.

Besides, i mentioned my own dorm had mixed bathrooms. I see this proposal as more amusing taste of their own medicine than punishment. It might (doubtful) even make them aware that everything is fine, no need for emergency sessions and vindictive employment laws because a trans person might be in the next stall

i do agree that ideally there's discussion that's critical because transgender issues are only now becoming known. But what i can't stand is mcrory saying "we need more dialogue" AFTER he passes this law. It's too late then

Last edited:
well what if 10 million 'single people' are guilty of oppressing their fellow man. You know this wouldn't be the first time. What's your solution to that, nothing? Deterrence can be achieved thru various means, and several states have been deterred from similar laws.

Besides, i mentioned my own dorm had mixed bathrooms. I see this proposal as more amusing taste of their own medicine than punishment. It might (doubtful) even make them aware that everything is fine, no need for emergency sessions and vindictive employment laws because a trans person might be in the next stall

Sure you don't want to make it that only LGBT folks get to use stalls? :roll:

i do agree that ideally there's discussion that's critical because transgender issues are only now becoming known. But what i can't stand is mcrory saying "we need more dialogue" AFTER he passes this law. It's too late then

Well, I'm not sure who you are that you think you have the right to give anyone "a taste of their own medicine" but you did tell me once that if I ever had my religious freedom rights violated I shouldn't have any recourse and I should just suck it up. You can't ever be pissy about someone wanting to force feed your own obviously very bitter medicine since that is what you advocate.

Last edited:
Drunk people can be booted from elementary school property for being drunk.

I've been in the little boys room with my son while he went potty at school why should a (sober) father not be allowed in the little girls room with his daughter?

...because his daughter had a couple of six packs of Budweiser?

I would say 'no'.
The important thing is that there are individual stalls for individual people (which there already are), and partitions between urinals (which there often are not). I knew a homosexual man who hung around a men's restroom, going in and out, walking close by the men at the non-partitioned urinals or peeing beside them, trying to get a glimpse of their penis. What good are gender-segregated restrooms when it comes to such homosexual perverts?

All that talk about restrooms gave me an urge to visit mine. As am sitting there waiting for the events to unfold, I had this thought.

Now, gender dysphoria, I was told, is your female mind disliking your male body. Since you cannot run away from yourself, you, as represented by your mind, develop a sense of great discomfort, if not hatred, so intense you are willing to mutilate the male of you and subject him to a chemical and hormonal assault.

So, if the female brain hates the male body, is this not a case of sex discrimination and bigotry? Like, "I don't like you because you are a man" kind?

Since we already have self-hatred or self-loathing in our vocabulary, how about self-bigotry?

I would say 'no'.
The important thing is that there are individual stalls for individual people (which there already are), and partitions between urinals (which there often are not). I knew a homosexual man who hung around a men's restroom, going in and out, walking close by the men at the non-partitioned urinals or peeing beside them, trying to get a glimpse of their penis. What good are gender-segregated restrooms when it comes to such homosexual perverts?

Plenty good. In your "I want to see your dick" scenario, the homo who would dare to go beyond "see" would very likely end up in an ER.

In the ladies restroom, it would very likely be a girl who would need medical intervention.

Got it?

Back
Top Bottom