• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Russia to Push Syria to Surrender Chemical Weapons

So, what's the problem? Neither side would be an ally to the US? Were we concerned when 800,000 lives were lost in the Rwandan genocide?

We don't need an ally. We need an end to the sanctions, UN violations and violence. We need an end to spending all of the country's money on weapons to kill civilians. We need foreign aid, development projects, NGOs and a transitional democratic government.

We need hope

and change.

:D

We don't need an ally. We need an end to the sanctions, UN violations and violence. We need an end to spending all of the country's money on weapons to kill civilians. We need foreign aid, development projects, NGOs and a transitional democratic government.

We need hope

and change.

:D

We already tried this, and it didn't work out too well. Weapons are designed to kill and defend property...

You call this a debating style?

You call the nihilist dismissal of reality and thus "anything is possible" a point? Next you'll be telling me that reasonable estimations are a religion because they're faith based - aka, "all evidence is fake".

Weapons are designed to kill and defend property...

Weapons are designed to enforce liberty and justice. An object is not defined by its misuse.

You call the nihilist dismissal of reality and thus "anything is possible" a point? Next you'll be telling me that reasonable estimations are a religion because they're faith based - aka, "all evidence is fake".

Are you the definer of reality? Nobody knows what the consequences of a US strike might be. When is the last time we attacked a country that was host to a Russian naval base?

Weapons are designed to enforce liberty and justice. An object is not defined by its misuse.

Yet you want to use weapons against a nation where our national security is not at risk. Go figure...

Nice. So Obama has so completely ****ed up this situation he has managed to make PUTIN of all people look like a statesman, and now...what happens when Syria cooperates with the Russians and Obama still presses with the attack? And even if they DO cooperate with Russia, why...we STILL are obligated to attack Syria to 'punish' Assad for using those weapons, right?

Well it looks like Russia has a mighty good idea, it this helps straighten out the Syria kerfuffle that will be wonderful.
Of course...that doesnt resolve the need to 'punish' Assad for ordering the chemical attacks. So really...this just makes Obama look even more goofy than before. And just when that didnt look possible...

Are you the definer of reality? Nobody knows what the consequences of a US strike might be. When is the last time we attacked a country that was host to a Russian naval base?

The Russians would be assured continued control of the port. It's not like the US is gonna try to take the port, let's be real.

How is it another win if the Rebels don't get any strikes that help turn the tide in their favor? Wrong.....Its a Win for Putin. If no strikes take place then Assad can mop up the Rebels. The West won't be able to go back and supply the Rebels now. Neither side would have access to the Chems. Nor would the West recognizing the STNC as the Official ruling Government of Syria be valid anymore.

Putin will come out looking like he stopped US aggression
and show he has out played Obama.

Putin is not one of my favorite people, but if he ends up looking like a peace-monger when this is all over with, that's OK with me.

The Russians would be assured continued control of the port. It's not like the US is gonna try to take the port, let's be real.

Just who will make these assurances if Assad falls? This is where I'm having a problem with your arguments. Assad is backed by Iran, and those trying to take control of the country are of the wrong Muslim sect for that relationship to continue...

Really? He strapped up, jumped out of the chopper ala Rambo kicked in a few doors slaying bad guys all along the way with machine guns in both hands.
Yea, right.
No, he sent our troops to go get him. He put men in harms way to go take out a guy that was hiding like a cockroach under the sink of a beat down trailer.
Then observed Muslim traditions and buried him at sea. An honor we usually reserve for our naval dead if they so choose it.
Try again.
Um, I will help. He saved GM. Oh wait, that was with our money.
He issued an EO to keep dangerous military grade weapons off our streets. Oh, wait no. Those are 80 year old rifles not used in our military since the 50s.
Do I need to keep going
?

First you need to get started.

The rebels have no capacity to take the port, Russia is reinforcing.

I'm guessing if they defeat Assad, they won't be excited about continuing to host those who supported the regime... :shock:

I'm guessing if they defeat Assad, they won't be excited about continuing to host those who supported the regime... :shock:

They have no military capacity, whatsoever, to remove the Russians. The UN will support Russian control of the port. It's not their decision to make.

They have no military capacity, whatsoever, to remove the Russians. The UN will support Russian control of the port. It's not their decision to make.

WTF? Are nations no longer sovereign in which countries they host?

This is a defeat for Putin no doubt. Assad accepts defacto to guilt for the attack making them both look foolish, or Assad doesn't comply and leaves Putin with egg on his face.

I don't see it that way at all.

Assad can give up all of his chemical weapons and still claim that he didn't use them against the rebels.

If Putin can come up with a workable solution to Assad and his chemical weapons while Obama dithers and asks Congress for permission for a strike that is unlikely to accomplish anything if it is carried out, he will have won some major superpower points for Russia, while Obama comes off looking like a total doofus.

But, if he can carry it off and get rid of Assad's chemical weapons, more power to him. He can then take his shirt off and go riding horseback around the country, beating his chest and playing macho man all he wants.

I am totally down with that idea.

No President ever does it himself.

Would you give credit to Churchill and Roosevelt for winning WWII? How many battles did they personally participate in?

I'm going to say that the one who came closest to it was George Washington. He did lead the US Military in the Revolutionary War, but that was before he became President.

WTF? Are nations no longer sovereign in which countries they host?

Dictators that kill 40-60k civilians, and whose military uses chems to secure the capital do not get sovereignty. The SNC is the recognized government of Syria. Assad is a terrorist and a dictator of the worst sort, it's time he goes. A transition government supported by the UN will create development instead of this hell.

The SNC can agree to the Russian port or lose all Western support.

Back
Top Bottom