• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should Creationism be given EQUAL TIME?

Oh em gee.

Look at evidence and think for yourself. The only reason why it is still a hypothesis is because a bunch of geologists with PhD's don't want to admit the fact that they were retarded.

That's it. You got 'em. All the retarded scientists with PhD's don't understand what you do. Must be nice to be you.

Because we are much more religious. We teach our kids religion at home, at church, or in private schools. We keep it out of government-run schools. The idea that creationism is science is loony. It is religion. It only pretends to be science here because we exclude religion from schools.

Exactly... that way they can sound legitimate and attempt to gain equal footing. It is ridiculous.

I present to you...Avimimus
avimimus.jpg
Nice feathered cape. Avimimus appears to be a direct descendent of Liberace. Seems like he's mastered the playing stance, but , such frustration, the piano won't be invented for 60 million years.

Nice feathered cape. Avimimus appears to be a direct descendent of Liberace. Seems like he's mastered the playing stance, but , such frustration, the piano won't be invented for 60 million years.

Besides, Avimimus , like Liberace, was gay and therefore did not pass his genes on to the next generation.

What the hell does that even mean.

It means that despite the fact that there is good evidence of the dinosaur to bird transition, including dinosaurs which had feathers, it doesn't fit into his preconceived notions and anti-science stance, so he'll ignore it.

Oh em gee.

Look at evidence and think for yourself. The only reason why it is still a hypothesis is because a bunch of geologists with PhD's don't want to admit the fact that they were retarded.

Why don't you go publish some papers since you're so superior to people who have spent their life in devotion to learning and expanding knowledge on the subject. I mean, you have the answer, right? So out with it.

I'm not sure when anti-intellectualism became "in"; but THAT is retarded. If you don't like science and intellect, climb back into the trees and start flinging your poo.

Piled High and Deep. All you gotta remember.

You have something better than to insult people who have expanded their own knowledge and the overall knowledge base of humans? Let's see it. Otherwise, this is nothing but anti-intellectualism drivel.

Yes, why not? That's what school is. A place to learn.

I think you have a point. Place it right along side 'fairy's' and ' the boogeyman' and 'the three bears' that's it's place.....

Paul

Well, the problem is, if you teach creationism, a solely fundamentalist christian belief, you also must teach the creation stories of other religions as well, all for equal time, and then everyone is only learning a bunch of stuff that they don't even believe in. Creationism, just like the story of Zeus, is a mythological story. It's fine if you believe it, but in schools, we are supposed to be taught things backed up by evidence and that can be proven as actual facts. Besides, the religious people learn this stuff in their churches and such anyways so what's the point in teaching it to them all over again in schools when most of the kids don't wanna hear about something they don't believe in anyway?

Yes, why not? That's what school is. A place to learn.

It's fine if you want to believe in Creationism as an "alternative theory."

As I've said on this issue in the past, some people think the moon landing was faked. Some people believe the Earth is flat. Should we teach those alternate theories as well?

To quote Tom Petty "It don't really matter to me, you believe what you want to believe." That doesn't mean the rest of us have to.

Because millions of people don't believe that babies come from storks.

Even if you don't believe in God, at least you should respect that there are many millions who do, and it's quite arrogant to just not even want to associate with their viewpoint quite frankly.

Look, the point here is to teach tolerance and to be accepting of each other. American education totally lacks that.

Haha, "look the point here is being tolerant of other viewpoints," Peter says after spending page after page of posts telling others that they are wrong for believing that creationism has no relation to science. Practice what you preach, big guy.

And here's the AWESOME KICKER, this article: Creationism to be banished from Swedish schools

/thread

I went to high school in Sweden, a very secular society that is maybe 3% Christian.

It is also very liberal, the tax rate for example is like 60% and almost all social services are provided like universal healthcare etc.

Even in Sweden, in Biology class, Creationism was given equal time and treatment to Evolution. We even learned about Panspermia (that life may have originated on other planets and was brought here). Many theories.

The point was not to endorse religion, but to educate us in a number of viewpoints. The viewpoints are out there, so why not learn them?

My question is... the USA is much more religious than Sweden.... so why is it so taboo to speak of religion or even mention it in US schools??

Because the government cannot endorse any religion or group of religions. That includes schools. Its a violation of the Constitution.

Here is a video explaining the land mark case: NOVA | Intelligent Design on Trial
Here is an overview: Kitzmiller v. Dover Area School District - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The proper application of both the endorsement and Lemon tests to the facts of this case makes it abundantly clear that the Board's ID Policy violates the Establishment Clause. In making this determination, we have addressed the seminal question of whether ID is science. We have concluded that it is not, and moreover that ID cannot uncouple itself from its creationist, and thus religious, antecedents. [...]

The citizens of the Dover area were poorly served by the members of the Board who voted for the ID Policy. It is ironic that several of these individuals, who so staunchly and proudly touted their religious convictions in public, would time and again lie to cover their tracks and disguise the real purpose behind the ID Policy. With that said, we do not question that many of the leading advocates of ID have bona fide and deeply held beliefs which drive their scholarly endeavors. Nor do we controvert that ID should continue to be studied, debated, and discussed. As stated, our conclusion today is that it is unconstitutional to teach ID as an alternative to evolution in a public school science classroom.

Last edited:
You think it's that big of a deal?

As the vast majority of western Christians are not creationists (in the sense of denying evolution) or should we posit 'Young Earth Creationists', I find it unsatisfying to claim it as a primary concept of Chrsitianity - unless one is a member of a sect that does so.

The primary concept is, without a doubt and beyond any argument, the Gospel. That being: one's faith in Christ allows Christ's perfect faith to be substituted for one's own faulty character, acts and faith thereby granting salvation and righteous judgement before God.

Last edited:
equal time in science class?... no.

for one, creationism does not compete with evolution... or at least, it shouldn't.
one is a basically observations of hereditary changes in a biological population, the other is a theory of how those population came to be.
creationism could be, I guess, be taught as an alternative to other theories that try to explain the origins of biological populations... but to be treated as an alternative to a theory of how the populations change is not really cool with me... it doesn't fit

I agree they don't compete or cancel each other out. A good many scientist who believe in evolution also believe in God. Simply sicence and faith are two very separate areas.

As the vast majority of western Christians are not creationists (in the sense of denying evolution) or should we posit 'Young Earth Creationists', I find it unsatisfying to claim it as a primary concept of Chrsitianity - unless one is a member of a sect that does so.

The primary concept is, without a doubt and beyond any argument, the Gospel. That being: one's faith in Christ allows Christ's perfect faith to be substituted for one's own faulty character, acts and faith thereby granting salvation and righteous judgement before God.

Exactly. The so called "young Earth creationists" with their absurd notions are on the lunatic fringe of Christian churches.

Creationism should be taught in schools - it gives kids something to laugh at and say "People used to (and some still do) believe this crap??" :lol:

Creationism isn't science and, even if it were, it wouldn't be a good hypothesis as it doesn't lead to any new predictions. "'god' did it." That's it. There is no reason to explore any more.

If we are teaching creationism in science classes, let's also teach:

1. Babies come from storks as a competing theory
2. The world may (or may not) be flat
3. The Sun revolves around us
4. Leaches and "bleeding" are competing medical cures for everything

You are dead wrong on everything you posted here. I am a Pastafarian, and I believe that the Universe was created by the flying spaghetti monster and that the flying spaghetti monster created ALL the planets out of meatballs, the seas from marinara sauce, and everything else from oregano. I have just as much "proof" for it as Christians have for a God who created Adam and Eve. I demand that Pastafarianism be taught in our schools. Before school each day, kids should say a prayer to his Holiness too. Great is the Flying Spaghetti Monster, and may we all be touched by his noodly appendage. This is science, I tells 'ya. :mrgreen:

You are dead wrong on everything you posted here. I am a Pastafarian, and I believe that the Universe was created by the flying spaghetti monster and that the flying spaghetti monster created ALL the planets out of meatballs, the seas from marinara sauce, and everything else from oregano. I have just as much "proof" for it as Christians have for a God who created Adam and Eve. I demand that Pastafarianism be taught in our schools. Before school each day, kids should say a prayer to his Holiness too. Great is the Flying Spaghetti Monster, and may we all be touched by his noodly appendage. This is science, I tells 'ya. :mrgreen:

Tell me more of this Pastafarianism you speak of, oh great Prophet!

Tell me more of this Pastafarianism you speak of, oh great Prophet!

Everything you need to know about Pastafarianism is contained in the Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.... Bless his Holy name. As Jewish books are written in Hebrew, and Christian books are written in Greek and Aramaic, the Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster is written in the Buccaneer tongue, also known as Pirate. O faithful one, read the holy words contained within this Gospel, and you will have found what you have always been searching for..... Proof that Creationism is science. And, whatever thou doest, never forget that Holiest of all Holy days, known as Talk Like a Pirate Day. Arrrrggghhhhh, me matey. Yes, we must bring God into our schools. We must bring the Gospel of the FSM to all children, and FOX News must shout to the world that there is a war on Pastafarianism being waged by the evul Leebruls. :mrgreen:

Last edited:
Everything you need to know about Pastafarianism is contained in the Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.... Bless his Holy name. As Jewish books are written in Hebrew, and Christian books are written in Greek and Aramaic, the Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster is written in the Buccaneer tongue, also known as Pirate. O faithful one, read the holy words contained within this Gospel, and you will have found what you have always been searching for Proof that Creationism is science. ...... And, whatever you do, never forget that Holiest of all Holy days, known as Talk Like a Pirate Day. Arrrrggghhhhh, me matey. :mrgreen:

I remember "sail-abrating" it last year! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom