• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Russia to Push Syria to Surrender Chemical Weapons

Let's think about this plan for a second.

Is Putin delaying Obama's strike and Congressional votes to drag the timeline out for Syria or are they sincere in their effort to help?
If they're sincere, what benefit will Russia gain other than keeping Assad in power?
How can the international community get to the chemical weapons - do they call a timeout, go in and grab them and transport them away? The logistics of doing something like this near impossible.

My view is that this is a delay tactic - so lets just say Obama and team don't delay and don't take Putin's bait. They push for a vote and lose. Can Obama now still go ahead and launch missiles after Congress says "no" AND now leaving a non-military action on the table unused? That's political suicide domestically and internationally.

Let's say both houses of Congress say "yes" to military action. Obama now has carte blanche to go forward and can use that as leverage with Russia and Assad to negotiate and verify terms of chem weapons being secured and an end to the civil war. But that's looking very bad right now.

Politically, Putin's plan literally throws a monkey wrench in the "go to war timeline". What he's trying to do is he's trying to delay the Obama administration's plans. What I'm afraid of is he's playing our president for a sucker. Given the feasibility of such actions as being remote at best, he's playing a delay game that Obama, now that he's bitten the bait, will have a hard time giving up.

Correct.

Just because you use a pitchfork to kill a vampire does not make it a weapon.

Speaking of a Vampire.....Hillary did sound off today. :lol: ;)

Hillary Clinton: Russia’s Syria offer could be ‘important step’.....

Breaking her recent silence on Syria, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton declared on Monday that Russia’s proposal to put Bashar Assad’s chemical weapons arsenal under international control could be “an important step” but warned that it cannot be “another excuse for delay or obstruction.”

“The Assad regime’s inhuman use of weapons of mass destruction against men, women and children violates a universal norm at the heart of our global order and therefore it demands a strong response from the international community led by the United States,“ Clinton said.

“But this cannot be another excuse for delay or obstruction — and Russia has to support the international community’s efforts sincerely or be held to account,” she said

Echoing top Obama aides, Clinton underlined that the discussion over the Russian-backed proposal “only could take place in the context of a credible military threat by the United States to keep pressure on the Syrian government as well as those supporting Syria, like Russia.”.....snip~

Hillary Clinton: Russia

There is not a "good" side in this conflict any longer...

Heya AP. :2wave: There never was.....not even from the Start of the so called Arab Spring.

They all tried to play on that one.....The Arab Spring.

Course all know Rusty bedsprings came about from the Twins. IP Daley and His brother, IP Knightly. :mrgreen:

Heya AP. :2wave:
There never was.....not even from the Start of the so called Arab Spring.

Course all know Rusty bedsprings came about from the Twins. IP Daley and His brother, IP Knightly. :mrgreen:

When things first started getting cranked up in Syria I kind of thought that there was a good side.

But now I realize that was just an illusion. There is no good side in the Syrian civil war.

Heya AP. :2wave: There never was.....not even from the Start of the so called Arab Spring.

We continue to try to find "good guys" in the ME when none exist that are compatible with out values. What is that definition of insanity again?

Good evening mmc...

We continue to try to find "good guys" in the ME when none exist that are compatible with out values. What is that definition of insanity again?

Good evening mmc...

Evening AP.....yeah both sides keep talking about how the Moderates are seen as, Willing to do business with those in the West. What they failed to understand was. Neither the Sunni nor the Shia. Were ever really looking at anything that was in our interests. Both Neo Cons and Neo Libs have been played. Outwitted and outfoxed. Time for some new Foreign Policy.....and it starts like this. We give no more Weapons to the Children that keep throwing tantrums, and tell them we hear you. That's all they need to know. 20 years later.....we can tell them again. We heard you.

There is no Children playing where the Big Boys play.

What proof is there that this wasn't Obama's devious plan?

This is exactly the kind of thing that some people on the right accuse Obama of every day.

Maybe they got it right one time, eh?

130200415937.jpg

There's no need to attack Syria. Saudi Arabia is going to do it for us.

Report: Saudis sent death-row inmates to fight Syria

Saudi Arabia has sent death-row inmates from several nations to fight against the Syrian government in exchange for commuting their sentences, the Assyrian International News Agency reports.

Citing what it calls a "top secret memo" in April from the Ministry of Interior, AINA says the Saudi offered 1,239 inmates a pardon and a monthly stipend for their families, which were were allowed to stay in the Sunni Arab kingdom. Syrian President Bashar Assad is an Alawite, a minority Shiite sect.

Sounds like boots.. er, maybe sandals, on the ground.

There's no need to attack Syria. Saudi Arabia is going to do it for us.

Report: Saudis sent death-row inmates to fight Syria

Sounds like boots.. er, maybe sandals, on the ground.

(Photo: Saudi Press Agency/AP)

SHARE 8146 CONNECT 1545 TWEET 23 COMMENTEMAILMORE

Saudi Arabia has sent death-row inmates from several nations to fight against the Syrian government in exchange for commuting their sentences, the Assyrian International News Agency reports.

Citing what it calls a "top secret memo" in April from the Ministry of Interior, AINA says the Saudi offered 1,239 inmates a pardon and a monthly stipend for their families, which were were allowed to stay in the Sunni Arab kingdom. Syrian President Bashar Assad is an Alawite, a minority Shiite sect.

You can't believe everything you read in the Assyrian News... especially when its top secret and Saudi Arabia has no death row.

Obviously there's a large amount of dis-info in the media today.

I have it on good authority from a friend of a friend's cousin's uncle that OBL is holed up in the Sandia Mountains of New Mexico; operating 6 Circle-K stores in the suburbs of Albuquerque.

Thom Paine

You know, as much as I try to not apply stereotypes, I thought I recognized the guy pushing slurpee's last time I was through New Mexico.

I assume these crack mercenaries would consist entirely of homosexuals and rape victims.

Saudi Arabia has no death row.. Justice is swift.

I assume these crack mercenaries would consist entirely of homosexuals and rape victims.

Saudi Arabia has no death row.. Justice is swift.

In a surprise move, Russia promised Monday to push its ally Syria to place its chemical weapons under international control and then dismantle them quickly to avert U.S. strikes.

The announcement by Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov came a few hours after U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said that Syrian President Bashar Assad could resolve the crisis surrounding the alleged use of chemical weapons by his forces by surrendering control of "every single bit" of his arsenal to the international community by the end of the week.

"If the establishment of international control over chemical weapons in that country would allow avoiding strikes, we will immediately start working with Damascus," Lavrov said.

"We are calling on the Syrian leadership to not only agree on placing chemical weapons storage sites under international control, but also on its subsequent destruction and fully joining the treaty on prohibition of chemical weapons," he said.

Lavrov said that he has already handed over the proposal to al-Moallem and expects a "quick, and, hopefully, positive answer."

Al-Moallem said his government was ready to host the U.N. team, and insisted that Syria is ready to use all channels to convince the Americans that it wasn't behind the attack.

He added that Syria was ready for "full cooperation with Russia to remove any pretext for aggression.".....snip~

Russia to push Syria to surrender chemical weapons

According to this Putin worked to chance out a deal with Assad giving up the Chems. As you can see Lavrov has been in contact with Syria over it, already. With Syria saying they would use every channel they could to prove to the Americans that the Regime was not responsible for that Chem attack.

Why would Putin do this knowing the House here was showing they aren't in line with the Senate and Obama? Unless he knew Obama would get authorization or would act without it. Course if it works and keeps the US out of assisting the Rebels. Then Putin would have scored a victory with this one. While at the same time assuring the Rebels will keep on taking some more ass-kickings.

Pretty good synopsis my friend.

Thanks Pero
thanks.png
.....glad to see you back my friend. Might want to check around in the International Forums. I have been.....busy. ;) :shock:

That will have to wait, I have to go pick up my granddaughter from school in a few minutes and then it is time to babysit. Probably for the rest of the day. I hope life has been good to you. Grandkids, you gotta love them.

That will have to wait, I have to go pick up my granddaughter from school in a few minutes and then it is time to babysit. Probably for the rest of the day. I hope life has been good to you. Grandkids, you gotta love them.

NP.....enjoy your time. Hopefully one day I will get to see the same. ;)

Back
Top Bottom